Plasti Dipped Stock Rims by Burly1
Started on: 09-04-2012 10:02 PM
Replies: 81 (2804 views)
Last post by: carbon on 06-04-2014 09:54 AM
Burly1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burly1Send a Private Message to Burly1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally purchased some Plasti Dip for my car. I sprayed the rims on my 88 coupe. I also painted and installed a GT spoiler on my car.
Pictures to come as soon as I figure out how to post.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cool. did you do the entire wheel? or just the spokes? did you do the wing plasti-dipped too?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2012 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Burly1:

Pictures to come as soon as I figure out how to post.

PIP
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUUUUUUUUUUUUMP!
Burly1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Burly1Send a Private Message to Burly1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help on how to post pictures. I will have to upload them later today, I have to go to school right now sadly.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2012 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Burly1:

... I have to go to school right now sadly.

Let me rephrase that for ya... I have to go to school THANKFULLY.

Tony
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amen to that Tony!!!!!!!!!
Burly1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burly1Send a Private Message to Burly1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha nice correction Tony.
Burly1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burly1Send a Private Message to Burly1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Burly1

38 posts
Member since Apr 2012
Here are some pictures

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2012 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think Plasti Dip rocks. A local member here is doing his car soon I can't wait to see it.

Tony

. Oh yeah I'm partial. Everyone deserves a free education.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay...now its time to correct Tony...no education is free. Someone has to pay for it. Who loves ya!!!!!!
PFF
System Bot
Burly1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Burly1Send a Private Message to Burly1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its an inexpensive and easy way to change the way your car looks completely.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Okay...now its time to correct Tony...no education is free. Someone has to pay for it. Who loves ya!!!!!!

You do baby. You do. (And you are so correct.....in correcting me.

Tony
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2012 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the link to what you can use it on?
Does it adhere very well to say a chrome bumper?

I'm really impressed with what you guys are accomplishing with this stuff!!!

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 09-05-2012).]

bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check this sight for any questions

www.dipyourcar.com
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks man!
Chrome bumpers are good to go
Super Duty Critter

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked into doing my whole car in Plastidip. But I realized it was only going to hold up for a year or so on a daily driver so I backed off. I'm prepping the car for new paint now. Just in case I'm the guy being referred to above.
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My buddy did his vw 3 years ago. Still holding up great. The entire car.
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was told in the dipyourcar forums that if it wasn't a garage kept car about a year was all you could expect. Go figure.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the long term prognosis on the paint? I would think it would get all chipped up and then what?
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm on 12 years with a good repaint on one of my cars. Like anything, it depends on how well you maintain it.
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Super Duty Critter:

I'm on 12 years with a good repaint on one of my cars. Like anything, it depends on how well you maintain it.

That's promising.
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2012 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread. Back to Platidipping...

My boss bought a Chevy Volt. He hated all the chrome on the grill so he blacked out the stuff he wanted with Plasti-dip and it looks great. A kid in our car club did his late model GTO wheels much like our OP did. They were very nice as well.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys! I just dipped my rims! I guarantee they haven't been cleaned since the car was new. Inside, there was about a QUARTER INCH of brake dust caked on!!! After scraping that off, I spent 2 hours on EACH rims scrubbing them with a toothbrush to get all the crap off of it. They were almost clean enough and beautiful looking that I reconsidered dipping them. Oh well, I like black wheels better. Here's the dirty, cleaned, and dipped pictures of my '87 GT rims! Pictures absolutely do not even compare to how dirty the rims looked originally in person. Omg they were disgusting.

[This message has been edited by huracan2015 (edited 05-05-2014).]

msrservices

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by huracan2015:

Hi guys! I just dipped my rims! I guarantee they haven't been cleaned since the car was new. Inside, there was about a QUARTER INCH of brake dust caked on!!! After scraping that off, I spent 2 hours on EACH rims scrubbing them with a toothbrush to get all the crap off of it. They were almost clean enough and beautiful looking that I reconsidered dipping them. Oh well, I like black wheels better. Here's the dirty, cleaned, and dipped pictures of my '87 GT rims! Pictures absolutely do not even compare to how dirty the rims looked originally in person. Omg they were disgusting.

I like it. That's the matte black finish?

What happens when you get new tires? (I see you painted the balancing weight in place.)

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plastidip is an amazing thing.

I did an entire Dodge Charger, went from blue to orange, you can check it out here.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually plasti dipped the wheels on my 96 Sonoma last summer, and then later had 2 new tires put on, surprisingly there wasnt much carnage to the surface, there is one spot where they knicked it a little but not that noticable. These were the factory aluminum with clear coating and they were corroding and the coating chipping so when I matte blacked them out it helped the look alot, the truck is factory paint but black as well.

They went all winter and still look good.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-05-2014).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msrservices:

What happens when you get new tires? (I see you painted the balancing weight in place.)

Not an issue, the stuff peels off. You buy another can and redo the wheel...
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carbon

4767 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

I did an entire Dodge Charger, went from blue to orange, you can check it out here.

Nice!
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

How much in plastidip did it cost roughly? And how was it applied? How many cans, etc?

Looks BA BTW! Nice work!!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

How much in plastidip did it cost roughly? And how was it applied? How many cans, etc?

Looks BA BTW! Nice work!!

He probably sprayed that with a gun.
When I did (4) 15 inch wheels it took less than 1 can of black, black covers best, I did 2 coats.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its rubbery so it dont chip. You can cut it though. I know lots of people who have chrome or polished aluminim wheels and plastic dip them for the winter so they can drive the car. Then in the spring, they just peel it off. The guy next door does whole cars. He sprays it with an electric spray gun (Wagner ?) and puts on more than 2-3 coats. 2 tones you cant just mask and pull off, you have to take a razor blade and cut on the line to keep it from peeling back. You can use a coin op car wash if you dont go crazy on it. He has a couple of cars thats been done 2 years. He sells it by spray can or gallon cans. There is also glossy or satin clear...thats what they usually use on chrome or alloy.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive been practicing on a motorcycle helmet with the blaze bkue in a can. Its coming out splotchy so far ao im probably doing it wrong. But nice thing is I can peel and try again. I take it multiple light coats from 6+ inches away is the proper way to spray?
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

Ive been practicing on a motorcycle helmet with the blaze bkue in a can. Its coming out splotchy so far ao im probably doing it wrong. But nice thing is I can peel and try again. I take it multiple light coats from 6+ inches away is the proper way to spray?

If you get a second snap and post some pics please and post them?

I wonder how the red looks on rims. How about white? Maybe white would show dirt really bad? But wouldn't it be easy to clean up?

$74 a gallon on Ebay?! Gah!!
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

weloveour86se

4289 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by 2.5:

He probably sprayed that with a gun.
When I did (4) 15 inch wheels it took less than 1 can of black, black covers best, I did 2 coats.

What size can did you use? Kinda gun? I so want to try this!

Sorry I forgot how to do the multi quote thing...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

What size can did you use? Kinda gun? I so want to try this!

Sorry I forgot how to do the multi quote thing...

I used spray cans. Lowes has a few colors for $5.98 per can. The cans are 11 oz.
http://www.lowes.com/Search...rue&Ntt=plasti+dip#!
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's some pics of the helmet and the back of an old license plate I was practicing on. The one spot where you're seeing silver on the license plate is where I peeled a little back to see how it comes off.

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many cans did it take to do the set of wheels?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

How many cans did it take to do the set of wheels?

For me, 1 can for 2 coats.
15inch wheels but they weren't Fiero wheels.

*edit, it is recommended later in this thread: "When plastidipping, use one can per wheel or else it will be a nightmare to get off"

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-08-2014).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I used spray cans. Lowes has a few colors for $5.98 per can. The cans are 11 oz.
http://www.lowes.com/Search...rue&Ntt=plasti+dip#!

TY 2.5! Spray cans seems like a good way to go with rims and such.

I wonder how the red and or white looks? Anyone try those colors yet? I have yet to see a decent pic of parts in those colors. Would the white hold up at all on rims??
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock