What is a stock 1986 fiero gt worth , 38k original owner pristine by Drychel
Started on: 07-15-2013 06:27 PM
Replies: 24 (1302 views)
Last post by: PaulJK on 07-20-2013 04:41 AM
Drychel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrychelSend a Private Message to DrychelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Current 1986 gt original owner has 38k in pristine shape, upgrades our stereo with oem subwoofer housing and 100w external amp, lower temp sensor, thermostat , upgraded ram air with scoop, new oem clutch, no cat, runs great original ac switched from r12.
Your thoughts??? This is a 4 speed.

------------------
19861/2 Fiero GT Red-38Koriginal
Don Rychel

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Drychel:

Current 1986 gt original owner has 38k in pristine shape, upgrades our stereo with oem subwoofer housing and 100w external amp, lower temp sensor, thermostat , upgraded ram air with scoop, new oem clutch, no cat, runs great original ac switched from r12.
Your thoughts??? This is a 4 speed.

Throw up a pic...sounds awesome
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine just paid $3,000 for an 86 GT. Black with tan interior.
Power windows and locks.
Automatic
A/C
Power mirrors
Trunk release button
All original.
54,000 miles

Small rip in drivers side seat in the usual spot and a little cosmetic paint issue.

Also, try this price guide.
http://www.paulvargyas.com/Price%20Guide.htm

I hope this helps.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (Daily Driver)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fiero2man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-16-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2manSend a Private Message to fiero2manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always thought the Vargyas fiqures were "bogus"..After all, he buys and sells his "bargins" he comes across from people who don't know better. A selling price should be based on the condition and what a buyer is willing to pay and what the seller wants to sell for. Good old American Yankee business. Why should a good 84-88 Fiero sell for less then $3,000-$4000, because of some guys value list?? I always was suspect of the value guide.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cars will sell for what ever someone else is willing to pay for it. People ask the question of what something is worth, Paul's pricing is a guide. You can put any price you want on a Fiero, if it meets your price, well good for you, if no one is willing to pay for your asking price, then you let it sit until it sells.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah probly 3-4k
Its all in the eye of the beholder, and whether they got a paycheck recently.
Odin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OdinSend a Private Message to OdinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero2man:

I always thought the Vargyas fiqures were "bogus"..After all, he buys and sells his "bargins" he comes across from people who don't know better. A selling price should be based on the condition and what a buyer is willing to pay and what the seller wants to sell for. Good old American Yankee business. Why should a good 84-88 Fiero sell for less then $3,000-$4000, because of some guys value list?? I always was suspect of the value guide.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I cant see why anyone would want them to stay cheap, they are becoming rare, parts are harder to find now. The more they are worth the better for us owners. People who live in the US are generally paying much less than us Canadians. There are a bunch of 86 GT's on the Canadian autotrader and kijiji right now. The final one is for $18500. Seems that Canadian prices blow the Vargyas list out of the water, although I highly doubt this guy will get his asking price.
86 GT
86 GT
86 GT
86 GT
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends. A 100% stock car with really low miles (below 20k) should be in the 10-12k range for an '88GT. Go down from there for the older "less desirable" models. Not my words, so don't attack me!!!!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah you can list high prices, but people don't usually pay them.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I paid 4k at a dealer for this gem. 42,000 miles all original. 86 GT 4 speed upgraded stereo and factory performance sound no power locks or mirrors, every other option equipped. First fiero I ever rode in (test drive with my dad at 12 years old) and 4 years later.... they still had it for sale, lucky me!

PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Odin:

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I cant see why anyone would want them to stay cheap, they are becoming rare, parts are harder to find now. The more they are worth the better for us owners. People who live in the US are generally paying much less than us Canadians. There are a bunch of 86 GT's on the Canadian autotrader and kijiji right now. The final one is for $18500. Seems that Canadian prices blow the Vargyas list out of the water, although I highly doubt this guy will get his asking price.
86 GT
86 GT
86 GT
86 GT

I know one of these cars. It is nice. However, the price is dreaming in technicolor. A stock Fiero in Canada is likely going to go $3000 to $4000. A swapped and customized one is not going to sell for what these guys are asking. It will be more, but I would think not more than $8000.

If you want to sell the car, you might want to price it at $3900 and dicker.

Arn
fiero2man

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-17-2013 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2manSend a Private Message to fiero2manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting comments. I have to laugh when I look for Fiero's on Craigs, especially when I read the descriptions. There is a lot of crap out there not worth much BUT I see some very decent Fiero's underpriced and never sell. The Fiero market is for someone with a keen interest in sport cars or conversions. I'll never forget when I took my Fiero to a Firestone store for an oil change and they said they couldn't find the engine. I sure left in a hurry !!!
Drychel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrychelSend a Private Message to DrychelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GREAT FEED BACK on my ipad and cannot post pics, but is looks allot like the one posted. I need a car for my son to go to college. He is living at home and commuting. To buy a car with miles could cost 4 to 8 k. My goal was to let him drive it to senior prom and high scholl's a little.

I have it is in great shape and wil probably let him or a family member use it . We live in Tampa Florida so winter is not a issues. But thanks for all the feed back. You are a great group to be a part of.

------------------
Don Rychel

Drychel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrychelSend a Private Message to DrychelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Drychel

49 posts
Member since Oct 2012
If you want to see pics just search Drychel. 2 postings will come up pick the top one to see a full spead

------------------
Don Rychel

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice looking car
It would be hard for me to go higher than $3000 but thats just me.
So did you change your mind and want to sell?
fiero2man

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2manSend a Private Message to fiero2manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Side scoops I understand, some great designs thru the years..BUT...that Holley " Box" ???..a bad joke on nice cars, a shoe box with a brand name. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze !!!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL you are right, the Holley lettering is a bit much. Luckily you can detach it. I have two of them setting in a box in my garage.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-18-2013).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my perspective Fiero's are OLD cars using ancient 1980's technology. They were never expensive even when new. I view them as an ideal platform for a budget performance car. They are certainly good looking and unique but that's where it ends. No matter how good they look, bushings, bearings, hoses, belts, wires, tires, seals, cables, headlight motors, window motors, the A/C system, the cooling system, transmission, axles, engine, and suspension parts have age deteriorated by now. Chances are that a good amount of those parts will need replacement even on original low mileage Fieros. You could conceivably be better off with a higher mileage Fiero where the owner has been keeping up with the maintenance. In conclusion I would not pay more than $3500 for even the best looking stock Fiero. With a professional looking engine swap maybe in the $4000-$5500 range. Some people may decide to pay more but knowing these cars as I do, those are my limits.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You and I have known each other for 10+ yrs Dennis. With that said, I couldnt disagree more. I will always take a stock low mileage car over a high mile car anyday. Even if I am going to rip 1/2 of it out for "upgrades". Interior parts arent getting any easier to find. Good body parts and trim either. Plus, you typically don't have to go behind wannabe mechanics and fix all the crap they screwed up. My 88 is a pleasure to work on. Its very clean and tidy. Well, except for what Dean screwed up, but that is a whole different story. Working on Garth's 87 & now 85, I have found all kinds of little things I need to fix from wear and tear that aren't an issue with my 14k mile 88. Furthermore, wont be an issue for many, many years. All these little things add up rather quickly. Low mile cars are worth more up front, because they typically need far less to keep them road worthy.

YMMV
fiero2man

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-18-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2manSend a Private Message to fiero2manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This will not go any where, but Dennis is a prime example of " rationalizing the irrational". The Fiero is worth more as to value, but basic economics. of supply and demand, Vargyas's "bogus" value guide, and guys wanting something for nothing and sellers stupid enough to give in. You want quality..pay for it..stop being a Fiero Weenie, and there are a lot of them.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah it is just a guide. I mean a perfect 88 Formula (of which there are LESS made than the GT) is worth 1/2 that if a perfect '88 GT? I also dont think a perfect 88 base coupe is only a $1,900 car. Personally the 87-88 base coupe and 88 Formula are my personal fav body style.

Otherwise, when I used the numbers to come up with what my 14k mile 88GT "should" be worth, it was within $2,500 of what I paid for it. Obviously we all know I paid much more than the $9,425 PV's list says its worth.
Drychel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrychelSend a Private Message to DrychelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the thoughts . We all have a little personality in our fiero's. what it should look like and what aftermarket option we put on.

To sum it up as my 2 year old son said who is now 18 when he saw the car he said "cool car" and that is what it has been since I bought it brand new.

Enjoy your Fiero I know I do.

------------------
Don Rychel

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

From my perspective Fiero's are OLD cars using ancient 1980's technology.

No matter how good they look, bushings, bearings, hoses, belts, wires, tires, seals, cables, headlight motors, window motors, the A/C system, the cooling system, transmission, axles, engine, and suspension parts have age deteriorated by now. Chances are that a good amount of those parts will need replacement even on original low mileage Fieros. You could conceivably be better off with a higher mileage Fiero where the owner has been keeping up with the maintenance.

My experience matches this exactly. I bought an 88 Formula that had 42k original miles for $3200 from a guy in San Diego - complete with original window sticker. The owner even had a newspaper article saying how rare fieros were, how they were certain to become collector's items, and speculating that they would now be worth something like $40,000. I had more trouble with that car than i ever expected - water pump, radiator, shocks and struts, alternator, ignition parts. I was left stranded so many time the local tow truck driver was giving me discounts - No Lie. Someone is MUCH better off with a high mileage car with new parts than a car with 30 year old original stuff, like R-12 !

Even in perfect shape, a 30-year-old stock fiero would have a hard time competing with late model cars that have depreciated to less than $10k. Bought a brand new 2003 mustang GT convertible that was one of the best cars I ever owned. NO problems, plenty of power and a blast to drive. Current value probably $5 to $6 grand i you can find one that hasn't been beat up. Consider the 300zxs, mx-5 miatas, etc. and it's really not much of a contest.

The only real value I can see is for customizing.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 07-20-2013).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by fiero2man:

...guys wanting something for nothing and sellers stupid enough to give in. You want quality..pay for it..stop being a Fiero Weenie, and there are a lot of them.

EXACTLY. i've been around fieros for a pretty long time and have generally seen values do nothing but drop - cars and parts. Some guy wants a car and there are always plenty of posts from the guys who bought their perfect 88 GTs for $500 and how he should just keep looking.

That's why it pi$$es me off to see some new guy post a Want Ad for a V8 or 3800SC fiero for $3500 and get nothing but encouragement !! Make a post on the camaro forum for a $3500 Z28 or mustang forum for a $3500 shelby and see what kinda encouragement comes along. Guys with no plans or desire to buy the car always willing to post how they'd never give very much for one. Well, when it comes time to sell what you DO have and you get nothing for it, look in the mirror and say thanks .

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 07-20-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock