Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Where do you see a fiero values at 10 years from now? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where do you see a fiero values at 10 years from now? by weloveour86se
Started on: 04-22-2012 10:07 PM
Replies: 83 (6643 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-18-2017 02:09 PM
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! What a great discussion. I wont sully it for too long.

Quick question tho, in the link provided by PaulV. In the topic covering mileage and values. Paul states something to the effect that a fiero with less then 100,000 miles on it is considered a low mileage car. IIRC that's pretty much exzactly what it says.

Soo my question is how did you surmise this?

Thanks for everyones time and thanks for the great reading material!
IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Talking about demographics the baby boomers (gazillions!) have definitely rised demand for those 70s cars. Yes no one can predict the future and I'm not trying to be pessimistic. Just more realistic. As I said initially I was disagreeing and not making fun of anybody. Just think comparing a modified Fiero to a modified 50s duece that goes today for a lot of $$ is a little off. I'm more in line with the Corvair comparison. That one I saw a mint stock example go at Barret for $7k. But probably it was a $2k car back in the 60s. Do I wish I would be wrong and have these be worth $100k in 20 yrs? Oh yes.

True no one can predict the future, but it's fun to speculate.

I think the 80s car will fall into a void when it comes to collectability. Oh there will be a few exceptions like the Turbo Trans Am, which already cost more than I want to pay for them. But for the most part 80s cars, especially American 80s cars were junk compared to what came before and after them.

Call it massive ignorance, but I just realized a couple of years ago that the hot rods of the 50s were cars made in the 30s. I never paid much attention to anything built before the late 60s so they all looked alike to me.

Which brings up my next point...the current retro thing is almost played out. The baby boomers are wanting the Boss 302 and Camaro, that look like 60s cars, but the Gen x And Gen Y and the Millennials not so much. From what I understand the Mustang is going back to a modern looking car next. So like everything these go in cycles.

Will there be a demand someday for late 80s cars? Probably not.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think it's a matter of those kids who thought Fieros were cool having enough money to buy them-as in we should be in the middle of the Golden Age of Fiero collectibility. For my generation, it was 55-57 Chevys and 60s Muscle cars; their Golden Age has just passed and it's moved into 70's and 80's cars (but as we know, there wasn't much worth collecting). Those who are interested are quickly getting too old or dieing. My dream truck was/is a 53-56 Ford F100; I'm currently finishing one up, but the chances of it becoming more collectible has already passed and continues to decline. Model T's were cool when I was a kid, but you can barely give them away now. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the sweet spot of collectibility is for males with disposable income between the ages of 50- 70; after that the collectors die along with all their fond memories that would fuel one to pay crazy money for antiquated technology. After those Fiero memories are gone, there will be little upward movement on the value of our Fieros.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I paid a fair price for my 88GT w/ 14k miles on it last month. Was it worth what I paid for it? Depends on who you ask. For me? ABSOLUTELY! Maybe its because I could afford what I wanted, or maybe I was just sick of throwing $$ at a ragged out Fiero.. I dont know. It came down to 3 cars while I was shopping, a 67 Corvair Monza, 91 GMC Syclone and the 88GT. All were on ebay at the time. The Sy was really sucking me in.. it had only 10k miles and was also all original. But in the end, the 14k mile, 100% unmolested Fiero won. Of course now, after buying the car and having it built to what I have always wanted, I could have purchased the other car on my bucket list, the last of the proper M3's, and E46 (2001-2006). And a damn nice one at that!

Granted, she aint a virgin anymore! Some may cringe but, I'd rather start with an excellent condition car and go from there. That is exactly what I did.

YMMV

------------------
Whodeanie built 1988 Fiero GT, loaded, 14k original miles, F23, built L67 swap, ST2 cam and matching valvetrain, PT67 bb turbo, w2a charge-cooled ----400-500whp?????? More mods when I get it back (interior, suspension, lighting etc). Stay tuned!
1987 Fiero GT Road Racer. 1st documented 3.4TDC swap- built in 1994. 5MT Isuzu, Quaife prototype LSD, HT Tubular A-arms, Fully poly & Heim jointed suspension, Custom 3 way adjustible sway bars, HT Bump Steer kit, Koin's, 320# springs, GA brakes, ZEX N20 and more! Under full restoration.
2007 Toyota Tacoma Double cab Prerunner SR5 Stock, and staying that way.
2009 KTM 250SX motocross bike. Modded and fun as hell!

PerKr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the value of fieros will only go down in the next 10 years, unfortunately. It just wasn't one of those cars people dreamt wet dreams about even back in the 80´s. Just stop to think. If you grew up in the 80´s, which cars stuck in your mind? For me, it's the Countach, the Lotus Esprit, the Testarossa, the C4 ZR1 and the 3rd gen Firebird and Camaro. Add to that the kitcar connection doing more harm than good and the manufacturers moving towards electric cars... I simply can't find any reason why the fiero would go up in value.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Why would there be any large financial interest in a Merra as a "Ferrari like" when you can get a 308GTB for less than $30k. It sets a low ceiling imo.

Another reason "why" a Fiero will never gain any real value, because it is considered a disposable car that can be made into a replica. You don't see Mustang, Camero, (or any classic car) turned into something else, then re-badge and flaunted as something else. If anything all classics are modified or tweaked and nobody mistakenly identifies it as something else (past or present). Fieros on the other hand are like a birth mark or mole on the face. We all know it's a birth defect and it can become of thing of beauty, but you know there's somebody with a fake one. Therefore, everybody is going to ask you if it's real or fake.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here we go again. Us kit car builders bear the burden of responsibility for the Fiero never gaining any real value in the collector car market.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Why would there be any large financial interest in a Merra as a "Ferrari like" when you can get a 308GTB for less than $30k. It sets a low ceiling imo.

I think Paul is correct here. There were many more actual 308's produced than Mera's. Even though the Mera is a look a like, It was only available as a new car ordered thru a Pontiac dealer, and is documented as such. Due to attrition and modification, it is hard finding a Mera that still has all the factory emblems on it. Most original owners removed them and installed Ferrari emblems. Now it seems some current Mera owners are actually trying to reproduce the factory lettering, and get as much documentation on their cars as possible. While 308 kits assembled on Fiero are similar, they are not documented Mera's.

Due to rust problems, many electrical issues, weak A/C systems, suspensions that require expensive rebuilds, and extremely high parts, and maintenace costs, most 308's are seldom driven. 308's will require more spent on them than what they are worth if a major repair is necessary. Mera's on the other hand are inexpensive to repair, (other than finding replacment quality bodywork). Maintained properly they can be driven 100,000 miles without having to replace an expensive timing belts (more than once), adjust valves, and keep a high strung engine tuned properly. Some Mera owners have installed power plants that will leave a 308 in the dust and still have less in their cars. Nothing against a 308, but a Mera can be a daily driver. If you do that in a 308 you better have deep pockets.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:
I think Paul is correct here... Due to rust problems, many electrical issues, weak A/C systems, suspensions that require expensive rebuilds, and extremely high parts, and maintenace costs, most 308's are seldom driven...

While what you say it true, I'm not sure how it relates to what no2pencil was saying. I think he meant that the Mera (being a replica) will never approach the value of the real thing, and if the real thing's value is down the tubes, then so too will the Mera's. That's obviously true but a car's value isn't static. If one day the 308 becomes even a tenth as desirable as the GTO did, I think you'd see the value of the Mera increase too. Look at the Shelby Cobras... before the economy crashed, the replicas sold for between $40 to $80K... not because they cost that much money to build, but because they represented something many people desire... real or otherwise.

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

While what you say it true, I'm not sure how it relates to what no2pencil was saying. I think he meant that the Mera (being a replica) will never approach the value of the real thing, and if the real thing's value is down the tubes, then so too will the Mera's. That's obviously true but a car's value isn't static. If one day the 308 becomes even a tenth as desirable as the GTO did, I think you'd see the value of the Mera increase too. Look at the Shelby Cobras... before the economy crashed, the replicas sold for between $40 to $80K... not because they cost that much money to build, but because they represented something many people desire... real or otherwise.

I agree with you. A pristine 308 will be worth more than a pristine Mera. However a pristine Mera would be a better buy than a bargain 308 that need lots of repairs at this time. If 308 prices skyrocket then a rough 308 might make economic sense to restore. The Cobra replicas have been, and continue to be produced in numbers far greater than the original cars. The Mera was produced in numbers far less than the original car. Because of this, I believe the Mera values will remain more stable than the overproduced Cobra replicas. To me, your 308 kit would be more desirable than a real 308 because of its rarity, and performance. 308 owners might take offense with this, but I would trade everday driveability, over a tempermental older exotic.
sebw8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sebw8891Send a Private Message to sebw8891Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if they are not worth much with low miles why not keep some of them stock for what they are not for money but to keep some of the nice ones the way they were built im not against the body kits and engine swaps but if you have a super nice one why ruin it or rack up the miles itll just end up being one less real fiero around..but i think the value will go up a bit they wont ever be a high price car but i dont think theyll end up like the corvair
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to worry...my MERA will stay stock. I figure in stock form with low miles and a fresh headliner it will be worth somewhere from $12k to $14k. Needeing a little bit of work...around $10k.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those that think they wont appreciate in value, I think you're wrong. The less there are, the more they will be worth. Plain and simple. When I bought my car 2mo ago, I paid more for it than any other Fiero I have owned. And I bought my 1st one in the early 90's.

And yes to the kit builder, you guys do get the blame for much of the Fiero stigma. Shody builds, terrible service, rip offs... OMG the list goes on and on. I am not saying YOU did it, but for every one good Kit builder, there are 50 bad ones. I have always said, kit cars are the best, and worse thing to happen to Fieros.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just updating this old post. It does look like values are on the increase. Its not hard to notice, just try to buy an 88 GT with manual trans, they are getting hard to find.
Mine only being in vehicle condition 3 on the below link has gone over 9 grand up about 1200 since the beginning of the year according to Hagerty Insurance. With that all said I think I could get between 6 and 7 grand out of it. Of course it's not for sale but probably would be for 9 G's.

https://www.hagerty.com/val...ch/Report?vbe=128802

[This message has been edited by Imnuts (edited 10-22-2015).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Will there be a demand someday for late 80s cars? Probably not.

I think for "car guys" there will, but there will be alot less "car guys" each year.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2015 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as they keep getting chopped up beyond recognition the originals will go up in value but no where near anything of significance. But I'd rather have it that way. It's the one car anybody can get into regardless of income.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to say...but if the US economy crashes...not a Damn thing!
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Sorry to say...but if the US economy crashes...not a Damn thing!

I was going to say the apocalypse, but that's close enough to the same thing for most people.
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont think theyll go up in value soon but i think theyll go up in popularity. Im 16 and i think its a miracle i discovered this car. Its good looking, just fast enough, relatively safe, and very inexpensive. Not to mention pretty easy to work on. Gets good mileage... i can go on and on. I think it will attract some more attention of young kids because they want everything i just named^ not a single one of my friends has seen it without dropping their jaw. The problem is, nobody knows what it is. I think if it had more recognition it'd be huge for people my age. And if that ever happened, id imagine theyd become more valuable. But hey. Just a 16 year olds 2 cents

------------------
87' GT 5 speed 😤 15 years old
My IG for daily motivation: Alpha_Photos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by painandgain99:

I dont think theyll go up in value soon but i think theyll go up in popularity. Im 16 and i think its a miracle i discovered this car. Its good looking, just fast enough, relatively safe, and very inexpensive. Not to mention pretty easy to work on. Gets good mileage... i can go on and on. I think it will attract some more attention of young kids because they want everything i just named^ not a single one of my friends has seen it without dropping their jaw. The problem is, nobody knows what it is. I think if it had more recognition it'd be huge for people my age. And if that ever happened, id imagine theyd become more valuable. But hey. Just a 16 year olds 2 cents

Good points. How did you discover it, saw it in that movie?
painandgain99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for painandgain99Send a Private Message to painandgain99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Good points. How did you discover it, saw it in that movie?

While looking for a first car I saw an 88 formula in "pain and gain". Never having seen one before, i typed it into craigslist. Thinking id find some 20,000$ vintage car. And was amazed when 50 popped up starting at 500$. Then ran it past my grandpa and turned out he used to have one until 91 when i traded it for a truck. Made up my mind pretty quickly on the fiero 😊 he made is out to be a very interesting and fun car and im glad i took his word

[This message has been edited by painandgain99 (edited 10-23-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2015 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much will a pound of steel scrap go for in 10 years? How much will a gallon of fuel cost in 10 years? What will carbon tax be?

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prices have been going up for good clean cars. They will continue to go up at market rates. So many older cars now are selling at higher prices now even non descript cars that used to hold no value.

We will never see mega prices compared to other cars but if you have a clean original or well documented modified car with NO RUST you will be ok.

Now high mile rusted or marginally modified cars you will see them not move much. People are already afraid of a Fiero in many cases and one in poor or dire condition will still not perk interest from many.
Too many good ones out there you can get for less than the price it would take to make one in similar condition.
LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is going to be whatever the market demands,,and if one can see into the future as far as the market goes, than you have it made,, now i got a Fiero because i wanted one, and after doing the research on them the 88 was a no brainier, the one i want next is the INDY. One was offered to me but i didnt have the money, My opinion is our little cars will go up in value, but how much? ??????????
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2015 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would think around same except for the exceptional unmodified will be worth more.
88GaTa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2017 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GaTaSend a Private Message to 88GaTaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"One can always hope they get one as a main car in a fast and furious movie."

https://www.reddit.com/r/fi..._new_it_trailer_014/

Lol
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Years ago I was looking for a good used 308/328 and was at the import/kitcar show in Carlisle (when they were together). I saw my first look at kitcars and ended up buying an unbuilt kit from someone who got in over their head. Some people think a kitcar is just a body you drop on a chassis and your done. I decided to go with the kit because it had the same iconic look I loved, but easier and cheaper to maintain like mentioned above. It can cost $5000 for a Ferrari brake job or $25k for a good used engine or transaxle. Mine had a raceshop built 3.1 with the DS1 turbo and 4 speed. It outran real factory ones when I showed up a few at a big car show locally once, and the real owners demanded my car not parked in with their cars, but down in the kit section of the show. They parked cars by marque and Ferrari/Lamborghini were featured that year so I thought it fitting to park with them. I think real 308s were only rated mid 200s hp.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2017 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the OP written in 2012, we are half way to 10 years.
fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love working on the 87 fiero gt and driving it. The other day I came out of a store and a two young people were taking pictures of it. They and myself know the real worth of it and it ain't money.

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before we can have a discussion on projected collector car values we must recognize that the hobby/collectibles market in general is thinning. Few new people are entering it. Youth mostly ignores it and 80's era cars (with few exceptions) are not sought out by collectors. Even the prices of 80's era Vettes are in the mud.. In view of this I do not see the values of Fieros increasing much in 10 years from where they now sit but it doesn't matter to me. Fieros are fun cars to drive and I enjoy owning them.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2017 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Before we can have a discussion on projected collector car values we must recognize that the hobby/collectibles market in general is thinning. Few new people are entering it. Youth mostly ignores it and 80's era cars (with few exceptions) are not sought out by collectors. Even the prices of 80's era Vettes are in the mud.. In view of this I do not see the values of Fieros increasing much in 10 years from where they now sit but it doesn't matter to me. Fieros are fun cars to drive and I enjoy owning them.

Oh this load of crap..
The hobby isn't thinning, The vehicles of choice are changing, The days of it has to be rear drive and a v8 and from gm/ford/mopar, are history..
Young people are into cars but not the same cars.. There are car meets every night all season with young drivers but most are not driving what we'd call "hobby" or "collector" cars.. Face it , the BJ crowd have priced most out of that.. and todays 20 something don't want a big v8 that only goes 14 sec 1/4 and can't turn .

As for the 80' cars ..Only reason for this is lack of support, If they got 1/2 the parts support as the 55-57 chevy or 64-72 muscle have . they be .
Ever try to redo an interior with no replacements avail?? you have to for the 80's cars, but you have to have a very odd ball muscle car to have this issue..
They are coming around.. the performance models or the ones you can hop up, are not cheap anymore unless you point to clapped out junk..

As for the value of the 80's vettes, Welp.. The later ones have more power and handle just as good, if not better and don't beat you to death to do it..
The low buy in for clean 80's vettes is a good thing,, Don't knock it.. it's a platform that works, and has support of the aftermarket (unlike the Fiero) to restore it. and it is cheap and easy to fix the lack of power..

As for the original question topic of this thread..

I wonder if the 2018-19 mid engine vette will bring the Fiero back to life..
Meaning, Those that can't afford a 65-100k car, look to another mid engine and build off it, and that spark parts being made for it, for more updated swaps..
It can't be that hard to cast a spindle for the Fiero that will take a c4-5 bearing hub, or a f body hub.. or a hybrid bearing hub with better guts..
I think the new vette will bring the market of already swapped 3800s/c or v8 Fiero's up.. As those that test drive a vette but can't buy one, might go looking for other options..
It be nice if someone like painless or American auto wire would step up and make a swap harness. or even just a harness with wire and the user has to put terminals on the wires he/she will use..

Best part of the 80's vehicles is they are still affordable and the auction faux collectors have not looked at them hard yet..
It took a long time for the 2nd gen f bodies to get some love, now you can't touch a nice 77-78 t/a for under 25k or a 20th.

Many forget that much of the hobby/collector car market was built on the use of home loans as the home values went up, people refi'd to buy the car they always wanted, that dried up.. Very few have the means to buy a car then dump 10-30k into it.. unlike the late 90's early 2000's..
I am the age of those that was in high school when these 80's cars were new.. and wanted one or a few off.. Sure they were not fast, but the monte SS and the 85-89 t/a just look awesome..
This age group is just exiting the years of children in college , That took any extra funds they had , and the 2006-2015 economy didn't do anyone any favors..
Now that these parents will be done with college bills.. They might just want the car they wanted in h/s or had..
This hobby, like every not needed to get by item took a big hit the last decade..
Biggest hurdle for this hobby, the intolerance of the older members, of the next generation to carry the torch!!!.. They hate their cars, their music and the way they talk, walk and look.. This must change.. You don't have to like it all, just like your parents didn't like your music/threads/talk, etc.. but the intolerance needs to go..
Most would not stay at a car show that was playing nothing but todays hip hop, yet car shows are stuck in the 50's playing only oldies.. And wonder why the younger car guys/gals are not at the old school shows..
They don't want to here their music sucks, they are lazy, mindless zombies with their heads in their phones, that their cars choices suck.. etc/etc/
You'd think many have learned from the rod guys that used to turn their nose up at the muscle car guys, and not do it to the new breed, but no..
There is a "meet" where I work every week, they come after midnight and fill the parking lot, and some go off in pairs.. and then come back.. I'll let you fill in the blank on what they do.. It is packed, but most of the cars are not what much of the old guard would think of as vehicle of choice to hop up.. and I'll bet if there is 4 people over 25 I'd be shocked..
I asked why I never see them at the car cruises/shows.. And they made it clear that much of those in those cruises/shows don't welcome them..or their cars.. as it doesn't fit what they call a collector car a muscle car or a hot rod.. And they don't feel the need to be around a group that thinks they are all mindless idiots..
Trust me, many of these cars would smoke much of the muscle/rods at these standard shows/cruises..
This intolerance will be why the old guard thinks the hobby is die'n..
It isn't they just have no use for people that belittle them and their cars.. to their face or on f/b or car forums.. behind screen names.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 08-06-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speaking from some experience FIero prices are going nowhere. I have a mint 88 Formula up for sale at the moment (1,800 miles) and I doubt I could get $4K for it. I paid $6 k for it 10 years ago. But that is ok as I am not in a hurry to sell and I like the car. Only reason I am selling is just got a mint no miles yellow formula with T-bars. That side worked out well cause it was a really nice car that has not appreciated either in 10 years and not likley to in the future. While as they said above nice ones are getting scarcer it is demand not rarity that determines the price. From what I have seen Fiero enhtusiats are getting older and there simply are not very many new entrants into the Fiero world. So as the number of Fiero enthusasts decline so too does the demand and the prices follow as time progresses.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
formulaWA

$4,000 for a mint 1800mi. Formula. Hate to tell you this, but that car would sell in a heartbeat in the Metro Detroit area for $6,000-7,000. On a good day you would get more. For the seller that would seem low. For the buyer the 6-7 number would be very fair for such a low mile car nice car. I recently sold a '86SE with 50,000 mi. in good shape for approx. $5000, with no lack of response to the ad.

True, the overall market, timing and luck pretty much set the value of your sale. How many really want an '80's Vette yet they are priced inline with our Fieros. Are Fiero prices going anywhere? Just watch the other '80's cars. Overall it may take some years for the collecting group to get past the dislike for many of the '80's cars, Fiero included.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 08-08-2017).]

wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is this 1800 mile formula advertised??
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2017 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
autotrader
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2017 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As for supplemental info to my post about the car hobby thinning; go to any large auto show . Take a look and you will see many less collector cars there than even 5 years back. Look at the age of the owners. Its mostly a bunch of middle age guys. Then look at the youth market. They never heard of many of the cars of yesteryear. Couple this with the fact that most college grads can't get good paying jobs in their chosen vocation. Point is that the collector/hobby car market is one supported by disposable income. Today's generation has little. Yes they will still buy cars but not special interest, hobby or collector cars. The hobby is thinning. The numbers at the shows do not lie. Fiero values are not going anywhere anytime soon.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2017 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

As for supplemental info to my post about the car hobby thinning; go to any large auto show . Take a look and you will see many less collector cars there than even 5 years back. Look at the age of the owners. Its mostly a bunch of middle age guys. Then look at the youth market. They never heard of many of the cars of yesteryear. Couple this with the fact that most college grads can't get good paying jobs in their chosen vocation. Point is that the collector/hobby car market is one supported by disposable income. Today's generation has little. Yes they will still buy cars but not special interest, hobby or collector cars. The hobby is thinning. The numbers at the shows do not lie. Fiero values are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Problem is you are judging this off shows they just don't go to..
It be like say'n chevy guys are leaving the hobby while only going to ford shows..
The youth, has had it with being told they are mindless twats , and know how the older folks feel and think of them as they read it on forums, f/b, etc.. that's all they see/hear so they stick to they're own.. and do their own cruises(meets) . They have no use for the ole school show crowd.. and why should they. Would you hang with people that talk behind your back??
Hobby is fine, Those that think they are going to sell their overpriced muscle car to todays youth are in for a well earned shock..
I like the cars(era) I grew up around, same with my dad and his dad.. yet many in this hobby somehow think that todays youth should be interested in cars that are 40-70 years old.. and claim the hobby is contracting because they are not.. They are into '90-2017 cars, cause that is what they grew up around
but if a guy should up with a 90's supra it get laughed away from the show.. or an civic.. the muscle car era ended FORTY FIVE YEARS AGO youth born in 1995 or later have no connection to any of these.. nor to the 80's cars..
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2017 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When in doubt about the collector car market consult with the experts. In this case this chart was compiled by Haggerty, a respected insurance and appraisal company.

As you can see the values are at 53% of what they were just a few years ago. The know it alls will always disagree but the numbers from the experts show the true picture.
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-12-2017).]

Keel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2017 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeelSend a Private Message to KeelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^^^ So posting about those that see the hobby as nothing more than an investment/money.. makes your point..
BRB I forgot to take my stupid pill this morning..
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2017 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Keel:

^^^^^^^ So posting about those that see the hobby as nothing more than an investment/money.. makes your point..
BRB I forgot to take my stupid pill this morning..

The subject of the post is about Fiero values and what they will be worth in 10 years. That' s a legitimate question for curiosity or whatever. I don't believe that there are very many in the Fiero hobby that buy them for investment.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock