Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Rubber bushings for 88 trailing arms (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Rubber bushings for 88 trailing arms by Rodney
Started on: 03-02-2013 04:04 AM
Replies: 81 (2632 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 03-27-2015 03:40 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have started on getting these made finally. They will be molded in a thin steel sleeve and will be a press in type. This is for the long rear trailing arms on the 88 Fiero. Sorry I put this off for too long. It will take a few 3-4 months before I have some on hand. I might have a simple press in aluminum tool made also to help with pressing them in. Most likely I would include a sanding flapper wheel to sand the ID of the ends to remove any rubber from the old bushings or rust etc.

Any other requests? I think the rest of the rubber suspension bushings used in the 88 are still available? Or some have found substitutes that work?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet. Keep up the good work.

Mark
zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I'm not sure the others are available. It would be great to get them all together as a set since they all probably would need to be replaced at the same time. Thanks for looking out for our needs Rodney! Still hopeful that you'll get the T-Top seals too a some point...hint hint....

------------------
My Fiero...

88 Yellow CJB #182 of 1252 formula

FieroCustom

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCustomClick Here to visit FieroCustom's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroCustomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes! I don't really want to go to poly in my DD as it tends to squeak. I second the T-top Seal problem. I know mine are shot.

------------------
John
1955 Chevrolet 210 Sedan (Shopping list in progress)
1988 SE seized duke...next engine...1996 LQ1 found
~Future 1990 Fiero Clone?
1988 T-Top Coupe rocking 41 MPG!
1986 SE Project Mayhem
1999 F350 Crew Dually ~17mpg city 22 hwy
Wife's 2001 Saturn SL1 51MPG high score

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCustom:

Yes! I don't really want to go to poly in my DD as it tends to squeak. I second the T-top Seal problem. I know mine are shot.

I will admit poly is somewhat harsh in an 88 ( but not as bad as a full poly 84-87 rear suspension), however I have not heard one squeak from it yet.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:
I think the rest of the rubber suspension bushings used in the 88 are still available? Or some have found substitutes that work?

Only the toe-link bushings are currently available as a direct fit option. The currently available trailing link bushings require a sleeve (16mm bolt vs. the 14mm used in the fiero) and the solid lateral link needs to be modified to use the toe-link bushings. Here is all the info:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121294.html

Having bushing options that are a direct fit for the 88 rear would be a great thing. I only run rubber bushings in the trailing link to keep road harshness to a minimum so I would be interested in a few sets of the trailing link bushings.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was able to buy brand-new trailing arms (yes the long ones) with new rubber in them as recently as a year ago; it took some searching but I finally got them. Made in USA. I've yet to do anything with them since I'm still up in the air about what to do with the lateral and adjusting links.

Rodney has the better solution, in my opinion, since his bushing won't require replacing any original hard parts with unknown aftermarkets.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another vote for a full set of rubber replacements.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll look at having the ones made for the lateral and toe links also.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I will offer up my car as a first set test subject for the full set!
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even though my cradle swap is on hold while I consentrate on school, I'll be buying at least two sets as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Jonathan
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, I think the 88 sway-bar bushings would be a good idea.

Front and rear.

Thanks for the effort on getting trailing arm bushings replacements a reality.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds nice. I've got to get around to working on the red '88 GT one of these days, and I'm sure a new set will likely be in order.

Thanks for all you do for the Fiero community Rodney!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to have a set of the proper rubber replacements to do the rear of my car.
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be in for two ful sets. Also would vote for sway bar bushings.

Mike
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2013 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Making progress. Still will take a long time but I should have them some time this summer.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2013 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is good news. I'm in for a set.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me too...
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on them. Long lead time. Tooling has to be made etc. These things always take way longer than you want them to. But I'm quite sure I will have them this summer some time.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I lost this thread. (Actually didn't know it existed. Just saw them mentioned in another thread.)

I'm definitely in for a set of the trailing arm bushings.
In case I zone out again, please feel free to PM when you have them.
Much appreciated.
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keeping an eye out.
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still working on the rear 88 rubber bushings. We have one engineered and CAD drawn. Two to go yet. Once all three are engineered and CAD drawn I will have them make them. Tooling needs to be made first. Tooling is expensive to make these. Will be a while yet. Maybe by late summer or fall.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm still working on the rear 88 rubber bushings. We have one engineered and CAD drawn. Two to go yet. Once all three are engineered and CAD drawn I will have them make them. Tooling needs to be made first. Tooling is expensive to make these. Will be a while yet. Maybe by late summer or fall.

------------------

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
patiently waiting............
timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll look at having the ones made for the lateral and toe links also.

You really are a god among mere men!

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero still runs because of Rodney Dickman parts.
Whenever they're available - I'll take a set. I've never seen any product from you that was less than OEM quality.

Keep up the good work Rodney!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have made good progress. The first batch is the 3 rubber bushings used in the 3 trailing arms for the 88 Fiero. The 3 drawings are finished. I have a few minor dimension changes that have to be made yet and soon they will make me some. It appears they will be making me some pre-production samples first. The one bushing that is in the steel sleeve will be reproduced exactly as the original GM bushing. The other two will be in a thin machined steel sleeve that will be pressed into the original trailing arms. They first wanted to make the OD all rubber but I felt that is difficult for most people to install. So I had them change them to an outer steel sleeve type that is press fit into the arms. Similar to my rubber dog bones: http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=22&products_id=301

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome news! I'll be needing them for my cradle swaps.

In fact that's the whole reason I've not completed the swap! I'm waiting on Rodney's bushings! Yeah, that's the ticket!

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have made good progress.

Jay-ID

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jay-IDSend a Private Message to Jay-IDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Count me in for a set once ready!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still working on this. I've had some things about them and their dimensions etc hold me up yet before we can make them. But I will succeed in time. I'm sure by late winter I'll have some on hand. I've made progress on the rubber frame front and rear sway bar bushings for the 88's. I should get those done by late winter/spring. The tooling/start up costs on these is huge. But if I do not make them who will? I'm also looking to make (more or less) exact reproductions of the factory 88 sway bar end links.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

PFF
System Bot
Corpsmen Ed

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Corpsmen EdClick Here to visit Corpsmen Ed's HomePageSend a Private Message to Corpsmen EdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump...

Ever get these finished?

I will be ready for a set pretty soon. Plus some additional items. I see another large Rodney Dickman purchase in my future.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This one has taken a lot longer than it should. I have a few excuses. But: I have made progress on them and I am moving forward on them and they will get done. Still a ways off yet. But they will get done by mid summer or so I hope.

Also working on the rubber pieces for the frame mounts for the 88 sway bars front and rear.

Sorry for the long delay on these pieces.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently swapped an '88 rear cradle into my '87 Fiero, and the trailing arm bushings are a little worse for wear. So you'll have another customer, as soon as those bushings are available.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be in for a set as soon as they're ready!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still working on this. All three are CAD drawn. Working on a few dimensions on 2 of them. To begin I'm going to get some made for R&D testing to see how they fit. I'll be looking for a few to try them in their 88 rear suspension arms. The concern on the 2 arms is the tubes they get pressed into are rolled and welded making it hard to determine a good outer diameter that will press in and fit nice. If the R&D samples are too loose or too tight I'll have them adjust the diameters and maybe try another run of R&D samples. Lots of tooling costs to make these. Roll the steel outer tubes to the shape/size and then the rubber molding stuff. Once all goes well I'll have a batch made of each. Hopefully by the end of summer but it may be longer yet. Not an easy project but it needs to be done.

Also making progress on the 88 front and rear sway bar frame to sway bar rubber bushings. That is coming along well and should be ready in a few months (hopefully). They will be using a self lubricating type rubber generally used for these types of rubber sway bar bushings so they won't squeak.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rodney!

I am getting tired of the poly bushings in my rear suspension. Please put me on you contact list when they are ready.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 06-05-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Press bushing? W/ outer shell?
Can likely use same press kit for CA bushings, available thru loaner tools at AZ etc.

Originally posted by mattwa:
I will admit poly is somewhat harsh in an 88 ( but not as bad as a full poly 84-87 rear suspension), however I have not heard one squeak from it yet.

Don't think no noise = bushings are good.
Polly bushing can wear out and never make noise.

any CAs, tailing arms, etc attach to wheel see enough movement that inner sleeve tries to saw thru the polly. Lack of lube and road trash/dirt/etc can make this problem faster than many think.

Silicone Grease lube bushing but also keeps water/dirt out. Many grease outside of polly think noise but no... so water/etc can't get into small voids when meets outer shell and rust out the shell.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What durometer are the new rubber bushings?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock