bad weekend by sgosser
Started on: 07-15-2013 10:46 AM
Replies: 6 (368 views)
Last post by: sgosser on 07-16-2013 12:52 PM
sgosser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This past weekend my main car was down with a gas leak so I thought I could drive my project (85 fiero) to the store real quick. The temp gauge is not to be trusted so you know where this is going. I got almost home and the temp gauge pegged out. Stupid of me to drive it like that. I do not know how long it was actually overheated. I shut it down and let cool off all day then checked the water level. It was very low so I filled it, burped it, and started the car. It immediately foamed water out the inlet on the engine. I will compression test this weekend to make sure it is what I think it is. My wife was certainly happy cause she wanted a motor swap done anyway. I did not want to was perfectly happy with the 2.8. I have read somewhere to look for a specific year model car to get a 3.4 to make it the easiest swap possible. Car has a 4 speed right now. I do not know if I can afford or even find a 5 speed so I will focus on engine for now. any suggestions? I only have hand tools and a cordless drill and the occasional help from a busy mechanic. Thanks for any suggestions.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 3.4 out of a Camaro is a direct swap so long as you move the Fiero intake and other top end parts over.

Did your car not come with A/C ? If it did, you could've forced the radiator fan on by using the switch, even if it doesn't work.
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car has a/c no belt for it and compressor looks bad haven't touched it yet. fan comes on with key. I'm thinking thermostat was the issue but not sure. car still sounds ok has a little hesitation now but there were no water leaks anywhere so it either evaporated through the bottle top or out the exhaust I guess. I have not noticed any smoke, a little at start up only which I thought was only gas, it is running too rich and idling up too high. It needs a clutch soon anyway so I have to pull the motor I guess. Might as well swap if I can. I hate to ruin a good engine though. I have put many new parts on it. I think most will swap over. Now I can call this a real project.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 is not exactly a direct swap. The starter must be moved to the other side of the block in order to clear the cv axle. If I recall correctly, and I very well may not, Rodney Dickman sells a kit that makes drilling the new holes in the 3.4 block to relocate the starter pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Edit to add: Here is the link for the kit to re-drill the 3.4 block for the required starter relocation:

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...29e188b670768f14c631

[This message has been edited by psychosurfer (edited 07-15-2013).]

sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice and link. I am sick over doing that to my car but maybe I can get it going again. Will be looking for a 3.4 very soon.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you had foamy coolant that can point to a serious problem, or at the very least it could be minor.

I would suggest you properly pressure test the system, which can be done with a tool that can be rented from places that rent tools. If you have an Autozone near you, they rent a coolant system pressure tester. You will want to test both the ability for the radiator cap to hold pressure, and pressure test the actual cooling system itself. At the very least, your radiator cap may have lost the ability to properly pressurize the system, which usually results in coolant loss or other issues.

On the other side of this, foamy coolant can suggest head gasket or some other more serious failure. In addition to head gasket failure causing the system to improperly pressurize, it can let things in like exhaust and intake mixtures into the coolant, thus causing it to foam.

If you're unsure about these situations on a Fiero, my suggestion is you check out The Orge's Cave (it's at the top of EVERY forum page here on PFF) and look up his methods for proper cooling system diagnosis and problem solutions.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 07-16-2013).]

sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to try to test the car this weekend. My best friend is a mechanic but very busy. I will try to get him to come by and help me. I will show him the info on the websites as he is unfamiliar with fieros but he is very good at figuring out problems in cars. I got this car in February and it has been abused and needs lots of work anyway. I think a good cleaning of the cooling system is needed. If it doesn't need a new engine I will at least do that. I am wondering if maybe I had a thermostat failure. What temp thermostat would be best to use? There was not one in it so I just went to parts store and bought what they looked up and had in stock. I think it was 195. IT was running straight water to. I have been slowly replacing parts to get it running right and should not have driven it yet. I will post my results from testing the car this weekend. thanks again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock