Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  5.4L Twin Turbo V12 Choptop Fiero (Lots of pics) (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
5.4L Twin Turbo V12 Choptop Fiero (Lots of pics) by northeastfiero
Started on: 06-09-2013 05:27 PM
Replies: 173 (20296 views)
Last post by: fourpoint9 on 04-02-2021 04:48 AM
northeastfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Done a bit of work on the cooling system while I wait for a few parts to come in.
I have made the bottom bracket detachable as it is connected to the cradle, now just have to do the same on the other side

IP: Logged
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have now got the second radiator brackets finished and painted. While waiting for other parts I have made a start on the wiring harness and the megasquirt also got the trigger wheel ready for mounting.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by northeastfiero:

Got it back down on four wheels for the first time in ages. The springs are not the right width or length just what I had lying around. I have made some new bell cranks with the right type of spherical bearings as Wills pointed out the flaws of the previous version.

Are those the same kind of tapered rollers, just pressed in the new arm?

Rollers and needles don't live long in an application where they're subjected to high loads and don't move much. The old Jaguar IRS used needles in the H-arm outer pivots and they only lasted 30-40K before getting hammered flat and allowing significant play. I'd be very suspicious of the ability of a needle roller to last long in that application.

That's why I suggested a spherical bearing.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Are those the same kind of tapered rollers, just pressed in the new arm?

Rollers and needles don't live long in an application where they're subjected to high loads and don't move much. The old Jaguar IRS used needles in the H-arm outer pivots and they only lasted 30-40K before getting hammered flat and allowing significant play. I'd be very suspicious of the ability of a needle roller to last long in that application.

That's why I suggested a spherical bearing.

No they are not the same I remade the whole assembly I machined out the opening and fitted spherical bearings as you suggested.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What am I seeing?

In the groove just outside the inner most sleeve, it looks like there are individual elements, like balls or rollers.

I can see that you reworked the assembly... I wasn't questioning that. I'm just not sure what I see in the photo.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 08-21-2013).]

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will take a photo of the parts separately in the morning to see if you think this one will work better.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

What am I seeing?

In the groove just outside the inner most sleeve, it looks like there are individual elements, like balls or rollers.

I can see that you reworked the assembly... I wasn't questioning that. I'm just not sure what I see in the photo.

I machined out the hole for the spherical bearing to be pressed into. It is mirrored on the other side then welded together with the appropriate spacing.

Measured and drilled fixing holes for trigger wheel

Started to put the engine back together accessories and new belts fitted also got the trigger wheel and sensor fitted

Got the fuel rails and injector wiring routed also got a bit more of the megasquirt wiring done, when finished there will be a removable cover over all of the electrics. Waiting on some more bits and pieces before I can move forward.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the rest of the wiring done for the megasquirt just need to connect up to the various sensors when engine is in place. Made a start on the cooling pipes to the radiators as well.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good! It looks like you bought the same Honda Civic radiators that I bought for my project car as well (Yonaka, I believe). They're supposedly rated for "200 HP" each, though I always wondered how they calculate that. What fans are you using and can you post how thick they are from the mounting surface to the back of the fan motor? Have decided on a body style yet that will feed those radiators?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I machined out the hole for the spherical bearing to be pressed into. It is mirrored on the other side then welded together with the appropriate spacing.

I was wondering what parts you used for the spherical bearing... It just looks weird in that previous photo we were discussing.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that it's a rolling chassis, let's see some pictures of it outside... I'd like to see the full side view to get a better appreciation of the wheelbase and the overall proportions.
PFF
System Bot
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Now that it's a rolling chassis, let's see some pictures of it outside... I'd like to see the full side view to get a better appreciation of the wheelbase and the overall proportions.

Will do that later this month as we are moving to a house that better suits our daughter with cerebral palsy also has a little larger garage. I have been keeping an eye on your thread I know mine does what you designed it to do, but so does yours while looking nice at the same time. I am tempted to neaten up my bracketry. Tonight I made a start on the new 6 speed shift assembly while I am waiting on a few parts.

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for update!
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah... what's up? Did you fall off the end of the Earth? It's been waaay too long for us waiting for an update. Get with it!
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It amazing how quick time passes just starting to get back to working on the car. Cleared out all of the existing wiring as I will renew it all and gave it a coat of hammerite, finished off a few bits on the suspension setup. Waiting on few parts so I can get the last of the cooling system connected up. also have a new heater ac unit to replace the origional coming as with some components to get the fuel system up and running.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the new shift mechanism fabricated still got to tweak it when I get the shift gate fabricated.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must say that this is one of the most aggressive projects that we've seen here. Good luck finishing the project. It is certainly a labor of love and an inspiration that proves "where there is a will, there is a way"

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity-bump?
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bit more progress today, got the fuel lines and fuel filter fitted.

Fitted a new steel bulkhead where the old heater use to be for the new unit.

This is definately a labour of love and what happens when you don`t have a clear plan of your goals set out.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today as I am waiting on getting some more parts for the engine I thought I would get on with something different.

One tired old hood

A quick template mark

A couple of layers of fibreglass after prepping the hood

Still got to do the finishing off but you get the idea of what they will look like

What do you think?.
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What do you think?.

Looks great, I like it!

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com Pictures Modifications

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the other side done just need to fill and finish off the light mounts on the reverse side

Next job fix the windscreen surround as I broke it in four places taking it off the black gunk is a nightmare

I am after a few suggestions as to the hood scoop for tomorrows job. As the radiators are at the sides there is only the air con rad up front now so I only need a small opening.

Thanks Carl
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

northeastfiero

511 posts
Member since Mar 2005
A bump for the evening crew.

I am after a few suggestions as to the hood scoop for tomorrows job. As the radiators are at the sides there is only the air con rad up front now so I only need a small opening.

Thanks Carl
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would go with a normal / full size extractor hood. With the stretched chassis / wheelbase and power you are making you will be able to safely hit higher triple digit speeds at some point so why not create optimal down force / air flow now? That's just me though. I was stationed in Germany for seven years and got used to driving ludicrous speed and I know if I had your car finished (especially if I did all the work on it like you are) I would have to find somewhere to drive it insanely fast... It is an impressive build and can't wait to see it finished. Great job with all of the pics.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the end I decided on a Warber type scoop as it does what it needs and nothing to buy. As I have no radiator up front I moved it a bit further forward but the other dimensions are as Archie put down in an old thread.

I added a centre piece for strength and doesn`t look too bad.

When I got the fixings for the lights set and test fitted the lights I was not happy as the curvature of the lights only allowed 3 sides to fit flush. So out with the angle grinder again set the lights a little higher which has neccessitated some 2 part foam to be moulded to shape.

More to come.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shaped the foam then covered it with 2 layers of fibreglass

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started to sand and fill hours more to go

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More progress

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For today I started work on the rear first I extended the rear clip to give me something to work to.

Next created a frame that is bolted down at the rear and will be eventuall fully glassed into the existing clip

Altered some spare front hood clips to work with the TT rear hatch

Got the rear hatch fitted and centered took a bit of work

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks great under that big piece of glass! Shows off that big beautiful engine.Great job.
PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fantastic job cant wait to see the glass work in the rear lookin forward to see more
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tonights installment

Started glaasing in the metal framework

A layer of 2 part foam

A shot of the electric spoiler up

Started making the wheel arch

More foam work

A rear shot

VF1Skullangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man I can't wait till we see the finished product!
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One for the community, while I have a rough idea of where I am going with the body work(basicly making it up as I go on). I am hopeless at artwork so no drawings of the final product but I am open to any suggestions of any body mods I can incorprate into the design.

Thanks Carl
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is great.
here that car would need around $10K of engineering certificates before it can be driven on the public roads
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Construction Zone !!!
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, impressive!
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the kind words it has been a long hard slog to get it this far. I need to get some more supplies tomorrow so there should be some more progress this week. Still waiting for some of the more talented artists to come up with drawing of what it might look like.

Starting to get the shape for the rear hatch closer

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Construction Zone !!!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay