New Guy with his recently acquired 1985 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 by disjaukifa
Started on: 07-05-2013 09:16 AM
Replies: 10 (1139 views)
Last post by: Fiero STS on 07-05-2013 06:41 PM
disjaukifa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for disjaukifaSend a Private Message to disjaukifaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys,

Wanted to introduce myself. My names Grant, I live in Raleigh/Durham North Carolina. I just got my first Fiero, a 1985 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 4 cylinder with a 5 speed manual transmission. Everything in the Fiero is stock, and from what I can tell its a base model.

This car has a bit of unique history, it sat in a barn for 23 years having never been driven. The story goes like this. The original owner of the car bought the car in 1985, drove the car for 4 years and died in 1989, not in the car. His family however didn't know how to drive a manual transmission so the car sat in a barn for 23 years until 2012 where it was purchased from the guy I bought it from. He spent a year getting the car on the road, and fixing stuff as he went. He decided to sell the car because we has too many other projects, 78 Trans Am, 84 Firebird, 89 Firebird, so the Fiero landed in my hands. Here's a picture of me with the car:

I've done a bunch of work to the car, I've only owned it now for 3 weeks but so far I've replaced the following:

Oil Pan <-- I'll start a thread on that one
Dash Speakers
Speakers in both Headrests
Valve Cover Gasket
Plugs
Wires
Distributor Cap
Rotor Button
Coil
Dogbone motor mount
Installed Antenna
Cleaned and Painted several items in the engine bay.

Here are some pictures of the work my best friend and I have done to the car:

Before we worked on the engine bay:

After we worked on the engine bay:

Before we fixed the tear in the seats:

Testing new speakers in seats:

Both seats installed back in the Fiero:

Old Oil Pan:

New Oil Pan:

My best friend and I put a very long and hard weekend into this car, got it back together last weekend and BOOM! Stripped the Crankshaft gear. Kind of annoying honestly BUT we have the new Steel/Aluminum gears in and the Fiero is going to be fixed this weekend.

This car is going to be my daily driver as it is fantastic on gasoline compared to my 88 C1500, 98 Blazer, and 84 Camaro. Long term I don't won't a bunch of horsepower out of the Fiero, honestly I would like to add cruise control to the Fiero, get the AC working and increase the gas mileage of the Fiero which I have read is possible.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Grant

[This message has been edited by disjaukifa (edited 07-05-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome.

Don't know what you are getting for mileage but it shouldn't take much to get reasonable mileage out of it.
I have an 85 base coupe like yours, 4 cylinder 5 speed, and it already gets in the low 40s for mileage on the highway. I have a daily driver 88 4 cylinder 5 speed and average in the mid thirties all around driving.

[This message has been edited by Fiero STS (edited 07-05-2013).]

Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Grant and welcome to the madness.

My story is similar to yours. My 84 2M4 sat in a barn for 18-20 years. I replaced the alternator, fuel pump, brake calipers, rotors, pads and a few other odds and ends. Now I have to figure out why it eats alternator belts.

Anyway, it's nice to see new members. I'm fairly new here myself and as you probably already know, this forum is full of knowledge and very very friendly people.
disjaukifa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for disjaukifaSend a Private Message to disjaukifaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero STS:

Welcome.

Don't know what you are getting for mileage but it shouldn't take much to get reasonable mileage out of it.
I have an 85 base coupe like yours, 4 cylinder 5 speed, and it already gets in the low 40s for mileage on the highway. I have a daily driver 88 4 cylinder 5 speed and average in the mid thirties all around driving.

Have you done any special tuning to get it to the low 40s? I've only gotten around 29 mpg currently, though I haven't had a chance to take it out on the highway and just do a long highway drive yet.

-Grant

disjaukifa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for disjaukifaSend a Private Message to disjaukifaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

disjaukifa

35 posts
Member since Jun 2013

Originally posted by Dotrenrew:

Hello Grant and welcome to the madness.

My story is similar to yours. My 84 2M4 sat in a barn for 18-20 years. I replaced the alternator, fuel pump, brake calipers, rotors, pads and a few other odds and ends. Now I have to figure out why it eats alternator belts.

Anyway, it's nice to see new members. I'm fairly new here myself and as you probably already know, this forum is full of knowledge and very very friendly people.

Thanks Dotrenrew! I'm hoping to get some knowledge to help me along with my 85 Fiero, I love the car, especially the handling, the car feels like its on rails all the time, its incredible!

-Grant
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another Raleighite here. Welcome to the madness. I have 2 Fieros but not using either right now since neither has a/c and it's waaaay to hot to be in a car without a/c but hoping to get at least one of them fixed soon.
Plenty of info and help on here on these cars. If you've got a problem you can be sure someone else one here has had it and solved it before you!

Fixed up some of your pics. I guess the img tag does not like https.

PS. If it sat for 23 years, how many miles are on it because it looks great.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 07-05-2013).]

disjaukifa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for disjaukifaSend a Private Message to disjaukifaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Another Raleighite here. Welcome to the madness. I have 2 Fieros but not using either right now since neither has a/c and it's waaaay to hot to be in a car without a/c but hoping to get at least one of them fixed soon.
Plenty of info and help on here on these cars. If you've got a problem you can be sure someone else one here has had it and solved it before you!

Fixed up some of your pics. I guess the img tag does not like https.

PS. If it sat for 23 years, how many miles are on it because it looks great.

Thanks ltlfrari! I couldn't figure out the image thing, knew it had to be something simple! Yeah the car is low mileage . . . 84K When the owner before me got it it had 76K and he put almost 10K on it.

Mine doesn't have AC at the moment either but I'm working to get that fixed ASAP but because I'm saving so much money on gas driving the Fiero I can live without the AC for now, but I'm working on getting it fixed. I'll probably just go through the entire AC system, replacing the compressor, dryer, accumulator and o-rings, vacuum the system down to -25 psi and check to see if the system has leaks, if it doesn't charge it with r-134a.

-Grant
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find! Enjoy it. The 2.5 with a manual is fun. My first Fiero was a 88 with 5 speed.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're in good company up in NC. There's a whole slew of Fiero people up there. Go to http://ncfiero.com and introduce yourself, also. Welcome to Fieros and Pennocks.
robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one nice looking ride you have there. The silver bumper pad cars are some of the best looking Fiero's out there. Can I ask how much you paid for it?
Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no special tune just stock settings on everything.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock