Started on: 07-21-2013 10:59 PM
Replies: 6 (318 views)
Last post by: diabloroadster on 07-22-2013 10:33 PM
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

If you had the ability to build a custom chassis over a Fiero chassis. Lets just say you're building a Lambo Diablo to keep it easy.

Which would you do?

MY problem lies in the lack of keeping safe of a custom chassis, like having no metal in the door to absorb damage.

I am unsure of going custom chassis.

So, if you could choose custom chassis or a Fiero, what would you use?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What cost factor?
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if cost is factor I would go with Fiero chassis, you will be few steps ahead with the brakes wiring etc. but if you are willing to spend the money custom chassis is good way to go and will have a higher value if done correctly but will also have a much higher build cost

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cost not a issue, I'd go custom in a heartbeat.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Custom chassis, maybe even somethign that is not steel, why would you not have metal in the door? If its custom you decide where the metal goes.
Michiganman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganmanSend a Private Message to MichiganmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero.
diabloroadster

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would decide how I was going to be driving the car once its done, (ie racing/performance driving/ect) before I decided what kind of chassis I wanted to use. I used a '85 Fiero tub and '88 front and rear suspension on my Diablo Roadster but I knew up front I wasnt going to be doing any "real" competition driving/racing with this project. I just wanted a fun driver to cruise around and do some road trips in. Although its not a perfect ride and lacks a true exotic performing suspension but its not all that bad either.

Another thing for me that kept me staying with the Fiero chassis was my drivetrain. If I was going to do longitudual setup with a Porsche transmission (or similar) I would have went with a custom chassis. But staying with the transverse setup it also made more sense to go with the Fiero chassis. If your planning on a high end build do it, its not like you wont be happy with a custom chassis unless its not done right.

On a side note I went and looked at a $80k (asking price) tube chassis Diablo replica in Vegas before starting building mine. Even though it was very nice and well done it was really only worth $45k in my opinion. It rode pretty good with the BMW v12/ Porsche setup but I could have purchased a real Diablo for $80k. So just something to consider, you can buy a used real Lambo and be driving it now for not that much more than it cost to build a high end replica....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock