mini wide body by bjc 350
Started on: 01-12-2013 02:59 PM
Replies: 191 (11144 views)
Last post by: shemdogg on 06-11-2023 09:35 AM
Rick Morehouse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2020 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
STUNNING, ABSOLUTELY STUNNING....
IP: Logged
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap that looks great, the paint makes it a whole different car. That thing looks killer man! I like the color

shem
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2020 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, looks really good! 👍

------------------
88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
84 IMSA wide body SE: 3800 Swap in progress

bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2020 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments guys. Today I finally fitted the exhaust tips. Had to cut some 90 degree elbows out of a perfectly good four cylinder exhaust system that had been removed from my SC car. All the elbows I saw at several auto parts stores were way too long a sweep to get the tips to fit in the confines of the bumper opening. If I had cut them back, they would have been into the curvature of the pipe too much. I could have cut up a decent set of original GT tips to do it, but though someone else may need those some day. Anyway, still need to final weld since the elbows are just tacked, but they do fit. Looks that in the straight on picture, the right side is a bit lower than the left. Be assured it does fit correctly, but I had not tightened the clamp all the way and it dropped just a bit.

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who would have thought we would see these tail lights back in the car. I became so frustrated today, trying to figure out the instructions for the sequencers, that I just decided to install the original lights, for now. I have read everything I can on the Web Electric installations, and I still do not make sense of it. I will be e mailing them tomorrow for some clarification. The more I read, the more confused I get. Could that have anything to do with being 75? I have to install a trailer convert module and the STS-1 modules in order to get the caddy lights to sequence, three per side. This car should have been finished up by now. Oh well, it has taken so long now, a few more days/weeks can't hurt.

Rick Morehouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!! Looks really cool. I dig the Trams Am-ish spoiler. Killer project. Dang man, you ARE(75) old. Hold up, I'll be 75 in 3 weeks myself. Best yrs. are still ahead of us! Enjoy your ride.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got the tail light sequencers up and running and the rear lighting panel installed. Have to thank Web Electric for the help clarifying things for me as I struggled with this wiring. Next time would be straight forward! Anyway, a few pictures. I've not schooled myself on how to post a video here, so please take my word that they work great.

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2020 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A near miracle happened today, it quit raining and warmed up to the high fifties. So, took it as an opportunity to take even more pictures of the nearly completed project. Still have to build a front license plate bracket, figure out what is up with the temp gauge and fuel gauge, get an alignment, and still get rid of a little overspray on the exhaust and lower trunk area, and decide if I can live with that rear wheel gap. It may settle some once driven some miles.

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2020 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bjc 350

952 posts
Member since Oct 2005
Added some fake chrome trim around the upper edges of the lighting panel.

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little more Bling. GT emblem and license frame. Details.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2020 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait till you get it out into the sun and you have more room to show off your angles get some scenic backgrounds now whilst perfect you wont regret it.
PFF
System Bot
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2020 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We just returned from a warm weather vacation, trying to break up our wet and gray Northwest 6 month winter rain fest. Before heading on vacation we attended our local school fundraiser and I won a silent auction for an all wheel alignment. Only problem is the shop is about 45 miles away and will probably drive it there. Not a good start for new tires. Anyway, we returned to sunshine(for one day) so I just had to pull the wide body out for a couple more photos. But, while out in the direct sun for only the third time since paint, it developed a small blister , you guessed it, right on the front facia where we had a problem on the first color coat and had to do a repair. Man, this car has been frustrating at times. After the rant, I will bore you with a few more pics.

Sorry for the last year grape vines getting into this shot.

The finished rear shot, first time taken outside.

In this picture, when I zoom in, I can see the developed blister on the facia about 8 inches left of center in the vertical nose area. Less than ten minutes outside, not a good sign. At this point it was only about 3/8" diameter, but it assuredly will grow with time.
Rick Morehouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2020 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May I repeat: STUNNING, ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! Caddy lights are killer. Light panel surround is spot on. Front turn signals are way too cool. And your mini-wide-body sneaks up on ya. Custom front end is super trick along with the rear spoiler. Damn,,,what a great job. Ride with Pride.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2020 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again for the positive comments, Rick. I finally got the front license bracket made up. Still looks like a mini snow plow, but Oregon requires a front plate. Researched retractable plates, but would not fit into the opening for the grill/intake area. So if I put it under the facia, I would lose over an inch of ground clearance which is only about 5 1/4" at best. Waiting for the weather to break so I can drive it to licensing and alignment. On another note, we got home from a vacation a few weeks ago, and two of my friends arranged for me to be "given" a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire because they could never get it to run. Pretty sure I need another project!?? They had owned since 04 and it hasn't run since 13. Can't believe someone wants to give another person a car. They figured I was the only guy in the car club that would mess with an orphan car made in Germany.

[This message has been edited by bjc 350 (edited 03-04-2020).]

Rick Morehouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, that front tag IS gonna suck, totally disrupt your front end design. Just a FYI: maybe Sema/san(sema action network) is working in your state to change some of those dumb laws, perhaps your club is involved? Only we can protect our hobby/car collections/projects/parts cars. Your build is fantastic. The Crossfire(Mercedes) were neat rides, not many left around either. Could make a good beater. Best of luck.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2020 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A milestone. Yesterday I purchased a 21 day trip permit so I can get this car sorted and take care of the wheel alignment and vin inspection and such. Tonight I actually drove it about two miles round trip to the gas station for a fill up. 10.7 gallons, guess I really needed gas. Unfortunately, the gauge is pegged past full/hard right. That was the first venture out of the driveway , for this car, in just shy of 10 years. Engine ran fine, brakes worked ok. Transmission shift is lazy, but I replaced the TV cable when I installed the replacement engine. May need some fine tuning there. Steering wheel is off center and not sure how it will steer at highway speed. Can't wait for the alignment. Guys at the mini mart/gas station really liked it. The young man pumping gas even knew where the engine was , after being quizzed by another onlooker. Hope there are not too many disappointments before getting this thing finished up. Running out of enthusiasm. And yes, the front plate is ugly as heck. But, that's Oregon.

[This message has been edited by bjc 350 (edited 03-11-2020).]

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made it to DMV today and got title and registration in the works. Temporary registration runs to July. I was able to get the "ROKIT" license plate. But went to the alignment shop and after checking the car once getting it up on the rack, they said they didn't have enough time to align the car today because the car had too little caster on the passenger side. My appointment was a bit late in the day, but I left my phone number so they could call me if they had an early opening. I got there at 3:30 and the bay was empty. Still not enough time , I guess.Suggested I pull the upper suspension arm bolt and adjust it best I can at home, then bring it back. Really, well it would be cheaper for me to do it, but I do not have the means to verify the caster angle. Anyway, a bit disappointed, but will research the procedure and try to do that part myself. Another issue, the trans shifts fine, but there is a substantial droning/moaning going on in the rear. Perhaps a wheel bearing or maybe the differential. Hardly drove the car prior to all the body mods, so was not expecting this issue. I had high hopes of getting it to some car shows this summer, but lots of other projects to do as well as this one.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After some research, I realize the alignment tech was looking at info on his machine that depicted the 84-87 caster alignment methodology. It was not showing the 88 suspension. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this will get done right. I will call or stop in at their shop tomorrow and enlighten them on the differences in suspension. This is a never ending project.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2020 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update. I fixed the rear end noise. Replaced the left rear wheel bearing, no change. Replaced the right rear bearing. Droning is gone. That is the second car I have replaced a good feeling bearing, that was actually causing the noise.
Got the car back to the alignment shop and after about two plus hours , it does drive fine. But with the one inch lowering ball joints and a cut coil, they could not get the caster and camber any where near the green zone. He felt I will have tire wear on the passenger side from too much caster and positive camber. I understand that the area where the upper a arm bolts go through can be slotted outward a bit to get better caster. I may have to do that. I also bought a set of used camber/ caster tools to help hold adjustments. Bought two pair so both sides can be adjusted at the same time. Of course I didn't have them in time for the alignment.

Also found the cruise control does not work. Surprise! So I am replacing the turn stalk first and will verify the switch adjustment at the brake pedal as well. The solenoid at the canister always has power with the key on. Pretty sure it should only show power with stalk switch pushed to the cruise on position. Can anyone verify?

After having the car out in our limited sunshine, I found a second small bubble in the paint, near the radio antenna. Pretty disheartening after all the filling/sanding/cleaning that we went through. My friend, Richard who did the final body and paint work said he will be over to work on it. He has to be really careful during this Covid time, because his immune system is compromised due to the chemo he goes thru to keep his cancer problems at bay. He has been struggling with it going on seven years now.

I have been searching a bit for an LS4 front drive setup, possibly. It seems like this car should have a little more power to go with the Rokit image, though it runs and drives fine with the 2.8. And at my age, it gets harder and harder to drive like I stole it! We will see if that moves forward. Certainly with the current covid environment, I should have lots of time to do the work. Thanks for looking. Stay safe.

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2020 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good sir! check out the sto n show removeable license plate bracket. My buddys machine shop makes em for a retired air force guy who started the company. Sorry to hear about the bubble in the paint, hope its small

shem
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2020 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is better than first thought those wheel look way better on other angles just keep taking pics. That front paint is gleaming.
PFF
System Bot
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2020 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been driving the car a bit more. The turn stalk/switch fixed the cruise control. But, I am getting the dreaded Code 32 EGR check engine light. First stock Fiero I have had a check engine light illuminate. Engine seems to run fine. So will need to deal with that.
Interestingly , the car has settled nearly 3/4 of an inch in the front suspension since the alignment and driving it more miles. Rear has unfortunately stayed the same height. A hair over 4 1/2" is not my idea of fun for the front clearance! I may have to install full height springs to get more front ground clearance. Pretty sure I cut just one coil, as well as 1" lowering ball joints. So, to get correct alignment and a better ride height it looks like disassembly of the front suspension may be in my future. Really just trying to fix the niggly neglected things this summer and perhaps deal with the suspension next winter.
My V8 Fiero is awaiting a Fitech fuel injection, power locks and power windows. The 84 SC car needs to finally have the air conditioning hooked up and charged. Almost done with that. Thanks for looking.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally received the title, registration, and plates form the Covid semi closed DMV. So had to go out in the warm late evening to take a few pictures showing the "ROKIT" plate which sort of refers to the Caddy tail lights and park lights. Well the plate can be seen from the rear in these pics, but not from the front. Front plate really detracts from the look but Oregon requires it. Car is pretty much finished up except to charge the air conditioning. Of course that is until something breaks or goes haywire

Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does Oregon have historic or special interest license plates?

Missouri requires a front tag also but has a provision for "year of manufacture" historic plates. Only a rear tag is required with the "year of manufacture" tags.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Oregon has historical/special interest plates. We have it on my wife's 66 Corvette. But, there are restrictions on how the car can be used. Driving is limited to parades, exhibitions, club activities and similar functions. In the application, it states that there is a traffic infraction if caught using outside of the regulations as well as a cancellation of the special interest registration.
There is only a rear plate used for special interests. It may be an option when this current registration runs out. As I recall, it is a one time fee, as well.
Rick Morehouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick MorehouseSend a Private Message to Rick MorehouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SUPER COOOOOOOOL!
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy New Year . Wishing for a better, more tranquil new year for everyone. Thought I might revive this old thread with a few minor updates to the Rokit.
I raised the front of the car nearly an inch by using spring rubbers between the front coils. It was thought of as temporary because of bottoming of the tire against the fender well during suspension jounce. Well, it works great, and has no detrimental effects, so may become permanent. The car had settled too much after assembly which then created the issue. Also upgraded the interior a little with a new auto shifter handle by Dickman, new shifter boot and a new handbrake boot. Also added some fake carbon fiber/chrome accent to the door sill. Installed a new stereo unit, since I could not get any of my Fiero radio's to work correctly. Last thing on the check list is recharging the AC, and everything should be working. A least for a while. Also tried the Ceramic spray on wax that seems to be the rage on the Crossfire forums. The product I used was made by Turtle Wax. Really easy to use and does actually make the paint shine better with very little effort. Thanks for looking.

Prior to wax and raising front of car. Can't seem to get the current picture to load.

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2022 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the world is still turning, thought I'd update the mini wide body. I added the front and rear trunk covers from RW Upholstery and used, but new looking Rodney Dickman SS vac lines. Engine actually seems to run better with the new vac lines. Maybe a leak? It has been so wet up here in Northwest Oregon so far this spring that the cars have been sequestered in the garage. Weather's gotta break sometime soon. Happy Fieroing!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2022 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Car looks awesome ! 👍🏾

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2022 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, finally took the Rokit "mini wide body" car to a show today. Clatskanie Heritage Days show , about twenty miles away. Weather has been cold so far this early summer. That is until today when it was 90 plus at the show. Had a good time with friends and club members and so on. Most of you know how these shows go. Well I was worried that the heat (i know for some, 90 isn't hot, but in Northwest Oregon that is a really warm day) would cause some blistering on the car since I had the start of blisters sometime ago. Yep, innumerable ones now. That is the bad news. The good news is the car won best 80-89 car at the show. I was real surprised and happy about that until I started thinking about what we are going to do with the paint/bodywork failures. I'll attach a couple pictures of the trophy once the car was back in the cluttered garage. Didn't take a single picture at the show. Too busy telling car stories with friends. Thanks for looking.

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2023 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is not the way I would prefer to update a thread.
I am updating the thread in memory of my longtime friend Richard Dailey, who was instrumental in getting the Mini Wide Body project completed as it was imagined. Richard passed away May 30, at the age of 66, of multiple myeloma cancer. Richard had dealt with the health issue for nearly eleven years before succumbing to it's effects.
If not for Richard, who is pictured in some of the photos during the work process, the car may have never been completed. I remembered him saying one day while working on another Fiero project, "Bryan, we need to get that car finished!" And so we did. His dedication to finishing up the car was much like his dedication to try to survive the cancer, waiting for a cure, after being told he likely had two years to live after the diagnosis. He far exceeded the doctors expectations.
I will try to make sure Richard will be remembered for his huge contribution to the Mini Wide Body and for his love of life. Thank you, Richard for being you.

[This message has been edited by bjc 350 (edited 06-10-2023).]

PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2023 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about your friend but he lives on in the car and those who remember. Congrats on the trophy, well deserved. Car looks stunning!

More pics

shem
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay