Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Cracks on bumper cover, repairable or replace cover?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Cracks on bumper cover, repairable or replace cover? by CoolBlue87GT
Started on: 08-05-2013 02:45 PM
Replies: 8 (608 views)
Last post by: Firefox on 08-10-2013 10:38 PM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cracks are in the circled area. Repairable or replace cover? Advice needed. Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
amflyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
repairable with no problem!
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like just cracks in the paint - I agree either way, easily repairable.
Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it should be repairable but no guarantees. Yes, the paint is cracked and hopefully that's all but in some cases I have seen bumper covers stripped down and repainted and then some of the cracks reappeared. What ended up happening was the surface of the cover was stretched so far that the surface cracked but did not crack all the way through. When the paint was stripped the cracks were not repaired....and the new paint applied over those cracks then showed those cracks later. The best solution I've seen was sending the covers out for stripping by Keystone Automotive. I have not had a cover that was repaired by them have the cracking reappear. I don't know if it is the method they use or if they inspect the covers for damage ( and repair ) that well but I've been thrilled with the results of having a cover stripped and sent back to me in primer and ready to paint. That plus with no paint on the cover you are painting a cover as close to new as you can get.

So yes, it should be able to be fixed.....if done right.

Mark the paint guy
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by amflyer:

repairable with no problem!

Originally posted by animal:

Looks like just cracks in the paint - I agree either way, easily repairable.

Originally posted by Firefox:

I think it should be repairable but no guarantees. Yes, the paint is cracked and hopefully that's all but in some cases I have seen bumper covers stripped down and repainted and then some of the cracks reappeared. What ended up happening was the surface of the cover was stretched so far that the surface cracked but did not crack all the way through. When the paint was stripped the cracks were not repaired....and the new paint applied over those cracks then showed those cracks later. The best solution I've seen was sending the covers out for stripping by Keystone Automotive. I have not had a cover that was repaired by them have the cracking reappear. I don't know if it is the method they use or if they inspect the covers for damage ( and repair ) that well but I've been thrilled with the results of having a cover stripped and sent back to me in primer and ready to paint. That plus with no paint on the cover you are painting a cover as close to new as you can get.

Mark the paint guy

Thanks for replies, this is on the TDI Fiero, was told it was painted by MACCO, they did a horrible job. There are area's that look like very little prep work was ever done,

Can't wait to send the car to my painter for a panel off repainting. He did a great job with my other car.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stick with the paint shop that did you Formula. That shop did an amazing job, plus
took care of you. No many shops do quality work and care about the customers special
or antique automobiles.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mark the paint guy

Mark, Ive dealt with Keystone for many years. I think the secret is they use waterborne latex primer. I know the parts I get specificly say to 'sand lightly or scuff' but not to go thru the primer.

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What does Keystone charge for this service?

Mark the paint guy

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last time I had covers done I was quoted about $225 for each cover. I set up a business account with them so I did get a cheaper price so if you know someone in the body business they should be able to get it done for a bit less than that quote unless there is a lot of damage to repair. But.....it is well worth the cost. Hand and power sanding will not give you the same results and as I mentioned when it's done right you end up with as close to a new cover as you can get.

I highly recommend it. I will never hand sand a complete cover again as the time it takes to hand sand is more expensive than Keystone in time alone.....

Mark

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock