Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Where and how at all does this relate to fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where and how at all does this relate to fiero? by Phirewire
Started on: 07-08-2013 10:02 AM
Replies: 14 (494 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 07-11-2013 06:54 AM
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It doesn't relate to the Fiero.

It is a homologation built vehicle. Homologation is a term that refers to cars that have to be built to satisfy a requirement by a sanctioning body to be entered into automobile racing, similar to cars like the Ford RS200 or the Mercedes CLK-GTR. The mid 80's Pontiac 2+2 was built to satisfy homologation requirements for Pontiac's effort in NASCAR for 1986 and 1987. The cars were only built in 1986 but some got 1987 model designation.

The seller's description is a bit off though. The actual Aerocoupe cars were all white. The 2+2 models were all silver. These were the only two body options - and colors - that could be ordered. Both were equipped with a V8, that changed slightely depending on whether or not you had the standard Aerocoupe or the 2+2.

It's an extremely rare car.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When NASCAR inferred a stock car, the manufacturers were required to build cars in appearance to the cars that were raced. The Pontiac 2+2 version was one to meet those specs as was the Dodge Daytona/Plymouth Super bird. I remember looking at the 2+2 when it was at the dealer and it was several thousand $$ over the price of the basic Pontiac it was based on. No way it related to a Fiero.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Similar to the Monte Carlo Aero Coupe

I like old fastbacks, but this was one rare time a fastback didnt look good to me.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-08-2013).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that's correct it is, and I'm fairly sure its the same car platform and build wise. Just this carries a Pontiac designation to satisfy NASCAR homologation.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The two cars are very different except the frame. Body lines are different even the fenders have a lip on the MC but not on the PMD. I honestly think the Monty's window is squarer and the Pontiac's is more round and shorter. They really are two different cars. Rick B
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for clarrifying.

I've never seen one (the Pontiac) in person either so can't compare to the Monte. Just came across it some years ago in an online article and it piqued my interest relating to NASCAR.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I like old fastbacks, but this was one rare time a fastback didnt look good to me.

Agreed. Thought that were ugly then. Time [still] did not do it justice.

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My neighbor had one of these new in 87 and I think it was badged a Grand Prix, I could be wrong tho.....

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

My neighbor had one of these new in 87 and I think it was badged a Grand Prix, I could be wrong tho.....

I've seen that too.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

It doesn't relate to the Fiero.

It is a homologation built vehicle. Homologation is a term that refers to cars that have to be built to satisfy a requirement by a sanctioning body to be entered into automobile racing, similar to cars like the Ford RS200 or the Mercedes CLK-GTR. The mid 80's Pontiac 2+2 was built to satisfy homologation requirements for Pontiac's effort in NASCAR for 1986 and 1987. The cars were only built in 1986 but some got 1987 model designation.

The seller's description is a bit off though. The actual Aerocoupe cars were all white. The 2+2 models were all silver. These were the only two body options - and colors - that could be ordered. Both were equipped with a V8, that changed slightely depending on whether or not you had the standard Aerocoupe or the 2+2.

It's an extremely rare car.

Not just limited to automobile racing....racing of any type. World Super Bike requires homologation of 150 production bikes.
PFF
System Bot
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Agreed. Thought that were ugly then. Time [still] did not do it justice.

Couldn't agree more man LOL... it's an ugly car and always was no matter how rare it is. The old Monte SS was not bad tho...Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

stumpkin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stumpkinSend a Private Message to stumpkinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not related to Fiero but here is more info on one thats for sale if I have th link correct:

http://loneeagleautoclub.co...dex.php?topic=1409.0

------------------
1986 Red s/e 2m6 5-sp, & 2006 Red Solstice 5-sp
Live Strong - I Am Phil 4:13

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Hey, small world.... I've seen that car before.

(That pic was taken about 15 minutes from where I wasted my only semester of college)
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 2+2 was just Pontiac effort to make the GP more aero at a time they were racing the new Aero T birds.

The design and original car were built By Petty Enterprises and they still have the original.

The car only came one way loaded in one color. They were around $18K new and really were only built to make the body work legal.

It is cars like the Superbird and this that stock car racing is not stock anymore as companies would do anything to win.

The Superbirds and Daytonas were also seen as ugly for years till collectors found there were so few and that the racing heritage was of interest. Today every one likes them. I see the 2+2 and Monte Aero at some point being worth some money. The Aero MC is showing collector interest.

The trunk openings in both were horrible. Note the 2+2 did not get the 5.0 HO engine like the Monte.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock