Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  See what I bought for the car, now mama may send me to the dog house. ZZP!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
See what I bought for the car, now mama may send me to the dog house. ZZP! by solotwo
Started on: 08-01-2013 04:58 PM
Replies: 28 (1238 views)
Last post by: topcat on 09-07-2014 05:16 PM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got these today as I am tired of the miss that's been there since I bought the car.. PO installed MSD. ZZP & Sinster says they are problematic with 3800's!

Steve came out and looked at the car and were the coils are and measured approx. and thought the std wire set would fit. Well so far they do but it is tight.

I am waiting for the engine to cool then tackle the back 3. They look like they may be to short. We will see. Them is expensive and being unemployed mama is going to send me to the dog house. LOL They don't give a fella a break even if you are unemployed. LOL

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My question is why two wires below the super charger and one above? I think it would look better one way or the other.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspect to keep them from drooping below the sc and hitting something that might damage them? Maybe it's a temporary solution until he finds something better?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because the wires were not long enough to go around the front of the engine and over to the coils. Only two wires would fit under the snout as the PO installed a coolant hose and a vacuum line underneath the snout. It is going to have to work as I blew all the extra on these. Cant afford custom wires. I could buy groceries for a week with what I paid for these. LOL
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is nothing wrong with MSD wires plain and simple. Most ppl have issues with them cause they do not assemble then correctly. The wires are routed that way cause they are made to be used on the Grand Prix where the coils are mounted in the stock location. Should have had PRJ make u a custom length set so they would be the proper length.

Edit to add: Dont be surprised that ur miss is still there after the wire swap. I have found most miss issues end up being a bad coil.

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 08-01-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

There is nothing wrong with MSD wires plain and simple. Most ppl have issues with them cause they do not assemble then correctly.

Truth.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ever, I am not arguing or want to start a fight. I just know many on the forum and several highly respected professionals have suggest that may be my problem. I know when I took them off they looked like 70,000 - 100,000 wires and they supposedly were only on the car for 10-15k. That's what the PO said, though some pictures he posted of the swap showed red wires. I don't know what color MSD's are as he wrapped electrical tape on each individual wire also besides wrapping all 3 together front set and rear set. Hard brittle several broke. Yes I have a good set of wire pullers.

Thanks,

UPDATE: I took the electrical tape off one of the wires. It was red. Good looking wires.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 08-08-2013).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

There is nothing wrong with MSD wires plain and simple. Most ppl have issues with them cause they do not assemble then correctly. The wires are routed that way cause they are made to be used on the Grand Prix where the coils are mounted in the stock location. Should have had PRJ make u a custom length set so they would be the proper length.

Edit to add: Dont be surprised that ur miss is still there after the wire swap. I have found most miss issues end up being a bad coil.

Well I didnt install them so who knows? Came on the car and the front 3 were all wrapped in electrical tape together and the back 3 the same way.

Thanks for the heads up on the coil, that is good to know.

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

My question is why two wires below the super charger and one above? I think it would look better one way or the other.

I played around with it and will post a pic here shortly.
Here is an updated picture.

Oh and I am not in the dog house. Yee haw as Batousia666 would say.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 08-02-2013).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the rest of the plug wires installed tonight. As Batouisa666 would say shazaamm. Now I know how it accelerates.
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks MUCH better! Sorry for giving you a hard time about it, when I took a second look at the pics I saw just how short they are. Glad you were able to make them fit better, I know that would have bugged me every time I opened the deck lid.
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

Looks MUCH better! Sorry for giving you a hard time about it, when I took a second look at the pics I saw just how short they are. Glad you were able to make them fit better, I know that would have bugged me every time I opened the deck lid.

Not a problem. You were correct it looked ummm............ bad. Now it looks better. Hey finished up last night getting the other plug wires on. Wow what a difference. This car never ran this good since I bought back in Jan. I took it for a short drive last night and with the heavy traffic I was able to get 1/2 to 3/4 throttle opening. Wow this thing goes. Doing this with the other plug wires it would miss big time!

Oh when I went out for the short drive I followed a White NEW 2014 CORVETTE STINGRAY. I thought these were not released to the public yet? Followed it south on East Beltline and then west onto the I-96 I-196 junction. Traffic was to heavy in that area- 2 expressways joined in this area, to get closer to it. The new Corvette looks so much better in life than in pictures! I think it sets about the same height as a Fiero.

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a swapped in 3800SC III and I had some different plug wires. When I took it to Sinister Performance to have it live tuned it had a little bit of hesitation/miss at about 5800 RPM. Ryan speculated that it might be the plug wires after he had changed the plugs and done some other things. He suggested that I install a set of Crane Cams Fire Wire 8.5 mm wires. They have a 45 degree head on the plug side of the wires and you cut them to length. The part number he suggested is 255-0083.

After I changed the wires it had less of a hesitation at the higher RPM. I don't go there very often though, since if you drive it where it is shifting at 5800 RPM you are going pretty fast at the end of 1st and way over the speed limit at the end of second. I have to stay away from tickets since I really do like to drive.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

I have a swapped in 3800SC III and I had some different plug wires. When I took it to Sinister Performance to have it live tuned it had a little bit of hesitation/miss at about 5800 RPM. Ryan speculated that it might be the plug wires after he had changed the plugs and done some other things. He suggested that I install a set of Crane Cams Fire Wire 8.5 mm wires. They have a 45 degree head on the plug side of the wires and you cut them to length. The part number he suggested is 255-0083.

After I changed the wires it had less of a hesitation at the higher RPM. I don't go there very often though, since if you drive it where it is shifting at 5800 RPM you are going pretty fast at the end of 1st and way over the speed limit at the end of second. I have to stay away from tickets since I really do like to drive.

The PO of my car had Ryan program the ECU. I contacted Ryan and he said he has heard of more problems from 3800SC owners with the brand of wires that I had than any other brand. ZZP basically said the same thing.
It idles quieter and smoother, runs a little quieter and smoother and I can now accelerate in 4th lock up at speeds 55 and under with out getting massive random missing. Feels like I have a different car now. LOL
Man does this bugger scoot now! I have to be careful as I cant afford a ticket being I am unemployed! LOL
Thanks to all for the input. I really do appericate it!

amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We replaced our JUNK set of MSD wires with a custom set from Taylor Wires. They are number one in my book

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom
President of Maryland Fiero Owners Club MFOC
NYFOC Member

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I was regapping the plugs tonight and found 5 out of 7. Yes I said 5 out of 7 as I bought and replaced a wire a month ago. 5 OUT OF 7 boots are defective! So my advice is do not purchase these expensive wires from ZZP! I am contacting them with this situation on their product. It seems the heat from the 3800 in Fieros breaks down the boots.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by amflyer:

We replaced our JUNK set of MSD wires with a custom set from Taylor Wires. They are number one in my book

I have heard from reliable sources they are the best. Also heard from others that MSD sometimes have issues.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Magnecor KV85 wires in Red - I have them on my GT and Indy SD4.
Order the lengths you want with the boots you want.
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-03-2014).]

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Magnecor KV85 wires in Red - I have them on my GT and Indy SD4.

Ughh. I got fooled into buying a set of those shitty Magnecors a few years ago. Their office/production facility is in my home town so I walked in and bought a set driectly from them. That set of wires failed within the first 100 miles. $140 flushed down the toilet. I pulled the boots of that set of Magnecore garbage and have been making my ignition cables myself since then. I use either MSD 8.5 or Taylor 8mm Spiro-Pro wires, and I always use the MSD terminals. Never had any issue with wires I made myself.

To the OP - when you get employed you can concern yourself with getting a better set of wires. 10.5mm wires is absolutely unecessary for your application.

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To the OP "when you get employed" Who are you referring to son? I am employed if remark was pointed to me.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 09-03-2014).]

Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

The PO of my car had Ryan program the ECU. I contacted Ryan and he said he has heard of more problems from 3800SC owners with the brand of wires that I had than any other brand. ZZP basically said the same thing.
It idles quieter and smoother, runs a little quieter and smoother and I can now accelerate in 4th lock up at speeds 55 and under with out getting massive random missing. Feels like I have a different car now. LOL
Man does this bugger scoot now! I have to be careful as I cant afford a ticket being I am unemployed! LOL
Thanks to all for the input. I really do appericate it!

To the OP "when you get employed" Who are you referring to son? I am employed if remark was pointed to me.

I think that is what he was referring to....

[This message has been edited by Jason88Notchie (edited 09-03-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would tend to agree that MSD 8.5MM superconductor wires are of good quality but the bad reports probably indicate that much of problem can be caused by the person cutting them to size and crimping on the connectors. After 3 years my MSD wires still look new. I just might take them off and do a resistance test but I am skeptical of why "the professionals" would say that they are problematic. This season my 3800SC developed a light raspy off idle intermittent popping sound from the exhaust. As I refill the tank with fresh gasoline the engine is runs smoother. Fieros that are driven strictly as show or cruise cars can suffer from contaminated or stale gas condition. If you let a Fiero sit for months without running it water condensation and stale gas quickly become a problem.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any plug wire on the 3800, you almost "NEED" to run plug wire boot protectors. It's 100% necessary and I haven't ever had a single issue. I also recommend going with PRJ plug wires that are custom made for your application based on how long each wire needs to be or make your own obviously. I went with Taylor wires and PRJ made them perfect for me. Still using the same boot protectors from 6 years ago. I think you will have much much better look with adding those. They will run you around $40-60 depending on what you get, but well worth it.

------------------

Best 1/4: 11.7 @ 115mph
Best 60ft: 1.60

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of the boots. The gobbledygook is black electrical tape that melted. I used as temp fix so I could get to work.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yea, I pretty much think he was talking about you, based on what YOU said:

Them is expensive and being unemployed mama is going to send me to the dog house. LOL

They don't give a fella a break even if you are unemployed. LOL

I cant afford a ticket being I am unemployed!

batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

if you look a lot can change over a year.....sheesh!!!

as the Batousai says......PEEEEEEEOWN!!!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by batousai666:

if you look a lot can change over a year.....sheesh!!!

So you are saying he does not remember he was unemployed a year ago?

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 09-07-2014).]

batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no it seems we forgot

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 09-07-2014).]

topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been running MSD wires on my 3800 for about 9 years, without a boot protector, and have never had any issues with the wires failing. I am not sure what special about my wires, but the boot is a thick silicon that is very pliable, and silicon is naturally heat resistant.

I tend to agree with Mstang - those that have issues with MSD wires are probably a result of poor assembly. You do have to cut them to fit, and crimp the boots. If you don't use the right tools, the crimp will fail.

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

Any plug wire on the 3800, you almost "NEED" to run plug wire boot protectors. It's 100% necessary and I haven't ever had a single issue. I also recommend going with PRJ plug wires that are custom made for your application based on how long each wire needs to be or make your own obviously. I went with Taylor wires and PRJ made them perfect for me. Still using the same boot protectors from 6 years ago. I think you will have much much better look with adding those. They will run you around $40-60 depending on what you get, but well worth it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock