Gumbo's ride by Gumbo
Started on: 07-03-2013 07:04 PM
Replies: 56 (2039 views)
Last post by: jimbolaya on 10-28-2014 08:32 PM
Gumbo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GumboSend a Private Message to GumboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum and have done the customary introduction thread, and now here is my thread to document the progress on my very first car. It's been a month or so since I joined the forum, and I haven't posted anything because nothing has happened, but now things are starting to progress and here is what I've done, and/or plan to do.

First of all, a photo of the day I brought her home.

Rion
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gumbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GumboSend a Private Message to GumboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first thing I got was some scion rims. 205's on the front and 225's on the rear. Thanks to AlanD on the forum for cutting out the centers another 1/16 of an inch, so they would fit on the stock rotors. I currently have the 225's on the front, and the 205's on the rear until I make some coilovers. Which BTW, jimbolaya, my Dad, picked up some coils at the junkyard today.

Rion

[This message has been edited by Gumbo (edited 07-03-2013).]

Gumbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GumboSend a Private Message to GumboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gumbo

15 posts
Member since Jun 2013
Also today, my dad picked me up some very clean cavalier seats to replace my roached stock ones.

The roached ones:

The new ones, not bad:

Rion
Gumbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GumboSend a Private Message to GumboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gumbo

15 posts
Member since Jun 2013
The engine is toast on this car but thanks to Masospaghetti here on the forum, I will have a working one very shortly. AlanD on the forum is making a run to Florida next week, and he is going by Masospaghetti's shop, in Charlotte, N. Carolina. He is picking me up a 2.8 motor that Masospaghetti is selling me. It will be back here on the 14th, and my Dad is taking the weekend of July 26, 27, and 28, to install it. Once the new/old motor is in, I am sure I will discover some new problems, but that comes with the territory. I am still very excited about my first car.

Rion.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good son. Can't wait till it's running. It will feel more real then. It's just a really big paper weight right now.

Jim
dajack761

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dajack761Send a Private Message to dajack761Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gumbo:

Also today, my dad picked me up some very clean cavalier seats to replace my roached stock ones.

The roached ones:

The new ones, not bad:

Rion

Hey Rion,

What did those seats come out of?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They came off a Chevy Cavalier. Don't know exact year, but probably late 90's or early 2000's. Just switch the Fiero seat rails on to the Cavalier seats.
Gumbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GumboSend a Private Message to GumboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got word from AlanD that he has picked up my new/old engine from Masospaghetti in Charlotte, NC. and is headed back tomorrow. If everything goes as planned, ie: weather, and no other unknown issues, I will have a running car in 2 weeks.

Jim
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

They came off a Chevy Cavalier. Don't know exact year, but probably late 90's or early 2000's. Just switch the Fiero seat rails on to the Cavalier seats.

Do they bolt right up? They look really good in there.

Looking forward to seeing my engine live a second life!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

Do they bolt right up? They look really good in there.

Looking forward to seeing my engine live a second life!

Just switch the fiero rails over, they bolt right onto the Cavalier seats. We just got done putting the engine on a stand. We will begin gasket replacement tomorrow. Thanks again.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 07-13-2013).]

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like where this thread is heading...

Also, if jimbolaya is your dad and you go by gumbo, should your avatar be a derringer?
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I like where this thread is heading...

Also, if jimbolaya is your dad and you go by gumbo, should your avatar be a derringer?

I like the way you think.

Jim

Gumbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GumboSend a Private Message to GumboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now a week after getting the engine thanks to masospaghetti for giving me the chance to purchase it and aland for picking it up (thanks man means a lot) i have finally done some work on it. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and cleaned it up a bit. Unfortunately when I was removing the oil pan I broke a nut head off. Again thanks to aland the amazing car guy came over removed the broken bolt and saved me. I'm going to continue to do work because this weekend is the weekend I swap the engines. Thought I would just post some pictures of the actual engine.

[This message has been edited by Gumbo (edited 07-21-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After a week in the mid 90's and 90% humidity, we will have a break in the weather, and are looking at mid 80's for next weekend. Thank God.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the new engine is in the car. Picture will come later after we get them uploaded, including the customary engine bay shot.. It was a beautiful 2 days, perfect for work, but Gumbo and I are exhausted.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 05-30-2014).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
As promised, a few photos.

Coming out:

Obligatory engine bay shots:

Filthy Father. The old engine was caked in about a quarter inch of oil and grime. The engine was not taken care of.

Cleaning:

Changing out flywheel for pressure plate. We had to change out the timing cover, and put on a new water pump also.

Back on the cradle:

Going back in:

Perfect fit.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 07-27-2013).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tell your dad that's not the right way to treat a collectors T-Shirt !
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Tell your dad that's not the right way to treat a collectors T-Shirt !

I plan on buying a new one in February to replace it.

Jim

masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good in there! I noticed you switched the plenum, any reason?
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 86 plenum is in there until the 88 plenum and valve covers get powder coated
Gumbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GumboSend a Private Message to GumboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So me and my dad have been rebuilding the fiero and today we decided to try and start it. It isn't the first time starting it because we had to let the computer catch up and the engine had to burn some bad gas.
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gumbo:

So me and my dad have been rebuilding the fiero and today we decided to try and start it. It isn't the first time starting it because we had to let the computer catch up and the engine had to burn some bad gas.

The engine loped for a bit. There was some smoke that disappeared after about 30 minutes. There was a ton of engine cleaner residue, and I'm sure the gas was bad, but all in all not bad. There are some gauges not working, and we are not sure if the oil sending unit is hooked up properly. The oil pressure gauge is pegged at the moment. We did not run the engine for any amount of time that would have done any damage. A very good day.

Jim

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, discovered that the oil pan is leaking at the front side of the engine. How in the hell?

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 09-11-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got his oil pressure sending unit replaced with an 88 unit. Gauge works, and oil pressure is fine. Car is coming along. Here's a list of things that we still have to do, in order to get the car inspected and titled.

* Tie rod ends. I will be ordering from Rodney.
* New rear calipers, rotors, and possibly pads. Might be able to get away with turning rotors. I haven't measured and compared to tolerances yet.
* Driver side CV axle
* Tires
* Alignment
* Temperature gauge not working (I know that is not something that is inspected, but it needs to work before he drives it daily)

Here's a list of things that need done after it's on the road

* Ball joints. I will be ordering from Rodney. (not really sure if they need replacing, but it's fairly inexpensive, and replacing them will not affect the alignment)
* Interior, in addition to a good cleaning, all the vinyl needs repair. Console, dash etc. The typical Fiero mess.
* Radio. He has it, we just need to install it.
* Front shocks, we've already replaced rears with KYB coil overs.
* 88 headlight motors.
* Sail panels. (We have fabricated some temporary ones until we find some stock ones.)
* Rubber trunk seal.
* Window switches.
* Hinge pins all around.
* 4T60 transmission for better MPG
* Battery relocation.
* Paint. This is a long term goal. Next year at the earliest.

That's all I can think of at the moment. All in all, we have made good progress. I'll strike things as I fix them.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 10-28-2014).]

masospaghetti

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you get your oil leak sorted out? Is it leaking from between the pan and block, or between the pan and timing cover?

I know these seals there can be a PITA.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jim, that's an 86, so you'll need the wiring harness from the firewall forward including the control module that mounts behind the fender to convert to Gen II headlights. If you can do it, they are really worth it. Replacing the lower front ball joints is really a safety issue. I love that Rodney's solution lets you lower the front without borking the geometry, but I had no problems taking a coil out of my 85 after rotating the upper balljoint 180 degrees. His rear suspension links are nice too. I never got around to cleaning the fire trap heater blower or checking the heater core.

Glad to see its being worked on!

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 09-18-2013).]

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

USFiero

4870 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

If jimbolaya is your dad and you go by gumbo, should your avatar be a derringer?

Squirt gun.

[This message has been edited by USFiero (edited 09-18-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by masospaghetti:

Did you get your oil leak sorted out? Is it leaking from between the pan and block, or between the pan and timing cover?

I know these seals there can be a PITA.

Looks to be around the the timing cover and pan, maybe even from around the crank. Not really sure yet.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by USFiero:

Jim, that's an 86, so you'll need the wiring harness from the firewall forward including the control module that mounts behind the fender to convert to Gen II headlights. If you can do it, they are really worth it. Replacing the lower front ball joints is really a safety issue. I love that Rodney's solution lets you lower the front without borking the geometry, but I had no problems taking a coil out of my 85 after rotating the upper balljoint 180 degrees. His rear suspension links are nice too. I never got around to cleaning the fire trap heater blower or checking the heater core.

Glad to see its being worked on!

I have the tie rod ends and the axle. I just need to install them. I switched the headlight motors over to the new 88's on my last car, so I plan on doing it again. I need to make a junkyard run at some point.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for more work completed. Looking at brakes, tires, and alignment before titling.

Jim
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brakes are done, and it has tires. We got it titled the other day. I just need to get it inspected, and the alignment, and he is up and running.

Jim
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how tall are the cavi seats in the car? I am curious if they would fit into my chop top they look comfy.
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good job! Bring it down to daytona next month.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

how tall are the cavi seats in the car? I am curious if they would fit into my chop top they look comfy.

I just measured and they approximately 36" tall, measuring from behind the seat. They are comfy.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Well another issued surfaced, but it is minor. His passenger side coolant hose developed a leak due to age, and those God awful hose clamps digging into the hose. Easy fix, and the leak is minor enough that I can still get it inspected Thursday.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the hoses ordered from NAPA, and I am taking the car to get inspected tomorrow, and then an alignment. If things go fine, she will be up and running tomorrow evening. I don't know who is more excited, me or my son.

Jim
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome thread guys!
~Zep
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After failing inspection for a brake hose that the inspector felt was dry rotted, I replaced said hose and then went back and it passed. The car is at the alignment shop now, and then tomorrow I have to replace coolant hoses. The car had what appeared to be a small coolant leak, but after having it on the road all day, the leak became bigger, and now I must get it fixed sooner rather than later. I'm dying to take her up on the interstate.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by mwzephyr:

Awesome thread guys!
~Zep

Thanks, it's been fun, but now we are both getting antsy to get it on the road.

Jim

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock