poly bushings? or no? by guitarfreak235
Started on: 06-02-2013 01:15 AM
Replies: 14 (1065 views)
Last post by: Pyrthian on 07-03-2013 02:01 PM
guitarfreak235

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for guitarfreak235Send a Private Message to guitarfreak235Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all, so i just got a new (to me) 88 fiero. The bushings on the end links are completely shot. I think im actually missing one or two bushings. The washers on the end links make a ton of noise and are bothering me. I want to get new swaybar end links but should i get polyurethane end links? Should i go ahead and convert all bushings to poly? any of you have experience and notice benefits?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went all standard rubber from Rock Auto, but think I'm in the minority. Removing the corroded stock bushings is difficult . From what I've read here perhaps the use of the poly is motivated (partially) by the ability to stuff the poly inside the outer metal bush left from the stock bushing? Apparently the guys burn or tear out the rubber/inner metal stock stuff because of difficulty removing the whole stock bushing. The difficulty factor may vary by car history/geography. I did find .010-.015" wear in the frame bolt housings (bushings) which I shimmed. Your car will be transformed with redo. I was experiencing snap oversteer (a la Porsche) in the wet before repair. (85 GT)

[This message has been edited by hobbywrench (edited 06-02-2013).]

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just installed poly on the front of my 87. I have to say it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.One of the main reasons that I decided to go poly is that I could install them myself. My car does not get a lot of miles each year so I also thought poly is going to have a better shelf life then rubber would.I had put all new rubber bushings in my 85 a few years back (not that many miles ago) and it became a parts car due to rusted frame, but when I tore it all apart the rubber was already starting to dry rot.

As for the poly, I was expecting it to ride like a train car, but I was pleasantly surprised. It rides WAY better then with the worn out rubber did, and so far I have not heard a squeak, and really not any worse then the my 85 did with the new rubber.

------------------

guitarfreak235

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for guitarfreak235Send a Private Message to guitarfreak235Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it worth it as far as having a tighter ride and performance? i hope if i get them they dont squeak either....
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does seem tighter and seems to corner like it's on rails. Granted when I did the new rubber on my 85 there was a world of difference vs the worn out bushing, but I think the poly does seem to tighten things up a little more.

I haven't gotten a chance to really put it to the test on handling because I still have to do the rear bushings and found out that my front inner tie rods are bad so until I replace those I can't push it too much. But it it's seriously like driving a street legal go-kart.
DaytonTD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaytonTDSend a Private Message to DaytonTDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a test or way to see if my bushings are worn out? I have the cradle dropped and apart but they seem to look fine. The A arm is stiff moving it up and down, I'm not sure what I am exactly looking or feeling for when testing them.
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guitarfreak have you seen Rodney Dickmans zero lash sway bar end links yet?

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...ds=zero+lash&x=0&y=0

A few bucks more but worth every penny in my opinion. They make my front and handle like its on rails! At least that's how it feels to me. I'm no Danica Patrick though

Just another option.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by guitarfreak235:

Hey all, so i just got a new (to me) 88 fiero. The bushings on the end links are completely shot. I think im actually missing one or two bushings. The washers on the end links make a ton of noise and are bothering me. I want to get new swaybar end links but should i get polyurethane end links? Should i go ahead and convert all bushings to poly? any of you have experience and notice benefits?

You didn't mention what you plan to use the car for, or how you plan to drive it, which is important. If it's your daily driver and you don't plan on pushing it hard stay with the rubber. If you want performance improvement, and plan to drive it very aggressively, switch "all" suspension over to a good poly.

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you'll find that just the act of replacing the bushings helps tremendously, even if you go with poly or not.

Even with lower mileage vehicles, remember that rubber components deteriorate with time. A 1988 Fiero now has a production date of well over 25 years ago. That's pretty old. If you don't want to deal with the intricacies of polyurethane, just replacing the bushings with standard rubber components will get the car to handle quite well to where it did new (probably in some cases better than new). Many individuals whom drive Fieros within the past decade or so obviously are not in the same boat as individuals who bought a Fiero new in 1984 or even 1988.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe all '88s had urethane end link bushings from the factory, so I would replace them with poly if they're worn out.

Oh yeah.....I have also used Rodney's zero lash end links and if they're within your budget I would recommend these over the standard poly replacements.
BlownFiero86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love my poly bushings

------------------
86GT, 3800SC, F23, true duals, 3.4 pulley, comp VS cam, zzp power log, WCF air intake, ARP bolts, comp lifters and push rods, 90# springs, SI stainless valves, aero-force scantech meter.
Here is my build thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122548.html

PFF
System Bot
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
go for poly - night and day difference on the handling just remember to use plenty of teflon grease - i got my full kit from the fiero store and the grease which is supplied I found wasnt enough - so I bought a couple of tubes of teflon grease and I dont have any squeeks.

jon
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a daily driver I would recommend staying with stock rubber bushings. For a hobby/show/race car that sees limited street use, I would say poly is the way to go.
Most people rave about the improved handling of the poly bushings. Some say that they are noisy and make the ride more harsh. I have not noticed much additional hardness to the rise. Poly bushings do improve handling but any new bushing that replaces an old worn bushing will improve handling.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Some say that they are noisy and make the ride more harsh. I have not noticed much additional hardness to the rise. Poly bushings do improve handling but any new bushing that replaces an old worn bushing will improve handling.

I agree - however they are only noisy i/e squeeky when not enough teflon grease is used.

jon
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you are talking about JUST the front sway bar end links - go rubber.
especially on a 84-87
the Fiero has to much front bar as-is, and tightening it up more with poly will just make it the front push more.
yes, it may "feel" better & flatter - but it will actually handle worse.
dont tighten the front until you do more to tighten the rear.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock