Started on: 12-28-2012 09:15 PM
Replies: 162 (23965 views)
Last post by: Lurate on 08-17-2016 09:20 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's right, we have started on the build of a 246 Dino Replica on the Fiero chassis.

We are building this car for the same customer we built the Miura for. You can read up on the Miura here //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000003.html

The Customer liked the LS3 6 speed so much that he now wants to build another of his dream cars with a high reving, lower torque LSx engine that he has had custom built.

So this build will be using one of the original Fiero rebody kits which is the 246 Dino originally built by Norm V.

This will be a much easier to build car than the Miura was, but it will be cool & have plenty of engine.

We've been working on this car for a couple of weeks. So, this weekend I'll try to get this up to date.

This is the donor car....

Let's begin

Archie
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Can't wait to see the process...

That Miura was beautiful...
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Growing up there was a neighbor with a red Dino-Fiero Kit. They called his a "ROMA." It is still one of my favorite Fiero kits of all time. It just fit the Fiero frame perfectly, and it's pretty timeless. I look forward to seeing this build. I didn't even realize the Dino kits were available anymore. Too cool!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
alright lets get a build on.........

I was wondering when you were going to update us on the TTop coupe project.

Rob
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 2 weeks ago, we removed the old engine & began fitting the new engine to the cradle & into the car.

We removed the engine & cradle.

The started fitting the engine & new transmission to the engine cradle...

Then fitting it in the car....

More to come.

Archie
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow I have ALWAYS loved the 246 dino GT and did not know they made kits for them out of the fiero. Honestly I would think that the roofline of the fiero would not be right but I am imagining that part will be gone when you are finished. This should be an interesting build and I look forward to watching. I also find it interesting how you are mounting the LSX engines in the cradles. It appears they are rigidly mounted and I would love to see some more pics of the way you mounted them as I am going to be fabbing my own mounts for the 3800 when I get to that point. Do you already have the body in your shop? Thanks for taking the time to post these threads and show all the pictures of your work. This one should be fun. Is the car needing to be stretched for the kit? Peace

Pete

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pete Matos

2291 posts
Member since Jan 2010
Honestly looking at the pictures it seems like it is gonna be a real ***** to change the spark plugs on the engine once it is installed no? Sure is a tight fit front to back it looks like. Does this setup require some custom fabbed axles or can you use some factory GM axles or pieces parts of factory GM axles assembled to work? Peace

Pete

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love your customers taste! Both of those cars are in my top ten of most beautiful designs. Both are passion personafied.

Edit: Posting pics for those that do not know. I will remove them if requested Archie.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 12-29-2012).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see the finished product!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

VF1Skullangel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is going to get good.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2012 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:
Honestly looking at the pictures it seems like it is gonna be a real ***** to change the spark plugs on the engine once it is installed no? Sure is a tight fit front to back it looks like.

The factory installed spark plugs on the LSx engines are low maintenance items, that shouldn't need to be changed until about 100K miles.
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

Let me see if I can answer some of the questions.

Originally posted by carbon:
That Miura was beautiful...

Yeah, I know we're pretty proud of that car.

Thanks.

Originally posted by smartaxel:
Growing up there was a neighbor with a red Dino-Fiero Kit. They called his a "ROMA." It is still one of my favorite Fiero kits of all time. It just fit the Fiero frame perfectly, and it's pretty timeless. I look forward to seeing this build. I didn't even realize the Dino kits were available anymore. Too cool!

Yeah this is the Roma. I think it was once called the Carter Roma. It was one (if not the 1st) Fiero rebody from around 1985 or 1986. Norm Vandermee (Norm's fiberglass) was involved with it from the beginning & has the molds now. I was at Norm's on Wednesday to pick up the last of the body parts & Norm told me the history of who, what & when but I don't recall all of it now.

Wow I have ALWAYS loved the 246 dino GT and did not know they made kits for them out of the fiero. Honestly I would think that the roofline of the fiero would not be right but I am imagining that part will be gone when you are finished. This should be an interesting build and I look forward to watching. I also find it interesting how you are mounting the LSX engines in the cradles. It appears they are rigidly mounted and I would love to see some more pics of the way you mounted them as I am going to be fabbing my own mounts for the 3800 when I get to that point. Do you already have the body in your shop? Thanks for taking the time to post these threads and show all the pictures of your work. This one should be fun. Is the car needing to be stretched for the kit? Peace

Pete

This is a Dino Replica redesigned to fit on a Fiero chassis. It retains the original Fiero roofline.

The wheelbase on the real dino (92.1") was 1.3" shorter than the Fiero (93.4").

As for the mounts, We've installed 35 or more LS engines into Fieros. I've got build threads on 8 or more of those on PFF. I could go look them up & cross post the pics here but them you'd have none of the sense of adventure that you'd get in looking for them yourself.

Honestly looking at the pictures it seems like it is gonna be a real ***** to change the spark plugs on the engine once it is installed no? Sure is a tight fit front to back it looks like. Does this setup require some custom fabbed axles or can you use some factory GM axles or pieces parts of factory GM axles assembled to work? Peace

Pete

As has been said, plug life on LS engines is quite long. As you search my other LS build threads, You'll see that there is plenty of room to get to the plugs. Especially if you look at them from underneath.

Yes we've been making kits to install the G6 6 speeds into Fieros for about 6 or 7 years.

For the transmission swap kits, there are detailed parts lists & prices on my web site but they're a bit hard to find the 1st time.
Let me guide you to them...... Go to this web page http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/Prod3.htm
Then just under the pictures on the left side is the word “Economy” click on it & you get the parts list & prices for the Economy 6 Speed kit.
Just under the pictures on the right side is the word “Master” click on it & you get the parts list & prices for the Master-Build version of the 6 Speed kit.
Read all the material & it will tell you the differences between the 2 versions of the transmission kits.

Thanks

Archie
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for sharing this with us. You do some incredible work at your shop. Very few shops left that would even attempt stuff like this. I am certain that the customer will again be pleased with the new build.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you should dub this car a 618 Dino since the LS3 is ~6.1L 8cyl to go along with the original Dino naming scheme.

For those that don't know the 246 designation came from the 2.4L 6-cylinder that it came with.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the engine fitting done, we pulled the engine & trans. off of the cradle to send the cradle out for Powdercoating. We put an old cradle up under the car so we can work on the body & converting the brake & transmission lines from automatic to stick.

Then we pulled the transmission apart to send the internals out for Cryo.

We pulled the original radiator out...

We removed the headliner & interior parts so that we coud take off the original body.

We also pulled out the steering column.

We then installed a stick shift pedal assembly & the other parts necessary to convert from the automatic to the stick shift transmission.

Then we sit the rear clip on the chassis to see how it fits & looks.

Then a little trial fit of the front clip, we had to cut some metal away to clear the underside of the headlight openings.

You can't really permanetly mount any of the body parts until you've done some test fitting on these parts along with the door panels, hood, decklid & rocker panels..

With almost any body conversion, If you try to mount something like the front or rear clip before looking at the door skins or other parts, you're going to get it in the wrong place & then you get to do it again.

At the time we were at this point, we didn't have the hood or decklid. I picked them up at Norm's Wed. 12-26-12.

Next, we'll look at some of the fitting with the other panesl.

Archie
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you need any advice with it, let me know.

I've been working on mine for quite a while now. My web page needs updating since I'm doing the bodywork now:

http://www.wheeltimesolutions.com/Dineroproject/

Rick
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by couldahadaV8:

I've been working on mine for quite a while now. My web page needs updating since I'm doing the bodywork now:

Rick

That would be handy. I'd like to see how the door panels are attached to the door frames. Norm told me that he used to bond the door panels on. I'd like to bolt the door panels on so that the car can be serviced if something comes up down the road.

I told Norm that & he gave me the look that said, "I told you I bond them on & when you get far enough along you're gonna see why. Then you'll remember this look I'm giving you now." LOL (<~~ he was serious the LOL is mine ). Needless to say that is where we're at now.

So, if you can, open the door & take a picture of the area where the door panel would bolt onto the door frame. Do the same area in the front if you can get a picture of it. Email the pics to Archie@v8archie.com.

Thanks

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 12-29-2012).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like the car but, to me, the hardest thing will be deciding what to do with the rear roof (high spot) and quarter windows..... Maybe another chop-top is coming down the line soon

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 12-30-2012).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

I really like the car but, to me, the hardest thing will be deciding what to do with the rear roof (high spot) and quarter windows..... Maybe another chop-top is coming down the line soon

That is the one spot I don't like either. I know Archie does not like to chop TTops, but if this was a hard top, I'd have to vote for a chop on it. I think the car would look awesome with a chop on it.
If a chop is out of the question, then I'd like to see that area painted black with some tinted windows so it would look more like a window.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 12-30-2012).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If this were my car, I'd definitely have Archie put on a hard top and do a chop. I've had a T-top fiero - 1 per lifetime was enough for me

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 12-30-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rick

I can barely imagine the time. patience. and money. A tip of the hat and then some!

[This message has been edited by weaselbeak (edited 12-30-2012).]

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

I was thinking the same thing but perhaps was feeling a little too polite to point it out. Given the finishing on the Miura I'd think not even a choptop but a full fab, the roofline on the Dino is quite curvy, something the Fiero's most certainly isn't
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On a Google image search for 246 Dino, you really get a lot of different roof & 1/4 windows on these cars....

I think that the 1/4 window area on the Romo was ment to replicate the GTS.

I know that the customer asked about converting to a Targa Top. I wasn't interested in doing a Targa top because it would be impossible to keep the Fiero chassis as strong with the roof cutout. That idea was dropped in favor of a "T" top. It "kinda" looks like a Targa, but more important the chassis keeps it's integrity & allows the extereme engine & suspension he wants to use on this car.

I do know that back in the day the Roma was never described as an exact replica of the Dino. Just like the Mera was never called an exact replica of the 308.

Archie
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

I was thinking the same thing but perhaps was feeling a little too polite to point it out. Given the finishing on the Miura I'd think not even a choptop but a full fab, the roofline on the Dino is quite curvy, something the Fiero's most certainly isn't

I wondered the same thing in my initial comments in the thread but I guess I assumed that the whole roof would be removed in favor of a fiberglass body roof/body. The Dino is quite a curvaceous little beastie and making the considerably more angular Fiero body work with it is kind of a stretch without some serious tweaking. I agree that a chop that left the rear of the roof a Tad lower would help a lot and doing something with the sail panel area would help quite a bit. That is a real tough body to replicate, I remember the Kelmark GT was a total kit car body and that thing still missed the Mark quite a bit either accidentally or intentionally dunno..... its a tough nut to crack I think. Perhaps this is why that Miura project looks so nice the roofline just seems to look very close to the original somehow and this is very important to the overall looks of Tue car. Peace

Pete

[This message has been edited by Pete Matos (edited 12-30-2012).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked up this thread and was thinking of asking about a chop too. Roof looks too high to me, but I have a hard time second guessing Italian styling. Seems a little sacrilegious. I might like it better with a windshield sloped more and a lower top but it definitely would not be a replica anymore. It's been one of my favorite older Ferraris for a long time.
couldahadaV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
That would be handy. I'd like to see how the door panels are attached to the door frames. Norm told me that he used to bond the door panels on. I'd like to bolt the door panels on so that the car can be serviced if something comes up down the road.

So, if you can, open the door & take a picture of the area where the door panel would bolt onto the door frame. Do the same area in the front if you can get a picture of it. Email the pics to Archie@v8archie.com.

Thanks

Archie

I was kind of joking about giving you advice since you have proven that you and your guys are the masters at this kind of work. Having said that...

First, I bought my car with the Dino body installed (and apparently driven for a dozen years or so). The installation job was terrible and/or had deteriorated significantly over the years. Pretty much every panel had damage of some sort. The front clip was held on with 3 wood screws. What I'm getting at is how mine was put together may not have been as per Norms instructions, but it did seem to work. Having said that, my door skins were not bonded on.

I don't see why they have to be bonded on since the Fiero ones aren't. Like yourself, I wanted to be able to remove them should I need to later. I'll send you some pictures I have showing those areas. Maybe my door skins were modified at the front and rear; I don't know but you'll be able to tell comparing them with yours.

I should also mention that I'm not trying to replicate an exact Dino, thus I'm making a lot of small changes. I didn't like the way the outer door releases were done (basically a wire sticking up at the rear top of the door) so I've removed them and put solenoids and poppers. The rear 1/4 window area that people don't seem to like, I didn't either. I've filled in the front 2 vents and am going to add a scoop, like the Porsche 904 had; the last vent does lead to the engine area so it will actually be somewhat functional for ventilation. I didn't like the large one-piece rear decklid so I've cut it into 2 pieces like the Dino (trunk and engine cover).

This is your thread Archie, so I don't want to intrude too much. Just thought I'd give you some things to think about in certain areas of the car.

Rick

LEEEZARD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LEEEZARDSend a Private Message to LEEEZARDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as always... VERY NICE WORK ARCHIE!!!
KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with everyone else this car will not look right without a custom made roof and a different windscreen put in. I also have to ask why you think welding an engine in a car is better than using rubber or polyurethane mounts.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great car to do a replica. Looking forward to seeing how you modify the body and get it closer to original.

Bob
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was kind of joking about giving you advice since you have proven that you and your guys are the masters at this kind of work. Having said that...

First, I bought my car with the Dino body installed (and apparently driven for a dozen years or so). The installation job was terrible and/or had deteriorated significantly over the years. Pretty much every panel had damage of some sort. The front clip was held on with 3 wood screws. What I'm getting at is how mine was put together may not have been as per Norms instructions, but it did seem to work. Having said that, my door skins were not bonded on.

I don't see why they have to be bonded on since the Fiero ones aren't. Like yourself, I wanted to be able to remove them should I need to later. I'll send you some pictures I have showing those areas. Maybe my door skins were modified at the front and rear; I don't know but you'll be able to tell comparing them with yours.

I should also mention that I'm not trying to replicate an exact Dino, thus I'm making a lot of small changes. I didn't like the way the outer door releases were done (basically a wire sticking up at the rear top of the door) so I've removed them and put solenoids and poppers. The rear 1/4 window area that people don't seem to like, I didn't either. I've filled in the front 2 vents and am going to add a scoop, like the Porsche 904 had; the last vent does lead to the engine area so it will actually be somewhat functional for ventilation. I didn't like the large one-piece rear decklid so I've cut it into 2 pieces like the Dino (trunk and engine cover).

This is your thread Archie, so I don't want to intrude too much. Just thought I'd give you some things to think about in certain areas of the car.

Rick

Yeah, i saw your email & sent you back an email.

I'll compare your pics to my parts tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.

P.S. I know what you mean about getting & trying to update a car that has been assembled for a long time. You find all kinds of things that were done weird back in the day.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie;

Looking forward to seeing you and your boys do this up. I suggest you add an extended screen we bought for the 355 kits. I think the extended screen would really finish this build off beautifully.

Thanks
Don
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Roma kit is probably the number one reason I started looking at Fieros. I still have the big Kit Car Buyer's Guide I bought back in about 1986. It features the Roma. I have also seen some convertible examples of the Roma. Although I never compared them directly against an actual 246, I've always found the Romas to be beautiful cars. Once everything is in place, you'll see that the roof does not need to be chopped.

Jonathan
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just found this fascinating story about a Dino on Jalopnik. I never saw the attraction, until I saw this one up close, and heard it. They are sharp.

Tusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TuschSend a Private Message to TuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the hips the Dino has this thing would make a GORGEOUS topless roadster (though with your targa comments I know that's not your vision, just had to say it)

[This message has been edited by Tusch (edited 12-31-2012).]

whereatt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whereattSend a Private Message to whereattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tusch:

With the hips the Dino has this thing would make a GORGEOUS topless roadster (though with your targa comments I know that's not your vision, just had to say it)

http://fierocountry.us/norms-dino.html
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie, I agree that the GTS model is closest to your customers replica body style. This thread made me go to my automotive library, maybe 30 books, and find my copy of Ferrari Dino 206Gt, 246GT abd GTS by Ian Webb. A few things of note while reviewing the book, The cars were notoriously underdeveloped, second gear could not be found when the vehicle was cold, they were sold with no rearview side mirrors, only the interior rearview, they were very unreliable, even having two seperate ignition systems, so when the electronic one failed, the standard points ignition could be switched to as backup. AND, they rusted profusely, some having to be restored within the first 10 years on the road. I'm positive that when the one you and your team are building rolls out of the shop , that it will never have the problems the real thing had. That said, it still does not prevent a person from having always dreamed of owning one!
If you smooth the rear sail where the three vents are, it will look much more like the original. The way the area is raised, it kinda looks like an afterthought. And of course the curved rear window would add some real authenticity and probably a whole lot of money. I will be following this closely and I envy your customer for owning two of my favorite cars. Can't wait!
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now archie....100 pounds of steel and a welder makes a targa well within reach...give me a couple more months...

------------------
87 GT....SBC...fast as hell...
Proud new owner of....THE DIRTY RAT

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this body kit still available? I have a 88 GT that I am making into a daily driver, a kit on it would be cool too.

Rob
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock