Click here to visit the donation page | View all sponsors
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  any interest in a fiero footwell sub box kit? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
any interest in a fiero footwell sub box kit? by 87antuzzi
Started on: 06-18-2012 07:46 PM
Replies: 46 (1193 views)
Last post by: GADJet on 10-26-2012 12:26 AM
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 222
Rate this member

06-18-2012 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, I get to play with CNC's at work and some other fun stuff my boss gave me the ok to run some parts when the time comes. So, I am going to see if there is any interest in pre cut/drilled kit for fiero footwell sub boxes. I will offer a ported version good for 1 cf that will run a port under the dash and vent next to the blue dinger thing or a sealed box that will be good for .6 cf. The boxes will use polyfill or foam, I have not decided yet. In the ported versions the blue dinger will have to be removed to allow room for the port. I am also thinking about offering up a kit where the box will be tuned for a Fi q12 sub but the cost will sky rocket because of the cost of the sub. If I have everything planned out correctly the cost will be 55 shipped for CNC cut MDF, pre drilled MDF, all hardware to screw it together and double sided foam tape to seal the box together. I will be building 2 prototypes on firday. Sub sizes will be for 10's and 12's. I will not be taking any deposits what so ever as the start up cost is pretty low for me.

IP: Logged

88fieroduke

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-18-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierodukeClick Here to Email 88fierodukeSend a Private Message to 88fierodukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would be interested in one for a 12" sub. Message me when you have them made. Paypal?

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-18-2012 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have paypal. I am building the proto on friday and should be able to run on monday if there is enough interest.

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-18-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would love to see the prototypes when they're done!

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-18-2012 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will also sell the G code to people who have their own toys .

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
Rate this member

06-19-2012 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisClick Here to visit Synthesis's HomePageClick Here to Email SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Heh, I am in the process of building one of these as well...

You get a lot more air space in the foot well than you do under the dash.

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-19-2012 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Heh, I am in the process of building one of these as well...

You get a lot more air space in the foot well than you do under the dash.

I actually thought up another ported version that will get me even more airspace, I just need to figure out if the design will be easy to tune. Im also trying to figure out how to get it installed without removing the dash..... So far the ported version I was talking about previously should be able to be removed from the car with ease. The ported box I though up tonight.....not so much. Im also trying to design the sealed box for a 10 to fit in the rear trunk so it can be removed incase your passenger does not like the amount of leg room.

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-19-2012 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageClick Here to Email larini74Send a Private Message to larini74Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't forget to post some pics.....

repnblvd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-24-2012 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for repnblvdClick Here to Email repnblvdSend a Private Message to repnblvdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

I have paypal. I am building the proto on friday and should be able to run on monday if there is enough interest.

I also have paypal. I will use it to transfer money to your's of this looks good. ha. POST PICS!

------------------
-Repnblvd

'86 Fiero GT "Kona Car"
'86 Fiero GT "Old Yeller"
'85 GT "DOA"

'02 Aztek

sebw8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-25-2012 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sebw8891Send a Private Message to sebw8891Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

souds good id like to see pics also

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-25-2012 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CNC at work broke, so my proto box is going slow.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-26-2012 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageClick Here to Email AustralianSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wondering if back the front works for RHD. Same parts glued opposite as just a thought. Not sure if the fiero foot wells are same left and right i know 75 corvettes certainly are not as the foot wells were extended when my folks did their conversion.

IanT720

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-26-2012 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Click Here to Email IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

would love to see the box as ive been thinking about this a lot

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-27-2012 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, so apparently the CNC at work broke because someone was using it for a at home project, the boss is pissed and told us no more at home projects....So the box will now be of fiberglass....I plan on laying a few layers of tape over the carpet in the footwell and throwing fiberglass over it. I will then make a MDF "top" for the box and seal her up tight and fill it with a magical goop....this will create a plug for my fiberglass work.....The cost of material will be the same but shipping will go up a little. I am laying glass tomorrow after work.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-27-2012 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportClick Here to Email Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since I'm starting to give up on Black Pegasus' 8" under dash sub box, I'm interested in this.

The volume would be great for a JL w7 series subwoofer.

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-29-2012 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Throwing fiberglass right now <-----My eyes because I forgot my respirator at work.

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-29-2012 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, so fiberglass, resin, MDF, dowel rods bla bla bla aint cheap. The kits WILL not be that cheap anymore, however with time involved, material and labor of making the plugs, molds ect...I will try to keep the cost below 100. I will also offer counter sunk kits for a few bones more. For the price you will get 1 complete sealed footwell box ready to go in made with 7 layers of glass. I am letting glass set up now and in a hour or 2 throw some more on, then let it set 24 hours and then remove it from the car. I still have to make a mold of the under side of the dash and a few other things, after my molds are complete I will then make a plug. After the plug is made its easy street from there, throw the glass and walk away. I will update with pictures in a hour or so.

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-29-2012 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by 87antuzzi (edited 10-18-2012).]

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-29-2012 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ITS OUT! The mold is out

Backside

And this is in a completely different fiero, I put it in 2 different cars infact.....
fits like a glove

Please ignore the chunks of crap, I was glassing under a tree.

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-29-2012 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Click Here to Email IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

consider makeing a ported box?

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-29-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, its looking like there is zero interest so this is more of a build tread at the moment.

deezil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-30-2012 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hell I thought it was cool.

outlawfiero17

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

06-30-2012 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Click Here to Email outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kris if you make these i WILL buy one. I got a powered slim sub but decided its be better used in the t.a. since the t.a. is now my DD

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

06-30-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwClick Here to Email KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Even if you don't sell any I will be following this thread so keep up the progress please. I'm always interested in seeing what people do when it comes to sub boxes in a Fiero .

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

07-01-2012 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Depending on cost, I may be interested in one for a cheap walmart pioneer 10 at some point in the future.

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

07-01-2012 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No work on the box today. Tomorrow will be a fun filled day with bondo....and more fiberglass.....then bondo......then primer.....then sanding.....then primer.....then wood.

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-22-2012 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK, I am trying this as well. I may get started on this today.... Not sure yet.

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-22-2012 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Click Here to Email IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Building my own, check out my thread!

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well between wrestling with my kids and wife, I found about 15 mins to work on my fiero last night. I got the footwell taped off.

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Take a lint roller over it to smooth it out even more. Also, get a fan on the other side of the car pulling air out or have one behind you blowing air in. Each layer takes about 10 minutes to lay and the resin quickly fills the cab with all sorts of nasty crap you dont want to breath. If possible wear a resperatior. I want to see how yours turns out

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I left the floor mats in place as you can see. I figured it will be a "true" fit if I did. I almost took them out but I figured what the heck. Its minimal space. It should be fine. Thanks for the air flow comment. I do not have a respirator anymore. I lost it about 4 moves ago. I used to have one from when I painted boats. Not anymore. But I'm working in my carport and it is open. I should be ok. I hope to lay some resin tonight. I will update you later. Problem is I have to drive it tomorrow. Do you think it will be ok to drive tomorrow, or should I wait until the weekend? I will be driving my truck then.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

10-23-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageClick Here to Email Capt FieroSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A club member built one of those style boxes a few years ago, used the foot well as the mold and laid the glass into the foot well over some sort of plastic. Once the back of the box was done I believe he used MDF on the face. He has since got out of Fiero's and offered it to me, sans sub. I just ordered a 12 inch 500w RMS / 1000w Peak sub to go in there. Should sound really good in the Fiero. Yes the passengers will have to sit with their legs crossed sideways in front of the seat. However with 2 kids now, the Fiero will mostly just be used for me to go running around town. We have another member with 8 subs in his Fiero yes Eight and 2000watts + of amps in the front compartment, and I don't want to be that nuts, but a nice single twelve will be great.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Click Here to Email AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

my two cents... I had thought of this a while back, but didnt want to fiddle with the fiberglass to make it fit snug, I was thinking in my own plans to stick with the basic MDF boards, and cut them in such a way that they would fit snug enough and then fasten it with some straps and/or screws.

My thought was to make it flush all the way across to the dead pedal/foot rest. and if the sub was to be mounted facing the passenger, I would then fab up a metal grate and set the mounting surface back a few inches so the sub would be protected (if the sub is too big for the footwell that there cant be some sort of foot rest for the left foot as well), if it was to be set on top instead, then all that extra hassle could be avoided.

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:
We have another member with 8 subs in his Fiero yes Eight and 2000watts + of amps in the front compartment

pics or it didnt happen!

Originally posted by AL87:
My thought was to make it flush all the way across to the dead pedal/foot rest. and if the sub was to be mounted facing the passenger, I would then fab up a metal grate and set the mounting surface back a few inches so the sub would be protected (if the sub is too big for the footwell that there cant be some sort of foot rest for the left foot as well), if it was to be set on top instead, then all that extra hassle could be avoided.

That is exactly what i am doing. Putting in a JL Audio 12w6.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageClick Here to Email Capt FieroSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IIRC the other 2 are under the dash

More pics are here, sorry I don't have any of the dual batteries or amp rack.

http://westcoastfieros.com/...82&KW=stereo+install

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, thats one way to do it. I bet the SQ was horrible though!

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageClick Here to Email Capt FieroSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually with his separate mids and tweets and IIRC a Center channel was in the middle of the dash, it sounded really amazing. The pics in that thread were early on in the build more stuff was added later. He actually as the car up for sale now on Craigslist.

------------------

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well I made a discovery today. The supplied resin in the bondo kit isn't enough. Needless to say, I easily ran out and have to buy more tomorrow and hardener. :-(

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And that's just 1 layer. I still have enough mat for 2 more layers and also the cloth that came with the kit.

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

10-23-2012 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

87Antuzzi you got any update on yours?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock