Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Stealth Wing Stands Making a Comeback! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Stealth Wing Stands Making a Comeback! by Oslo
Started on: 07-15-2013 07:35 PM
Replies: 56 (4542 views)
Last post by: johnyrottin on 05-31-2023 12:57 PM
BOBBY D

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any update?
IP: Logged
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
firstclassfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstclassfieroSend a Private Message to firstclassfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I missed them again.
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by firstclassfiero:

I guess I missed them again.

They are Black top racing now. TLG is no longer. I got my stealth wings last year and was happy with them.

(Edit) Just looked up black top racing and did not find the stealth wings, don't know what's up but you can send email and find out if they still offer these. Good luck

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 11-28-2015).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They just disappeared from BTR's website, as in like a week or less ago.
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2015 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could try messaging them on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TopLineGroup/
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So here is what happened so everyone knows. The original wingstands looked like this:

Notice the inserts for the mounting points that were simply screwed into the stands. These became a major issue for people due to the fact that they were stripping out and actually pulling out of the stands. The original stands also had a disclaimer that stated that there were micro pinholes from the mold process that may need to be filled prior to painting.....no big deal.

Fast forward to last year. I decided to take on this project since the original manufacturer went AWOL. I took an original, reshaped it, created new molds and molded in the mounting points so they were impossible to remove without destroying the entire wingstand. Everything seemed fine and then for some reason, people started whining when they found some pinholes in my product and didn't want to take the time to fill them in. The reality is that whenever you pour a liquid product into a mold, you will get small air bubbles on some parts of the surface. The material that I use has a very fast dry time so I cannot put the mixture in a vacuum chamber to remove the bubbles prior to pouring the product. People complained about this and here we are today.....no more wingstands.

My plans are this:

Make a new mold that is a completely different type from the last one
Use a different type of resin than the past batches
Make sure that the product is flawless
And unfortunately Blacktop Racing will reflect the price increase to you due to the price increase for me

This isn't my full time job and Chris has been very understanding in my real world work schedule so if people want a flawless product that will take more time to produce, it will be flawless.....and the price will reflect that.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-29-2015).]

firstclassfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstclassfieroSend a Private Message to firstclassfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im willing to fill pinholes if you have extras left over or feel like doing a couple more sets. If not, it's completely understandable.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the Rottinchop needs a set of these!!! And we can fill some pinholes, no problem. No whining here.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 11-29-2015).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2015 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That last picture posted is my set. VERY original.

The pin holes are so irrelevant. EASILY filled in. This is the first that I have read of this, but even from a birthing age these needed a small amount of work. Minutes folks. A dime size amount of filler is over kill. I smoothed the edges down a bit to match the GT, then filled and sanded before paint. They still look like the day that I installed them years ago. I am still very happy.

I do hope that there is enough interest. Niche market and all, but probably easily adaptable for other cars.
BlackTopRacing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackTopRacingClick Here to visit BlackTopRacing's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlackTopRacingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

So here is what happened so everyone knows....

Adam, thanks for chiming in!

Yes over a year ago we changed the name of our sports car parts company to Black Top Racing. The new website address is www.blacktop.racing

Yes we removed the product from our website. We sold out and when talking to Adam about making more for us we decided that it may not be worth it to put the product into production again. If we were making 5,000 of these at once we could do it in a professional industrial level but right now we were just glad to have Adam's help to bring this product back to market. Every time we made a batch they sold out soon.

The Facebook "Fiero" group raised a bunch of concerns and when Adam and BTR had discussions about them we decided maybe if people weren't happy with them we should just pull them from the catalog all together instead of offering an inferior product.

If the demand really is there and Adam has time maybe we can bring it back for a Version 3 attempt.

------------------
www.BlackTop.Racing
For 2-seat Rear Wheel Drive Sports Car lighting, accessories and performance parts.

PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do it!
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am quite pleased with mine
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to admit if I had a GT these would have been the way I went instead of the Dodge Shadow spoiler on an notchie. I like the closer to the decklid look and the shift back in conjunction with it is even better. Personally had I had a GT and went this way, pin holes to fill would have been nothing. I mean look at all the work needed on fiberglass body parts like noses and such.
davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2015 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like Tony stated, It took me 5mins to fill pin holes, 10mins to sand and was ready for primer. Don't know what all the fuss was over two small parts that make a big deference in the appearance of your car.

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 12-01-2015).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2015 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of curiosity, how bad could it really have been, even with the pinholes? I put a home-made replacement panel on a Fiero, had a friend spray paint it, and then took the car out for an opinion. Most of the comments were positive, but someone looked at the back of the fender, and behold, no paint. Oh, well.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2023 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates? Loved your original but I sold the GT I had them on. My current GT keeps asking when it’s are arriving. I hate have to tell it to “just wait”. 😜
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock