Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Turbo Build (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Turbo Build by nosrac
Started on: 05-09-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 787 (26725 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 08-27-2014 03:08 AM
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Get that ugly alternator moved.

Did I tell you that I hate U ?

Now I HAVE TO go a Low mount setup cause I can't do ugly.

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

what are you waiting on now?

Waiting on USPS snail mail again.
IP: Logged
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Waiting on USPS snail mail again.

move the ATL to where the AC pump is and run a electric water pump will look super clean very short belt no loss of HP to compenents seen it done looks great

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

move the ATL to where the AC pump is and run a electric water pump will look super clean very short belt no loss of HP to compenents seen it done looks great

In Texas you Need AC.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

Pics????
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swap is looking good man! Damn... the N/A top looks so much better than my L67 LIM/S2/Tophat.

FOr those of us with turbo's, is it ok to use the OIL level sensor location in the oil pan for the return line? IIRC the oil return needs to dump above the oil in the pan to prevent it backing up the hose.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Swap is looking good man! Damn... the N/A top looks so much better than my L67 LIM/S2/Tophat.

FOr those of us with turbo's, is it ok to use the OIL level sensor location in the oil pan for the return line? IIRC the oil return needs to dump above the oil in the pan to prevent it backing up the hose.

THX, it is going to look even better on Monday. Low mount alt, Black VC, and reversed Fuel rail. Your eyes should ONLY focus on the L26 UIM.

MOAR pics to come.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

No----The oil lever sensor hole is a no go IMO....The oil can not drain properly into the oil pan if oil is at the level it is supposed to be. This will cause oil to back up into turbo and ruin the turbo. If you have a pump added to the mix then I would say you could use it but I would just mount the return higher in the pan and more centered.....
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe ZZP uses that hole on their kits. I don't see why it would be a problem if its below the oil line. It's not like we are dealing with pudding here. I bet when i'm under power for those 10 seconds there is oil up against the fitting and flowing backwards into the line.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The high mounted turbos won't have an issue with using the oil sensor port. However, mine is too low especially with the addiction brackets.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

No----The oil lever sensor hole is a no go IMO....The oil can not drain properly into the oil pan if oil is at the level it is supposed to be. This will cause oil to back up into turbo and ruin the turbo. If you have a pump added to the mix then I would say you could use it but I would just mount the return higher in the pan and more centered.....

Not true. In all the turbo builds I've done, I've plumbed the oil return line right into the oil level sensor hole. Never had an issue with oil not being able to drain out of the turbo. It does not matter where the oil level is at in relation to where you are plumbing your return line into AS LONG AS all the following situations are TRUE:

1) Oil can run "downhill" from the turbo to the pan
2) The turbo's oil outlet is higher than the nominal oil level in the pan (including where the oil level will be under full acceleration conditions)
3) There is NOT an abnormally high amount of pressure in the crankcase

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 06-08-2012).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Not true. In all the turbo builds I've done, I've plumbed the oil return line right into the oil level sensor hole. Never had an issue with oil not being able to drain out of the turbo. It does not matter where the oil level is at in relation to where you are plumbing your return line into AS LONG AS all the following situations are TRUE:

1) Oil can run "downhill" from the turbo to the pan
2) The turbo's oil outlet is higher than the nominal oil level in the pan (including where the oil level will be under full acceleration conditions)
3) There is NOT an abnormally high amount of pressure in the crankcase

-ryan

Good information to know as my only knowledge on the issie is from reading what others have done in the GP world. Good to hear from some one with first hand knowledge that can be trusted.
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bet when i'm under power for those 10 seconds there is oil up against the fitting and flowing backwards into the line.

You mean 11.5 seconds ...Lol
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In Texas you Need AC.

Damn right! its too damn hot here in the south to forgo A/C. No way, not this guy!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

I believe ZZP uses that hole on their kits. I don't see why it would be a problem if its below the oil line. It's not like we are dealing with pudding here. I bet when i'm under power for those 10 seconds there is oil up against the fitting and flowing backwards into the line.

This is how ZZP runs the return with their 3800 turbo kit?
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ups and fedEx.
Ordered head install hardware from ZZP.
Also, ordered some replacement parts for dinged oil pan, damaged harmonic balancer from da rock.

ST3 CAM is in double roller on.

same came here.

LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got back from the track. Your going to like that turbo.

My little T3 6262 with a ST1 cam ran well enough to shuffle the 10 sec club up a bit. More details tomorrow, I've gotta get some sleep

Any guesses? <20lbs boost, pump gas 94 octane + one bottle NOS brand octane boost, 3135lbs with driver & fuel.

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

New combo : Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.

[This message has been edited by LFiero67 (edited 06-10-2012).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
10.3@137
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

Just got back from the track. Your going to like that turbo.

My little T3 6262 with a ST1 cam ran well enough to shuffle the 10 sec club up a bit. More details tomorrow, I've gotta get some sleep

Any guesses? <20lbs boost, pump gas 94 octane + one bottle NOS brand octane boost, 3135lbs with driver & fuel.

Congrats... 10.45@137
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005
FriendOfYours Low mount Bracket

Adjustable dog bone mated with the Hiem Joint
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't recommend the filter on the top of that L26 intake, as the air that is taken in for that should be metered air, passing though the MAF, but before the throttle plate. I believe that is assuming you are keeping the PCV system.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 06-11-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might want to make some like of heat sheild/deflector between the #2 primary and the alternator. That ***** is going to get hot.

------------------
11.54@132.7

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Justinbart

3259 posts
Member since Sep 2009

Originally posted by mattwa:

I wouldn't recommend the filter on the top of that L26 intake, as the air that is taken in for that should be metered air, passing though the MAF, but before the throttle plate.

It's just a crank case vent. On the stock setup it uses that tube to draw in filtered air. Can't do that with a turbo setup. When he tunes it. The PCV air will be consistent enough.

The valve cover breather and that nipple filter all go to the same place...

------------------
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 06-11-2012).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Might want to make some like of heat sheild/deflector between the #2 primary and the alternator. That ***** is going to get hot.

Ok, what did you use?
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at your exhaust I am wondering if you had it jet coated or something before you wrapped it. I know that if it is mild steel and just painted the wrapping can promote rust and the pipes wind up rusting very quickly. That alternator mount is VERY basic and I am almost surprised at how simple it is. Maybe I need to look into fabricating a very nice custom CNC machined mount for these monsters on my VMC when it gets here. Sure seems like folks prefer to use the low mount setup. The motor sure is looking nice and I can't wait for that NINE man....hehe peace

Pete

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, what did you use?

I didn't put my alternator there. But, I guess, It is pretty close to the #1 primary on the other side. Might not have to worry about it. Just didn't know if the added heat from the turbo also in the same area would hurt the alternator. I would probably use a piece of the stock 3800 manifold heat shield and bolt it to the two manifold studs on #2. Just to reflect the radiant heat. The header wrap could be enough. Shoot it with a infrared heat gun after a good run.

------------------
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Looking at your exhaust I am wondering if you had it jet coated or something before you wrapped it. I know that if it is mild steel and just painted the wrapping can promote rust and the pipes wind up rusting very quickly. That alternator mount is VERY basic and I am almost surprised at how simple it is. Maybe I need to look into fabricating a very nice custom CNC machined mount for these monsters on my VMC when it gets here. Sure seems like folks prefer to use the low mount setup. The motor sure is looking nice and I can't wait for that NINE man....hehe peace

Pete

Stainless steel on the Front, ceramic coated on the x-over, painted on the rear.
Yes, very basic Alt mount and it leaves some room for a Top mount or cradle mounted dog bone. If you make it they will come.
I need a Built tranny for that nine. However, I'm going for the for the cleanest and Fastest trapping turbo 3800 swap..
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's just a crank case vent. On the stock setup it uses that tube to draw in filtered air. Can't do that with a turbo setup. When he tunes it. The PCV air will be consistent enough.

The valve cover breather and that nipple filter all go to the same place...

True. I have the stock setup, so that's what I use right now.

Nevermind, sorry nosrac.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 06-11-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Matt, looks like the L36 can take some power...
Oops nvm I forgot you used the L26. Don't know why I thought you had the L36.

------------------
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 06-11-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So Matt, looks like the L36 can take some power...
Oops nvm I forgot you used the L26. Don't know why I thought you had the L36.

I do have an L36. I just have the L26 intake and fuel rail on it. Yea, a turbo would be nice...
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

I do have an L36. I just have the L26 intake and fuel rail on it. Yea, a turbo would be nice...

Too much Powa 4 U Grasshoppa !

Go SC first to be sure you can handle it....
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Too much Powa 4 U Grasshoppa !

Go SC first to be sure you can handle it....

Matt is smarter than that, financially.

------------------
11.54@132.7

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mattwas car is a L36? WOW and here I was thinking why would you want to go thru the trouble of an engone swap and not make some power!!!! Hehe shows you whay I know I guess. Id say with that motor and a turbo and that f23 that would be a damn fast car...... nice you could do it in steps like that too if you could not afford everything at once. GO MATTWA!!!! HEHEHE peace

Pete
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3" Stainless Exhaust and Wastegate Dump Flex

These will connect to a 90* elbow to the Turbo kind of like the piece on there now but it will be custom fitted.

The outlet of the exhaust will go to a resonator tip to produce:

"the smoothest low throaty turbo sound on the market.".......Marketing 101...presentation, presentation, presentation
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can, try to make the radius as big as possible coming out of the turbo. How well the exhaust flows after the turbo is pretty significant.

------------------
11.54@132.7

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

3" Stainless Exhaust and Wastegate Dump Flex

These will connect to a 90* elbow to the Turbo kind of like the piece on there now but it will be custom fitted.

The outlet of the exhaust will go to a resonator tip to produce:

"the smoothest low throaty turbo sound on the market.".......Marketing 101...presentation, presentation, presentation

Very nice....you may proceed....hehe peace

Pete
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you can, try to make the radius as big as possible coming out of the turbo. How well the exhaust flows after the turbo is pretty significant.

3" Turbo Outlet...3" Straight Through Turbine Exhaust...3" Resenator Tip

Not your ordinary straight through muffler....

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 06-12-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha. Yea a turbo is a better choice for the money and power, even more so when I already have the L26 intake and N/A heads, no supercharged parts. But yea I can do it in steps. Turbooo. Which turbo should I get?
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the biggest one your pennies can buy of course!!!! hehehe JK. that looks like tons o fun. Peace

Pete

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock