Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Picture request: Fieros with "Skitime mod" (clear decklid engine cover)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Picture request: Fieros with "Skitime mod" (clear decklid engine cover) by Austrian Import
Started on: 09-26-2012 11:01 PM
Replies: 18 (1958 views)
Last post by: skitime on 03-22-2015 09:23 PM
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2012 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am wondering how popular this mod is, and how many people have attempted it, and if people cut out different shapes/designs.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*bump*
GBglide

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GBglideClick Here to visit GBglide's HomePageSend a Private Message to GBglideEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think many have done it. Most who want to show off thier engine install a hatchback.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074448.html

The Skitime mod was discussed here.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120231.html

Most have the shape of Skitime's because of the structure of the deck lid underneath, the Plazma did it differently.
https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...4748&style=printable
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For my reference I reposted the best Skitime window pics I could find:

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
For my reference I reposted the best Skitime window pics I could find:

Originally posted by skitime:

OK let me continue with my story. Another modification I did was adding lighting to the engine. I know this is not a performance item but Vonnie and I enjoy going to a lot of cruise-ins all summer. (It does create a shadow free engine trouble light) Many cars have lights to show off their car and I wanted to bring more attention to mine. We find these lights are like a candle to a moth in attracting people over to the car. I had learned about cold cathode tubes from another yet unfinished Fiero modification. (Keeping it under my hat for now). I decided to use this lighting system for the engine. The tubes use low 12-volt power draw and were designed for lighting laptops screens and image scanners. I did not want the lights to be intrusive or very visible when not being used. I experimented with placing lights in a lot of different locations. One of the problems was the light could be visible while driving at night and being seen through the rear view window. I finally decided to recess the lights into the trunk lid itself. I had to make all the pieces for the light fixture including the rear reflectors and lens. It was perfect and the lighting effect is awesome. The only way I can describe it was looking at a engine in an aquarium. This effect is nearly impossible to photograph. The flash will kill the effect but no flash fools the camera. So just believe me it is much better than the pictures can show.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 02-11-2003).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
It may be difficult (I realize it is hard to photoshop "transparent") but could someone attempt photoshopping the glass engine cover being larger? (maybe covering the grill area)

Maybe use a gradient, or a dark tint?

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see how you could possibly make the window larger. SkiTime's cover fit directly into the portion of the decklid that resides between the structural portions of the decklid. If you cut it larger, you would be cutting into the actual pieces that hold the decklid together. Eventually - likely the first or second time you open and close the decklid - it would bow up and completely destroy itself.

SkiTime's window mod is literally the definitive version of the mod - a window over the engine, with a center vent. About the only thing one could do is maybe cut further back towards the taillights, but you wouldn't be able to see much since there's a large structural bar in between where the window and the vent is on SkiTime's mod. Any window gain would be negilable.

I think Antuzzi here on the forum has done a version of the mod on a silver GT he once owned. I remember seeing a pic of it, but I remember it not being as "clean" (no offense on build quality) as SkiTime's was. It had actual bolts securing it to the decklid. SkiTime's is very well thought out with the window-style trim around it to cover how it's secured. There's also another forum member - and he's owned a WHOLE lot of Fieros (like over 150 of them) that has a VERY clean black chop top with the window mod. And now I have completely and utterly forgot his screen handle

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 10-15-2012).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine kept blowing out so I riveted the ****er down. It looked ok but I spent several weeks making it perfect before paint then ended up ditching the idea. I have no clue how skitime got his to stay down above 100mph.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Mine kept blowing out so I riveted the ****er down. It looked ok but I spent several weeks making it perfect before paint then ended up ditching the idea. I have no clue how skitime got his to stay down above 100mph.

Just a thought (and it may not be a coherent one), maybe it is the extra vents Skytimes used on his. They may have let just enough additional air pressure out...

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Antuzzi did you use simple plexi glass or actual tempered glass? Plexi is likely going to be too flimsy to remain in place. IIRC SkiTime had an actual glass shop cut a tempered piece. It can be expensive to have it done, but the glass will weigh enough to stay in place. Local glass shops can cut a piece if you have a template (what the plexi is good for) and it can run around $50-$100 depending on whom you take it to. Expect a few days for turnaround.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lexan. Im also pretty sure skitimes is installed from the bottom and attached from the underside.
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosmigla's chop top:

Bob
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87antuzzi, it looks like yours is bigger than Skitime's. What did you do with the bar that crosses the window?

for others: I thought about leaving the bar in place under the window, and putting a tint with a gradient on the glass above it if necesary, or replacing it with a thinner bar that does the same thing.

Similar to this in concept, but the bracing would be part of the decklid, and probably not a full X-brace. If Lambo can do it in a tasteful manner, then it should work on a Fiero.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Lexan itself can't be that bad to use, it's what Lamborghini uses for their premium version:

Tecnocraft Gallardo Ultralight Shatter Resistant Lexan

I see threads of some people upgrading factory Gallardo decklid glass to Lexan to either save weight, or because glass shatters if you wash your car when the engine is still hot.
Shattered Gallardo deck lid glass
^Great HowTo

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This concept was covered in my history thread. Reading this thread I saw some mistakes by some. I had learned a lot about auto glass when I created the removable rear window. The glass panel was installed from the top not the bottom. I think I covered much of this in the history tread but I did go through several development stages as shown on the above pictures which was shown in the above pictures. I first tried lexan. I was very disappointed by how easily it scratched from even careful washing. Then I tried a product that has real glass covering the lexan. It solved the scratching problem but is was extremely heat sensitive and would warp too much. Then I tried a rubber gasket with the glass covered lexan. That solved the warping problem but the appearance was objectionable to me. I finally found a old timer glass guy by chance at a restaurant. When I found out what his trade was, I had a million questions. He solved the problem. He had a technique to create tempered glass that could be curved. The Fiero trunk lid is not flat. It curves about a 1/4 inch from center to side. He created the piece for me that is on the car to this day. It is only glued to the painted surface. Hope this helps.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2012 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it does help quite a bit. Could you go into more detail though? Do you still have the contact info for that guy?

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*bump*

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 02-04-2013).]

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Yes, it does help quite a bit. Could you go into more detail though? Do you still have the contact info for that guy?

No I do not have contact info from that guy. I used windshield adhesive to adhere the glass to the trunk lid.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock