Show Reconition Items by Dragon
Started on: 11-04-2012 11:05 PM
Replies: 29 (886 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-11-2013 09:27 AM
Dragon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering about how people thought about recognition at shows.

If afforded a choice, and you had a winning Fiero would you like to get a niced sized ribbon, or a 8 x 10 wall plaque, or a trophy.

Just wondering

Thanks

Frank
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trophies never get old

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project now tearing up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels, suspension and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto,
trophy it is.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wall Plaque.

Nelson
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have plenty of both Wall, free standing Trophies, and one Ribbon w/medal, I'd have to say over-all the Wall Plaque Trophies are better quality (look nicer).

I'd have to say that in my experience too little is being spent on any trophy by organizers of show. You would think in a Popular Hobby where a great deal of money and labor is spent creating something special, where investment yields no financial reward, that there would be better recognition when it comes to rewards. Most Trophies at car shows are worth little more than a meal at McDonald's. Of course that's just my opinion ! I think it would be better for the hobby if larger entrance/spectator fees were charged to improve Trophy quality (if necessary for show to run a little profit).

I actually come away from a show with more pride about my car, due to the spectators comments on my car, than any Trophy awarded to the car. When you couple that with a high quality trophy, it's a rewarding experience over-all.

Question for those reading this thread, Did you or would you give Trophies to a buyer of your car ? I'm of the opinion that they should go with the car.
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think trophies or wall plaques. Though I don't have much shelf space for storing the trophies, so we have been appreciating the plaques more and more.

I would keep the trophies just because when I show I detail and detail and detail.... my cars stand out cause they look like they are trailered at shows but all cars are drivers... I have laid under my car at shows before cleaning the under side. The Firebird is not popular due to my modifications of it, but it wins cause of how I present it. Plus if I sold my cars I could never get my money out that I put in so I might as well have the trophies for the memories. Afterall al my mods were done by me and friends not shops.

Btw the Fiero is not a show car it's still in progress. Don't judge me by it... lol...

But I don't ever plan to sell any of mine. that's why I have 2 garages... one can hold 6 if u turn them on slides and the other can hold 3. .. I think the garages have more square footage then the house... lol

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770
"SE" Stormtrooper Edition
Rescued, resuscitated and reversibly modified! (I'm so not done yet!)

Poly all round & Black Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45 on 18x8 (47 offset w/ 8-9mm spacer) 1.5 coils cut off 1984 WS6 springs
Rear: 265/35 on 18x8.5 (45 offset) Coil-overs w/ 10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Everything is the previous owners fault!

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 11-06-2012).]

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, trophies go with the person who earned them.
But I also don't believe in guys selling their superbowl rings...

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 11-06-2012).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wall Plaque

They are easier to store. Trophys are great, but they take up a lot of space. They are also hard to clean as compared to a wall plaque. I'm at the point now, where a lot of times, I just go as display only because talking to the people and explaining the engineering of the car is reward enough.

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tend to agree with Cali Kid when he says most trophy's are cheaply made. Wall plaques have the added benefit of showing the club artwork.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

I'm at the point now, where a lot of times, I just go as display only because talking to the people and explaining the engineering of the car is reward enough.

Have been doing the same since 2001, with exception to 1 Car Show I entered in 2005 just to see if the car still had it (took Best Of Show). Just more fun to socialize with the crowd, not worry about minuet detailing, spent more time looking at other cars in show, and come/go as you please.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer trophies. They did something kind of different at Fierorama this year, for class winners they had desktop clocks, which I thought was neat.

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8 aka (Hat tip to Mr. J. Jones!)
http://jalopnik.com/5901950...or-her-sweet-sixteen
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE

PFF
System Bot
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not ribbons.
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always liked wall plaques - they are easier to display and easier to dust :-)

~ Jen

------------------
Silver 1988 GT
Cobalt Blue 85 GT 3.4

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well ever been to a rat rod show? You should see the trophies! They're all hand welded engine parts and pinstriping, they nailed it... I realize Fiero trophies would be the same by anymeans but some cool home made fiberglass ones or something would be neat...

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project now tearing up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels, suspension and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would prefer wall plaques ... easier to show and take less space for showcase ... IMHO

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few trophies are okay but they take up too much room. I have given most of my trophies to my grand daughter...much to her mother's chagrin. Wall plaques seem to be more space friendly. But then again I never get tired of bringing either home.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another vote for wall plaque.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neither. Trophies and plaques are so cheesy and always look cheap. Ribbons look classy but are difficult to store. For a show like Daytona I would make a very nice sewn patch to be won. Then you can start collecting them and putting them on an honor jacket or under nice glass enclosure.
Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2012 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel like Bobby Brady "I want a trophy" lol
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-22-2012 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wall ,,,,
trophy's are great if they are not skimped on.. something most clubs'/shows are forced to do..
also lake said above hard to display.. not everyone has the room,, or the understanding wife/girlfriend.
I'll never turn one down.. but it'll end up in a box in the corner untill I get to build the game room in the basement to display all the car stuff,awards/etc
and that project keeps getting pushed back..
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have around 100 Plaques and Trophies that collect dust. Most are the traditional plastic and marble or metal plaque on wood. To be honest they all take up a lot of space.

The only ones that mean much are the ones from the big shows like the Pontiac nationals that take up even more space at 4 foot.

The ones I do treasure are always the ones from the speal wins no matter the size. I also love the ones that I have from a local event where they had Pewter plates cast for the event that can be hung on the wall. Also I have a few engraved glass that look really cool.

The fact is for most people any award is special for the first year but they tend to get lost, broken and trashed. The key is to come up with something original or even artistic that would not look out of place on a fireplace mantle. These are the ones that survive.

Like stated I have seen some made of auto parts or even small vintage 1/18 gas pumps.

I have seen piston rod at John Forces shop in a bin for $5 and you can mount them on a base and even put a small clock in the large end. It just takes some creativity and not much money sometimes to do something special. At work we used to hand out glass ectched glass awards on a wood base. They were very nicely done and were no more expensive than the old cheap looking bowling awards.

Ribbons just go in the trash as do most printed certificates. They get bent folded and faded with time and often are just tossed out.

The one thing we all need to be aware of is awards are a major cost to any event. If the event is a fund raiser for a club or charity we much temper our expectations as they are there to raise funds. Now a large national for profit event needs to deliver ont he awards as some are not cheap to enter. I know a couple shows like this that are on the edge of cheaping out.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 11-22-2012).]

Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the 2014 season
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After my first Fiero got Best US GM Car of the first show I put it in after a 3 year build I felt pretty proud. So the trophy wasnt expensive but it meant a lot when I was competing against high dollar Vettes etc.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer a trophy, but last week I won a wall plaque I really like. It came with a screw in piece for the base so you could stand it up or use the wall hanger to hang it. It is made so that if you look at it at a slight angle, it is 3d. They did a nice job on these and I think is is the nicest award I've won.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what about doing poker chips. Do the award on a poker chip and u can use a simple wall display. then you can also make a nice portable display at shows. Kinda like a ribbon but easier to display.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cash!

Jim
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At frist, trophies were great, but as stated earlier, they do take up room.

These were nice, they do not take up much room, that Chief Pontiac, Leader of Ottawa tribe on top, used on many 50's Pontiac cars.

This was interesting, a Beer stein , Glass w/Pewter top, w/ ribbon, and a tag attached w/ date & class info.

This was the strangest award I've received , a blanket, with 1st place embroidered on it. When they handed to me, I thought,
where the heck I'm I going to display this ? It's been in the back of the closet since bringing home.

I do like the little dash plaques, I have a collecton from each show, I've made a nice display from them in a large photo frame.

I like the 8 x 10 & the 7 x 9 inch plaques the most. (shot in panorama mode on phone)

Each one, no mater how small or big, It's nice to have awards, each one brings up warm memories of the friends met over the years at each show.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

This was the strangest award I've received , a blanket, with 1st place embroidered on it. When they handed to me, I thought,
where the heck I'm I going to display this ? It's been in the back of the closet since bringing home.

The trophy is inside, wrapped up. :-)

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Each one, no mater how small or big, It's nice to have awards, each one brings up warm memories of the friends met over the years at each show.

These are very cool, having artwork in color on them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock