How To ; Installing Aux Input on Factory Radio [ Working Method ] by Phirewire
Started on: 03-23-2013 08:17 AM
Replies: 4 (1616 views)
Last post by: Leukay on 12-14-2013 03:50 PM
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be clear, you are doing the install your self. You are responsible for anything you do wrong, and I do not recommend anyone not familiar with electronics steps into this. If you have never soldered something or rewired something, probably shouldn't start with this. That being said, hop on in and give it a shot, I have used this on my personal car for several months with no issues.

As requested from my thread; ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/063322.html ) I am doing a write up on how to install an auxiliary input on your factory radio. This will allow you to listen to your Ipod, phone, or storage device that uses a 3.5m headphone output.

How It Works;
This install works by tapping into your factory amplifier inside the radio. Your factory radio will still play Am/FM , and Cassettes etc. You are not removing features. With this, whenever you plug in the lead into your device it will override whatever is playing and switch to the new source. With this, install you will have a dimmed sound from the Am/FM and cassette unless a lead is put into the new aux Input to complete the circuit. It will still play without an auxiliary cable in but faded, you can have it in for a full sound from Fm/Am and such. If you are okay with this move on with the install instructions. Everything done correctly can be easily undone.

Successful Installs:
These are the installs using this method; Please share your install.
Phirewire:
http://i.imgur.com/cR4BQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jxvzn.jpg

Required Tools:
The wire, and method of connecting the wires is up to you. It can be done with bare minimum (Tape and speaker wire 22 gauge) or you can go high end (Solder or Clips, and 18 Gauge). Bigger is better, though when you get higher gauge wire it gets tricky to attach to the amplifer leads. I used Speaker wire, and had no problems though, to do it again I would use 20 and clips. Also be ware whatever speaker wire you choose must fit and run as far as you need it to, so either to the front face of the radio or wherever you choose to install the input.

1 RadioShack® 1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Phone Jack [ ]http://www.radioshack.com/...p?productId=2103451]

Pliers

Wire Cutters / Strippers

1/4 Socket / Nut Driver

Steps Of Install:
1. With radio removed, there are Three screws holding the top cover on. Two on the sides and One in the back.

2. Lift the cover off the top, it could be hard just play with it. (no sex pun intended)

( WILL CONTINUE AT A LATER TIME / OFF TO WORK )

[This message has been edited by Phirewire (edited 04-01-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump to top
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, new job has had me busy. I have off sunday so this should be up by then.
jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its cool my man I just wanted to keep the thread up so if anybody out there is watching for the mod they see it lol.
Leukay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeukaySend a Private Message to LeukayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any news to this or is there another working method posted that I can't find? I know the one in the how-to section ended kind of abruptly. Looking to do this to both of my vehicles

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock