Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Buick Reatta what do you think ?? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Buick Reatta what do you think ?? by freedom0226
Started on: 03-08-2013 12:52 PM
Replies: 79 (3936 views)
Last post by: Quad Raider on 05-18-2014 02:45 PM
freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw this car for the first time and thought it was notchback fiero at first..Wondering what do other fiero owners think about this car.
Post your comments whether bad or good

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine is in the front!
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It never caught on. In typical GM fashion, it sort of did everything barely adequately, but not remarkably, with an emphasis on comfort..(Buick), but nothing notable like a rear engine or high performance, or flashy styling. The boldest idea on the whole car was the touch-screen control panel, and that overwhelmed so many (older) buyers that they had to take it out. The people who could afford to buy it wanted more luggage space, or more seats to take their bosses to the country club. Car guys hated it...it got to be known as a 'chick car', which pretty much kills the brand recognition.

The car weighed 3500 lbs! and the only transmission was automatic.....blaaaah.
It had a 165 hp. 3800...V6, which would be nice in a Fiero I suppose...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Reatta

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-08-2013).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neat little Buicks (you have to remember.. it is a Buick).
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always liked the car. Too bad they didn't offer it in another GM platform with more performance inspiration. Buick was too "Old person" for me back then other than the GNX.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They're interesting to see in person. There was one in a junkyard here a couple years ago, and I spent a good 20 minutes crawling around it taking things apart just to see how they were constructed, it was fascinating.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

They're interesting to see in person. There was one in a junkyard here a couple years ago, and I spent a good 20 minutes crawling around it taking things apart just to see how they were constructed, it was fascinating.

I had a similar experience. Saw one in my local pull-a-part a few months ago and spent several minutes looking it all over. I remember thinking they looked pretty cool when they first came out. The one that was in the salvage looked practically brand new.
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by freedom0226:

I saw this car for the first time and thought it was notchback fiero at first..Wondering what do other fiero owners think about this car.

When I was doing swaps, I was thinking a 3800SC would be a cool swap. The Reatta is a nice two seater. I never got around to it though. There aren't a lot of them around.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 03-08-2013).]

1984whitesc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own one and I rather like them. They corner very very well. The only thing I didn't like is I tend to slide around in the leather seats. They do t hug you like a fiero does. They are peppy though. The maintenance sucks cause the parts are not that easy to find and if the anti-lock brakes fail its very hard to stop the car.

------------------

1984 White Fiero Sport Coupe (Juliet) in restoration
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089093.html
1988 Red Fiero Standard Coupe (Bella) in restoration
1990 Black Buick Reatta (Noir)
2002 White Chevy Impala base(Haylie)

Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I almost bought a white one. Fieros > Reattas > Allantes IMO
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A family friend fixed one up for their daughter for when she turned 16. They gave it to her on her birthday and she threw a fit. The next day, they took it and traded it in on a brand new Jeep Liberty.

I never said they were smart family friends. The girl is like Veruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Spoiled beyond repair.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (Daily Driver)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
1984 Pontiac Fiero. 2m4(My Fixer Upper) 73K miles.
Soon to be the proud owner of my very own 88 GT.

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neat car but pretty much a half bakes idea. It could have been so much more and they left so much on the table.

The Coupe were not much to me but convertible has some appeal. Imagine if they had made it RWD and with a Turbo or SC V6.

There was a lot of issues with the center stack as they got older. The electronic were a little more advanced vs. the quality.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My cousin has three Reattas, one coupe and two convertables. The early version of anti lock brakes can be a hassle, the AC works well, but needs to be reset priodically. They are a comfortable cruising car.

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 03-08-2013).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Car guys hated it...it got to be known as a 'chick car'...

Same as the Fiero.

Didn't stop us from owning a "girlie car" though, did it?
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Same as the Fiero.

Didn't stop us from owning a "girlie car" though, did it?

Chicks like chick cars... So there's a plus.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like Reattas, even though they are more expensive stylish Rivieras of the same time period. The german Teeves ABS system is very complex and expensive to repair, which leaves almost no brakes if it fails. Also you will pay $1k+ for a new windshield if you need one. But I'm big fan of the 88-89 digital touch screen, really neat for its time period. I almost bought one a few times but it never worked out.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a few 3800 swaps out there, so it's been done. There is even one with a 5 speed.
There was a comment above that was not correct though and I would like to set the record straight: the CRT in the dash went away after 2 years because of problems with the CRT controller, not because people didn't know how to use them. On another note, a greater item of interest about the Reatta (than the CRT in the dash) is the fact that it is a two seater!! So what? Well, let me ask you a question.....When was the last time (other than the Reatta) Buick made a two seater?
Kit
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2013 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kitskaboodle

2990 posts
Member since Nov 2004

Originally posted by freedom0226:

I like mine because it's a good looker, it's relatively rare (compared to a Fiero anyways) and its a good cruiser/weekend trip car for two people.
As for performance and handling...it's not even in the same league as a Fiero. It may look like you can toss it into corners with aplomb but that is not reality. When contemplating a Reatta purchase make sure "cruiser" is fixated in your mind and "canyon carver" has been erased from it.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think "Cadillac" when you are talking about Reattas.

Probably the highest amount of technology GM put into a Buick; and probably the most expense spent on a production car of this era. All the ones I've seen had insulation all around the engine compartment, custom molded hard plastic "ducts" the wiring ran thru (in the engine compartment) - like what Cadillacs commonly have. And these also have touch screens, trip computers, digital instrument clusters, body computers, etc etc etc - the list goes on. (The Riviera and the Olds Toronado/Trofeo had about the same amount of electronics.)

Resale value for these cars still "books" high. But it really is nothing more than your standard Buick FWD sedan offered in a shortened, 2-seater coupe.

I've done a 3800 Series 2 SC swap in one and tuned chips for many others who have also done 3800 SC swaps. Sadly, being FWD, all that added power does is just spin the tires.

Still, they are nice looking cars and fun to drive - for a FWD car, that is.

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 03-09-2013).]

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What makes them so unique is they were possibly the only american made automobile that was hand assembled at the factory. Much like Fieros, the last year was the one to get. Earlier models had touch screen problems along with brake and traction control sensors. Personally, I wish I had one.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just recently started seeing them in the junkyard, actually the junkyard had like 5-6 of them at the same time.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - (pending L67 swap)
98 GTP - Some mods

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The truth is while they may book more than a Buick sedan of the same era that is all relative to the fact that the Buick sedan is worthless.

I often see coupes for the price of a good Fiero and the Convertible is often a little higher because it was a drop top and it looks better.

The CRT in these are what really hurts the resale as if there are any issues parts are difficult to find and in the early cars you lose it you lose the radio, air etc.

The fact is you can get a low mileage coupe for less than 10K and that is sad as there are not that many of these. If the Fiero GT were in similar numbers it would be priced much higher.

We need to keep in mind that this car is just a short wheel base Riviera so there really is little sport to the car. Fun yes but not sport.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not many is correct. I believe they made a little over 10,000 Reatta's. For a GM product that is a dismal failure. If it were 10,000 Ferrari's, they would be throwing a party in Modena. By the way, nobody answered my question above. It is one of the main reasons Buick built this car.
So.....when was the last time Buick made a two-seater?
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 03-09-2013).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Not many is correct. I believe they made a little over 10,000 Reatta's. For a GM product that is a dismal failure. If it were 10,000 Ferrari's, they would be throwing a party in Modena. By the way, nobody answered my question above. It is one of the main reasons Buick built this car.
So.....when was the last time Buick made a two-seater?
Kit

Buick built a few roadsters back in the teens and early 20's and as far as I know that was the only production ones they did. They were similar to a Stutz in styling.

They did build several in the 50's like the le sabre and the Wildcat show cars.

GM was pretty tight on two seaters due to the Vette. They seldom would let any division play in this venue much for production. GM in the 80's was hurting for money and their down sized cars were doing poorly so they needed the attention.

To be honest 10,000 Reattas was not a terrible number. Considering the nature of this car and not being much in the way of performance it did better than some. Look at the Chrysler Maserati of the same era.

Ferrai is a poor comparison as they limit their models as they know better than to over build them. The 2 seat market is limited and they know enough not to over build any one year and leave people wanting more. In this segment the key is to keep demand up on a limit sale car. Mazda has done this very well over the years. If you look they limit the car to keep up demand. If they had sold 100,000 in each of the first two years it may not be around today.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's at least half a dozen Reatta's here in Traverse City, in fact I see them more frequently than Fieros.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like mine because it's a good looker, it's relatively rare (compared to a Fiero anyways) and its a good cruiser/weekend trip car for two people.
As for performance and handling...it's not even in the same league as a Fiero. It may look like you can toss it into corners with aplomb but that is not reality. When contemplating a Reatta purchase make sure "cruiser" is fixated in your mind and "canyon carver" has been erased from it.

+1 for using the word "aplomb"
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by hyperv6:

They did build several in the 50's like the le sabre and the Wildcat show cars.

GM was pretty tight on two seaters due to the Vette. They seldom would let any division play in this venue much for production. GM in the 80's was hurting for money and their down sized cars were doing poorly so they needed the attention.

The Chevy guys would have never allowed it but maybe an upscale Buick or Cadillac version of the Fiero would have saved it?

I always liked the Wildcat show cars from the 80s. Unfortunately nothing ever became of them. This still looks cool to me 25 years later.

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last two seater Buick made before the Reatta?
Answer: Before WW2 when Buick came out with a 2 door "Business Coupe".
HyperV6... My Ferrari comparison was meant to make a point about GM Corp penny-pinchers and the numbers quota's that they plan for any given car.
Kit
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK.....the best Buick 2 seater. The only trouble is I think they made 4 of them.

This was based on the 1953 corvette, and in the traveling 1955 Motorama show.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-09-2013).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The little red one at the top of this page looks pretty danged good to me.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

The little red one at the top of this page looks pretty danged good to me.

Yes, it does. There is a few Reatta guys that have put an Alero spoiler on their car. I think this is one of them.
On another note, if someone doesn't mind hosting a pic I would be glad to show off a pic of my 90.
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 03-09-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put um up. I think the the blacked out wheels make it more appealing. All I have seen had those hideous 5 spoke aluminum wheels. Looks like they are obtainable fairly cheaply. Flip tops too!!
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need someone I can send a pic to...
Kit
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always liked them.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kit

You had a PM a little while ago.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kit

Send it to me at josef644@yahoo.com
and I will post em for you.
-Joe
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.
Skuzzboomer, I sent you the pic just a few minutes ago.
By the way....a tiny bit of history on this car. It is originally from Texas and I bought it from a fellow forum member Dale. Otherwise known as "Songman". He used to host the California Coast Run and is now pursuing his singing career.
Kit
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Last two seater Buick made before the Reatta?
Answer: Before WW2 when Buick came out with a 2 door "Business Coupe".
HyperV6... My Ferrari comparison was meant to make a point about GM Corp penny-pinchers and the numbers quota's that they plan for any given car.
Kit

Most business coupes would seat three people. At least out 38 Chevy business coupe was considered a 3 passenger. That is why I did not include it.

I know what you mean on production at GM. One of the most damaging things they did to the car was building too many the first two years. Add the flooding of the market with these cars with the other issues it really hurt demand. To be honest the ability to sell 30K plus cars in 88 was pretty good considering.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by jscott1:
The Chevy guys would have never allowed it but maybe an upscale Buick or Cadillac version of the Fiero would have saved it?

I always liked the Wildcat show cars from the 80s. Unfortunately nothing ever became of them. This still looks cool to me 25 years later.

I have seen this car in person and it is neat but it never was intended for production.

What would have help save the Fiero is If they had built the 88 in 84 and sold it as an Opel, Vauxhall and Holden in other markets. Flooding the American market with an different version would have had minimal effect.

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that Buick Wildcat looks like an Audi R8 ! I see where Audi stole the concept from now

I always thought the Reatta was mid engine from the look of it. I was sitting in my Fiero one day picking up my gf from work and this kid that worked at publix says to me (my windows were down) "Hey cool fiero, thats my Reatta over there" and we talked about engine swaps for a bit and he told me he was looking for a Fiero.

Cool times
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock