Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Gauging Interest...Center Console Skeleton? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Gauging Interest...Center Console Skeleton? by fierogtlt1
Started on: 06-24-2013 08:23 PM
Replies: 196 (9795 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 03-04-2015 09:34 AM
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Top view of the Original and the Template of the Skeleton to compare sizes.

Rear view of the Original and the Template of the Skeleton to compare sizes.

[URL=http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/fierogtlt1/media/Center%20Console%20Skeleton%20Template/template2_zps3c5069e2.jpg.html][/U RL]
Side view of the Original and the Template of the Skeleton to compare sizes.

Gauging Interest to see if this is a product that is needed in the Fiero community.
The Skeleton will be made in seperate pieces for easier installation and to work on such items as Switches,Lighter,Shifter cables.
Will be made with recessed threaded inserts for machine screws versus regular screws that can be cross threaded and the plastic eventually breaking.

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 01-02-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think that would be a great idea. One thought I had, could it be made in more then one piece and assemble together? Shipping something that big would be expensive.

I personally would not be a buyer at the moment because did A LOT of hunting the junkyards and found a gem for each of my cars. I still hold my breath every time I have to take one of the screws out of it though.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 07-30-2013).]

Twinn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TwinnSend a Private Message to TwinnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be intereted
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would definitely be interested. Good skeletons are becoming hard to find.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in one that angled the console area from the end of the shift surround up...allowing for double-din stereos to be installed.

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a couple of them if you created them.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a need for one now but they do break very easily so I could easily find myself in the market.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm ure there will be a number of people interested in this product.

I would like to see the sloped option.

Nolan
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Creating it in sections would be beneficial for people who utilize Amida's G1 dash.
PFF
System Bot
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Creating it in sections would be beneficial for people who utilize Amida's G1 dash.

Also for safer shipping purposes

jon
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Making it in sections would make it easy to ship. The stock skeleton is fragile. I found a good replacement and it was still a PITA to replace because you have to remove the entire center plastic, radio, gauge cluster, ac/heater controls.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe this is a little off topic but I was wondering if you could make a sunroof out of lexan. I love having a sunroof but I don't take it off much because I am afraid of dropping it and having something a little lighter would be nice.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

That would probably be a lot easier to make than sail panels or tail light lenses.Plus it is a lot easier to drill holes for the sunroof latch.
And you could always get the Lexan in colors and smoked.Now I have to find someone local that I can get the specs on the sunroof glass.I will PM you later to see if I can get this done for you.

Thanks!! I had checked into it awhile back myself, but I couldn't find a company that could put the right curvature in it. I think I would just get it smoked.
1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be I treated in two of them. The ones I have are barely holding anything in.

------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet) in restoration
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089093.html
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (Bella) in restoration
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ooooh a lexican sunroof, now that would save some weight for my racing car...!!!
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put me down for one! I just had my skeleton out a few weeks ago, and half of the screw holes were either stripped or cracked away, most notably one of the ones holding in the hvac controls.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

I would be interested in one that angled the console area from the end of the shift surround up...allowing for double-din stereos to be installed.

^^THIS!!
PFF
System Bot
goatvenom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested depending on price and quality,

Ryan
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tho 'new' would be far better, i have heard of people "recreating" the holes in not-too-badly-damaged frames with epoxy...
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in seeing pictures. Right now I'm looking to hook up an amp & use my ipod without the radio at all. & then I am going to make the radio bay into a glove box.
FIREBOX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIREBOXSend a Private Message to FIREBOXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

I was able to install a "double-din" stereo in my standard '84 console. Pioneer FH-X700BT. It measures 7" wide and 3 7/8" high. I had to hacksaw out the piece of plastic that runs across the bottom of the HVAC module to get it to fit the opening, and make some other adjustments including cutting out a part of the console cover. The stereo sits flush under the console cover for a great look.

------------------
WAYNES' WHEELS: White 84 SE from eBay with 17K.
A touch of blue: body trim, wheel highlights and front pegasus decal.
"Sweet little Peggy, You'll know her if you see her"

87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIREBOX:

I was able to install a "double-din" stereo in my standard '84 console. Pioneer FH-X700BT. It measures 7" wide and 3 7/8" high. I had to hacksaw out the piece of plastic that runs across the bottom of the HVAC module to get it to fit the opening, and make some other adjustments including cutting out a part of the console cover. The stereo sits flush under the console cover for a great look.

can you post some pictures?
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:

X2

Brian
PFF
System Bot
FIREBOX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIREBOXSend a Private Message to FIREBOXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:

I did take some pictures on a digital camera, and I wrote up step by step instructions which is on my computer in my "draft" folder. I don't know how combine them or to post them on a thread, but when I do figure it out, look for a post from FIREBOX - stereo replacement. In the meanime, maybe someone can PM me with posting instructions.

------------------
WAYNES' WHEELS: White 84 SE from eBay with 17K.
A touch of blue: body trim, wheel highlights and front pegasus decal.
"Sweet little Peggy, You'll know her if you see her"

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

deloreanant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deloreanantSend a Private Message to deloreanantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking for someone or someplace who has reproduced the console skeleton. This is very exciting to me. I've now owed 5 Fieros and 6 skeletons. None of them have been anywhere close to perfect. You are a wonderful person for doing this. Thank you.
Zanson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZansonClick Here to visit Zanson's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZansonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested in seeing this.
Shill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd recommend doing a flat surface with the option of having some or all factory cutouts. Makes it easier for us that want to mod or reposition things such as radio and have controls
pegasus1848

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pegasus1848Send a Private Message to pegasus1848Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this is a great idea
How about swapping the positions of the stereo and the AC / Heater controls?That's how I will be making the one for my personal car to be different than all the others.And just make a new faceplate to match.

I am in for one, and I have several fiero friends that all need.
Will pass this on.
Thanks
FIREBOX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIREBOXSend a Private Message to FIREBOXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pegasus1848:

I think this is a great idea
How about swapping the positions of the stereo and the AC / Heater controls?.........
Thanks

The Fiero HVAC panel uses a mechanical lever for temp control which would be difficult to move out of it's original position.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIREBOX:

The Fiero HVAC panel uses a mechanical lever for temp control which would be difficult to move out of it's original position.

+1

That sucker is right where it wants to be... not un-doable, but a PITA nonetheless.
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock