87 GT Fastback - Build thread by KOS
Started on: 03-20-2013 09:47 AM
Replies: 198 (8107 views)
Last post by: KOS on 04-28-2017 10:19 AM
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I finally got a hold of another fiero. After selling my last one before my twins were born I wanted another project car and picked up this one on the weekend. 87 GT fastback with 104k. Texas car, I am the 4th owner and so far zero rust. Carfax came back 100% clean as well. Looks to still be original paint and overall is in really good condition.

Windows go up and down pretty quick, not slow like I have seen on others I was looking at. Power mirrors work, power doors sort of work. Looks like all lights are working with the exception of the front dirver side marker. Cruise works as well! Over all the interior is in real nice shape but has a bit of a musty odor from being the original stuff in there. No real rips or tears or bad bowing. Looks like the molding near the ebrake needs to be replaced.

I havent pulled to codes off it yet but I am getting a check engine at highway driving. Will try to do that later tonight. Right now the car is getting inspected so cross my fingers...as a gremlin showed up this morning.

I have a couple questions. The first gremlin is the head lights. When I was looking at the car the head lights went up and down no problem. Even tested them again last night. This morning (after raining last night) the lights didnt go up at first. After pushing the button a little harder the lights popped up and worked. Then driving about a mile the lights dropped down. After a couple on/off of the switch they came back up. This time they were on for a bit then the lights went out but were still up. Again on/off a few times, parked the car, helped my wife drop the kids off at school, got back in turned on the lights and they worked all the way till I got to work. Seems like the switch in the car may have a bad connection or ground or anyone else had this before?

Also I noticed the oil pressure gauge was normal when I first started it up and ran it. After it came up to temp the gauge was reading just above the red line at idle only, normal pressure while driving. I have the car in right now for an oil and filter change, so maybe this will help. But I did notice that. Any help on that would be great. Not sure if an oil change and filter will fix the problem...

The interior will be the first thing I work on. I plan to run a 7" galaxy tab utilizing a head unit. I got a sony head unit with A2DP bluetooth so I can have some option on connecting my phone with handsfree as well as the tab if I dont wire it directly in. More on that later. Right now I just ordered a bunch of stuff for it. Most of it will arrive today but I need to build my custom console first.

Speakers-
Noise cancelling mic-
7" Tab-
Amp-
Head unit-

Also ordered in some cabling etc.

This will give you an idea of how I plan to set mine up. Although I dont think this one shows a head unit...cant remember now
Carputer

I have to source some new carpet for the car. Anyone suggest a good place for new carpet PLUS the back carpet as well? That will be my next purchase along with new door panel and some EZ cool

This is going to be my official build thread but updates will probably be slow, with my work travel and having 4 year old twins...

On to the pics!

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 03-20-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car looks to be an awesome jump off point. Of course I may be a bit biased...

------------------

Fieroking Customs

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow nice looking car! I noticed there seems to be quite a few 87 GT's in that color!

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks!

Failed the inspection. They said there are 2 pin holes on either side of the cat. Need to take a look and see if it is something i can weld up easily. But they also said I needed a new brake booster..I need to read up on to test if the brake booster is bad now.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you are going somewhere too particular.
The last time I got my car inspected, because of no emission anymore, they didn`t even look under it or open the deck lid.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I think you are right Mike. It was close to work so I just took it there. Should just go to an inspection station
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
I took it to just brakes and talked to the manager. He checked it over and said my check valve is bad.. $5 replacement, none were in stock so I will get it tomorrow.

Booster exhausted when the valve was pulled leaving him to think it was only the valve that was bad after he tested it. Got 17-17.5 on the vaccum pull so that is normal.

He asked if I went to jiffy lube up the street as people have been failing a lot lately. He said he spoke to an inspector friend and recently the state did audits and busted 3 people in the area. So it may be everyone is clamping down. Not sure but I will fix the valve and get the car on jacks this weekend amd weld up the 2 holes.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
I am still getting low oil pressure after the oil and filter change. Again it is only happening after the car warms up and sits at idle. I would think if my pump is going bad it would still be way low even under load...
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2013 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KOS:

I am still getting low oil pressure after the oil and filter change. Again it is only happening after the car warms up and sits at idle. I would think if my pump is going bad it would still be way low even under load...

Your 2.8 is about to eat a connecting rod bearing.
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't worry about welding it since it's in the cat and will be replaced soon anyway most likely I would get some of that exhaust tape or something like it. If you take a welder to it you will most likely burn through. Or is it on pipe not the actual cat?
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just need to hook up a mechanical pressure gauge to verify what it is at.

Yeah Ben it is on the pipe not the cat itself.
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to say, Dan to get a gauge and try it.
My runs a little low at idle and I keep meanng to replace the sensor.
Mike
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well found out I wasnt able to charge the ac myself. So Monday it is getting dropped off to get a few things fixed. Ac, brakes are at the top along with getting the inspection done.

Also ordered a new oil sending unit and headlight switch. I am going to have the shop hook up a mechanical pump on the oil while they have too.

The new stereo parts all arrived so I am excited about that. But depending on the cost to get that stuff fixed above will depend if I order in my new carpet and ez cool this week.

Oh and will also have order the new door panels at that time too. Moving along but no pics yet of anything.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Just wanted to test my signature...

------------------
Dan

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm jealous how CLEAN the car is, especially the exterior! Great looking start to your build.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
light switch: the copper tabs inside are losing contact, it's a very easy fix. Just disassemble and do a little bending.

oil pressure: How low is low? If you are near the red line with a hot engine at idle, it's pretty normal. Make sure it jumps up at driving speed.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks jfrost. I feel the same way. Pretty happy with it thats for sure!

So the oil drops just above the red, it may touch the top of the red but never any lower. Jumps up as soon as the gas is touched. It usually hovers there after it is warmed up. Then has good pressure while driving
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Yeah I figures the switch needed a little tlc. But just bought a new one for looks and to have another new part on the car too.

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't. Help. Myself.

Ordered in some pegasus badges and custom door sills this weekend...car still going in Monday, fingers crossed I can order the carpet this week.

------------------
Dan

Brandons87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brandons87Send a Private Message to Brandons87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very clean, i especially like the color very..soothing
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! I have been talking to Russ about some interior pieces. I think new door panels, shifter and ebrake boot and new armrest will be ordered this week. This interior is going to be expensive but nice I hope!
PFF
System Bot
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well AC is fixed. New thermostat is in, new brake booster and master cylinder too. Now just need to work out the e-brake adjustment to get the pedal height back up.

Also got the new headlight switch and oil sending unit today. But wont get to that until after my trip. Was hoping to order the interior parts from Russ this week but that will have to wait till I get back as well.

The best news is I do have an inspection sticker on it now! Bad news is that looks like I will need to replace my ball joints soon. Maybe a good time to look at upgrading the lower control arms?
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well at least I got the new headlight switch installed. Been travelling and havent really started anything yet. However the sound/heat shield and new carpet from stock interiors has been ordered. Got the ultra plush with mass backing. Once that arrives I will start actually doing something!

In the mean time I should start drawing up my center console, both upper and lower for the new goodies.
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Your 2.8 is about to eat a connecting rod bearing.

Well, you can drive it with low oil pressure for awhile, but yeah, you will need to prepare for an engine swap. We haven't hit the 100* mark yet and the oil is fresh. Probably wasn't that old to begin with.
Code is most likely 31. EGR solenoid.
I have to agree, looks a lot better than some you were interested in.
Can't wait to see all the updates!

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

[This message has been edited by fierocarparts (edited 04-09-2013).]

852m4se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2013 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 852m4seSend a Private Message to 852m4seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very nice gt
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even though you replaced the oil sending unit, don't assume you have low oil pressure. I don't see that you commented on hooking up a mechanical gauge to check it but can tell you from experience, mine did what yours is doing, I replaced the sender and it still did it. had it checked with a proper gauge and oil pressure is 35 at idle and 48-50 at 2,500 rpm. I think someone I know wrapped plumber tape around the sender before putting it in. might not be getting a proper ground. just saying.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually oil pressure is fine. So no need to worry about that anymore. I havent installed the new sending unit yet but hopefully that will correct the gauge.

I do have a small issue with my brakes and need to figure out if it is the ebrake adjustment or new calipers. Just have a bit of a low pedal.

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just got in my badges and door sills. Sorry for the crappy shot.

I was thinking of using the smaller ones on the inside as underlays, but I am now considering making these out of plastic instead.... more on that later.

------------------
Dan

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 04-11-2013).]

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Got the heat shield stuff today from lobucrod and also here is a pic of the stereo stuff...starting to come together slowly!

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2013 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it's officially off the road for a while. Got most of the interior stripped out.

Man it is nice to have this thing out. Nasty!

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2013 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Got the driver's side heat/sound barrier laid up. Still need to do some final trimming but looks good so far.

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 04-14-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man it is hard to get enough time to get everything done!

At least I got the roof shielded tonight

Also got both carpets inside the car but still need to trim that up. However I really want to redo my dash but I also want to drive the car soon. So I may consider removing it in the next couple days. Or tackle it later. Still need to trim the roof shielding stuff still.

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Does anyone know what that little cylinder laying beside the cigarette lighter? I want to replace it but I am not sure what that is and I cant seem to find one similar online.

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
decided to rework the dash in the car so I got that pulled out.

Anyone know the best method to clean these copper connections? THey look to be a little green...

Also found this little gem in the car, looks to be an old alarm system that I will need to remove.

Lastly, started on the dash modification. More to come on this as I progress through the build. But I am getting close. I have most of the other interior trim panels painted and the speaker covers re-covered. Also the firewall cover has been recovered too. Need to get some more pics of everything to post later.

I ended up swapping out most of the the old bulbs in the car with LED's, but need to order a bunch more to swap out the speedo cluster and aux gauges too.

------------------
Dan

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 04-22-2013).]

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Got the dash painted tonight. Although I think I am still going to do some suede on the top of it.

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Crappy pic but here is what the trim panel in the rear looks like with the suede cover speaker on

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
playing around with the dash right now. Trying to decide what to go with. I was thinking I would cover the top in a microfiber suede and then do a tan cut out where the pocket is with an emblem. The color in these pics is not very good at all.

Here is one without the top suede material on and just the covered speakers sitting on top....

Trying to decide which one I like best still...

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
now do i go with the large emblem or smaller one?

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2013 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
these came in the mail today

nice 10 watt, 2.1 amp per USB so it will actually be of use to charge stuff. Got 2 of them so I can run one for the tab (and eventually external hard drive) and have 2 ports free in the car to use for various things.

------------------
Dan

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KOS

461 posts
Member since Feb 2008
also got my second round of LEDs in today. Car is going to be bright!

------------------
Dan

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay