Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Stealth Wing Stands Making a Comeback! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Stealth Wing Stands Making a Comeback! by Oslo
Started on: 07-15-2013 07:35 PM
Replies: 56 (4529 views)
Last post by: johnyrottin on 05-31-2023 12:57 PM
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been over a year now since the Stealth Wing Stands from TLG have been discontinued and today we're getting close to being able to bring them back! The original manufacturer of these wing stands went out of business and we lost touch with them and could not get the molds for the product as they were worn out and discarded. Today we are working with a new manufacturer to produce these for us and hopefully will have a prototype available very soon!

We just wanted to give you folks an update on this. If we can make it work and get these into production we are committed to keeping a decent volume in stock to make sure anyone interested is able to get a set.

Let me know if you have any questions!

------------------
Top Line Group Automotive
-Aftermarket accessories for the Fiero
www.TLG-Auto.com
Find TLG on Facebook!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
coady

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any idea what cost will be?
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! I thought they looked awesome, they were on my wish list and I was disappointed when they weren't available any more.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coady:

any idea what cost will be?

No way to estimate cost at this point.
Jon350

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jon350Send a Private Message to Jon350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll buy a set for sure
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if a set of these will end up on the Rottinchop?
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2013 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eh, they are OK I guess? . (I have my set, and they are AWESOME!)
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2013 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pics added, and a bump for an awesome product.

A comparison amongst different wings...

fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested.

Mike Parker
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is FFIEROFRED's son using this account to say this. PLEASE RELAY THIS MESSAGE TO TLG. I have one of the original TLG sets and while I absolutely love how it makes the car look, BUT I would like to make some suggestions on how to improve the design. First of all, when I installed mine on the decklid, I noticed that the forward/backward position in which I was installing mine only had the forward holes but not the rear holes for the supplied studs, so I had to drill my own for the rear studs. Second, the mounts are so narrow where it mounts to the spoiler that it does not match the underside of the spoiler, not an important detail but still. Third, the forward studs stripped out the holes, so I used a bigger stud, then that stripped out, so I just bolted it all the way through leaving me with a bolt sticking through the top of the mount which is ugly... may be a material issue but this NEEDS to be addressed. Also, these mounts use the original spoiler mounting screw locations, the problem with this is if the spoiler screw inserts are damaged/missing/rusted out/etc as not all spoilers are in mint condition, and since the mounts are so narrow it leaves no way to attach the mounts to the spoiler if the inserts are not usable. I am not saying these things in a negative attitude and mean no hard feelings toward TLG, but I've had alot of issues with my set. I would love to see these back on the site and hope my feedback will allow you to produce a better product.....I love to buy a another set.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FFIEROFRED

750 posts
Member since May 2008
PFF
System Bot
fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FFIEROFRED:

This is FFIEROFRED's son using this account to say this. PLEASE RELAY THIS MESSAGE TO TLG. I have one of the original TLG sets and while I absolutely love how it makes the car look, BUT I would like to make some suggestions on how to improve the design. First of all, when I installed mine on the decklid, I noticed that the forward/backward position in which I was installing mine only had the forward holes but not the rear holes for the supplied studs, so I had to drill my own for the rear studs. Second, the mounts are so narrow where it mounts to the spoiler that it does not match the underside of the spoiler, not an important detail but still. Third, the forward studs stripped out the holes, so I used a bigger stud, then that stripped out, so I just bolted it all the way through leaving me with a bolt sticking through the top of the mount which is ugly... may be a material issue but this NEEDS to be addressed. Also, these mounts use the original spoiler mounting screw locations, the problem with this is if the spoiler screw inserts are damaged/missing/rusted out/etc as not all spoilers are in mint condition, and since the mounts are so narrow it leaves no way to attach the mounts to the spoiler if the inserts are not usable. I am not saying these things in a negative attitude and mean no hard feelings toward TLG, but I've had alot of issues with my set. I would love to see these back on the site and hope my feedback will allow you to produce a better product.....I love to buy a another set.

These are critical issues with design in my mind. They should certainly be addressed before these are offered for sale. I can say everything I have bought from TLG has been very good quality. If I ever had an issue it was resolved quickly and professionally. I do not want to put a bolt through the stands to make them work. They need to be ready at purchase.

Mike Parker
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FFIEROFRED:

.....and since the mounts are so narrow it leaves no way to attach the mounts to the spoiler if the inserts are not usable.

Is this issue because of the way that the wing stand tapers to a slight point so it doesn't fit into the wing "groove" towards the front of the wing? Can you snap a photo of the bottom of your wing so we can see?
fieroadam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroadamSend a Private Message to fieroadamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you look at TLGs stands and the stock stands, you'll notice how wide the mounting surface of the stock mounts are compared to TLG's

Stock stands (upside down), notice the wide flat mouting surface:
http://imageshack.us/a/img3...8/20130202152712.jpg
http://cliff.hostkansas.com.../2010/DSCN1874_1.JPG

My set of TLG's leave atleast 1/2 of space on both sides, the mounting pad is very narrow. My spoiler screw inserts were in bad shape and even tried to jb weld them in place but that failed. My spoiler was damaged while in storage and untill I can find a spoiler with good screw inserts I will not install the stands onto another unit. I just installed my original spoiler that I screwed through the mounting pads to secure after the screw inserts failed in that one. Anyone who has tried to remove the stands will know what im talking about these inserts failing.

Ill have to dig my old spoiler out and take some pics of the problem areas I had. I have lots of pictures of it on the car but none of the underside.
fieroadam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroadamSend a Private Message to fieroadamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroadam

33 posts
Member since Jan 2010
Heres a few pics I took with my original spoiler and stands, you can see the extra screw toward the front I had to use to secure the stands to the spoiler after the screw inserts failed internally.

Heres the only ones I have of my set from TLG that are even close to showing the underside

This picture you can see the gap under the front of the stands before I had to drill the holes for the studs that TLG appearently forget on my set.l

Heres a picture of after I cut them down and tapered the front angle, I didnt like how long they were for my mounting position (ignore the girl). You can also see that the spoiler isnt level with the decklid like is should be because of the inserts failing. The spoiler was only held on by the two rear screws so it was always lifting off the mounts, I was afraid to go on interstate like this as I could watch the spoiler bounce as I go over bumps.

[This message has been edited by fieroadam (edited 07-21-2013).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You threw me off with your screen name change

So basically, they didn't fit in the cutout channel that is on all of the underside wing mounting locations. They were too narrow in the channel?
fieroadam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroadamSend a Private Message to fieroadamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

You threw me off with your screen name change

So basically, they didn't fit in the cutout channel that is on all of the underside wing mounting locations. They were too narrow in the channel?

Yes, and since the internal screw inserts in the spoiler were messed up in mine, it caused some real concerns. The only other way I could of attached the mounts to the spoiler was to permanetly attach using epoxy/JB weld, etc.... and I was not going to do that.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroadam:

Yes, and since the internal screw inserts in the spoiler were messed up in mine, it caused some real concerns. The only other way I could of attached the mounts to the spoiler was to permanetly attach using epoxy/JB weld, etc.... and I was not going to do that.

My only issue was not with the stands. It was with the 25 plus year old spoiler. The OG studs and insert nuts were pretty well rusted. When I removed the spoiler from my very clean GT, the insert nuts stripped on three of four holes. I went out and purchased new insert nuts, and epoxied them in. After 25 years of life, the best thing to do was spend about $10 and make new. Now, if need be, I can easily remove/install the stands and wing.

As far as fitment goes, the stands fit perfectly on my GT trunk lid. If I recall, the mounting points of the Notchies and GTs are different. I wonder why the fitment issue?

Another step that I did, and this is due to my OCD, I smoothed out the edges of the stands before prep and paint. I found them a bit square in shape, and easily rounded the edges with sandpaper.

As far as functionality goes, I find that the rear end of my GT does not get dusty any longer. The reflector doesn't gather sand and road debris like before.

Now, onto looks...

------------------

Fieroking Customs

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is just an idea that I thought about but how many people in this thread would want these molded in black rather then primer gray?
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you offer them for a hundred bucks and shipping, like they used to be, then im sure they will sell like hot cakes.

if you sell them for less, then even more so.

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 08-02-2013).]

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to point out that all the input posted in this thread has been taken into consideration. What we really need is wings that don't have rusted out nut inserts!!

PFF
System Bot
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:
What we really need is wings that don't have rusted out nut inserts!!

I second this motion*
Darksyde

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any word on these?
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a pair.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first set was sent to Chris. When he tests them and makes sure all the bases are covered, they will be in full production. I know Chris has a lot on his plate right now so he will have to chime in with an ETA.
josc916

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josc916Send a Private Message to josc916Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be willing to trade someone's factory stands for my stealth ones
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll trade! PM sent josc
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like them, but I guess my only comment is that I would like to see them with rounded edges, to match the edges of the body panels.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The old ones were made out of a plastic polymer of some sort, I always thought that making them out of aluminum would be better and you could just drill/tap the mounting holes where needed, if the original mounting points were an issue. Just a thought.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The new 2nd Generation prototypes arrived today. As soon as we get into the new building (very soon) I think we'll be able to test fit them, do an install video and authorize production. We should be able to have them ready in time for Thanksgiving or Christmas for sure, if not sooner!
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any news on these?
PFF
System Bot
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today we started filming the install video for the new stealth wing stands but had a hiccup with the mounting hardware, so we will resume shooting on Monday and we should be able to launch the product soon.
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always loved the look of these wing stands! I was so mad when they were no longer for sale. Time to add them onto my Christmas list!
Christine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am interested in a set. I would like them in gloss black then I would not have to paint them.I think it would make them appear to float as the GT is yellow and gloss black. If not gloss black I would have topaint them yellow. I will try and check this thread to see when they are available to purchase. If you have any for sale and need a buyer please email or PM me.
Fipronil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FipronilSend a Private Message to FipronilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on the new stealth wing stands? I need to replace a cracked one, and these may be a better option if available.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are currently waiting for the manufacturer to produce the first batch. We have a new install video made for them also - just waiting to get them in stock.
firstclassfiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firstclassfieroSend a Private Message to firstclassfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody ever think about doing these stands in a high gloss carbon fiber?
Also, I would love a set!
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you get any back yet? I would like a set.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe they are on the way to us now from the manufacturer.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm considering a set, running without a wing right now because it rides about in the middle of my rearview mirror.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock