Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Turbo Build (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Turbo Build by nosrac
Started on: 05-09-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 787 (26727 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 08-27-2014 03:08 AM
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2012 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah man I am also glad to see you going to get that beast back on the boost. I am a bit far away from Charleston but hey man maybe the NC club will have a smoky mountain cruise in and we can take a ride in your notchback monster fiero. Your car is a big inspiration to me as far as the powertrain. I am really excited about doing the notchie here and I just bought my first REAL machining center to add to my shop here. I just sold my retrofitted mill to a fellow in Canada. I also just bought a nice high quality 20 HP rotary phase converter to run that bad boy. I am also building a tubing bender so I can make my headers and exhaust in house here. I want to go all stainless and use my Tig welder to stick it all together. It is gonna take me a bit to get the machine setup and powered up and get used to the control but I hope to be able to make my own exhaust flanges and about anything else I can dream up. Still looking for a good deal on a decent 3800 block and tranny. I am PROBABLY going to go auto since the car is already an auto and it will be easier to get it dialed in for the quarter mile. Not entirely sure just yet but if I do not use the auto I may go with the F23...

So do you think that your car will be quicker now and what kinda pieces did you buy for it? I for one would love to hear about it. I will shoot you a PM with my number in case you want to chat about 3800s and turbos and fieros and stuff...hehe peace

Pete
IP: Logged
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2012 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine is out... should be ready next week..J/k

Build is going very fast just waiting on a few miscellaneous parts.

Also, getting a mild head/valve port job and then begin reassembling.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HEADS will be Mildly Ported with a Valve job for Moar Powah.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 05-21-2012).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Engine is out... should be ready next week..J/k

Build is going very fast just waiting on a few miscellaneous parts.

Also, getting a mild head/valve port job and then begin reassembling.

and now begins a pile of headaches with headgaskets... sad to see you pulled them off for no damn good reason, fiddling with the heads is not going to make any difference.

Also, why did you take the motor out of the car? And the trans off the cradle?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

and now begins a pile of headaches with headgaskets... sad to see you pulled them off for no damn good reason, fiddling with the heads is not going to make any difference.

Also, why did you take the motor out of the car? And the trans off the cradle?

Wasn't me as I am NOT turning the wrench so it won't be my headache...LOL if something ain't right then it's comming back.
The motor came out cause the mechanic couldn't put the turbo cam in with it still in the car.
Heads came off to get ported....No difference or not a BIG enough difference? I don't see any negatives with better flowing heads.
I'm really not sure why my mechanic removed the motor\Trans from the cradle...Powdercoating/Powerwash...???
My mechanic is doing it his way as I have some suggestions but have learned to let the "expert" do their thing.
I talked Mstangs into a High mount alt on my SC build only to regret it later and be out of more $$$.

We will see soon enough when I go to Texas Motor Speedway to run with the 9 sec Big Boys as I have been talking a lot of smack and it is almost time to put up or Shut up.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the heads are off, I would go with some ARP head studs to put it back together. ARP head studs with stock gaskets are still going strong on my old car. I did a mild port on my heads as well. Most of the focus was on the exhaust-side. You can really open up the short-side radius on these heads.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this build goes.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just get some ported aluminum heads.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Yea, $2k+ for those, no problem...haha.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol.. I need a Built Trans first.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by AkursedX:

I'm looking forward to seeing how this build goes.

Me to.....As I was very happy with my SC build. I hope to be GRINNING like someone gave me a columbian neck tie.
However, I plan on taking it easy....11.2 - 10.8 ish until I can get a built trans...
I still need to paint her and finish the interior get a front coil over kit...etc.
then I will go for the GUSTO...and TRY to break my trans...so I can justify $3K for a almost bullit proof one.

I'm sure my car will make all the power I can handle as I'm not with my threat of filiming that ZR1 beatdown in the 1/4 mile with a professional driver.

I got a score to settle @ Texas Motor Speedway on June 22nd, Then my Fiero has a bone to pick with that lil Electric Fiero in Texas..and ultimately the 1/4 mile crown is Mine....Muhuahaha

Bow down to the new 1/4 mile king
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
turbo's blow, you're going to hate it.

------------------
11.54@132.7

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the difference between 12s and 10s is massive....
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wasn't me as I am NOT turning the wrench so it won't be my headache...LOL if something ain't right then it's comming back.
The motor came out cause the mechanic couldn't put the turbo cam in with it still in the car.
Heads came off to get ported....No difference or not a BIG enough difference? I don't see any negatives with better flowing heads.
I'm really not sure why my mechanic removed the motor\Trans from the cradle...Powdercoating/Powerwash...???
My mechanic is doing it his way as I have some suggestions but have learned to let the "expert" do their thing.
I talked Mstangs into a High mount alt on my SC build only to regret it later and be out of more $$$.

We will see soon enough when I go to Texas Motor Speedway to run with the 9 sec Big Boys as I have been talking a lot of smack and it is almost time to put up or Shut up.

Oh no's! You aint building it yourself? ZOMG, you rich prick!!!!!!!!!! BaHHWWWaaaAAHHHAAAAAA Seriously, build threads blow. Build it and then post about it... well, if you can stop having so much fun with your new toy. I cant wait to see how yours turns out.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the difference between 12s and 10s is massive....

as in a ~350HP M90 with a few mods and ~750HP PT6266 with ALL the trimmings.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 05-22-2012).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

turbo's blow,

And Blowers Whine..
Isn't that's the point...
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

as in a ~350HP M90 with a few mods and ~750HP PT6266 with ALL the trimmings.

Jeez man... I cannot imagine a fiero with 750 HP.... That is just gonna be NUTZ!! You seem to be able to run that car pretty well with the supercharger setup so if you can get it to put that kind of power down it should be just really quick. I for one can't wait to see it. I second the motion that you should use the ARP hardware to put her back together it is just about the best insurance you can get. I have not built any 3800 turbo's YET but I have built a few engines before and I always try to swing the better hardware when I can afford it. What do you plan for the tranny on this monster? I will probably be going with the auto in my car so I am taking notes here man. Keep up the good work. Peace

Pete

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Jeez man... I cannot imagine a fiero with 750 HP.... That is just gonna be NUTZ!! You seem to be able to run that car pretty well with the supercharger setup so if you can get it to put that kind of power down it should be just really quick. I for one can't wait to see it. I second the motion that you should use the ARP hardware to put her back together it is just about the best insurance you can get. I have not built any 3800 turbo's YET but I have built a few engines before and I always try to swing the better hardware when I can afford it. What do you plan for the tranny on this monster? I will probably be going with the auto in my car so I am taking notes here man. Keep up the good work. Peace

Pete

I can't either cause ~300WHP was krazy nutz.
I will eventually get a built 4t65E-HD from Dave, Tim, or ZZP. I hope they have the one inch chain worked out when I'm ready to purchase.
I plan on only ~500WHP with the "turbo switch" at racing events using the dual boost controller and a "tame" 375WHP for street driving.
I am going to give it a minute before I give it all she's got but I'm pretty sure it's going to be close to that 9 sec mark.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^ that post gives me the lulz...
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might want to get some 11s first... or a car that runs.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why be so negative? If he is excited about his build and has a specific set of goals, WTF is it to you? I mean really, are you that threatened by him or just flat out insecure? Nothing wrong at all about being excited as his build is coming together. Damn... some of you people have NO CLASS.

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I will plan on running a few shakedown 12's then 11's then on to the 10's.

Don't jinx my build mann...as I have way too much nervous excitment and can't take too much more build anxiety.

I see all the unassembled parts and I'm like WTF. I'm glad I don't have to put all that puzzle shizzle back together.
PFF
System Bot
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nosrac,
Don't sweat it man, from the looks of it your build is shaping up to be the only one on here lately that has any chance of re-arranging the face of the speed pyramid around here. You are surely gonna be needing a heavy duty tranny from the sounds of everyone else's builds with High HP 3800's but other than that you seem to have spent your money on some quality parts that if assembled correctly ( and it sounds like Mustangs there is the guy for that) and properly tuned should put your little fiero down the track in short order. Make sure you take some good video of it and take lots of pics of the install for the rest of us to see how it is done. I would love to see you smoke that ZR1 you are shooting for. That new ZR1 is a damn fast car.... I agree with some other posters here tho when they say that there is a world of difference between a 12 second car and a ten second car. When you see both run at the same time on a track it looks like the twelve second car blew a motor or something hehee.... I mean a tenth or three looks like you got your ass kicked. I think that is really why the quarter mile is a really good way to exhibit your cars performance safely and legally. Do you have a cage in the car because I dunno about your local track but at MOROSO where I used to run my cars down in Florida once you ran an 11 second quarter mile you would not be allowed to run again until you passed inspection and you had to have a cage or hoop inside in case you roll it over or something. Good luck man... peace

Pete

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Damn... some of you people have NO CLASS.

Class? Flint, Michigan? HA, that's a good one.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Nosrac,
Don't sweat it man,
mmmK

re-arranging the face of the speed pyramid around here.
10's and I'm good

You are surely gonna be needing a heavy duty tranny.
I know Right!, that is my only problem. How much HP can my tranny hold before it grenades???.

quality parts that if assembled correctly (Mustangs there is the guy for that)
Mstangs sold me out..LOL..Not really but I couldn't wait as June 22nd is the start of Texas Motor Speedway Friday Night Drags.

and properly tuned
Nosrac got's that in the bag. The local Dyno is 3 runs for $60 and I have my trusty DHP Powrtuner

Make sure you take some good video of it and take lots of pics of the install for the rest of us to see how it is done.
And you know this....I gots the rear mounted camera and everything.

That new ZR1 is a damn fast car....
Yep, I need a pro ZR1 driver so I dont hear the excuses as to why it lost to the Turbo 3800 Fiero.

Do you have a cage in the car because I dunno about your local track
Nope but neither does a stock ZR1

Good luck man... peace
Thx,

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 05-22-2012).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I will plan on running a few shakedown 12's then 11's then on to the 10's.

Don't jinx my build mann...as I have way too much nervous excitment and can't take too much more build anxiety.

I see all the unassembled parts and I'm like WTF. I'm glad I don't have to put all that puzzle shizzle back together.

I would suggest that the build would be MORE jinx'd if you keep these unrealistic expectations up. The "competition" you plan on blowing away is many many leauges ahead of you in terms of how their cars are setup.

Also, you seem to be setting a "street power level" and a "race power level" and other things that you have NO idea will relate to anything in reality.

While you are thinking I am being "negative" about this, the reality is I am just suggesting that you come down off the cloud and focus on what it is going to take to get this car running, and now how to make it run 9s.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would suggest that the build would be MORE jinx'd if you keep these unrealistic expectations up. The "competition" you plan on blowing away is many many leauges ahead of you in terms of how their cars are setup.

Also, you seem to be setting a "street power level" and a "race power level" and other things that you have NO idea will relate to anything in reality.

While you are thinking I am being "negative" about this, the reality is I am just suggesting that you come down off the cloud and focus on what it is going to take to get this car running, and now how to make it run 9s.

I don't think you are being negative and the "cloud" that I'm on is just me doing some internet smack talking in good fun.
You're right I don't know how things will work out as just as no one else does either.
I don’t have unrealistic expectations IMO, as many M90's based 3800SC Fiero's run 11's so a 10 sec Turbo 3800 Fiero. is a simple. Just try and build a 9 sec one and run it conservatively...LOL
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think "conservative" and "9's" go together... Lol.

Edit: Yep, haters gonna hate, bakers gonna bake, skaters gonna skate.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 05-22-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 05-22-2012).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what are you waiting on now?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

what are you waiting on now?

Ups and fedEx.
Ordered head install hardware from ZZP.
Also, ordered some replacement parts for dinged oil pan, damaged harmonic balancer from da rock.

ST3 CAM is in double roller on.
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh boy !! I have the same Cam.....love to hear what you think of it. It'll be awhile before my engine purrs

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is it true that the aluminum heads have HG issues?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smack talk update !

Yes, that is a challange, as I smack you with my gauntlet. Biotch...

Pictures to follow soon and remember

Don't Hate...... Congratulate !
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another official sleeper build.... Im falling asleep waiting for it to be built.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Another official sleeper build.... Im falling asleep waiting for it to be built.

Don't get caught sleepin....
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks good.

That throttle body is pretty gross though.. I hate running AFC's on LT1 mafs....

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 06-05-2012).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get that ugly alternator moved.

------------------
11.54@132.7

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Get that ugly alternator moved.

and the supercharger tensioner bits.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nosrac,
Interesting, did mustangs make that exhaust setup, is that log on the front side bought or built? I see your turbo flange in there, what are you planning to do to support the turbocharger that thing is quite large. I am interested to see how this thread comes along and what you wind up with as far as installation and final performance. It certainly looks good aside from the bits already mentioned. That intake looks very nice. Are you planning to just use the transmission you are already using or will you be upgrading before you install? Post as many pics as you can...peace

Pete
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock