Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Kahines decklid vent install. Tips welcomed! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Kahines decklid vent install. Tips welcomed! by weloveour86se
Started on: 07-07-2012 11:10 PM
Replies: 49 (3633 views)
Last post by: skitime on 09-16-2019 08:57 PM
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2013 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really progress per say but headed towards it. Today I was able to swap out both hoods with a spare set I have. Both are factory black. Frankencar, cept it doesn't look so terrible. Luggage rack rear decklid, I need my wing back asap! I've got to make some real progress soon as this is holding up other prep for full car paint. If I have enough Evercoat left I may shave the radio antenna and shove it in the A-pillar.

Pretty soon I will start getting the Evercoat and needed supplies together. Decklids off and ready for some more boring sanding...Any volunteers to help sand? I'll buy the beers . Seriously though it should start to get interesting soon as I start to mess with the Kahines vent and its final workup. Stay tuned as this could go either way!
IP: Logged
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally some progress...

And like any project typically does it has turned into soo much more then just a deck vent install. I have added a chin spoiler, side scoops and the Kahines vent. Mind you the PO shaker canned this car so I am removing it all. Someday I will be ready for paint. Someday...

So now that I am making some progress I am looking at me Kahines vent and I LOVE it but I kinda want to get a knew vent. Mine has chips and the vents I cut look like crap IMO. However I can't find the Kahines site now. Go figure!

Yeah progress!! Albeit very slow...

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have been looking as time permits for the Kahines website or even contact info. I checked the PFF vendor lists and it's not there. I used the search function and this is all that came up.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-083604.html

I even posted to FAAUSFA on FB and PFF on FB. Nothing. So is Kahines done?

Anyone have any contact?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I've noticed he kind of flies under the radar, says things are being discontinued at times, then you will see them for sale on ebay again later. This is the first time I have seen that his website seems to be gone.
www.kahines.com

Who is "gtfiero" from Indiana on ebay? Could that be him?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-...2fd9fc#ht_148wt_1009

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-08-2014).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone replied yesterday on FB that they thought maybe Ken passed. IDK if it's true though. If it is, it's a horrible loss! If it's not true it's a horrible joke. I hope it's the latter.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2019 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The deck vent in the pictures in this thread goes back a while but does anyone know if this deck lid vent design was picked up by any other manufacturer? Ken Hines stopped producing Fiero parts quite a few years ago and I wonder if the mold was sold and is in anyone's inventory? If available this vent would fit my convertible project perfectly.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Habanera Hal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2019 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis -
you would probably do better to try to fashion a vent like Skitime's: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000073.html.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2019 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

Dennis -
you would probably do better to try to fashion a vent like Skitime's: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000073.html.

When I spoke to Dave about that deck vent I believe that he pieced it together from parts of the two large side vents but its made of magnesium so welding won't work. Dave said that he used JB weld to join the half's together and if that truly was the case, I would have a few doubts about its strength.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Habanera Hal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2019 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know, I always wondered how he made it, since he didn't provide any specifics in the build thread. The pics I saw always looked virtually seamless. I guess JB Weld could work if you reinforced the butt joints underneath.

With the way he did everything else on the car, I doubt he'd have done anything half-a**ed.
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2019 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

You know, I always wondered how he made it, since he didn't provide any specifics in the build thread. The pics I saw always looked virtually seamless. I guess JB Weld could work if you reinforced the butt joints underneath.

With the way he did everything else on the car, I doubt he'd have done anything half-a**ed.

I did use JB Weld with reinforcement pieces. It never caused any problems despite engine heat. In addition I did very slight body work to the top surface to cover the joint of the two halves. I looked through my build pictures but have none on the construction of the grill itself.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave