Started on: 09-27-2012 10:57 PM
Replies: 23 (1922 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 02-12-2014 06:56 AM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

WORK IN PROGRESS. Currently, I'm running high quality wheel adapters so I can run these GM 5x115 bolt pattern wheels on the Fiero 5x100mm bolt pattern. The adapters are 20mm thick. But this presented a problem with these particular 8" wide wheels. Right now, the wheels stick out just a little bit from the wheel wells; which has caused some slight rubbing issues up-front when the wheels are turned a certain amount. I've increased the ride height about an inch over where I usually run it, for now, to help with this issue.

REAR: I plan on changing knuckles to some other GM type that uses a larger wheel bearing that already has the 5x115 bolt pattern. I'm currently looking at several aluminum knuckles from various modern GM FWD cars to see if any one of those can be adapted to work. If not, I know the Pontiac 6000 knuckles can be made to work.

FRONT: I've been presented with quite a problem due to the design of the 84-87 front spindle being very small and unique. I've looked into aftermarket replacement trailer hubs (one of which actually used the same part number wheel bearing as the OE Fiero front inner wheel bearing) but I think I've found something better that won't require quite as much modification. The 1999 Lincoln Continental had a front spindle that used a removable wheel hub that had press-in bearings (when you buy a new front wheel bearing for a Lincoln, you get the entire hub assembly with the bearings already installed). The bolt pattern on this car was 5x115 or 5x114.3. Difficult to tell which with the tools I have available to me. I've got a 2000 W-body front wheel hub bearing sitting right next to the one I got from the Lincoln and the bolt pattern measures identically between the two as far as I've been able to determine with the tools I have on hand. The problem with the Lincoln hub is the centric is about 0.010" too large to fit into the GM wheels so I'll need to get it machined down before any test-fitting to a wheel can be done. The centric OD is also larger for the rotor, so I'll probably just run a Lincoln rotor (and GM brake caliper - probably from a W-body if I can). In order to use this Lincoln hub bearing on the Fiero spindle, I'll need to have a custom sleeve turned out on a lathe that will press onto the Fiero spindle that this Lincoln hub bearing will install over (both parts will be retained by the OE Fiero spindle nut).

The Lincoln hub has an ABS reluctor ring on it which might work with my future plans for ABS'ing a Fiero (that's for another topic).

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 09-27-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2012 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look good at least. I would like to change the bolt pattern on mine too so look forward to seeing how you do it.

Ben
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang, that's a nice looking car. I really like the black spoiler. As I've said before, Fieros look great in silver, especially the 87-88 notchbacks.
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the rear uprights, take a look at the Pontiac Transport / Montana minivans, you'll have to change the lower balljoint.

Joe
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having an 84-87 in some ways makes it more difficult, Fieroguru has done the 5x115 conversion on an 88 suspension.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2012 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool project Darth. Celebrity wagon (88ish) will also work in the rear to get you the 5x115 pattern. That's what I've put together, but I want to switch mine to 114.3, though. (more wheel options). I ended up using the entire 88 front, so I can redrill to whatever size I need, but I'm curious as to how you solve the front.

Bob
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2012 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I'm not sure this hub I got came from a Lincoln Continental (like I was told it was). I went over to RockAuto.com and looked it up and they say the Lincoln got a 4.25" wheel lug bolt pattern. I did look up a hub from a 99 Mustang and the pictures they have look very similar (but not exact) to this hub I have. RockAuto.com says the wheel lug bolt pattern for the Mustang is 4.500".

Now, for reference, I looked up hub info for a 2003 Bonneville and RockAuto.com says the lug bolt pattern on that is: 4.527". Will says we can get "wobble" lug nuts that should allow us to run a wheel with a 4.527" bolt circle on a hub that has a 4.500" bolt circle. (0.027" diameter difference)
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2012 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to be clear for anyone following the standard versus the metric....

5x114.3(mm) = 5 x 4.5(")

5x115(mm) = 5x 4.527(")

Bob
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear of the 84-87 is easy with existing hubs, but I'm curious to know what you do on the front. I just found out about the bonne gxp aluminum 5-spoke spare and it would be a great solution to use as a front runner.
FieroWannaBe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DoubleC4 should be working on producing the drop spindles formaly produced by Street Dreams. They offer a combination with the larger camaro/g-body spindle (very common size) and a 1.5" or 2" drop I believe. He should have the prints to produce the corresponding hubs that match the fiero's for the larger spindle, and that should be available in any bolt pattern you seek since its a machined part, and the sort of setup change is easy to achieve on a 5-axis machine.

I see that as a great solution. Stonger hubs, any pattern needed is available, even the oppurtunity to change offset.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

DoubleC4 should be working on producing the drop spindles formaly produced by Street Dreams. They offer a combination with the larger camaro/g-body spindle (very common size) and a 1.5" or 2" drop I believe. He should have the prints to produce the corresponding hubs that match the fiero's for the larger spindle, and that should be available in any bolt pattern you seek since its a machined part, and the sort of setup change is easy to achieve on a 5-axis machine.

I see that as a great solution. Stonger hubs, any pattern needed is available, even the oppurtunity to change offset.

I originally contacted Street Dreams about their kit before they put the parts up for sale on the net. I told them I wanted a "stock ride height" spindle and they didn't seem interested in producing any. If I could get such a spindle and hub setup in a stock ride height configuration, I might be interested. But it seems like everybody only wants to make stuff with drops. I don't need nor do I want to drop the front of my car at this time.
PFF
System Bot
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

I originally contacted Street Dreams about their kit before they put the parts up for sale on the net. I told them I wanted a "stock ride height" spindle and they didn't seem interested in producing any. If I could get such a spindle and hub setup in a stock ride height configuration, I might be interested. But it seems like everybody only wants to make stuff with drops. I don't need nor do I want to drop the front of my car at this time.

Since the parts are under a new owner, maybe he would be more accommodating to a stock height request.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Darth, can you take a 3rd gen camaro front brake rotor/hub and machine the rotor off like we do for brake upgrades, and just redrill the correct pattern? I know that our front hubs have ribs between the bolt holes that wouldn't allow this but maybe those do? I haven't seen the backside of one of those hubs. Also, there are 1970 GM hubs that might be able to be used, both disk brake (short) and drum brake hub (tall) which would be the wrong pattern but probably redrillable. I know the drum brake hubs are flat on the backside.

EDIT: Just found pics of the back of the 3rd gen hubs, they also have the ribs.

Found a drum hub, but can't find pics of the back side. These might be redrillable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/196...UB-NEW-/190731758307

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 10-09-2012).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Darth, can you take a 3rd gen camaro front brake rotor/hub and machine the rotor off like we do for brake upgrades, and just redrill the correct pattern? I know that our front hubs have ribs between the bolt holes that wouldn't allow this but maybe those do? I haven't seen the backside of one of those hubs. Also, there are 1970 GM hubs that might be able to be used, both disk brake (short) and drum brake hub (tall) which would be the wrong pattern but probably redrillable. I know the drum brake hubs are flat on the backside.

EDIT: Just found pics of the back of the 3rd gen hubs, they also have the ribs.

Found a drum hub, but can't find pics of the back side. These might be redrillable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/196...UB-NEW-/190731758307

Bearings are different and the F-body hub/rotor won't directly work with the Fiero spindle without "special" bearings or some kind of sleeve/spacer.

Then there's the spindle nut hub tower - it is much taller on the F-body rotor/hub than Fiero hub and this will cause interferece problems with the wheels I'm running.

But keep the ideas coming. There's got to be more than one way to skin a cat.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 10-09-2012).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can the bearing seat area be milled deeper into the hub (deeper from the wheel mounting face) and then the resulting portion of the hub turned down the required stick out?

I don't really know what the issues are, as I haven't seen either of the parts first hand, just trying to help offer suggestions.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Can the bearing seat area be milled deeper into the hub (deeper from the wheel mounting face) and then the resulting portion of the hub turned down the required stick out?

Good question. I'll need to get my hands on the F-body rotor and look inside to see if there's enough material that will allow for this (and still have a "stop" for the bearing race).

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2012 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks great. Man, I love a clean notchie! You know, it would be fantastic if someone would make a replacement fender that was 20-25mm wider than stock. An exact replacement, just wider.
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look even better in person.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Daily driver)
'09 G37x w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)

Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Darth Fiero , Are you still running those high quality wheel adapters? Did you have luck with them? what brand?
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try running a 15mm adapter up front. 15 is safe I've ran it on my cars. I use adapters by Motorsport Tech out of Sparks Nevada. Great quality and very customizable for any needs. What offset are those wheels? Would be awesome if they were directional.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dre13Style:

Hey Darth Fiero , Are you still running those high quality wheel adapters? Did you have luck with them? what brand?

Yes, I'm still running the adapters for now (still waiting to get some other custom parts made by a guy who is no longer returning my emails so I can upgrade my wheel bearings, hubs, and brakes and eliminate the need for the adapters).

The wheel adapters I'm currently using I got from www.wheeladapter.com and I have a set of these on my car, a set on my Dad's Fiero and also a set on my 96 C2500 pickup truck. Never had a problem with any of them.

-ryan
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked out my build for the solution I came up with on the fiero front bolt pattern? Better to see the pics vs me telling you.

------------------

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought this post was going to be about these Bonneville wheels !

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 02-12-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much do those wheels weigh?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock