Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Katatak's Next Big Fiero Adventure! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Katatak's Next Big Fiero Adventure! by katatak
Started on: 05-03-2012 11:43 PM
Replies: 242 (7142 views)
Last post by: katatak on 07-15-2014 11:03 PM
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings Fiero Fanatics.....

It's been awhile since my last Fiero adventure. I'm in the planning stages of my next. What have I been up to you ask? Well I've been pretty busy building some other cars. Helped my buddy Jeff rehab a 65 Fury III with a complete 440/dual quad monster motor and a complete interior redo. Helping Frizlefrak work on his 70 Mach 1 and finished (it will never be really finished) my 1970 Monte project. And some tidbits here and there on Rick's Mera and Jan's Formula.

I had "sworn" off Fiero's - said I'd never have another one.... I know, I know - that's just not right! Well I'm happy to report that the Fiero bug has bitten me once again. I am currently in the middle of a move from El Paso to Omaha (Bought a house in Omaha (it has a huge garage) and just sold my house in El Paso) so the move date is set for mid June. I'll be sad to leave my Fiero family in El Paso behind - they are truly a great bunch of guys and I will miss them terribly. I hope to make some new ones in the Omaha area in the coming months. As soon as I get settled in the new house, I will start looking for a candidate Fiero. Here's what I have planned so far:

I'll be looking for a notchie in the 86/87 vintage - I hate to cut the top off a perfectly good GT. The plan is to build a Roadster. Power plant will be the 3800SC with an auto (because I'm getting old and don't like to shift!). I've had the 4.9, 350 Chevy and built a few 3800SC's - I think the 3800SC is the best choice. Of course I will do a complete custom hand built interior, lightened - shaved down doors, laid back windshield, intergrated X bracing with roll bar/cage type thingie, and a host of other "custom" touches. Stay tuned for the "Build". Glad to be back in the Fiero state of mind!

Pat
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2012 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sleepy. But still happy to hear from ya. You were missed. Good luck with the movve

Tony
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back, seems like a good number of people find their way back even if they say "Never Again" to Fieros. Good luck with the move.

Ben
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear an update Pat!
Let me know if you need anything.

------------------
11 Camaro SS/RS
86 Fiero GT
03 Silverado 3500 Duramax! (Stacked, Tuned, Mean as Hell)
07 Suburban LT2
09 Avalanche LT3

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
i'm sure i could fly a plane no problem.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You seem to like to go wherever thoes Werner terminals are.. you'll like omaha.. shame though.. i was planning to move to el paso once i have nothing keeping me in PA.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat,

Welcome back you big lug! Good to see you back on. I had a look at the map and was going to offer you a place to stop in on the way but you aren't really going anywhere near me. Altough, you know if you wanted to wander towards St Louis or Chicago you always have a place to stop for a night or two!!!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 05-05-2012).]

mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Omaha is a part of the rust belt. I would sincerely suggest finding the candidate down here. Just my $.02. Good luck!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stay in touch with us Pat.
-Joe
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I knew you would get the itch for another Fiero. Even though they can drive you nuts, I didn't believe you when you said no more.......Fiero's are too much fun.

Call me when you get back in town.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2012 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the comments! It's amazing to me - I have been Fieroless for awhile and never noticed any while I was out traveling around the country. I started my long drive back to El Paso this am. Decided to take the interstate all the way so the route takes me across I-80 to I-76 into Colo. We stopped in Fort Morgan for gas and lunch. We were sitting in the Subway and what pulls into the parking lot - that's right - a nice shiny black Notchie - looked like an 88 Formula. Could not catch the owner but I got a few pics!

When I stopped at the gas station on the way out of town, the Notchie was in the drive thru of the DQ!

As we were heading down I-29 around Larkspur exit - mile marker 192, I spied a yellow wingless Notchie headed North about 4:00.

More later!
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All omens my friend...
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat
I never thought for a second you were done, you can fool some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time!

[This message has been edited by BlackThunderGT (edited 05-06-2012).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome back. I enquired about you in a thread a while ago and received a ton of replies. Glad to see you back and into the Fiero again.
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2012 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

All omens my friend...

X2
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat,

There's a '85 GT near you in Sioux City. The guy wants $700 OBO and says there is absolutely no rust. It's red with brown/tan interior. No sunroof and an auto. He claims it only has like 71k miles but it's been sitting and doesn't run. It's listed on CL there in Omaha. I was looking to buy it but figured I'd see if you wanted it first.

Michael
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2012 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up Mike! I'm not quite ready just yet - I'm back in El Paso until the movers come for all my junk. Once I get moved into Omaha and get "settled" in, I can start my search. Don't let it slip by on my account. I may be looking for a Driver with a 3800SC already done - makes the rest of my plans a little easier.
DMendez7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DMendez7Send a Private Message to DMendez7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with everything, Pat!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2012 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One step closer to the next project. I head for Omaha next week to finalize the purchase of my house. The house in El Paso is sold! I come back to El Paso next Friday and will spend the next 3 days packing all the garage stuff that the movers will not take - torch bottles, weld bottles, any "liquids", etc. Will be an official Omaha resident by the 13th. I will start my search by the weekend of the 16th! I have the new project "visualized" in my head - wish I had some artistic skills and could put it on paper. I think I have decided on a 3800SC - not sure about trans just yet. I like the "ease" of auto but I'd like to auto cross this one on ocaision.

Once I find a suitable donor car, I will start phase one - basically will srtip the car to the bones so that the chassis mods can be done. It will be a roadster - no roof, shortened windshield with a custom tubular skeleton. More to come.

Pat

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nearly 6 months since my last Fiero confession! Winter is setting in and there are no "projects" in the garage so it's time for a Fiero project. Looking for my next victim now - anyone in the Mid West area - Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kansas that has or knows of a fairly clean 86 or 87 Notchie - need not be running - send me a PM. Willing to hook up the trailer and take a weekend run to pick up the right candidate. There are a few right here in Omaha - even one that comes with a 3800SC ready to swap in but it's a GT. My "vision" requires some chopping and I hate to cut up a GT - but I can always find a Notchie rear clip to "shave"! More to come!

Pat
mptighe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Nearly 6 months since my last Fiero confession! Winter is setting in and there are no "projects" in the garage so it's time for a Fiero project. Looking for my next victim now - anyone in the Mid West area - Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kansas that has or knows of a fairly clean 86 or 87 Notchie - need not be running - send me a PM. Willing to hook up the trailer and take a weekend run to pick up the right candidate. There are a few right here in Omaha - even one that comes with a 3800SC ready to swap in but it's a GT. My "vision" requires some chopping and I hate to cut up a GT - but I can always find a Notchie rear clip to "shave"! More to come!

Pat

http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/3437314097.html

http://desmoines.craigslist.../cto/3427125603.html

Good luck on the hunt!
PFF
System Bot
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pat

Happy hunting Pat.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/3437314097.html

http://desmoines.craigslist.../cto/3427125603.html

Good luck on the hunt!

Thanks for the links! The Des Moines one has some promise - and it's fairly close! Pretty much the "blank" canvas I am looking for. Ther just are not that many "builder's" out there. Even Ebay does not have much of a selection like it used to! I'll find the right one - usually when I least expect it.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

Happy hunting Pat.

I'll be in Idaho in a week - I know where there is a pretty nice GT - ready to go! Only problem is the guy wants too much for it!
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Want to take my indy off my hands? Just too many fieros!
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Want to take my indy off my hands? Just too many fieros!

Now what kind of "hell" would I get if I chopped up a very nice Indy? Although, I do have some ideas for resurecting a "tired" Indy should one come a long! Thinking a drive train out of a last year Cobalt SS and make a daily driver out of it????

After I win the Lottery tonight, I'll help clean out your "herd"!
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll be in Idaho in a week - I know where there is a pretty nice GT - ready to go! Only problem is the guy wants too much for it!

Yeah, but you should see the clowns that built that car. {queue up circus music}
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL...thought I would offer. If you want to start from scratch there is an 85 GT frame with the body on it up here that is spotlessly rust free. No motor ot interior but it had low miles.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat,

I knew you could not stay away from Fiero's.

You get infected the first time you cut yourself working on on one.
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have two 84's sitting in the driveway....
One has a big ole hole where the engine used to be,
One is a daily driver.

Both in great shape!

Ohh! almost forgot about the 88 Formula that needs a clutch!

They are everywhere around here.
------------------
84 Fiero V6 4 speed
84 Fiero Duke 4 Speed
08 Suburban Z71
12 Silverado Z71
12 Tahoe LT
13 Sonic LT turbo
73 VW Baja

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 11-29-2012).]

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent all day "looking" for the right donor car - there are not many around this area - at least not on CL or EBay. All I want is a clean 86 - 87 Duke/Auto for 600.00! You would think they woud be easy to find. I might ave to take a road trip with a trailer.
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008
Got a nibble - if I can get this guy to call me back, I may have a Fiero in the garage tomorrow! Silver 87 - Duke/Auto - runs and drives - 65k miles - 1500.00!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If is sounds like a Duke, smells like melting / burning engine oil, and is dirty as all get out , Then it is probably a Duke. 87's were the best ones to have. DIS with out the forced balancer crap. Also they take the oil filter in the usual place just behind the Alternator.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

If is sounds like a Duke, smells like melting / burning engine oil, and is dirty as all get out , Then it is probably a Duke. 87's were the best ones to have. DIS with out the forced balancer crap. Also they take the oil filter in the usual place just behind the Alternator.

Yes - Joe - it's a Duke but it won't be in there for long! This car will be getting a "major" overhaul!
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes - Joe - it's a Duke but it won't be in there for long! This car will be getting a "major" overhaul!

What does that include?

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine/trans swap - I'd liket to do an LS3 but will probably start with a 3800SC (because I have one in the garage). I've done the 4.9, 350 SBC and a few 3800SC's -the 3800 - from my experinece has been the "easiest" - basically plug and play and the most bang for the buck. The LS3 will require a little more work and a few more dollars. I'd like to get the car running/driving with all the mods done then pick up another cradle and start the LS3 setup while I enjoy the 3800SC setup. When it's ready, do the swap and compare the difference? Or maybe play with a Turbo setup on the 3800 (I have zero Turbo experience). I have a vison for a "Roadster" but not set in stone. It will be unique regardless of direction. Interior will be completely custom and one of a kind. When I moved to Omaha from El Paso, I brought all the custom dash and console molds I was making for my XTC that never got finished. I'll do the big brakes, and all the rest of the Fiero mods to suspension and such. I'd like to take it to a few track days and play with it in the twisties - living here in Omaha, I'm only about 6 miles from a nice track and drag strip. I have been a hot rodder / drag racer for years but would really like to do something in the autocross world. The car will be built with that in mind. I always wanted to build a Cobra from the ground up but the cost always was a stumbling block for me - I am thinking about building a Fiero with a "Cobra" flare. Becuase it will cost half as much but mainyt becuase I love the Fiero more than the Cobra. Besides, the last big car show I went to this Fall - there were about 40 Cobra's and not one Fiero! I just need to find the "right" Fiero to start the project.
katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

katatak

7136 posts
Member since Apr 2008

Originally posted by Carver1:

I have two 84's sitting in the driveway....
One has a big ole hole where the engine used to be,
One is a daily driver.

Both in great shape!

Ohh! almost forgot about the 88 Formula that needs a clutch!

They are everywhere around here.

You want to drag one up to Omaha?????? I know you would!
Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Cuba Gooding Jr. once said.... "Show me the money!"

------------------
84 Fiero V6 4 speed
84 Fiero Duke 4 Speed
08 Suburban Z71
12 Silverado Z71
12 Tahoe LT
13 Sonic LT turbo
73 VW Baja

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 12-02-2012).]

Carver1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Carver1

2843 posts
Member since Nov 2000
If you don't find the right one up there, I am looking for a few things that seem to be impossible to get down here. I loves me some swappin'

Short list.
1600+ air cooled VW engine. (duel port)
2.8 or 3.4 for the red 84. (already been converted, but block froze last winter.)
Iroc Camaro
5X105 rims/tires 18"

More like a Christmas list that I am working on if the Fieros go away.

Here is my new project...

katatak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2012 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carver1:

If you don't find the right one up there, I am looking for a few things that seem to be impossible to get down here. I loves me some swappin'

Short list.
1600+ air cooled VW engine. (duel port)
2.8 or 3.4 for the red 84. (already been converted, but block froze last winter.)
Iroc Camaro
5X105 rims/tires 18"

More like a Christmas list that I am working on if the Fieros go away.

Here is my new project...

So let me guess - a Sonic Turbo motor in a Fiero?????
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock