Fieros overpriced? by fierogt28
Started on: 05-18-2013 09:39 PM
Replies: 98 (3930 views)
Last post by: fierogt28 on 03-08-2016 02:03 AM
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do the majority of fiero onwers here think that they are overpriced??

Personally, I do. I don't mind paying for a really fine example, clean, original car. But some
think their fiero is worth so much, just because they invested 25,000$ in it. Even to that point,
I really think people are missing the boat.

A low milage fiero, rust free, perfect factory paint, very clean interior, engine bay, rims, exhaust,
full available working options, perfect GT windows, tail light lenses, etc, is all based on asking price.

I've seen fieros for sale for 10,000$, and far from being a show car.

Your welcome to elaborate...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not had time to test the options but , I don't think $5 with tax was bad

Sorry could'nt resist ( it happens when you get old )
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A car is worth what the buying party is willing to pay for it. Since our Fiero's are so old and getting harder to come by in really good condition, price can be a tricky thing. I know if I asked what mine was worth, the bids we be all over the map.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 05-18-2013).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the biggest problem is people who think because they spent X on their car, they should be able to sell it for X. Otherwise, no, they are on average not overpriced,, it's just that the prices so often quoted on here are usually unrealistic. The day of the decent $1000 Fiero seem to be a thing of the past. More and more I'm seeing rusted out piles of crap, where they used to be simply neglected.
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think people like the look of them and have realized that the number of clean Fieros are getting smaller. Unlike the Million+ corvairs produced, the Fiero had (and still have) excellent body lines.
With the addition of powerful engine swaps, it has sparked new interest. Plus, the generation that wanted them in HS, now has the disposable income to buy one and fix them up.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are less and less Fieros every day. But just because something is rare does not make it valuable. The number of people willing to pay big bucks for a Fiero is dwindling as well. The Fiero will probably slip quietly into history about like the Corvair.
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Plus, the generation that wanted them in HS, now has the disposable income to buy one and fix them up.

Partly correct in my case but I had one in HS and now I don't have enough disposable income to fix mine up again. D'oh
bulldog85043

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

There are less and less Fieros every day. But just because something is rare does not make it valuable. The number of people willing to pay big bucks for a Fiero is dwindling as well. The Fiero will probably slip quietly into history about like the Corvair.

Same could be said for the Yugo. Just because it's rare doesn't make it valueable. I just hope history has a better memory for the Fiero than the Corvair. Drove one when I was younger. Glad it wasn't mine. Wouldn't want it. But I'm angling on getting another Fiero
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I think the biggest problem is people who think because they spent X on their car, they should be able to sell it for X. Otherwise, no, they are on average not overpriced,, it's just that the prices so often quoted on here are usually unrealistic. The day of the decent $1000 Fiero seem to be a thing of the past. More and more I'm seeing rusted out piles of crap, where they used to be simply neglected.

Yeah, exactly...many are now rust buckets. Some have been stored for 15 years or more.
The 88GT and Formulas are probably the best fiero out there because they started life later.
Plus the new design and many improvements, it make them more valueable. Those 88s
made the fiero handle like a real sports car. I personally think the 88s are easier to work on.
The suspenion front and back is more easier to service.
From my standpoint the price for fieros are reasonable, but the car has to be in mint condition
for the price thay are asking. Everything else is simply overpriced.
Who is going to pay 5000$ for a fiero when it needs 10,000$ to make it a clean, safe, drivable,
good looking car?? I won't.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny, I was looking at Fieros for sale just the other day across ebay, cars.com, Craigslist etc. Prices for decent cars seem to be $3K-$4K and low mile garage kept ones many K over that. The prices seem to be ticking up. I do not believe these cars are going to slip into obscurity anytime soon. Take this forum for instance, pretty damn active compared to others I visit. Posters leave as they go in different directions but new ones are still joining in. My cars gather a very favorable reaction when I take them out these days, especially the silver one. Use to be different story 15-20 years ago- you know fires & tupperware jokes.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

[This message has been edited by MarkS (edited 05-19-2013).]

kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

The Fiero will probably slip quietly into history about like the Corvair.

I prefer they slip quietly into my garage

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow with all the years people complained they were under priced now this? LOL!

The fact is the Fiero is getting harder to find in unused low mile condition. Don't get me wrong but people who bought them as an investment and put them away have already dumped most of them.

Add to this that many people are finding that the $1000 Fiero is no barging unless you can do all the work yourself. How often someone will buy one and after they do all the needed work end with $15,000 in a car with high miles.

With the supply of low mileage cars going down and the demand for a clean Fiero still up where it was $10,000 is a fair price for a used low mileage car. In fact often it is the better deal if you can afford it up front.

As with many cars a clean Fiero can often be parted out for more than it is worth. I have a Co worker who has parted 2 out now and made a profit on both. The parts in some cases are worth more than the sum in collector cars with some hard to find parts.

The Fiero prices have already bottomed out and will start to climb as we have seen with the very clean cars. None of us will still get rich but we will also no longer get the rock bottom prices. All I can say is welcome to the collector car world.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of thousand around here gets you a nice good running 85-87 Fiero GT. Rust bucket Fiero parts cars can be picked up for $300.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2013 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cheap <$500 parts cars, $2k-3k V6 cars, and $1k-2k high mileage Indys.
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dburger:

Cheap <$500 parts cars, $2k-3k V6 cars, and $1k-2k high mileage Indys.

Seriously dude QUIT tempting me to move south! Seems a lot of people are donig that lately lol.
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2013 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaredmurray88:

Seriously dude QUIT tempting me to move south! Seems a lot of people are donig that lately lol.

75% of those V6 cars are autos , but there are a couple fastbacks with luggage racks.

[This message has been edited by Dburger (edited 05-19-2013).]

retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

How often someone will buy one and after they do all the needed work end with $15,000 in a car with high miles.

I'm guilty as charged... I would sell it and buy another one, but mine has all the factory options I want, plus it has the same birthyear as me (check that off my bucket list). That said, I'm finishing up a 3400 upgrade soon, so it should be more reliable with the new engine and rebuilt trans.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to say, most of what I've seen has been priced $3,000 or less, and most of the time it seems to be in line with the car's condition. I paid $1,000 for mine and honestly I think I got a steal, as it seems to be taken care of mechanical-wise... it needs some lovin' in the looks department though. I think being solid mechanically, and being acceptable far as looks, one could go for $2,500-$3,500, that price being affected by mileage and overall mechanicals.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When it comes to Fieros (or any car for that matter), I always say to go for the newest, lowest mileage, original car you can find. That way you wont be going behind someone and fixing their "fixes". Trust me, I have owned 20+ Fieros and my favorite ones were all the low mile cars. My 88 still has the toothed washers on the wheel studs. I cant even remember the last time I worked on a Fiero that still had those! You'll save a lot of money in the long run getting a mint, low mileage car.

As for price. That's a very subjective area. Personally, I paid 12k for my '88 14 months ago. It was a show room condition, all original car. *Note, I probably should of left it that way*. And I will it was worth every penny. I'd say 12-15k is where the really low mile ORIGINAL cars should be right now. Again, I feel this is a very subjective area, so you may, or may not agree.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 05-20-2013).]

KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They should go up. they are a one of a kind car from GM. I think it is crazy they are not worth more and will be happy to see them rise I have an 84,85,86 and an 88. I just need an 87 then I can sit back and wait.
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

When it comes to Fieros (or any car for that matter), I always say to go for the newest, lowest mileage, original car you can find. That way you wont be going behind someone and fixing their "fixes". Trust me, I have owned 20+ Fieros and my favorite ones were all the low mile cars. My 88 still has the toothed washers on the wheel studs. I cant even remember the last time I worked on a Fiero that still had those! You'll save a lot of money in the long run getting a mint, low mileage car.

As for price. That's a very subjective area. Personally, I paid 12k for my '88 14 months ago. It was a show room condition, all original car. *Note, I probably should of left it that way*. And I will it was worth every penny. I'd say 12-15k is where the really low mile ORIGINAL cars should be right now. Again, I feel this is a very subjective area, so you may, or may not agree.

Those are my favorite too ! (low milage cars, original)

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.

PFF
System Bot
fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you explain people paying $12K for a 25+ year old car? If they were common, people wouldn't put more into them than they could ever get out. The demand IS slowing, but so is the supply.
Haven't made the show car circuit lately, but never seen a Yugo, Festiva or any other ugly car.
I bought a 1955 Chevy BelAir as my first car and it was almost 25 years old. A 15 year olds first car generally doesn't cost much. Fieros still look better than a 55 Chevy. Bought a 16 year old Corvette at the age of 19. VERY desirable Mid-year. This wasn't a trust fund purchase, this was simply the market. Could I buy any of them back? Oh hell no!
The only Fiero that will probably never be valuable (but should be) is the Indy.
I feel bad for the people that bought new expecting the increase to exceed Present value of money at the time.
Low mileage Ferraris don't bring much more than a Fiero of the same era.
View item:
Ferrari : 308 GTSi 328 400 348 512 246 360 275 330 365 458 412 250 166 212

[This message has been edited by fierocarparts (edited 05-21-2013).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I agree.
Alot of the good condition ones are already snagged, now the for sale cars are coming out of the weeds stored outside 10 -15 years. You see the nice ones come for sale only if emergency cash is needed for example. Though there are still realy nice ones for 3k too.

I think their value hasnt peaked yet. The values of many types of cars as said, is whatever someone will pay. If you look at the past, look at muscle cars, or even farther back, Model T's. The model T market seems to be falling apart, because demand is down, because the people really interested (the people with fond memories of them) arent around anymore. The person who will pay the most is likley someone who has memories about the car. Someone who drove one in highschool probably, or is that age. Also someone who has money to buy it with. Usually an older guy whose kids are out of the house, maybe thay have some retirement coming. You also have the performance/ modified market, that is a whol other ball of wax. Add to that, older guys can have a hard time getting in and out of Fieros. They may also want an automatic. Its complicated.
There are still good deals out there. I still say though, build it how you want, dont think the car will be an investment

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-21-2013).]

fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's hoping you can give me insight into a trend I've noticed. People buying very clean, great running bone stock cars and gutting them to refurbish them. I understand you don't want a damaged car, but why seek out a near perfect car just to replace everything on it? A LOT of recent build threads that have started lately sought out perfectly good cars to do engine swap, body mods and interior upgrades. Not saying this is wrong, just looking for insight as to the thought process behind it.

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's hoping you can give me insight into a trend I've noticed. People buying very clean, great running bone stock cars and gutting them to refurbish them. I understand you don't want a damaged car, but why seek out a near perfect car just to replace everything on it? A LOT of recent build threads that have started lately sought out perfectly good cars to do engine swap, body mods and interior upgrades. Not saying this is wrong, just looking for insight as to the thought process behind it.

Unfortunately I am not sure the value of these cars will rise very much. Not sure they will ever be a true collector car that sky rockets in value (although I hope I am wrong). That being said these are great cars at reasonable prices with a list of fun mods. I have bought cars before that needed everything to be replaced. So now unless I buy some really rare car for a "cheap" price that needs a ton of work, I always look for the best car I can get for my money so the transformation is much easier. I believe you start with the best car you can.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will think they are overpriced when they are worth more than a comparable Corvette. It's getting close! A low mileage good condition 88 Corvette is about $10K these days, and a harder to find and much more interesting 88GT Fiero is about $8K.....these are listings from dealers who have them all shined up on the floor of their showrooms in Autotrader. I would not buy a Corvette at half the price....but so would just about anyone on PFF I suspect.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-21-2013).]

fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After reading your post, I looked at Vette prices. Very good point! I may get a convertible Vette as I don't have to worry about how the frame is reinforced or how the top will fit like a convertible Fiero.
But I hope this is an indication of how others feel about our cars:
On CL
http://easttexas.craigslist.../cto/3830660998.html

Originally posted by Gall757:

I will think they are overpriced when they are worth more than a comparable Corvette. It's getting close! A low mileage good condition 88 Corvette is about $10K these days, and a harder to find and much more interesting 88GT Fiero is about $8K.....these are listings from dealers who have them all shined up on the floor of their showrooms in Autotrader. I would not buy a Corvette at half the price....but so would just about anyone on PFF I suspect.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure some are over priced, but what I see is most ( the $2k and under crowd) underpriced. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-05-2013).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All depends on what people are willing to pay.. I got my pride and joy for a very good price... But I dont even want to mention what my selling price would be.

------------------

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
(84 IMSA) garage queen
(13 Veloster) daily grinder
(06 solstice) my vert Fiero
(00 jeep wrangler) fun in the mud.
The forums Youngest CDL driver

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by jaredmurray88:

You can find some good priced ones in PA... Bought my Green GT for $1000 in PA.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The idea is that a good car is much easier and cheaper to restore than one that is totally trashed.

Things like good interior parts are becoming difficult to find, NOS parts are rare and often expensive and so few parts are reproduced.

The reality is you can buy a very low mileage car for $10,000-7,000 and I mean low miles and not do a thing or very little. Or you can buy a trashed out car and gut it and do the whole deal to it and end up having $10,000-14,000 in it if you did it right and it will still be a high mileage car.

The clean mid mileage car may need paint and some detailing but generally it is all there and often will not need a Engine rebuild or rust issues. You can restore one for much less than one from out in the weeds.

But this is true of many cars as unless you can paint yourself and have all the parts it is generally cheaper to just buy a restored GTO or Trans Am anymore or a low mileage original car. I have seen GTO's with $75K in them and only be worth $38K. Still a good price but not if you have invested that much into it.

Welcome to the world of collector cars where most will break you and only a chose few will go for an over priced sale price at Barrret Jackson.

How long have we heard complaints the Fiero was too cheap and now we hear complaints they are too much, Make up your mind.
PFF
System Bot
PsychoPimpKiller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoPimpKillerSend a Private Message to PsychoPimpKillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I'm still kind of a newbie here but I was just out in my 88 GT tonight at a car cruise and I had the only Fiero there. The weather wasn't the greatest but it was nice plus there was a Penguins game on so I'm guessing that's why alot of people didn't come out. Mine is a higher mileage car with over 133,000 miles and it is all original but the paint still shines in most places and it runs and drives and passes PA inspection. I have thought about selling it in the past but now I plan on keeping it for as long as I can.

I haven't noticed that the prices have gone up all that much. I just think that some people ask for more than they want to get out of it so that when person buying it from them haggles them down on the price they will still get what they wanted out of it in the first place. And then buyer will think that they got a good deal. That's just my 2 cents anyway.
fierogt28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The idea is that a good car is much easier and cheaper to restore than one that is totally trashed.

Things like good interior parts are becoming difficult to find, NOS parts are rare and often expensive and so few parts are reproduced.

The reality is you can buy a very low mileage car for $10,000-7,000 and I mean low miles and not do a thing or very little. Or you can buy a trashed out car and gut it and do the whole deal to it and end up having $10,000-14,000 in it if you did it right and it will still be a high mileage car.

The clean mid mileage car may need paint and some detailing but generally it is all there and often will not need a Engine rebuild or rust issues. You can restore one for much less than one from out in the weeds.

But this is true of many cars as unless you can paint yourself and have all the parts it is generally cheaper to just buy a restored GTO or Trans Am anymore or a low mileage original car. I have seen GTO's with $75K in them and only be worth $38K. Still a good price but not if you have invested that much into it.

Welcome to the world of collector cars where most will break you and only a chose few will go for an over priced sale price at Barrret Jackson.

How long have we heard complaints the Fiero was too cheap and now we hear complaints they are too much, Make up your mind.

He's right...
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PsychoPimpKiller:

I know I'm still kind of a newbie here but I was just out in my 88 GT tonight at a car cruise and I had the only Fiero there. The weather wasn't the greatest but it was nice plus there was a Penguins game on so I'm guessing that's why alot of people didn't come out. Mine is a higher mileage car with over 133,000 miles and it is all original but the paint still shines in most places and it runs and drives and passes PA inspection. I have thought about selling it in the past but now I plan on keeping it for as long as I can.

I haven't noticed that the prices have gone up all that much. I just think that some people ask for more than they want to get out of it so that when person buying it from them haggles them down on the price they will still get what they wanted out of it in the first place. And then buyer will think that they got a good deal. That's just my 2 cents anyway.

What car cruise, where and is it a regularly scheduled one? And the over priced/over valued/too cheap/what was he thinking discussion.....it all boils down to supply and demand.

[This message has been edited by Vernon8360 (edited 06-06-2013).]

fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I AGREE with you on the cost effectiveness of RESTORATION costs for a Fiero and buying a low mileage, well cared for Fiero.

What I didn't make myself clear on are the ones that take an extremely clean complete showroom new Fiero and mod it.
And in NO way am I implying that their method is wrong, I'm looking for the reasoning.
I like my rebodies but I can't see taking a 5K mile "perfect" Fiero and tearing it apart to turn around and replace every panel, suspension part, interior, taking out the low mileage 2.8L to replace it with a crate engine.
And for the record, I'm pleased that the prices are going up. That makes the rare bargain even sweeter.

PsychoPimpKiller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoPimpKillerSend a Private Message to PsychoPimpKillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vernon8360:

What car cruise, where and is it a regularly scheduled one? And the over priced/over valued/too cheap/what was he thinking discussion.....it all boils down to supply and demand.

There is one up at Pittsburgh Mills mall every Wednesday and Friday from about May until September or when the weather is cooperating. It's on the backside of the mall near where Dingbats used to be.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I AGREE with you on the cost effectiveness of RESTORATION costs for a Fiero and buying a low mileage, well cared for Fiero.

What I didn't make myself clear on are the ones that take an extremely clean complete showroom new Fiero and mod it.
And in NO way am I implying that their method is wrong, I'm looking for the reasoning.
I like my rebodies but I can't see taking a 5K mile "perfect" Fiero and tearing it apart to turn around and replace every panel, suspension part, interior, taking out the low mileage 2.8L to replace it with a crate engine.
And for the record, I'm pleased that the prices are going up. That makes the rare bargain even sweeter.

Oh hell by all means if you are going to throw most of it away get the cheapest frame you can get. But if you are not doing a kit and will need a good interior and suspension I would get a clean original car even if all you plan to do is an engine and paint.

The real fact is if you have a clean perfect Fiero the prices will never be high enough and if you are trying to buy a clean perfect car the prices will never be low enough. Just the way it is. LOL!
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my 87GT back in 2001 for $1,500. It was a 5spd sunroof car with around 80k on it when I bought it and I sold it when it had around 130k on it. Maroon/Gray bottom originally. I had it re-painted Graphite grey pearl, not the greatest paint job (pics made it look a lot better), lowered it, new struts, poly, swaybars, brakes. Put 17's on it, exhaust, stock 2.8L, 5spd from a Beretta, interior was pretty flawless and HID's and a mp3/cd player with center console subwoofer and got $7,500 out of it. That's what it was worth to me, heck I thought it was worth $8,500 to me. People maybe think it's way way overpriced, but that's what I wanted and luckily I got it. It's all about what someone wants to pay. Of course I don't think I'm ripping someone off, when I ask it because that's what I think it's worth, it maybe high in Fiero terms, but hey I got a check for $7,500.

What would you pay for a 87GT 5spd that looked like this with a stock 2.8L?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rare87GT (edited 06-10-2013).]

fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car doubled in price in less than a week. Does someone know something that I don't know about the skyrocketing prices of Fieros?
http://dallas.craigslist.or.../cto/3859842802.html
robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2013 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, in about 3 months I'm hoping to find a v6/sunroof/decent paint/running Fiero for about 2 grand. Hopefully it wont be a long search.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock