The Re-construction of my 86GT by bonezjustice
Started on: 04-16-2013 07:16 PM
Replies: 28 (705 views)
Last post by: crashyoung on 07-13-2013 07:52 PM
bonezjustice

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My name is Anthonie,

I brought my 86GT 4 years ago. I have done some mods to it but due to money and the military I was unable to really finish anything. Finally I have the time and funds to complete (hopefully) my first build. I have been doing research and designs and I am ready to tackle my first build. Here is the car, I bought it off of Ebay 4 years ago for 1500 dollars. I have messed around with the interior learning new tricks and messing with new materials.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The paint coming off the front clip was done from me driving in the snow 3 years ago, which cause the accident that put the car in the garage ever since. Here is some pictures of my interior when I first started this project, notice how everytime I change the interior it gets more and more advance.

This is my first attempt, using plexiglass. I put in a digital fuel gauge and I used my GPS as a speedo. thought it was kinda trick at the time.

Here is what I did about a two years later. I have more pictures I was going to do a write up but its this is not the focal point of the story. The gauge housing was from a 94 Ford Probe that I had 11 years ago... but I still had the dash (my first first first build that went SOOOO wrong)

The speedo was going to be a aftermarket heads up display that I had aquired. I turned out pretty cool except one thing. The gauges that I bought off of Ebay which was pretty cheap did nothing but look cool since it did not have anything to hook up sensors too. MISTAKE #2!
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I start buy purchasing Archie interior kit.

Here is the chrome switches that I'll be using these are 16MM. I have both latching and momentary switches.

This is the back up camera system with sensors.

My LED's that will back-lit everything.

And my gauges that I got from Speedhut racing.These are my design.
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I want to run a tablet as my radio and nav system. I chose to run with the Nexus 7 due to it running Google, and I love Google maps. I also have the Nexus 4 phone which works very well.

I bought the Nexus dock so that I can easily slide the tablet in and out without hooking up any wires

I started the fiberglass holder for this.

here is it mocked up on the dash.
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I wanted to do something different so I decide that I want to float my HUD in the center of my back-up camera monitor which will set in the middle of the gauges. something like this.

This is something that I carried over from my last gauge cluster that I made. When I put this on the dash the plan is for the whole monitor to be hidden until I back up, but only show the MPH while driving.
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started on the gauge cluster. I cut the holes out and marked where the camera monitor is going. I also worked on the glove box.

bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Too keep the project on schedule.... which is July 17th I have to jump around from the inside to the outside of the car. The whole is modeled loosely on the SR-71 Blackbird. I will take certain designs from the plane. Like my hood design with the active aerodynamics, as well as a new front clip from a 84 (thats right) Fiero.

As you see my driver side fender is busted but I found a perfectly good 84 in the pick and pull junk yard. I took the whole front (both fenders, hood, and bumper) from it. all in good condition.

here is the 84 front end.

and after a little cleaning.
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Well thats it for tonight i will post more tomorrow. I hope everybody enjoys seeing the design come to life.
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2013 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that paint job reminds me of a van I knew when I was younger.

I thought the gauges looked nice, then the red backlight made me think they were awesome. I like the design!
looking forward to seeing your progress, keep it up!
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started making what I will call my information tunnel which will house my back-up camera monitor and HUD unit. I am making it out of plexiglass since every system will be design as a single individual unit, so if I have to upgrade, or replace I dont have to reinvent the wheel. I can just remove and replace.

bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I tend to skip around on my projects on the car, thats so I wont lose my interest and I can better see forward production on the car.

as of right now everything is held together with hot glue. I will dis-assemble it and paint it when I am finished and use a plastic epoxy to put it togther.

PFF
System Bot
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004

I noticed that the screen was a little out of placed, but I fixed it

The tunnel will be painted black and will have another screen which my HUD unit will project the MPH on to. When this unit is complete you wont be able to see the tunnel unit the car is turned on and only then the MPH will be displayed until the car is in reverse.
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished my HUD unit, but came up with a design change so back to the drawing board.... But this unit will be made from fiberglass and will include the idiot lights!.. Stand by for pictures later today.
dinocaprio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dinocaprioSend a Private Message to dinocaprioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did that car get down there. It was owned by a tattoo artist in Pa.
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought it from a car dealer on eBay 4 or 5 years ago... I love the paint job but the years are starting to show though
dinocaprio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dinocaprioSend a Private Message to dinocaprioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've the car twice before once in Pa. for sale and the other time in Nj. Funny thing I just bought a formula that was bought in nc off ebay 4 0r 5 years ago. Good luck I love the paint job.
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the late progress. Here is the latest and greatest.

I had a design change and rebuilt the the HUD unit

I rebuilt it using fiberglass so that the unit would be more durable

I reused my original design as part of the new design.

bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I like this new design better since it feels solid.

here is the speedometer that I put in a simple box to install under the HUD unit.

[This message has been edited by bonezjustice (edited 04-29-2013).]

bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004
HUD unit is complete now for the media center.

I mocked up the media unit using hot glue.

I got to trim off more material in the back so the unit leans back a little
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're doing some neat stuff. Pretty cool. Thanx for posting and keep up the good work.

Bob
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you RCR,

here is the latest and greatest. I fixed the placement of the tablet unit in the center consule.

I will box in the top and side of this unit so that I can replace and upgrade with changing the whole consule.

I will use fiberglass mat with real carbon fiber weave over it. I will make it into sheets so it is easy to use.

PFF
System Bot
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome start man! Looking forward to how all this turns out!
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delay. Life likes to throw obstacules when things start to run smooth on a project.
This is somewhat of how the center consul will be back-lited using red led. The top plexi-glass will be painted black and also tinted with smoke tint in certain location to allow light and the switch labels through

bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I wanted to curve the plexi-glass to follow the lines on the consul. So I made something like a mold so when I bring the plexi-glass up to temp I can brace it to the fiberglass to retain the shape.

I cover the fiberglass with foil so that the plexi-glass wont pick up anything from the mold
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! Keep up the work, I'm following this thread
bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the plexi-glass in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. You can kinda see the plastic go wavy a little. I pulled it out and placed it in the mold, let it cool and BAM!

bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bonezjustice

150 posts
Member since Apr 2004
I put the consul back in the car, I also put the AC controller in also. The only problem now is that I had cut the automatic shifter and now it is too short for a shifter knob. I have another one in my R & D parts Fiero.

bonezjustice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonezjusticeSend a Private Message to bonezjusticeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry i havent posted in a while, Life have again gotten in the way so I will not be able to finishby my dead line of july 18th. I will still continue my work and hope to have it finished soon.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome work!
I understand Murphy and projects, happens all the time

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock