Started on: 08-12-2013 01:45 AM
Replies: 13 (1088 views)
Last post by: Rare87GT on 08-15-2013 01:34 AM
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well nothing against Purple Reign, but after 10 years of having his Low mount setup the welds decided to finally give way. Anyone have any different or better setups to still utilize a Fiero alternator? I would be interested if it's something that works better than this. Going to see about having it re-TIG welded for now.

Here are the pics.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I see, the actual welds didn't break, it was the bracket that snapped. A broken weld fracture doesn't have that clean of a break. Considering that it's a custom part in use for 10 years, and considering how that area is a weak point with stresses on opposite ends, I'd say it did pretty well.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-13-2013).]

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah it did hold up well for being 10 years old. I didn't want to hurt any feelings or talk trash on the design, just more or less show what happened to me. Hopefully it can be re welded. And I was wanting to see if Shawn ever had one of his brackets break like that.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has happened to several low mounts of that style over the years. I cant think of anyone making them still either that use the Fiero alt. I know FieroX made a few runs of a low mount style that used the Fiero Alt but u had to come up with u own tensioner setup.

rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am just in the process of finishing my own custom bracket, I am using an MSD 160 amp brushless, it's a very nice alternator with a billet case but it's discontinued for a while now, I have another MSD #5110 on my T-Top, Summit sent me the wrong mounting kit, no point in returning it because I'll never find another tall mount kit, so I made up a bracket.

It fits nice on my 3800 N/A series 3.

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does Darth use?
PURPLE REIGN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
10 years eh ??? Not to bad considering that's only the second one I've seen fail. Mine has bee in 10 years too, so you got one of the real early produced one's. BTW, where is your lower brace for that ??? Cause all of them made had to have a lower brace, or they were guaranteed to break. That cast aluminum isn't that great.

------------------

MINNESOTA MAFIA Real men get blown If you're going to run your mouth make sure the proof isn't all over the net that you're full of sh!t.
87 GT MP-112 powered, 3800 Supercharged on 19's 372 rwhp & tuning____88 GT T-top 1 of very few, 000,204.1 miles
87 GT custom______90 Grand prix STE Turbo_____2007GSXR 1000
Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD, Ya want to hit it, but are afraid of the consequences.
IF YOU AIN'T BREAKING STUFF..................IT AIN'T MODDED ENOUGH
If your'e not living on the edge..........you're taking up too much room.
Best Fiero mounts available

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

10 years eh ??? Not to bad considering that's only the second one I've seen fail. Mine has bee in 10 years too, so you got one of the real early produced one's. BTW, where is your lower brace for that ??? Cause all of them made had to have a lower brace, or they were guaranteed to break. That cast aluminum isn't that great.

Yeah 10 years! It's been that long. Crazy huh! I didn't realize I've had my 3800 swap for that long. I don't have that lower brace, I don't remember ever having one. Do you still have it or what do you recommend to use? If you still have the lower brace, I would love to get one from you. Let me know and glad you are still around on here.

Later,
Amir
LoW_KeY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine broke too... I made attempts at tightning bolt down and slider ear broke, friend fixed it and noticed other cracks on it. Back to dawing boards next year and hopefully turbo

Flexing and 10 years do wonders

------------------

3800 SC/IC Formula whines more than your girl...
08 Cobalt SS TC - ZZP tuned, K&N SRI, 6k HID's 13.31@107
07 HHR - Wifes (tried to have her get the SS)

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 08-12-2013).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always mount alternators using steel rather than aluminum. While aluminum brackets work they won't last with vibration and flex. Still 10 years from a bracket pieced together from 30 year old parts isn't that bad.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any pics of their low mount alternator setup if it's different than Purple Reigns? I run the custom Meizire water pump so I have a tensioner that was custom made at the bottom for extra tension on the belt.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero38SC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero38SC:

Here are options:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/112125.html

Thanks!
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well ended up getting a friend to TIG weld this at his work. Turned out great after it was blasted. I have another 3800 dog bone bracket and v6 alternator bracket that I'm going to have pieced together and welded at his work. If any of you guys are interested I would possibly be interested in offering them to you all and start buying these in and having a few setup and ready to ship as needed. It would just be the bracket itself and then the tensioner and pulley could be purchased elsewhere but I could offer the tensioner setup with pulley after I look up the part number for mine. I'm not sure if Shawn (Purple Reign) still offers his low mount alternator setup, if he does, I won't interfer, but if he didn't I could take over and produce these for the 3800 guys if he's not doing these anymore. Let me know.

Here is a pic of the fixed bracket setup.

Thanks,
Amir

[This message has been edited by Rare87GT (edited 08-15-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock