Started on: 05-18-2013 09:39 PM
Replies: 98 (3930 views)
Last post by: fierogt28 on 03-08-2016 02:03 AM
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The market for cars is based on what you want and when you want it. If we keep complaining about market price being high, no wonder most of you guys get frustrated when you try to sell your Fiero and half of the forum says that car is worth half of the asking price. It's almost depressing. Let people sell their cars for what they want. If they don't get it, then they can adjust. But constantly ragging on someone selling a car for what they don't consider a good deal, try not to jump on them. We all want a free Fiero in our heads, but what the majority are missing is our cars are becoming rare and hard to come by. If I totaled my Fiero, it would be a headache trying to gather parts to do it again.

When I was selling my 87GT, I didn't even post it up here, because I wanted top dollar for it, and that's my choice. I had a 130,000 mile 87GT 5spd that I ended up selling for $7,500 and I was asking $8,500. This was October 2012. If I was going to sell my Formula, I wouldn't think twice about asking $25-30k. Am I crazy? Probably, do I care, no. Anyone care to rebuild and put together the car like I did? It took me almost 13 years to get it to this point. Of course I don't expect people to want to pay it, but someone out there might be interested in the car at the right time and has the cash to buy it and have what they always wanted. Case closed.

------------------

Best 1/4: 11.7 @ 115mph
Best 60ft: 1.60

IP: Logged
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly as the others mentioned, no one exactly wants a pristine low milage Fiero especially if their asking over 10k... People don't see them as used cars, you have to want one to buy one basically. Maybe in the future prices will go up, but I think most people are like me, they buy em cheap to modify. I know some of you guys love your "Stock" cars. I've never been into that kinda thing, obviously I wouldn't be hacking up a '57 Chevy 2 Door but a Fiero is just a Fiero. They're unique, and a decent performance platform with some help. Thats all, I came to terms I'd never sell my car, because I wouldn't get jack for it. Its free'd me up to just modify it any way I want, I love the freedom!

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put $9,500 price tag on my 56k mile 87' GT 5spd. It was in perfect shape paint wise, no chips or scratches. It sat in my front yard for 3 weeks (I'd pull it out of the garage each morning on dry days) it finally sold to a young man just out of high school, he offered $7000 and I settled at $8500 after his Dad showed up.

Do i feel it was worth that? I do now! Haha

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

I put $9,500 price tag on my 56k mile 87' GT 5spd. It was in perfect shape paint wise, no chips or scratches. It sat in my front yard for 3 weeks (I'd pull it out of the garage each morning on dry days) it finally sold to a young man just out of high school, he offered $7000 and I settled at $8500 after his Dad showed up.

Do i feel it was worth that? I do now! Haha

Exactly, if it sells it was worth it, to someone.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

The claim, isn't short sighted, not at all..
and here is why.. a low mile care, never is used, seals dry up and get hard, if they start them, they don't run them long enough to burn off all the crap. Valve springs sit compressed, making them very weak, and can shorten their height.. lack of a good long drives to stretching it's legs, causes the combustion by products to gum up the rings, and rings that don't spin eat engines.. same with the lifters if flat tap, and valves.. longer they sit between use= even drier starts as most don't install a pre oiler..
valves that don't spin tend to stick and then get bent
springs that sat compressed can cause a dropped valve,
rings not spinning is death,
lifter not spinning(flat tap)=flay lobe
hyd lifter being bleed down and sitting on the pluger kills the internal parts and then fun fun

now move to the trans, the internal seals love it when it sat long enough that the shafts start turning dry,
or if stick shift a clutch disc that is stuck to the flywheel,
rear end, axle bearings and diff. carrier bearings, dry friction come on baby make it hurt so good..

shocks sitting in one spot letting the oil move away from the shaft seal..
brakes rotors rusting(surface rust) everywhere but where the pads are.. the pads removing that rust and it getting imbedded in the pads, good times..
that's if the lack of use hasn't caused the piston in the clapper to stick and drag..
flat spoted tires from sitting, cause all these cars are up on stands, right!!!
belts taking a "set"
all rubber parts age if used or not..
most original owners of vehicles are not doing anything but maybe an oil change every year, that's the service it get..

so you buy a low mile car and you have to go through it, and replaces a bunch of parts all at once.. I've bought 2 low mile cars, and my dads had4..
my 86 SS had 8700miles on it when I bought it in 2002 , it was a rust free, clean car but it need all belts, all hoses, all vacuum lines, new valve springs because they had lost40lb and some were shorter than spec, sure you could use them if you drove it like a grandma, but I planned on driving it harder than that.. 4 lifters bleed down to fast.. again might be fine for use that never saw north of 4000rpm..
carb gaskets and float and fuel filter, new fuel rubber line , plugs,wires,cap,rotor,filters, rubber brake hoses, shocks, 4 tires, battery, new fluids front to back,
that's before I even got to start to enjoy it.. then the exhaust as it rotted from the inside out, torque converter because the lock up clutch was chattering from the friction material sitting dry for lengths of time, as the fluid drains back into the trans as it sits.. rear seal and pump seal..
My 66 tempest was no different, needing tons all at once,

where a 90k car nothing say very long to take a "set" the battery would have been replaced, the exhaust, the shocks, the belts,hoses, wires,rotor,cap,plugs,

sure it is nice to get a clean interior.. but many have no idea of the cost after you pay the higher price for that low mile car, as you get hit with it all at once.. cause the original owner had no reason to have to service anything, they never use them..
The newer cars, even the fieros with efi.. sensors don't age well.
I knew I was going to buy and own the SS forever so getting a rust free one with a clean interior was the trade off ,to knowing I'll be sinking tons of money in parts right off the bat.. ya, I could've just drove it, and waited till a belt took out a hose, or a hose let go at 10pm on a sunday in the middle of nowhere, same with the brake hoses, fluids,
Many don't have to do all most none of that, why because they are not going to drive it either.. it'll sit as garage art, to take to a show and have people go wow, only 9000 miles..
who cares it's never enjoyed..
My 85 cutlass had92k when I bought it, and it came with a log book of the service it has had since day one, just as clean as the SS, but it didn't need me to service it right off the bat, as parts were replaced as needed over the years ,it was throw plates on it, and drive it,unlike a low mile car that nothing been changed..
cars with miles on them ,that the owner took care of the vehicle is a better bet as they enjoyed it, and tend to be anal about service/care..
besides, most low mile cars that are 20 years old or more, tend to not get used all that much by the next owner as they are to afraid to put miles on it.. kinda like the guy that builds his car over years, then gets that awesome paint job, and now doesn't take it out much as he/she is to afraid it get a chip or hit, when they used to drive the wheels of it..
I don't know about you but I by my vehicles to drive them not look at them in the garage, they make 1:24ths if you like looking at them.
it be nice if parts on cars didn't age but they do if you use them or not..

it is a toss up..

In some rare cases yes there are issues but in most the issues are small and the rest of the cars condition is worth it.

I put a Corvair back on the road that had sat for 40 years with 8,000 miles. It was even stored in some of the worst conditions and ways. It took a fast and easy rebuild of both carbs a new battery.

We had to soak the engine as it was even frozen up. But a little Marvel Mystery oil and a couple days it turned right over and fired right up. We drove it for a little while and then sold it for $6,000 after only paying $900 for it. I still needed an exhaust and paint but it was complete and the interior was perfect.

No spring issues leaks or any other of the problems you fear. I have also put other cars on back on the road such as a 1981 4 speed Camaro parked 25 years with 10,000 miles. We charged the battery and it fired up and ran fine. No leaks no issues and no problems. Drove it on and off for a year and sold it to a very happy collector.

Sure there can be some issues but over all I would easily trade them for any car with 80K-100K miles.

Much of this comes down to the care the car had in storage and how it was stored.

I bought a well cared for 63 Ford with 75K miles years again 1980 and had water pump issues, master cylinder issues, exhaust issues and brakes. Oh the exhaust manifold also cracked. The miles in this case did nothing to help it. I was lucky as it has many mechanical needs but the body and interior had been cared for. The miles on the other hand did not help the car anymore or any less.

I will let you have all the high mileage cars you like since you are sold on them. But because of my experience multiple times I will stick to what has worked for me well and saved me a lot of money and generally has made me money in the end. It is not a toss up as I know the odds and the odds favor the well stored low mile car the majority of the time. Trust me I don't gamble not with money or cars.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 03-19-2015).]

alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to help with this debate of buying a low mile car or a car with 70k miles, I'm going to track a real life example. I just bought an 88 GT with 2500 miles. I also have an 88 GT that I have owned since 88 with 69k miles currently. I plan to drive them both the same, as weekend cars where they get 1-2k a year in miles. I have not had to do any major repairs to the 69k mile car other than a new water pump last year. I replaced almost all of the hoses and belts back in 2002, and I'm on my third set of tires. By the way, I paid $15k for the new one, which has t-tops, and I am very happy with that price, I had been looking a long time for a car with these exact options and it is less than I paid in 88 for the first one. Picking up the new one this weekend and maybe I'll start a thread to track the costs to get it running well!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by alcazar88:

Just to help with this debate of buying a low mile car or a car with 70k miles, I'm going to track a real life example. I just bought an 88 GT with 2500 miles. I also have an 88 GT that I have owned since 88 with 69k miles currently. I plan to drive them both the same, as weekend cars where they get 1-2k a year in miles. I have not had to do any major repairs to the 69k mile car other than a new water pump last year. I replaced almost all of the hoses and belts back in 2002, and I'm on my third set of tires. By the way, I paid $15k for the new one, which has t-tops, and I am very happy with that price, I had been looking a long time for a car with these exact options and it is less than I paid in 88 for the first one. Picking up the new one this weekend and maybe I'll start a thread to track the costs to get it running well!

Experiences can vary on both depending on how they were maintained in use as in storage. It is difficult to compare. But if both were maintained properly the low mileage generally ends up with a advantage.

This argument is more determined but how the car was cared for in the long run regardless of miles then it drops down to the miles as virgin paint and interiors are hard to find and expensive to replace anymore. Finding NOS parts for the interior can cost you as much as some people pay for a car. Add in a paint job and the cost continues to rise. In the end even with some minor mechanical repairs it normally leverages out the better buy is to get the better car in the first place or one someone has already restored properly. Fiero or what ever car it may be.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
-Corvair back on the road that had sat for 40 years
-1981 4 speed Camaro parked 25 years .

a well cared for 63 Ford with 75K miles years again 1980 and had water pump issues, master cylinder issues, exhaust issues and brakes. Oh the exhaust manifold also cracked.

GM
GM
FORD

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting I notice on ebay folks r asking big prices but not getting them. Was watching a yellow formula 2k miles perfect showroom condition. No bites at a starting 8k. I paid 7200 4 my 4k miles formula 10 years ago prices don't seem 2 have changed much
DavePatron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavePatronClick Here to visit DavePatron's HomePageSend a Private Message to DavePatronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my fiero is worth 30K

------------------
88 Fiero/LP640

Affordable Web Design

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DavePatron:

my fiero is worth 30K

I'll give you $1000 for it.
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This post is concerning STOCK Fieros and NOT modded ones.
Here is the problem I see out there, you get some douchbag on claigslist asking some stupid high price, everyone else says "well his is listed at this price so mine must be worth that much too." then they start listing it at that too. But don't realize that is is a listed price and not a selling price. People who sell their cars at those high prices are just ***holes trying to rip someone off. I don't mean those who start higher than asking so they can get talked down, but stupid high asking price.
Or they say well I saw a low mile sell for $20k, but those are almost always under 100 miles and have things like factory power steering, and think their "low mile"(in the tens of thousands) Fiero should be worth that too.
It comes down to greed and hoping they find the one stupid person.
.Remember this post is concerning STOCK Fieros and NOT modded ones
. There is a big difference to say my car is worth this xxxxx amount, and trying to sell your car for that xxxxx amount.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 03-23-2015).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

This post is concerning STOCK Fieros and NOT modded ones.
Here is the problem I see out there, you get some douchbag on claigslist asking some stupid high price, everyone else says "well his is listed at this price so mine must be worth that much too." then they start listing it at that too. But don't realize that is is a listed price and not a selling price. People who sell their cars at those high prices are just ***holes trying to rip someone off. I don't mean those who start higher than asking so they can get talked down, but stupid high asking price.
Or they say well I saw a low mile sell for $20k, but those are almost always under 100 miles and have things like factory power steering, and think their "low mile"(in the tens of thousands) Fiero should be worth that too.
It comes down to greed and hoping they find the one stupid person.
.Remember this post is concerning STOCK Fieros and NOT modded ones
. There is a big difference to say my car is worth this xxxxx amount, and trying to sell your car for that xxxxx amount.

Yes...thanks for putting this thread back on track.

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt28

2937 posts
Member since Feb 2005
The bottom line regarding this thread was about outrageous prices for stock fiero prices.

Again, many prices are good but for mint / rust-free / well cared for cars. Not every owner has that type of fiero.
They have a project car, money they have to put on for a daily driver once purchased, and simply not worth the
price their asking. Some have bought fieros a reasonable prices, and some have been royally screwed.

The big issue for these cars are frame-wise. Winter driven cars should be avoided for someone that wants a
pristine fiero. They were never intended to be winter commuters.

Like other people here mentioned, and I'll say it again...just because you put 15,000$ in a fiero doesn't mean it worth that.
My perception of these cars are now "toys" for the week-end, or hobby cars.

If anyone is buying a new car today and keeping it for 25-30 years to sell for an investment, your in the wrong place.
How long has that guy from Washington at a GM dealer trying to sell that red 88 GT for more that sticker price??

It would probably sell for 10-12,000$ but I guess that is really not his plan. He should drive it for 2 years, and he still could get the
same price at 15,000 miles.
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep this thread alive.

BTW, I seen that white 88GT with only 41 miles...like the title says; that's overpriced.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel like I got a bargain on mine.

[This message has been edited by fierocarparts (edited 08-03-2015).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2015 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Wasn't that the 79 mi Indy that was in the Mall here for a few years with no title, or something like that?
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2015 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Good point !
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2016 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock