Decisions Decisions. by fierolover87
Started on: 11-04-2012 02:23 AM
Replies: 59 (2037 views)
Last post by: fierolover87 on 02-16-2014 03:08 PM
fierolover87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't owned a Fiero in almost 10 years. Back in 2003 I wrecked my 86 GT only a month after I bought it. I've owned two 84's, the 86 GT, and an '87 SE. I built a reputation of being the "Fiero Nut." My friend even warned my wife before we got married not to let me buy a Fiero. Well, since we've been married (almost 6 years), I've passed up four great opportunities to buy a Fiero in order to get something else. The very last one was an '88 GT with T-tops for $850. The only thing bad about it was it didn't have a title. No big deal though. Instead, I bought a '78 Chevy K10 for the same price, put $3200 into it within three months, then I couldn't afford to keep it anymore, so I sold it for $1500. LOL! I made the mistake of looking at it at night. The guy said there wasn't much rust, but I ended up replacing EVERY panel but the cab and bed sides. Anyway, I've found an '88 GT down in SoCal for $600, with about $200 in travel expense. It's a disaster, but things are different now. We own a home, I make more money, and I don't feel bad taking forever to rebuild this car. On the other hand, I want an AR-15 before election day so that I don't have to pay through the roof to own one if Obama is re-elected. I'm pretty sure I want the car more, but I thought I'd ask you guys. I know you can't tell me what to think, but just to illustrate, I'm not posting this in the AR forum, so obviously I'm just playing the bias of this forum looking for encouragement towards the Fiero. Thanks, Mike.

[This message has been edited by fierolover87 (edited 04-14-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BlownFiero86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A tough decision, I am glad it is you and not me. On that note I bought my AR first but I think I have enjoyed my Fiero more. The good news is I don't think that the current election is going to affect the cost of fieros. Good luck and GO ROMNEY!!!

------------------
86GT, 3800SC, GETRAG, true duals, 3.4 pulley, comp VS cam, zzp match flow injectors, zzp power log, WCF air intake, ARP bolts, comp lifters and push rods, 90# springs, SI stainless valves, aero-force scantech meter.
Here is my build thread //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122548.html

[This message has been edited by BlownFiero86 (edited 11-04-2012).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy the GT, strip it down to the chassis and leave no bolt untouched. Either rebuild your stock 2.8 completely, or start your engine swap. Take your time, and build it into the Fiero you have always wanted. That is the plan for the next one I own. Remember that you are only limited by your own imagination. Good luck!
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure that they are going to ban the sale of Fieros after the election, so you had better buy the car.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post11-04-2012 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you really need an ak?
are you really that bad of a shot that you need that many rounds
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I vote AR.

Jim
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spend 75-250 on the AR lower. You can buy it stripped or complete. The best thing about AR's (and also Fieros I guess) is that they are like legos, and can be upgraded piece by piece as finance permits until one day it is finnally (never) done.
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

do you really need an ak?
are you really that bad of a shot that you need that many rounds

When the zombies attack they don't come by ones or twos.
Now that the kidding is over:
There are several shooting competitions where having a semiauto rifle with a large magazine is required. Can you do that same competition with a single shot? Yes, but you will finish last every time, guaranteed.
The competition not only scores accuracy but also how long it took you to shoot all the targets. Accuracy + speed.
(Oh yeah, one more thing. That's an AR not an AK.)

[This message has been edited by n7vrz (edited 11-04-2012).]

fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Buy the GT, strip it down to the chassis and leave no bolt untouched. Either rebuild your stock 2.8 completely, or start your engine swap. Take your time, and build it into the Fiero you have always wanted. That is the plan for the next one I own. Remember that you are only limited by your own imagination. Good luck!

My plan exactly!

Originally posted by Gall757:

I'm pretty sure that they are going to ban the sale of Fieros after the election, so you had better buy the car.

This is my biggest fear...LOL

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I vote AR.

Jim

Jim, I wouldn't expect anything else from you...you have a 1911 as your avatar! LOL!

Originally posted by CommanderKeen:

Spend 75-250 on the AR lower. You can buy it stripped or complete. The best thing about AR's (and also Fieros I guess) is that they are like legos, and can be upgraded piece by piece as finance permits until one day it is finnally (never) done.

I was thinking about building one. My brother in law has all the tools to assemble one from just parts.

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jim, I wouldn't expect anything else from you...you have a 1911 as your avatar! LOL!

I'm nothing, if not consistent.

Jim
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Obama will try to ban both, our gas guzzling Fiero's and the AR. Save your Fiero money for your new Volt.

Really though, have a great time with your Fiero and report back here.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 11-04-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CommanderKeen:

That's actually a hell of an idea in this situation. Legally the lower is the gun, and will be the only hard-to-get part if the assault weapons ban goes into affect.
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

That's actually a hell of an idea in this situation. Legally the lower is the gun, and will be the only hard-to-get part if the assault weapons ban goes into affect.

Agreed. High Cap magazines too. My brother in law told me they were super expensive last election season. Now they're like $18 for some.
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierolover87

192 posts
Member since Feb 2002
I think the biggest dilemma is that I may have to change my user name to match the year of my car. 12 years ago it was fierolover84, now fierolover87. I've been fierolover87 for 10 years.
BlownFiero86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlownFiero86Send a Private Message to BlownFiero86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierolover87:

I think the biggest dilemma is that I may have to change my user name to match the year of my car. 12 years ago it was fierolover84, now fierolover87. I've been fierolover87 for 10 years.

That is why I am doing an 88 cradle swap into my 86 instead of buying an 88, because didn't want to change my screen name. Lol
I don't think one digit will through everyone off, but I know how hard it is to change your screen name, been debating about it for months on my Xbox account. (fiero related) lol
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
get both--you will need to defend the car when obama loses!
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88FieroGT TTops:

get both--you will need to defend the car when obama loses!

Good idea!
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2012 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for me... Im USAF security forces.. well 3 weeks from now I will be (graduate tech school) we use the M4 I've never used an ar15 but I've heard its the same just no 3 round... I would as they said buy a decent lower and the go buy the fiero... maybe a different fiero?
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to hit 100 posts.
DaveC

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveCSend a Private Message to DaveCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at it this way... Any nut elected to the white house ( and they all are) will not want to ban the sale or purchase of your next Fiero. OTOH, the sale or purchase of firearms will become a hot topic, potentially lead to the destruction of old, used Fieros to build more firearms, out of fear that they will eventually be banned. SO! Buy ALL the Fieros you can afford to, and lock them in your safe...er, uh,...garage, because the next time you see one, it just may have been tuned into a....guess what....AR-15.

[This message has been edited by DaveC (edited 11-06-2012).]

fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got all the money together today, and the guy sold it. Looks like I'm on the lookout again.
PFF
System Bot
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the AR-15 won this time, but I managed to save up enough money to put a deposit on one closer to home. I should have it before Christmas. It's a fully optioned 87 GT that I've been looking at for about 5 years. It's been in the same place at the Las Vegas Fiero Club yard, and I finally decided to buy it. I'm pretty excited.
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 GT looses for a third time...but to a worthy contender. I picked up an 86 GT in a whole lot better condition. It doesn't run, but it's in excellent restorable condition. I won't need to replace the entire interior, and all of the body panels are in excellent condition. It has an auto trans. I don't really care for auto, but I think I may do a 3.4 mated to a 4T60. She looks pretty nice.

[This message has been edited by fierolover87 (edited 12-07-2012).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice....what did you steal that baby for?
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! the car looks good post some interior pictures.
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Looks nice....what did you steal that baby for?

Picked the car up for $850. I was trying to talk the guy lower, but he wouldn't budge. Got him down from $1000 none the less.

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

Congrats! the car looks good post some interior pictures.

I'll have some up tomorrow or the next.
katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hurry up and get it running - that way, on the 21st when the world ends, you can run and gun till you drop!
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2012 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Hurry up and get it running - that way, on the 21st when the world ends, you can run and gun till you drop!

HAHA! Sure thing!
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised:

Taillights have close to no delam, but the driver's side has a 2 inch crack.

Looks like there has been some work done under the hood. The engine has an engraved plenum. A plus for me; I don't have to buy one.

Never had the subwoofer option, so that's nice. Oh, and it's not fully optioned as I thought. No rear defrost.

fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierolover87

192 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Dash pocket of an '88? I've never seen one on previous years. Dash does not have a single crack. Plus for me again.

Leather/Suede seat option. Never seen it in person; it's pretty nice.

Least amout of seat wear I've ever had. I won't be keeping the seat upholstery though, I'm changing the color. One day, I'll clean them, remove them and sell them.

fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierolover87

192 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Normal steering wheel wear. The rest of the interior is repairable, so that's nice.

Looks great, just dirty. I was hoping for a sunroof wind deflector, but I'll just have to find one.

Looks like a remedy for a leaky heater core.
PFF
System Bot
SERGE144

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SERGE144Send a Private Message to SERGE144Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't this a wind deflector highlighted in blue?
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're right. I had to go out and look. When I was posting the pictures, I saw it and thought that it may be, but I was too lazy to go out and check. Thanks! It's in it's proper spot now.

Originally posted by SERGE144:

Isn't this a wind deflector highlighted in blue?

fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2012 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried to crank her over tonight. Didn't go. I'm thinking either a bad starter or maybe engine is seized. I wouldn't doubt the latter. I'll check the starter tomorrow.
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2012 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found this on my windshield when I came home tonight. Car hasn't even been in my driveway for a week! LOL! Must have been because of the rocks I left under the front wheels to keep it from rolling when I jacked the rear end up.

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2012 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah....LOL....call me too if you are interested in selling your cap!
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2012 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems that when people leave notes on your car:

1. They want it (obviously)
2. They think you are not using it or don't want it, but (most importantly)
3. They want to pay NOTHING and have you practically give the car to them.

They figure you either do not know the value of your car OR they
figure you are OBLIGATED to sell it since you are not using it (in their opinion)
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2012 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Yeah....LOL....call me too if you are interested in selling your cap!

LOL!

Originally posted by pdemondo:

It seems that when people leave notes on your car:

1. They want it (obviously)
2. They think you are not using it or don't want it, but (most importantly)
3. They want to pay NOTHING and have you practically give the car to them.

They figure you either do not know the value of your car OR they
figure you are OBLIGATED to sell it since you are not using it (in their opinion)

I totally agree! I've left notes on cars before, but it's because of #2; I see it just sitting there, so I think they have no use for it and just haven't gotten around to selling it. There was an '85 GT in a vacant lot with some other belongings that sat for a few years. I left my number, but one day it was just gone.
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every good build needs a parts car. I've done it before. I had an 84SE with a bad rod knock. I was walking through our new neighborhood, and spotted a very neglected 84SC. It was beaten up very badly. The windshield and sail panels were broken. I expressed my interest to the owner, she told me it ran when it was parked, and I picked it up for $75. It served me well with a badly needed engine and sunroof parts to convert my car. Later on, I pulled the steering column and console skeleton for another project. I know, where am I going with this? The engine on my car is seized. In my browsing of craigslist, I found an 86GT. The ad claimed that the engine and trans were good, and it just needed wheels to roll; all for $250. I figured, what the heck?

This is a picture of what was advertised:

I thought, OK, I'll take my wheels, bolt em on, bring it home, take what I need and sell the rest. So, I ventured on over to take a look. When I got there, I didn't expect to find what I did, but I offered lower, and bought it anyway.

Here's what I got:

Brought it home, and sure enough, it started right up. It has some unique custom seat upholstery which I'll end up cleaning up and selling. Apparently he planned on doing a Lambo kit, and lost interest. His dad was just happy to see it leave. It's not the first time I've brought a piece of crap home to use for parts to make my nice one run.
fierolover87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover87Send a Private Message to fierolover87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I've dropped the cradle out of the parts car. I did it in record time for me. It only took me an hour and a half. Not too shabby.

I used my wife's car to pull it out from under the car since it was too awkward to pull it out physically...plus, I'm not 18 anymore.

I called up the recycling company to find out if they would take the space frame. "As long as it has a title," she said. That was no problem, since the previous owner had a title. The real problem was getting it there. I didn't want to rent a trailer again, so I asked them if they would take it in pieces. "As long as it has a title," she replied. I figured, no problem, I'll just cut it up and put it all in the back of my truck bed. Well, nobody pays much for scrap metal, so I thought, why would I even take it if I was only gonna break even? *BING* I'll just cut it up, put an ad on craigslist in the free section, and put it on the curb piece by piece and someone will take it. Sure enough, someone took the back end of it today while I was at work.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock