Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  7730 ECM, does anyone make a complete kit?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
7730 ECM, does anyone make a complete kit? by JCircs
Started on: 08-03-2013 10:51 AM
Replies: 15 (1467 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 08-10-2013 02:21 PM
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thinking of switching to 7730 and possibly DIS on my 3.4 turbo, any suggestions on a complete kit with harnes?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really hate electrical work and the 7730 swap was still a piece of cake using the repinning method. The hardest thing was the crank sensor and related hardware/wiring if you do DIS. Alhough the 3.4 might be different/easier bc of provisions for a crank sensor...or is that the 3400 I'm thinking of? I'm sure someone else can add to this better than I can.

------------------

My turbo build

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Supposedly phonedawgz makes a plug-and-play rewiring harness, although he stopped responding to my PMs. I ended up using Sinister Performance's repinning table which wasn't too bad to do, the table was spot-on.

The 3.4 and 3400 have the crank sensor provisions which does make it a lot easier to use DIS. You will have to use an external sensor of some kind for the 2.8.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[ I ended up using Sinister Performance's repinning table which wasn't too bad to do, the table was spot-on.

Does the 7730 use the same plugs with the wires being moved around or do I need to repin a new plug?

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 08-05-2013).]

hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will have to repin the wires from the old plug to the 7730 plug. Phonedawgs does offer the wiring harness, I bought mine from him and it works great. Everything is labeled and very easy to hook up. I had him do a dis harness for the 7730. I could have done it myself, but i did not want to mess it up so i went with him.

Hywel
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

Does the 7730 use the same plugs with the wires being moved around or do I need to repin a new plug?

Two of the plugs are the same and then there's a third new plug.

How I did it (which I found to be straightforward) is to have a separate set of plugs for the 7730 and move the wires over, one at a time. It's much easier to keep track of wires this way. When you get a donor computer, just cut off the harness and keep the plugs.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I'm trying to purchase a 1227730 (7730) ECM, is there anything I should look for? Does it matter what car it came from, or if it was an auto or manual transmission? Are the later ones any better? Thanks for the info....
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok so I'm trying to purchase a 1227730 (7730) ECM, is there anything I should look for? Does it matter what car it came from, or if it was an auto or manual transmission? Are the later ones any better? Thanks for the info....

Can anyone answer my questions above?
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can anyone answer my questions above?

It won't matter auto/manual or which car if you're using a custom chip, which I assume you are. As for later ones...I doubt it but newer might not hurt.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Ryan.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All 1227730 ECMs are the same whether they came in a car that had a 4cyl, V6, or V8. GM also produced the exact same ECM with different Service Numbers: 16196344 and 16198262. I believe there are 1 or 2 more numbers that cross to the 7730 but I can't remember what they are at the moment. All 1227730 ECMs (and compatible Serv.No. ECMs) will have 2 black connectors and 1 yellow connector.

Most 1227730 ECMs you find in the junkyard are going to be installed in V6 applications. You need a stock V6 mem-cal (contains the EPROM chip, knock sensor interface module, and cal-pak IC chips) if you are going to use this ECM in a V6 application. It does NOT matter if the donor car had a manual trans, auto trans, had DIS, or a distributor. Any V6 mem-cal should work. You can even use a V6 mem-cal from a 1227727 ECM. The 1227727 ECM is the underhood-mounted version of the 7730 ECM (has different case and connectors).

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 08-08-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you also Darth.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
16196404 is also another compatible service number for the 1227730.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002
sorry, posted in wrong thread.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 08-09-2013).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will a distributer blank and a knock sensor from a 2.8 Fiero motor be the same for my 3.4pr?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The distributer blank from any DIS 2.8/ 3.1 / 3.4 / 3100 / 3400 V6 should fit. I've been told that the knock sensor needs to match the MEMCAL chip (i.e same make/model/engine). But I'm not sure how much truth there is to this.

Edit to add: the Fiero never came with a knock sensor.

I did the distributer to DIS swap on my 3.4 V6, and it was easy. I used a Fiero V6 wiring harness, and spliced in the DIS setup from a 3100 SFI V6. It was almost a direct wire-for-wire swap (even the wire colors were the same), with one exception. The DIS has two white wires, instead of one. One of them goes to the tachometer, and the other goes to the ECM. Then I re-flashed the ECM with a DIS compatible bin file.

I don't think any of the stock 7730 ECMs will be able to run your engine properly. So you'll have to have the ECM reprogrammed, anyway. Which means it won't really matter what car the ECM comes from.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 08-10-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock