Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone ever PlastiDip their Fiero (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone ever PlastiDip their Fiero by Super Duty Critter
Started on: 08-13-2012 04:17 PM
Replies: 55 (3590 views)
Last post by: Tom Slick on 09-07-2013 10:52 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does Plasti-Dip differ from Flex Seal?

------------------
Jonathan

Please join me in prayer that forum member Wichita gives his life to the Lord Jesus.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/100383.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html

IP: Logged

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

How does Plasti-Dip differ from Flex Seal?

Its alot cheaper

I dont know.. flex seal isnt meant to have a nice finish, just stop low pressure leaks, not sure how it does with UV rays either. I think its more along the lines uf rubberized undercoating.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Sure, it's unique, cool color options, easy to apply and remove, and cheap.

You must remember though that it's not paint. You can't sand down a mistake, so you either live with it or peel and respray. It's hard to keep clean, but handles car washes. It is sensitive to scuffing, won't damage it but it leaves marks. I found that you can use certain spray waxes on it, and that helps a lot.

Prep is easy if your surface is smooth, mine wasn't. I had to sand off the peeling clear. Most people just wash, wipe down with wax remover and spray.

One final thought, fieros have a lot of recessed pockets and gaps. Those suck no matter what you're spraying on. :-)

As far as keeping it clean, and scuffing. Could a guy spray plastidip, let it cure, then spray clear coat paint over it? I mean the paint would only be stuck to teh dip, so it would peel off with it, even if in flakes.
aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The spray waxes make it easier to clean (doesn't stain) and keep the finish from scuffing as easily.

They make a clear (both satin and glossy) but it's not recommended to clear coat automotive paint over it as it makes it a PITA to remove later if you want to. The glossy isn't like auto paint glossy.. looks more like frozen water on a car for those of you up north like me.

http://www.dipyourcar.com/f...p?13328-Newbie-FAQ-s

If it didn't lay well when you sprayed it, I'm guessing you used the can? If the can isn't warm, and/or if it's really hot out when you spray, it's hard to get the texture right.

They say to dust on the first coat, wait 15 mins, then lay a second / third coat on heavier.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003
I used the earlex 3500 sprayer that came with this kit:

Pro Car Kit - 3 Gallon

It looks like you can order the colors in either gloss or matte.

------------------

fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Following this for sure.

Mike P.
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dipyourcar.com has the best selection of stuff to select from. To answer a couple questions that seem to arise in one form or another....

1) cleaning - you can pressure wash it just fine, so long as there's no exposed edges to catch to start the peeling process. Also the use of their glossifier will greatly aid in attempts to keep it clean (also pearlizer)

2) adhesion - if you buy a pro car kit, be sure to buy the advanced version, the extra little cost sucks, but the pre-dip spray is a great product and will greatly help with adhesion

3) colors - not only can you order basic color options that they have, but you can also order a tinting set that will give you a more personal color

4) I've seen people in the past complain about how easily plastidip gets dirty. If this concerns you, and you don't want a glossy finish... consider the pearlizer. It will give a big smooth finish that doesn't give the textured feel and will aid in stuff not sticking to it so easily

I don't wanna sound like someone trying to sell their products, but me and a few friends have used the stuff on 9 vehicles now i think. We've never had a problem with washing or peeling unless it was done by our own error.

A couple simple tips.

1) when masking off, wait until you spray your last coat and peel your tape off while the dip is still wet. When you spray plastidip over previous plastidip (like when adding coats) it will liquefy all the coats beneath it. So that is the perfect time to peel your tape for a nice straight edge

2) wash your car the day before you plan to dip. This is to allow adequate time for the car to dry, you'd be surprised how much water is in crevices that go unnoticed until you start spraying

3) aim for a 50% transparency per coat. Don't spray too much at a time to avoid runs, and too little is just wasting time. 5 coats, if using the car kits sprayed should be plenty sufficient. Not including the coats of gloss, pearl, or metallizer you choose to add.

4) after your 3rd coat, adjust the output of the supplied sprayer and hit all the hard to hit spots. Example.... door edges, under handles, corners, and... fiero specific, around th
e headlight doors

Thats all I can really add off the top of my head. You can find a ton of useful resource videos on YouTube by searching for dipyourcar.com, as well as links to those view on their website. I can answer questions on the process as well. Car #10 will be my GT

~James
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guy next door does about a car a week with it. I dont see any of them peeling even after several months. He buys it in gallon cans and sprays it with a spray gun. One thing I see it awesome for is clearcoating wheels for winter. Apparently its not great for 2 toneing. He has to razorblade cut on the tape lines to get a clean break. It seems to work on glossy good paint as well. He did a brand new Camaro a few weeks ago in matt black along with its wheels. I think he charges about $300 a car.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turned out really nice!

Don't you hate how everybody wants to touch it?
------------------

[This message has been edited by aaronkoch (edited 09-07-2013).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aaronkoch

1643 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Turned out really nice!

Don't you have how everybody wants to touch it?

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on it now

doing pearl white, started with 2 gallons of gunmetal grey, I'm about half way through my 2nd gallon of white and it still isn't completely covered. I have 4 gallons of white, and after that I'll do a pearl top coat.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Turned out really nice!

Don't you hate how everybody wants to touch it?

i'm not 100% happy with it but since is was my first full car dip i'll chalk it up to a learning experience.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tom Slick

4342 posts
Member since May 2003

Originally posted by Formula:

Working on it now

doing pearl white, started with 2 gallons of gunmetal grey, I'm about half way through my 2nd gallon of white and it still isn't completely covered. I have 4 gallons of white, and after that I'll do a pearl top coat.

can't wait to see the finish product.

I want to do a red pearl on mine next.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

i'm not 100% happy with it but since is was my first full car dip i'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

When we do mine we will make it just right....
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

When we do mine we will make it just right....

yes it will...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock