Click here to visit the donation page | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  1985 Pontiac Fiero GT price question

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
1985 Pontiac Fiero GT price question by ct
Started on: 01-01-2013 08:47 PM
Replies: 17 (1061 views)
Last post by: ct on 02-22-2013 08:06 PM
ct
Member

Posts: 365
From:
Registered: Aug 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

01-01-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I’ve decided to sell my 1985 Pontiac Fiero GT (automatic transmission, power windows and locks, sunroof), but I don’t want to place an advertisement online or in print because I don’t have the time to field a bunch of phone calls, so I’m calling some of the local places (salvage yards and dealerships) who advertise that they will buy one’s car and seeing if any of them want it (I explain I’m not interested in selling it as a parts car). The owner of one of the salvage yards offered me $450 for it (towing included), and said he was interested in keeping it as a potential classic (I sent him three photos; he did not see the vehicle in person). However, I really need to know how much I should be asking for this car. The mileage is 66,869 (original). It would need to be towed since it has been sitting for several years and the oil pump needs to be primed with a drill before cranking. The interior definitely needs to be heavily detailed because there is some mold/mildew. I have some manuals (e.g., 22P Parts and Illustration Catalog) and a few miscellaneous parts (e.g., new genuine GM battery tray) that I might throw in if the price is right. Low retail according to NADA is $1,753.

I didn’t post it in the Mall section because I don’t know what price to ask for it (and I’ve never sold anything at auction, so I’m really not comfortable listing it on ebay).

Any advice on a ballpark price would be appreciated. I have a few images posted in the following thread: http://www.jeepsunlimited.c...=4777439#post4777439

Thanks in advance.

IP: Logged

ct
Member

Posts: 365
From:
Registered: Aug 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

01-02-2013 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post



IP: Logged

no2pencil
Member

Posts: 891
From: Baltimore, MD
Registered: Oct 2009


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

01-02-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilClick Here to visit no2pencil's HomePageClick Here to Email no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$450? That's an incredibly low-ball offer, imo. Depending on rust, a lot of people on the forum go for $1000 & up.

If you don't have the time to field calls, & you want the best offer, an auction system would be ideal. Once & done. Either eBay or a local auto auction house. They will take a cut, but you'll get more than $450.

IP: Logged

mrfred8
Member

Posts: 1191
From: yorkville il
Registered: Oct 2011


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

01-02-2013 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://www.paulvargyas.com/Price%20Guide.htm

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8 aka (Hat tip to Mr. J. Jones!)
http://jalopnik.com/5901950...or-her-sweet-sixteen
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE

IP: Logged

dobey
Member

Posts: 6605
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 239
Rate this member

01-02-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by no2pencil:
$450? That's an incredibly low-ball offer, imo. Depending on rust, a lot of people on the forum go for $1000 & up.

If you don't have the time to field calls, & you want the best offer, an auction system would be ideal. Once & done. Either eBay or a local auto auction house. They will take a cut, but you'll get more than $450.


Not a low-ball at all. $1000+ for an 85 GT would only be feasible if it was running, taken care of fairly well, and didn't have any major issues. $450 is pretty dead on the money. Maybe a little high or low, depending on things like rust and such. But only high or low in the range of $500 or so being the upper limit.

Sorry, but it's just not worth any more than what the offer was.

IP: Logged

weaselbeak
Member

Posts: 2502
From: se iowa
Registered: Jun 2008


Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

01-02-2013 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakClick Here to Email weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by dobey:


Not a low-ball at all. $1000+ for an 85 GT would only be feasible if it was running, taken care of fairly well, and didn't have any major issues. $450 is pretty dead on the money. Maybe a little high or low, depending on things like rust and such. But only high or low in the range of $500 or so being the upper limit.

Sorry, but it's just not worth any more than what the offer was.



I would say you are too low, but will agree because it's been sitting for several years. That means parts and work, maybe a lot.

IP: Logged

Pete Matos
Member

Posts: 2211
From: Maryville, Tn
Registered: Jan 2010


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

01-02-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by ct:

I’ve decided to sell my 1985 Pontiac Fiero GT (automatic transmission, power windows and locks, sunroof), but I don’t want to place an advertisement online or in print because I don’t have the time to field a bunch of phone calls, so I’m calling some of the local places (salvage yards and dealerships) who advertise that they will buy one’s car and seeing if any of them want it (I explain I’m not interested in selling it as a parts car). The owner of one of the salvage yards offered me $450 for it (towing included), and said he was interested in keeping it as a potential classic (I sent him three photos; he did not see the vehicle in person). However, I really need to know how much I should be asking for this car. The mileage is 66,869 (original). It would need to be towed since it has been sitting for several years and the oil pump needs to be primed with a drill before cranking. The interior definitely needs to be heavily detailed because there is some mold/mildew. I have some manuals (e.g., 22P Parts and Illustration Catalog) and a few miscellaneous parts (e.g., new genuine GM battery tray) that I might throw in if the price is right. Low retail according to NADA is $1,753.

I didn’t post it in the Mall section because I don’t know what price to ask for it (and I’ve never sold anything at auction, so I’m really not comfortable listing it on ebay).

Any advice on a ballpark price would be appreciated. I have a few images posted in the following thread: http://www.jeepsunlimited.c...=4777439#post4777439

Thanks in advance.


Hey man can't see the pictures without registering on the forum there. Post them here and maybe you can get a more accurate description of your cars value. I have an 85GT as well and it is a sweet little car. IMHO a real nice one can go for several thousand dollars but most that I have seen are pretty hammered out and beat on. You might also post your location so that members here who MIGHT be interested in the car could come look at it. With it not running your value goes down substantially as well it should. A little mold inside the car can mean a good scrubbing of the carpet and seats to anywhere short of replacing every damn thing inside the car so that is kinda vague as well. You also mention you do not want to be bothered with calls about it so that ALSO puts your potential value down even lower because anyone who would want to put any kind of better offer out there would have LOTS of questions for you about the condition and would want to come see it in person most likely and probably also want to see lots of specific pictures of the underside and inside and engine bay/ front end area etc.... With the lower miles it has if the car is intact and not rusted completely away like many are it could be worth something but without that specific information and pictures it is far too vague information to give you any sort of idea on value. Good luck with your sale either way...peace

Pete

IP: Logged

dobey
Member

Posts: 6605
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 239
Rate this member

01-03-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by weaselbeak:
I would say you are too low, but will agree because it's been sitting for several years. That means parts and work, maybe a lot.


I can't see the pictures (they're all broken links, and I'm not signing up for another forum that I won't even use, just to look at the pictures), but the description sounds exactly like the 62K mile 85 GT I have sitting in my drive right now, and the offered price mentioned for this one, is about the same as what I paid for mine (delivered to my drive).

IP: Logged

ct
Member

Posts: 365
From:
Registered: Aug 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

01-03-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry for having to link to the Jeep forum. They allow posts to have images actually attached rather than just linking to them. I was not aware registration was required to view that forum. I tried directly linking to the images I attached over there, and they are showing up for me even though I am not logged in to that account. I'm not sure why they are not viewable.

IP: Logged

dobey
Member

Posts: 6605
From:
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 239
Rate this member

01-03-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by ct:

Sorry for having to link to the Jeep forum. They allow posts to have images actually attached rather than just linking to them. I was not aware registration was required to view that forum. I tried directly linking to the images I attached over there, and they are showing up for me even though I am not logged in to that account. I'm not sure why they are not viewable.


Because the forum requires you to log in to view the posts and attachments. Most vBulletin based forums require you to be logged in to view attachments, as well. I think it's the default in the forum software. This is why the images show as broken links here for most everyone. You can probably see them because your browser has the login cookie from your last login to that forum.

IP: Logged

DLCLK87GT
Member

Posts: 2544
From: South Jersey, USA
Registered: Feb 2009


Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

01-03-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$450 sounds about right, maybe a little high for a car that doesn’t run, has been sitting for several years, and the owner doesn't want to field calls/questions. I paid $550 for my Formula that had been sitting for 8 years.
If you’re looking for money then you’ll get the most if you put a little effort into getting it to run and maybe clean up the interior a bit. I’m not saying restore it, just get it so the potential buyer can hear/see it running. “It was running when parked” is a common selling gimmick and the smart buyer will assume the worst, like a blown motor if they can’t hear it run.
Get it running and you could ask 3 - 4 times that depending on overall condition, options and if there’s no rust issue.
If you just want to unload it, take the $450.. but know that it’ll probably end up getting parted out at the their yard no matter what they say.
And the little blue box at the bottom of the page will download a program that will allow you to post the pixs.

IP: Logged

Fierochic88
Member

Posts: 4246
From: Staunton, VA
Registered: May 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

01-03-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Click Here to Email Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If it doesn't need too much work, you might find a Forum member willing to buy it for around that price who would definitely fix it up and either use it or re-sell it. Then you would know for sure if it was getting a good home.

~ Jen

[This message has been edited by Fierochic88 (edited 01-03-2013).]

IP: Logged

mkiker2089
Member

Posts: 115
From: NC
Registered: Nov 2012


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

01-03-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Click Here to Email mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At this point I'd be less concerned about money and more about it finding a good home. I don't trust salvage yards, it'll be parted and crushed no matter what he says now.

It was a great car and its sat till it isn't, find someone who can restore it and let them pay what they think is fair. If it sits much longer it will only get worse.

IP: Logged

ct
Member

Posts: 365
From:
Registered: Aug 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

02-03-2013 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you to everyone for your advice and comments. I ended up selling to CarBuyCo after the $450 offer didn’t pan out; it looks like they’ve put it up for auction, so I’m attaching the link in case any of you are interested (I think you may need a dealer’s license in order to bid, though). Please note that I no longer own the car and am not involved with the auction in any way.
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicl...123089&RowNumber=11#

IP: Logged

ct
Member

Posts: 365
From:
Registered: Aug 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

02-09-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicl...123089&RowNumber=174

IP: Logged

rogergarrison
Member

Posts: 41935
From: An Island off the coast of Belize, sometimes Ohio
Registered: Apr 99


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 523
Rate this member

02-11-2013 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Youll do a lot better here than anywhere. You got a great offer for a junkyard. I took a mint Dodge minivan to one for the heck of it that only needed a head gasket. Still ran and drove fine, but would overheat. It had new tires and brakes, not a scratch or tear anywhere. They offered me $75. A friend offered me $500.

IP: Logged

Toontown Fiero
Member

Posts: 73
From: Saskatoon, Canada
Registered: Aug 2012


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

02-11-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toontown FieroSend a Private Message to Toontown FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

 
quote
Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Youll do a lot better here than anywhere. You got a great offer for a junkyard. I took a mint Dodge minivan to one for the heck of it that only needed a head gasket. Still ran and drove fine, but would overheat. It had new tires and brakes, not a scratch or tear anywhere. They offered me $75. A friend offered me $500.


Wow that must be the international offer from junkyards. It's the same up here too. Junkyards offer $75 if you bring them the car. I've bought a few cars/minivans with bad engines from people that were offered $75 from a junkyard. Most people have no way to get the vehicle there except for a tow truck that costs twice what they'll get for it.
I buy a junkyard engine and swap it out and presto! Cheap wheels to drive for a bit.

IP: Logged

ct
Member

Posts: 365
From:
Registered: Aug 2001


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

02-22-2013 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I dropped the rest of my Fiero-related items (except for a few scale models) off at an on-line consignment shop, and they decided to bundle it into one ebay auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Col...rs-too-/251233251528.

Some of the parts include a 22P Parts and Illustration Catalog (both the original print and the microfiche), a battery tray and support (never used; I had purchased them from a GM dealership years ago to have on hand in case the originals in the car ever needed replacing and reproductions were not yet available), the original radio from the car (the Alpine CDA-D853 I installed went with the car), air cleaner canister lid (I think this was the original one I kept after having purchased a replacement housing and lid), some screws (genuine GM; I think I needed two to install the new air cleaner housing, but the dealer would only sell me a pack of ten), and some trim pieces.

I appreciate all the help this forum has been and wish all of you the best!

IP: Logged


next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock