Started on: 10-24-2012 07:14 AM
Replies: 48 (3971 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 06-04-2017 11:17 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2017 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

RCR did you need to upgrade the master brake cylinder to account for the larger brake calipers?

I don't have a lot of miles on it, but the brake feel was fine with the stock master cylinder.

Bob
IP: Logged
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2017 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

From the front

Bob

Bob, what is the dimension from the inside of the hat to the inside rotor surface, it looks like it will allow using Rodney's lowering ball joints with minimal "clearancing" of the a arm... and provides a nice caliper upgrade...

Joe
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2017 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Bob, what is the dimension from the inside of the hat to the inside rotor surface, it looks like it will allow using Rodney's lowering ball joints with minimal "clearancing" of the a arm... and provides a nice caliper upgrade...

Joe

Joe, it's a little difficult to measure with the wheel on, but it looks to be about 3/8" at ride height. This was the main advantage of using the Cobra rotor over the Vette.

Bob
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know if the LS1 dual piston front calibers increase the need of an adjustable brake proportioning valve? i.e. does it improve the brake bias or make it worse?

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vampire (edited 03-22-2017).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2017 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

Do you know if the LS1 dual piston front calibers increase the need of an adjustable brake proportioning valve? i.e. does it improve the brake bias or make it worse?

That I can't answer without doing some hard driving. My car isn't ready.
You could try Dkcustom to see if his is running.

Bob
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2017 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, C5 corvette *calipers* are very dimensionally similar to LS1 F body calipers. the biggest difference is in the caliper bracket. I've taken measurements off of the C5 and 4th gen bracket, and determined the C5 bracket mounting bolts are approx 0.355" further from the hub centerline than the 4th gen brackets. I'm currently working on a bracket to use the C5 caliper bracket instead of the F-body part, with RCR's permission, I'll post the finalized bracket design here, since it is a very similar design.

now the big question, why? well, the 4th gen brakes are 12", and the C5 are 13" the pads have a different curvature to match the rotors, and therefore have more pad contact area, and should yield better braking capability. is it enough to make a difference? dunno, but I like little details like this.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2017 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

FWIW, C5 corvette *calipers* are very dimensionally similar to LS1 F body calipers. the biggest difference is in the caliper bracket. I've taken measurements off of the C5 and 4th gen bracket, and determined the C5 bracket mounting bolts are approx 0.355" further from the hub centerline than the 4th gen brackets. I'm currently working on a bracket to use the C5 caliper bracket instead of the F-body part, with RCR's permission, I'll post the finalized bracket design here, since it is a very similar design.

now the big question, why? well, the 4th gen brakes are 12", and the C5 are 13" the pads have a different curvature to match the rotors, and therefore have more pad contact area, and should yield better braking capability. is it enough to make a difference? dunno, but I like little details like this.

Please do.

Bob

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2017 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im interested. As documented I already did RCR's kit, car will be running this summer.

I wouldn't mind doing some tests with the Camaro calipers and the Vette calipers on the same car.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2017 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EDIT this bracket is for C5 rotors, which are about .11 smaller in diameter than the cobra rotor, the large holes will need to be mover out by approximately 0.055"for the cobra rotor, use at own risk.

the 'vette and camaro calipers have the same bore, the difference shouldn't be that noticeable. the advantage would be in the pads having greater contact area.
here are the dimensions.

I'm the lower bolt holes are offset by 0.195 from the upper bolt holes. this offset is required for C5 rotors, the cobra rotor may need a 0 offset, or some other offset, YRMV.

The caliper bracket required some minor trimming to make fit the fiero, in the area inboard of the mounting bolts. the drawing in paint makes it look more severe than it is in real life. this bracket may work on the front, but I haven't tested it yet, and am not in a rush as my car is an 85.

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 06-04-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock