85 Fiero GT only notchbacks ??? by fiero2man
Started on: 07-22-2013 02:14 PM
Replies: 36 (675 views)
Last post by: dobey on 07-24-2013 02:59 PM
fiero2man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2manSend a Private Message to fiero2manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See a 85 Fiero GT on Craigs that is not a Notchback. Is that possible ???? I thought they changed the roof shape on the GT's in 86...comments please....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had to have converted it. 84 / 85 only had notchbacks

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 BMW 328 1997 Explorer 4X4 XLT

FieroNews

[This message has been edited by Fiero Thomas (edited 07-22-2013).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero2man:

See a 85 Fiero GT on Craigs that is not a Notchback. Is that possible ???? I thought they changed the roof shape on the GT's in 86...comments please....

You are correct, body swap / wrong year listed, frankenstein... etc something isnt right. Link?
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 was the only year for the notchback GT as 86 1/2 changed to the fast back.

The 85 GT body was only used in 84 on the pace car and in 86 on the SE models.

Now there were may other options like the notch back with coupe nose in 85 that came with the GT V6 and W6S suspension. So you could get a SE or base sport coupe that had all the GT mechanicals.

I have a SE 2M6 1985 that looks like a SE coupe but I have the GT suspension, engine and interior less the emblems.

Any 84 and 85 is a body swap.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 07-22-2013).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86-88 had the fastback. 85 you could get a GT, but it was a notchback. Same body style as 84 Indy, 86-87SE.

BTW, there is no "86.5" GT, the GT came out about mid year, and there was only the 86SE at the start of the year.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

86-88 had the fastback. 85 you could get a GT, but it was a notchback. Same body style as 84 Indy, 86-87SE.

BTW, there is no "86.5" GT, the GT came out about mid year, and there was only the 86SE at the start of the year.

I had an 86SE with a Duke back in 90. At the time I thought it was pretty common but I haven't seen one equipped quite the same way since. It was Silver/black, 4cyl/5-speed, SE designations on the sails. Luggage rack and no 2m4 or anything on the back

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 07-22-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

92wastheyear

418 posts
Member since Jun 2013

Sounds a lot like this "Fake 84" we were discussing

Consensus was that it was actually an 85 Fierenstien ....probably what you have too.

PS post the Craigslist ad (if it has pics)

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

92wastheyear

418 posts
Member since Jun 2013
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

92wastheyear

418 posts
Member since Jun 2013
You pay $15K for this one....but you can't test drive it!!! ....But don't worry ...he is willing to take you for a ride.
fiero2man

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-22-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2manSend a Private Message to fiero2manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car has to be a fake. How do I forward the Chicago Craigs listing and obnoxious emails sent to me to pennocks. This guy is a scam artist with his rebuilt 85 GT fastback. Replys please.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps this one is just a simple misunderstanding

http://greenville.craigslis.../cto/3857805548.html
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry but 86.5 is also acceptable as it was a mid year intro. It is common to use this to show a car was only a half year model.

Back in the day many of the dealers even listed them as this when new.

Not a big deal but not wrong either.

Ridgelandbaseball

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it not true also that the first 86GT's had the Muncie 4 speed (I test drove one that was for sale) and sometime during the model year were switched the the getrag 5 speed. I always thought they were the 86.5 when the getrag was introduced.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This car has to be a fake. How do I forward the Chicago Craigs listing and obnoxious emails sent to me to pennocks. This guy is a scam artist with his rebuilt 85 GT fastback. Replys please.

Highlight the text, right click, select copy, come to PFF, hit reply to topic, place cursor in the text box, right click again, select paste and then push submit reply. It's not really that hard to do.

Watch, I'll do it 5 times right now...

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-23-2013).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Sorry but 86.5 is also acceptable as it was a mid year intro. It is common to use this to show a car was only a half year model.

Back in the day many of the dealers even listed them as this when new.

Not a big deal but not wrong either.

Can you show me an pre 86.5 GT? Using this same logic, I owned an '83.75 Fiero, as it was built in late '83. The 86 GT is just that... no .5. I know people like to say it, because it sounds unique... special, but it isn't... it is just an 86GT.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by Ridgelandbaseball:

Is it not true also that the first 86GT's had the Muncie 4 speed (I test drove one that was for sale) and sometime during the model year were switched the the getrag 5 speed. I always thought they were the 86.5 when the getrag was introduced.

Nope, it was a PR gimmick to say 86.5 GT. Is there an 86.5SE (it could also have the getrag, I believe)?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nope, it was a PR gimmick to say 86.5 GT. Is there an 86.5SE (it could also have the getrag, I believe)?

But it is true they switched trannys part way thru from what I understand. Regardless of what they call it. Would you agree.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

But it is true they switched trannys part way thru from what I understand. Regardless of what they call it. Would you agree.

Sorry, I don't agree. There is nothing special about switching trannies... just a different option on the same model of car.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, I don't agree. There is nothing special about switching trannies... just a different option on the same model of car.

So you could get a muncie in late 86 -88?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you could get a muncie in late 86 -88?

If different tires were selected from another manufacturer during midyear production, would that be an 87.5?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trannies, tires, engines, noses, tailpipes, Formula, GT, basecoupe,...

I'm just confirming one transmission stopped being offered, and another one was offered instead. In which case Ridgelandbaseballs statement about transmissions is correct. People may call it "and a half" in error or not.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-23-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure about 86, as they probably offered both transmissions at one time (due to inventory), but in 87 the 4 speed wasn't offered anymore.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am not sure about 86, as they probably offered both transmissions at one time (due to inventory), but in 87 the 4 speed wasn't offered anymore.

When refererred to as offered, would that mean on the dealer lot if you found it, or you could choose to order it with either tranny?

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When refererred to as offered, would that men on the dealer lot if you found it, or you could choose to order it with either tranny?

"I am not sure..." Anyone have an '86 V6, 4 speed, built in say.... sept-dec?

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"I am not sure..." Anyone have an '86 V6, 4 speed, built in say.... sept-dec?

I have an 1986 V6 GT sept. it has an 4 speed ...but swapped to 5.7L

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

I have an 1986 V6 GT sept. it has an 4 speed ...but swapped to 5.7L

So originally was a 4 speed muncie built in Sept? If so then both trannys were offered last half of 86, ALTHOUGH, you are in Canada, all bets may be off of the car is from up there

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You have every right to disagree but I lived through the time and can relate what was said and stated back then. It was just as I said a common way to show a car as a half year model back then as it is today. In some cases like my 04 GTP they started selling them in March of 2003 but they were what many called early 04 models. There is no hard fast rules here and it is just all in the way the industry tries to relate when a car was released.

You can call it what ever makes you happy. I am not as anal and I can deal with it. LOL!
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dburger:

Perhaps this one is just a simple misunderstanding

http://greenville.craigslis.../cto/3857805548.html

Hey!! Look!! He has the very special Hot Air Intake setup.

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by n7vrz:

Hey!! Look!! He has the very special Hot Air Intake setup.

And secondary gauges, and a hacked up '84 decklid, and 86-up GT seats, and I'm sure there's something else to be found if checking it out in person... like a lot of old cars, it's getting harder to find one that's exactly as it left the factory. I won't sweat it.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

And secondary gauges, and a hacked up '84 decklid, and 86-up GT seats, and I'm sure there's something else to be found if checking it out in person... like a lot of old cars, it's getting harder to find one that's exactly as it left the factory. I won't sweat it.

I like how the "body kit" is probably a body off an Indy swapped onto an 86 GT frame.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I like how the "body kit" is probably a body off an Indy swapped onto an 86 GT frame.

Ohh... God, I hope not. Kind of hoping it's just a Frankenstein build.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

You have every right to disagree but I lived through the time and can relate what was said and stated back then. It was just as I said a common way to show a car as a half year model back then as it is today. In some cases like my 04 GTP they started selling them in March of 2003 but they were what many called early 04 models. There is no hard fast rules here and it is just all in the way the industry tries to relate when a car was released.

You can call it what ever makes you happy. I am not as anal and I can deal with it. LOL!

It is not about being anal, it is about being correct. I also lived through that time and it was just a PR comment, nothing more.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm betting Danyel's 86GT was built in September of '85. Model years changed around June or July, didn't they? So they wouldn't have made an '86 in September of the '87 model year. I have an 86 (1/2) SE with the Getrag and there's nothing on the title that indicates '86.5. We also own an 86GT and it's also titled as just a plain '86. That description probably came about to identify those with the Getrag, but interestingly enough like Jaskispyder questioned, that it's only been applied to the GT.

The 86 model year is somewhat unique in that it was the only year that all forms of transmissions were offered. 4-speed, 5-speed Isuzu, 5-speed Getrag, and THM125 automatic.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

Ohh... God, I hope not. Kind of hoping it's just a Frankenstein build.

Well, I'm guessing Indy because of the decklid.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Well, I'm guessing Indy because of the decklid.

An Indy would have had a factory spoiler on it though. I think it's a normal 84 lid.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So much angst...
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2013 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dburger:
An Indy would have had a factory spoiler on it though. I think it's a normal 84 lid.

Sure, and an 86 GT would have been a fastback. The ad's gone now though, so I can't look at it again and see if it has the 84 blanks, or the 85+ vents on the sides. But the car obviously had body work, so it's certainly possible that whoever did it, didn't like the wing, and left it off, filling in the holes.

There are a large number of possibilities for what could have been done to that car. I just think it is amusing, and apropos to these sorts of threads, if it was a body off an Indy.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock