Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Gauging Interest... Notchback LED Tail Lights (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Gauging Interest... Notchback LED Tail Lights by doublec4
Started on: 03-17-2013 05:36 PM
Replies: 88 (3859 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 12-10-2013 08:14 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see if there is interest in these LED tail lights I built for the notchback. They would be completely plug and play and they would come with a remote control for adjusting the brightness of the parking lights, plus a strobe function for the parking lights for car shows. I would not be willing to modify the brake/turn circuit for the strobe feature.

There would also be two models available. One without reverse lights (so you can put your own reverse lights in where the reflectors go in the rear bumper), and a model with integrated reverse lights.

The kit would come with lenses to replace your current red/clear lenses, as well as the LED panels. It would be an easy swap and completely reversible. You would reuse your stock housings without any modification.

Parking lights:

Wide viewing angle:

Brake/Turn signal on with Parking lights at 25% brightness:

Brake/Turn signal on with Parking lights at 50% brightness:

Brake/Turn signal on with Parking lights at 100% brightness:

Reverse Lights:

Lights Off (model with reverse lights)

Even though there is a red lens in there, the tail lights naturally have a tinted look. Also, the lights look like solid bars in the pictures, but they are individual LEDs. In person it is easier to identify that they are separate LEDs when you get up close.

Here is a video showing the remote function of the brightness and strobing modes.

I'm also thinking about making a LED flashing third brake light... kind of like the F1 style flashing brake light.

Any interest?
------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 03-17-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Delta_32-1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Delta_32-1Send a Private Message to Delta_32-1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested, that looks spectacular!
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't currently own a notchback but it looks like a cool idea. When I did own my notchie I always wanted to do some kind of LED tail lights.
fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested for one with back-ups. And of course the cost is/has to be an issue. Retired on fixed income.

DARKWING
Mike Parker
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested as well...at least interested enough to get an idea of what price range we would be looking at. But, I am still a cheap Fiero owner, which means my interest in them does not translate to "I am ready to buy as soon as they are available"...rather, it means "I like the idea, I think they look good, and I would like to have them on my car if I can afford them when I am at that stage in my project."
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good guys,

I should have included a price range. They are quite a bit of work to make, but I'm thinking about $250 range for the model with the reverse lights. Slightly less without the reverse lights.

Thanks!
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stick my name down in the interested column! Those look great!
kriswinner

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kriswinnerSend a Private Message to kriswinnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes..definitely interested.
When are you thinking these would be available?
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
interested

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE (3800 in progress)
Fieros For Sale

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested as well!

------------------

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!
PFF
System Bot
kazew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewSend a Private Message to kazewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested but I would need to see daytime direct sunlight/setting sun brake light turn signal test first, night shots aways look impressive but they must perform well in the day. The viewing angle from the rear by drivers high up like in a semi truck is also very important.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kazew:

Interested but I would need to see daytime direct sunlight/setting sun brake light turn signal test first, night shots aways look impressive but they must perform well in the day. The viewing angle from the rear by drivers high up like in a semi truck is also very important.

Good point, here are some day time pictures. I'll try and get a few from a high angle as well, should look the same as the wide angle from the side.

By the way, these ones above were earlier prototypes.

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 03-17-2013).]

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you could make the turn signal sequential, that would be cool too...
fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larini74:

If you could make the turn signal sequential, that would be cool too...

I would be very interested in a set with back-ups lights! If they were sequential that would sweeten the pie and make the price in line with my budget. I have sequentially now with led bulbs & would like to keep the sequential feature.

DARKWING
Mike Parker

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2013 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That last pic completely shows updated look! Any chance these would adapt to a GT?
n3srj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n3srjSend a Private Message to n3srjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a set with back up lights!

Rich
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love a set for the GT...if you ever go that direction as well.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys,

I could eventually do GT tail lights, but I don't own any to make prototypes with. If anyone in Ontario wants to get rid of some old broken ones, I could try and make something with those.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2013 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent...
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow oh wow! That's a beautiful work of lighting art! GT lights would be awesome. But would probably fall under my "to do list" as I'm a poor Fiero owner. Lol
PFF
System Bot
FieroAK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAKSend a Private Message to FieroAKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a set, with backup lights. I was thinking LED tail lights for my notchback would be ideal. Lol.

Zach
Ronnyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnyboySend a Private Message to RonnyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested depending on final price. Any chance you could add sequential/turn signal modes to these?
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a set as well with the sequential. I have that already so not sure if I could use mine or not, not sure how they work. Came with the car. If you could do a gt, I would wait for that and change to that style.
ProNUNICAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ProNUNICANSend a Private Message to ProNUNICANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are pretty neat. I have been looking into building my own LED taillights for my 86 GT. What LED's did you use?
TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOVE the look of these and have been looking for something like this.
$250 is definitely in line with aftermarket pricing.
I'd love to some video of these in action on-road, going through all the motions.
Love the programmable parking brightness and add me to the "sequential turns" camp.
Please add me to any list you have for updates.
triadtuning at hotmail.

------------------
~Michael
'85 GT 4sp white - SOLD | | '85 2M6 Auto red - SOLD | | '84 2M4 bare chassis - SOLD
Crap, I'm out of Fieros! Time to buy another!!

Help me choose my next project... Aero Notch vs. Late Coupe?

CheshireGrin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CheshireGrinSend a Private Message to CheshireGrinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested and even willing to put in a deposit for the 250 price range.
Thanks
Ryan
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are super nice! I was thinking of doing the same thing but with the led lights that go under the tailgates of the truck. And I wanted three bars. But if these are around 250, I may have to talk to the misses a new pair of shoes and a purse so I can have these!
revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am ready for a set!
could yellow be used for the turns? Like maybe inside the rows of red LED's
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are freaking sweet. I will save up for a set after my wife's car is repaired. Especially if you make them sequential. I have a decent set of GT lights I could trade for part of the payment if you're interested.
PFF
System Bot
arte444

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$250 with cores?
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heck yah put me down as Interested! Any chance in getting the LED to go all the way around with the parking light? I tried to photo chop it for yah to see?

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

Robertzep2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Good point, here are some day time pictures. I'll try and get a few from a high angle as well, should look the same as the wide angle from the side.

By the way, these ones above were earlier prototypes.

Looks similar to the original prototype! Nice work! Of course, LED's were a bit more primitive in 1983, and obviously not used on the proto.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all of the support guys.

Unfortunately, I don't think the sequential option will be done as it adds cost/complexity/time and would probably no longer make it plug and play. This would just drive the price up and price is always an important selling point.

Also, adding amber LEDs for turn signals isn't really possible as the lights currently work because they plug into the stock harness. As we know, on the notchback, the turn signal/brake light share the same circuit.

I could make the light pattern rectangular, just not sure how cleanly I can get it done. I'm going to build a few sets as shown in the pictures and maybe if I have I can experiment with other ideas. Looks like there is enough interest to make them available though. I'll put together a few kits so I have some stock and get a sale thread going in the mall soon

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

NEVERDONE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok this would be sweet but tweaked a little! (I know ser going crazy and screwing with your idea but....)
What if you have the outline on with parking lights and then the two original bars as planned!

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:

Heck yah put me down as Interested! Any chance in getting the LED to go all the way around with the parking light? I tried to photo chop it for yah to see?

Edit. Sorry! I just realized that's what your photoshop was! Ooops!

[This message has been edited by NEVERDONE (edited 03-18-2013).]

h.d.fire

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for h.d.fireSend a Private Message to h.d.fireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Add me to the list!
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you finally posted about this. You know I'm in, dude.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd probably be in if I had a notchie. If you go into GT lights im sure id invest... pretty sure
Trust one

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Trust oneSend a Private Message to Trust oneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks good add me to your list for my 88 formula...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock