Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3800 Turbo Build (Page 13)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Turbo Build by nosrac
Started on: 05-09-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 787 (26727 views)
Last post by: MstangsBware on 08-27-2014 03:08 AM
TheRealShadowX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2012 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Sure, it will look clean when nothing is connected. No belt, shift cables, plug wires, engine mount, breather, etc. Even before all that, Nosrac's still looks cleaner.

Opinion, I disagree. I prefer the look of the one Whodeanie posted. Looks more serious to me, and that custom manifold is fantastic.

I'd post pics of mine but that silly old Eaton would ruin the shot for most in this thread, Lol

[This message has been edited by TheRealShadowX (edited 08-02-2012).]

IP: Logged
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

Opinion, I disagree. I prefer the look of the one Whodeanie posted. Looks more serious to me, and that custom manifold is fantastic.

I'd post pics of mine but that silly old Eaton would ruin the shot for most in this thread, Lol

I believe thats a vote for me! Na nah Na na!

You have been quiet bro. Whats going on? Updates man!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by nosrac:
Progress

I may have missed it, what is the expansion tank from (upper left corner)? I bet it makes burping the coolant system super easy. Or, is it for the w2a system?

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 08-08-2012).]

LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AFC got hooked up yesterday, worked fine with the LS1 aluminum maf, tuned it out in about 4 pulls on the back roads. Heading to the track on Saturday. Have to see if I can't run a single digit . When's yours going to see some track time Nosrac?

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

New combo : Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.
10.263 @ 134.44MPH

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

AFC got hooked up yesterday, worked fine with the LS1 aluminum maf, tuned it out in about 4 pulls on the back roads. Heading to the track on Saturday. Have to see if I can't run a single digit . When's yours going to see some track time Nosrac?

Nice man! I hope all goes well for you, I really do! GOOD LUCK! But don't think I am gonna be handing over my $1 to you! No way, the prize $$ is all mine!
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

I may have missed it, what is the expansion tank from (upper left corner)? I bet it makes burping the coolant system super easy. Or, is it for the w2a system?

The Corvette Surge tank is for my A/W intercooler. It is self burping and looks good too.
I've seen others have used it with cooling system and it's just something else I copied from the creative people on the forum.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

I want to enjoy it for a while before I grenade my trans...LOL
I may go when it cools off some but still need to get used t the turbo and learn how to tune this thing.
Did you used a fixed freq or mini AFC?
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mini afc set to 90%.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get into boost....Duhh

I put the Boost controller on backwards in this pic so I had to re-mounted like the installer had it originally...LOL

Also, I blew the blue intake coupler off when the boost controller was backwards and couldn't get that sucker back on, so I had to cut it off and order another one.

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Mini afc set to 90%.

I posted on Club GP how to properly tune the MAF using the mini AFC, That is if you need any help.

Good luck on your run this Sat. How much boost u going 2 run?
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
18 again, then probably 21, and 23 if necessary lol. Not sure how far I will go. Want a nine, but have a few targets in mind as well.
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pump gas is one hell of a restriction...
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moved to my new shop yesterday, shes back on 4 wheels. Had to push it there since i still gotta make all connections (fuel, coolant, wiring, etc), but its at least some progress...

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Moved to my new shop yesterday, shes back on 4 wheels. Had to push it there since i still gotta make all connections (fuel, coolant, wiring, etc), but its at least some progress...

Get it done man...we need more 3800 Turbo videos hehehe.. Is that car located in NC or is it up north now? Peace

Pete
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Living down in NC now....
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe thats a vote for me! Na nah Na na!

You have been quiet bro. Whats going on? Updates man!

I've been alright. Bought my 3800sc, put the other 85 away to prep for the turbo 3500 build.

Just no internet at my place right now so updates are slow.

Still kickin though!
lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jncomutt...you have a shop? doing what?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
race anyone yet?

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

race anyone yet?

Me?....Nope, I think I F'ed up my wheel bearings. I know I should have got my alignment before I brought it home.
There was always a high pitched metal dragging sound when the car is moving and I thought it was the vapor canister rattling around or my unattached emergency brake line rubbing against something.
Well, I removed the canister, zip tied the brake line and took it for a spin around the block.
I was still hearing the sound but proceeded to the highway to see if it went away at higher speeds, then I heard a loud moaning dinosaur sound...WTF...( sounded like Godzilla got kicked in the balls)
Luckily, I got the car back to my garage and started some internet research and I ASSUME it's my wheel bearing.
I did get them replaced when I got the Lebaron brake swap but I'm not sure of the quality of the Autozone parts.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After a drive put your hand on it and see if its warmer than the other side.

------------------
11.54@132.7

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Backing plates dragging? Always have to bend mine back after separating the ball joints.
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Backing plates dragging? Always have to bend mine back after separating the ball joints.

What are backing plates...lol?

Brake Plates/Shields???
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dust shield I guess? Behind brake rotor. Bottom rubs on rotor, metallic sound when it does.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dust shield I guess? Behind brake rotor. Bottom rubs on rotor, metallic sound when it does.

Thx, I'll check that out but I think they were removed because they didn't fit with the larger 11.25 rotors. Either that or they were cut/bent to fit. Either way I'll check.

The Loud azz random trumpet sound is what makes me think it is the bearing. Maybe the bearing is causing it to run om the shield???

Anyway got to get this issue fixed before I can do anything fast and fun.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try turning left and then right (at a speed the noise is most noticeable)... see if the noise gets worse or better. If so, most likely a wheel bearing.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2012 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Try turning left and then right (at a speed the noise is most noticeable)... see if the noise gets worse or better. If so, most likely a wheel bearing.

There's always the option of checking for play with the car jacked up. Grab ten and 2 and try to wiggle the wheel a little bit. Could look for that dust shield at the same time.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for some video footage!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates? You've gone quiet there buddy.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was on vacation last week so nothing was done to the car.
I still need to get that dragging sound fixed whatever it is and it probably will be a few weeks before I can get to it.
The turbo build was draining enough so I need to take a break from the drama that is my Fiero.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL I know the feeling. I'm supposed to get the "its running call" today. I am not holding my breath. Heard that one too many times.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2012 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this car is the back order king! every time we try to get something for it, it is eather backordered or no longer made so we have had to wait or figure out how to make it ourselves.
D.
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
uuuhhhh....done yet?

------------------
11.54@132.7

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

uuuhhhh....done yet?

The Turbo build has been done. Now finding/fixing the grinding issue that is another story.
She may be down for the winter and emerge early next spring painted, tuned, running 10's, and beating down ZR1's.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, So I felt the need for speed...... and decided to start the car up and just sit in it...LOL My grinding issue is still not resolved so I know I shouldn't drive it anywhere.

So I say what the hell it won't hurt to back it out and drive it in the neighborhood around the block about 100meters @ 10mph or so.

The grinding is soo terrible my neighbors start to stare @ me in a bad way like WTF.

So I get back home embarrassed and jack the car up. spin the wheel and lookie what I find in the wheel space between the brake shield and rotor.

InTheLead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find.. are your issues now solved?
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by InTheLead:

Nice find.. are your issues now solved?

Yes,.....took the car for another spin and NO grinding thank Gawd.
So onto more tuning. I changed more of my tuning settings from the SC tables to NA tables and moved a lot of values back to their stock settings.

I also upped the timing a Whole Hella lot and put back the aggressive transmission settings and that has helped tremendously.
It now drives much better off boost and comes into boost a hella lot quicker.
It doesn't feel like a 2.8 auto when it's off boost any more but when the boost comes in though it is NOTHING like the old M90 SC...NO WHINE and the pull gets harder.

My SC'ed combo would only pull hard till the end of 1st and then start to drop off as the RPM and the gears got larger.
Compared to my Butt acceleration Dyno I would start run away from my old setup in the middle of second gear but would be behind throughout first.
Since I don't have DR's I could never launch like a maniac as in ~1.5 60' but my transmission didn't want me to anyway.
I'm pretty sure I could have cracked off a ~1.5 60' when I was SC'ed and ran 11.7 with DR's because I had to baby it off the line not to spin but still managed a 1.76 60'

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It now drives much better off boost and comes into boost a hella lot quicker.

Technically it comes into boost slower, but you may not notice it as much.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What did those bolts go to? The wheel bearing?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let it RIP!

They look like the same bolts in my transmission mount.
------------------
11.54@132.7

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 10-04-2012).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

What did those bolts go to? The wheel bearing?

To nothing as far as I can tell. Just some random bolts that crept in the space.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock