Started on: 07-23-2012 09:22 AM
Replies: 41 (1525 views)
Last post by: Z3SpdDmn on 07-11-2014 07:01 PM
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm fixing to replace my brake pads here soon, and would like to see or know what the best pad out there is to go with? Typically in the past, I have went with a stock pad from Advance Auto like a Wagner if I recall. I have the 12" vette rotor upgrade, stainless lines, and the bigger brake booster because of lower vacuum. I also run front 88 calipers on front and back since I do not have an e-brake. Kind of funny to even ask but it's been so long since I've done the replacement on these because the car is not driven too much that I do not even remember if I run just a regular setup for the pads (front and back kit or do you have to run all front pads since I'm running front calipers on all 4 corners?

Anyways, let me know on the pads, I've read the EBC green ones, the Wagner Thermo Quiets, and also the Porterfield R4S (I believe).

Thanks,
Amir

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am running the Porterfields on my 12" swap on my Formula... they stop great.

Dusty, dusty, dusty mo-fo's.... but they do stop good.

My formula is my DD, so the dust build up fast. My next set of pads will be some low dusting ceramic matrix flavor.

If your car is just a weekend warrior or the occasional run about... and is easy to keep clean, then the Porterfields will be fine.

In the Auto-X world, they are actually preferred over most other pads. Pricey too... I think I paid about $220 for 2 pair.
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

I am running the Porterfields on my 12" swap on my Formula... they stop great.

Dusty, dusty, dusty mo-fo's.... but they do stop good.

My formula is my DD, so the dust build up fast. My next set of pads will be some low dusting ceramic matrix flavor.

If your car is just a weekend warrior or the occasional run about... and is easy to keep clean, then the Porterfields will be fine.

In the Auto-X world, they are actually preferred over most other pads. Pricey too... I think I paid about $220 for 2 pair.

Hey buddy! I think I saw the Porterfields as like $79.99 for the set. I think those were the R4-S ones if I recall from the website. Those are probably the ones you have? Also, is there any special break-in procedure with these?
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yellowstuff

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto to the Porterfields. Running 12" Corvette Rotors, Teflon braided lines, plenty of stopping power. Check their site on break-in, at the time I was more concerned about breaking in new rotors, which they gave me advise.
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

yellowstuff

Will the Yellow's fit an 88?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:
Will the Yellow's fit an 88?

Yes. EBC Yellowstuff DP4325R

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/121696.html#p16

------------------
11.54@132.7

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. EBC Yellowstuff DP4325R

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/121696.html#p16

Thanks man!

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rare87GT

5044 posts
Member since Oct 2001
They don't show these as being a fitment for an 88 Fiero even though yours work, just making sure they don't sell me the wrong part # here.

DP4325R?
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the only reason they "don't fit" is because they don't come with the right dowel pins.... so you have to reuse the old ones
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I think the only reason they "don't fit" is because they don't come with the right dowel pins.... so you have to reuse the old ones

Ok, just making sure before I hit the buy button. I can return them, but I figured you or Justin would know. Thanks dude.
PFF
System Bot
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2012 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered the Yellow ones today. Will report back how they work when I get them. Justin, did you do any special break in? And do I re-use the pins from my original pads on these since DH said they are missing the pins?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2012 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I reused the pins that were already on my car. The pads come with directions for the break in period. Make sure you get your rotors turned also.

------------------
11.54@132.7

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2012 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My experience, Porterfield , EBC
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2012 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

My experience, Porterfield , EBC

Which one's were you running, and what didn't you like about them ?

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2012 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Porterfields on my 88 Fiero. I love them but they are very dusty!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

Which one's were you running, and what didn't you like about them ?

R4S. Cheapest Autozone stopped better. Worst $160 spent. My experience. If you like them then fine.
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yellowstuff is more for racing applications. EBC makes a Redstuff pad that's a direct fit for the Fiero as well. EBC's website clearly says that the Yellowstuff pads are NOT low dust pads and they recommend Redstuff for more of a street application. Just my $.02.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Yellowstuff is more for racing applications. EBC makes a Redstuff pad that's a direct fit for the Fiero as well. EBC's website clearly says that the Yellowstuff pads are NOT low dust pads and they recommend Redstuff for more of a street application. Just my $.02.

I didn't know you used EBC brake pads.

------------------
11.54@132.7

mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't know you used EBC brake pads.

Why would you? I had them on my GSR, have them on my Del Sol, and yes I have them on my Fiero. I also have EBC 12" Corvette rotors on my Fiero. Now I haven't exactly had a chance to put them to the test on that car yet, but I will soon
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

Why would you? I had them on my GSR, have them on my Del Sol, and yes I have them on my Fiero. I also have EBC 12" Corvette rotors on my Fiero. Now I haven't exactly had a chance to put them to the test on that car yet, but I will soon

Have you had different levels of pads on the same car to compare against? I'm wondering if there is a real world difference or not. I just went straight to the top of the line street pad.

------------------
11.54@132.7

PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you had different levels of pads on the same car to compare against? I'm wondering if there is a real world difference or not. I just went straight to the top of the line street pad.

No, I've only used the Greenstuff and the Redstuff pads on my cars. I emailed back and forth with EBC to ask about the different levels. I was told the Yellowstuff pads produced quite a bit more brake dust than the others, but it was made more for racing applications than for every day driving. Your car is more for racing than mine (I'm not sure if yours is a daily driver or not) so it would make more sense, but I have more regular driving in mind. Just my experience with everything. I love the pads I've had, they wear really well and all of my cars have stopped on a dime. I'll really know when I get the Fiero back. The Redstuff pads, Ultimax 12" rotors, and S-10 brake booster should have this car stopping fairly decently.
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever used or heard of Silverline brake pads?
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2012 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Justin, Yellows or Reds? LOL. I got the yellows in today, but I'm in a toss up now since I do like to drive this car a lot on the street. What's your thoughts on the cold grip on these pads? I haven't opened the box yet, and might just swap them out for Red's if that's what I need.

Let me know as it seems there isn't very many members or anyone that will speak up that have used the Yellows or Red's.

After reading what mptighe wrote, I just wanted to be sure I don't have some full race pad that will only work when they are hot as I drive this car and cruise it around town more than I hit the track usually, but I still drive it hard.

[This message has been edited by Rare87GT (edited 08-01-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2012 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yellowstuff cold bite is still 2x as good as cold bite on stock pads.

EBC Yellowstuff KEVLAR® pads are the perfect pads for your daily driven race car or ultra-friction truck upgrade. They are made from a full race material and are capable of high-temperature use with a very good wear life. Their "bite" from cold is superb, which is uncommon with race materials, which normally require warming-up, making these pads safe for use on the highway as well as on the race track. EBC makes increased stopping power available for your performance race machine and your demanding truck or SUV. These are not "low-dust" pads, but are similar to or better than OE pads.

Just put them on.

------------------
11.54@132.7

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2012 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yellowstuff cold bite is still 2x as good as cold bite on stock pads.

Just put them on.

I tried to order a full set for the car and I only got a set of 2. So now I'm waiting to get the other. EBC has them on back order. Hopefully it's not too long of a wait. They will be going on as soon as I get the other pair.

eunospeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rare.... Did you ever install those EBC pads? It's been a while but I'd like to get an update.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any legitimate concern when running super agressive pads that it will wear or heat excessively on the rotors?
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Is there any legitimate concern when running super agressive pads that it will wear or heat excessively on the rotors?

The only thing that will create more heat is braking more. Converting kinetic energy to heat through friction.

An "aggressive" pad, such as a racing pad, is designed to work at a higher operating temperature. So, while they will work at a higher temperature, after your stock pads give up, they also don't work well at lower temperatures, such as ambient. They may wear your rotors a little more rapidly at those lower temperatures, or if you use them for racing.

I'm looking at options for replacing the stock pads on my stock '88 GT brakes. I'm hearing Porterfield RS4 and EBC's as options. I'm not touching EBC's, as I've seen nothing but crap from them in track applications. I think the Yellowstuff is their track pad. I'm just looking for a not-terrible street pad that's low on dust. The Fiero Store sells "Carbomet" pads. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

------------------
Anthony

'88 Fiero GT 5-spd "barn find"
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion
www.DriveFasterNow.com

[This message has been edited by Z3SpdDmn (edited 07-10-2014).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Z3SpdDmn:

The Fiero Store sells "Carbomet" pads. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend them, they require too much heat to be real effective for street driving, they don't well at all when cold. Secondly, they produce a lot of black dust that body panels tend to act like a magnet for. I switched from Carbomet to Porterfield a long time ago, difference was very remarkable in both areas I mentioned. The Porterfields dust out about half as much, and it's more gray in color.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

I switched from Carbomet to Porterfield a long time ago, difference was very remarkable in both areas I mentioned.
The Porterfields dust out about half as much, and it's more gray in color.

Agreed. I have Porterfields on my Indy. Great stopping power for "stock" brake system.
Corbomets were terribly dusty - hated them. Porterfields seem clean by comparison.

Ceramics and Kevlars for 88's http://www.brakeworld.com/P...IAC-FIERO-brake-Pads

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-02-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had nothing but good luck with my EBC Yellowstuff pads. They work flawlessly in any climate. Of course I don't run my car on a road course, but at the track, etc they work awesome at high speed stops.

I highly recommend them and the brake dust is not horrible either.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

I have had nothing but good luck with my EBC Yellowstuff pads. They work flawlessly in any climate. Of course I don't run my car on a road course, but at the track, etc they work awesome at high speed stops.

I highly recommend them and the brake dust is not horrible either.

------------------
10.91@133.1

lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two years ago I put EBC green stuff pads on the back of my 88 because the AC Delco Durastop pads made a lot of noise until they heated up. The only reason I bought the EBC was because they were the only pads I could find for an 88 that were not semi-metallic. The EBC pads seem to work well and are quiet, but they produce a lot of dust.

@Fierosound, thanks for that link to brakeworld. I am interested in those Kevlar pads, but am a wee bit suspicious of the description (titanium covered Kevlar strands? Really???). Kevlar brake pads were widely available in the 80's and I used them throughout the 80s and was always happy with the braking performance and reduced dust output of those pads no matter what car I used them on.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only use stock replacement pads and shoes on all my cars for the street. Ive never had a car I couldnt get 100K out of them on. I recently sold my 04 Sebring with 105K and it had the original tires and brakes that were on it new. Still plenty of pad and tread left too.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I only use stock replacement pads and shoes on all my cars for the street. Ive never had a car I couldnt get 100K out of them on. I recently sold my 04 Sebring with 105K and it had the original tires and brakes that were on it new. Still plenty of pad and tread left too.

lol not this again...

------------------
10.91@133.1

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Agreed. I have Porterfields on my Indy. Great stopping power for "stock" brake system.
Corbomets were terribly dusty - hated them. Porterfields seem clean by comparison.

Does anyone know where I can buy the Porterfields?

Thanks

------------------
Anthony

'88 Fiero GT 5-spd "barn find"
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion
www.DriveFasterNow.com

StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Z3SpdDmn:

Does anyone know where I can buy the Porterfields?

Thanks

http://www.porterfield-brak...o.php?productID=2809
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Hawk HP Plus on my car right now. Car is used for autocross, and these pads bite HARD. They don't make the HP Plus for an 88 fiero, so I ordered them for a wildwood dynalite caliper. The dowel pin holes are exact, but have to be drilled out of 6mm and chamfered, also you need to grind down the edges of the pad to fit in the fiero caliper bracket. $55 per axle at SummitRacing
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lol not this again...

still cant accept the fact though right....

Enlighten me why it would benefit me to make it up.... I never had a car in the last 20 years I couldnt easily get 100K out of tires and brakes. I sold my Ferrari kit to someone on the forum with just over 100K I put on it in about 7 years. It had the tires and the brakes I put on it from the original build. I started it from scratch with a zero odometer, and built everything from the ground up. I put the first set of brake pads on my 98 Astro van at 130K...and it was still running the original 15" tires from new. They were a bit weather cracked but very usable. They were never changed by the original owner I bought it from because he had every bit of the service records for it since he bought it new...even down to light bulb replacements.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 07-10-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock