87 base cleanup by kendallville
Started on: 04-20-2012 12:28 PM
Replies: 145 (5344 views)
Last post by: kendallville on 03-18-2019 01:12 PM
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It warmed up a little today so I decided to put my radio back in. I had sent it to Southern Electronics and had it repaired.
They repaired the display, and put a new bezel on it because some of the clips that hold it to the front of the radio
were broke .
First I disconnected the battery, then plugged in the antenna , and power cords ( I left it open from removal )

Then it just goes back in the dash being careful not to pinch the wires, or to force anything .

I then reconnected the battery to test the radio. I hate putting things back together then finding out that it does not
work. A size 10 not driver works to tighten up the screws holding in the radio.

Display works , cd works , and radio works, then its just a matter of putting the faceplate back on , takes a
size t15 torx
IP: Logged
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just noticed started rebuilding the car and this tread 2 years ago, and still not done.
Well at least it runs , can't go anywhere yet but I can sit and listen to the radio
Need to get my tire or wheel , and fuel gage problems fixed so I can go for a long drive.

[This message has been edited by kendallville (edited 04-23-2014).]

Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of tire problem are you having?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

3170 posts
Member since Dec 2013
I put Fuzion 195/70-14 tires on my 85 2M4 when I was restoring it and I am very happy with them. They haven't even been balanced and I have no vibration at speeds up to 75 mph. I got them from TireBuyer.com for less than $200 for all 4 with free shipping. Your work on the car looks excellent, keep it up.
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kendallville:

I recieved my floor mats today they look good, and fit good.

compared the material to the ones in my sons 86 close to the same look

a little different loop but close enough and the logo looks great.

Keep them looking great, here's a post I did after the Daytona event that will help you keep those mats looking new forever.

"Here's one of the latest product Russ makes. (Russ88ttop)

This product saved my mats during the bad weather we had at Daytona this year.
I can't tell you how much I love this product.

It still lets you show off your mats while protecting them and keeping them brand new."

See thru mat protectors
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

What kind of tire problem are you having?

Can't find tires I like that fit and can't afford the ones I find I like my hub caps but I also
like the stock lace wheels . There is a bigger selection of tires for the 15 inch lace so I think I am going
to switch . I wanted to stick to raised white letter tires like the stock tires that came on the car but to much $.

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:
Keep them looking great, here's a post I did after the Daytona event that will help you keep those mats looking new forever.

That's a good looking idea thanks will have to check that out, not to steal an Idea but might be able to talk my wife into
making some for me she does a lot of sewing for other people.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Met a new Forum member today Had a nice talk , and better yet got the next step in my cleanup project.

A big THANK YOU to member olejoedad for the new rims, was very nice to meet you
I would like to go on one of the runs that your clubs are planning in Michigan .
For now let the cleanup begin.

[This message has been edited by kendallville (edited 04-28-2014).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have you on our list.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

I have you on our list.

Thanks , sounds like a lot of fun, hope to have the car ready to go soon.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my new rims clean and shiny , just no tires. Far to many medical bills.
New project making plans to use my neighbors lift and help to drop the gas tank and
replace the fuel sending unit with one that works. I have plugged the new one in and it works
out of the tank so I hope it works in the tank. Will try to post pics and info.
Now to wait for a chance at the lift , he has a backlog of cars to work on first .
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The search for a fuel gage that works. Yes I believe we have found one but only time will tell.
Took the car next door to my neighbors shop and put the car on his lift to do the work.
It took 3 hours and 2 sending units to get one that works so we shall see.
Started by unplugging the fuel pump , then loosening the straps which we had to use a torch to
loosen the nuts on t bolts. we also removed the cross member so the tank would drop a little to
get to the hoses. Removing the tank was easier than expected , I thought it would be the difficult
part of the repair. It turned out the hard part was getting the unit to work. now some pics
first dropping the tank , a pic of the underside of the tank

car no tank , looks good no rust that is always a good thing.

now a look at the hoses under the car

fuel pump and sending unit out of car

No I had the unit in the car would not go under 1/4 and the new one that worked out of the car.
so we went to put the new one in but found during a repair I had broken on of the tabs that hold it shut.
so we attempted to repair , only to make things worse . We damaged the contact point and the unit no longer
worked . So we turned to the one in the car I cleaned the unit in hopes of getting it to work.
now the unit would go down to empty but now would not go over 1/4 exact opposite of what it was doing.
We eventually found that most of the old one was good , and the cover from the new one was good.
so by using parts from both we created life.

now I know it worked out of the tank , and seems to work in the tank . We all know that the only way to tell
if it is working is wait and see if it goes up and down as I use gas , and then refill the tank.
funny though it did not take long to get the tank out or in , but took a long time to get one to work.
Now I would still like to get new clamps for the coolant lines , and maybe the hard brake lines done this year.
I might go with new locks of dew wipes, not sure what I will be able to do because I would love to have time
for one more thing this year DRIVE IT !!!

[This message has been edited by kendallville (edited 05-27-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First an update the fuel gage still does not work now it only goes down to half , some day it will have to be replaced.
Now the new drove the car for the first time in the dark in a long time and the driver side headlight looked like it was
blinking. checked the light and found that it was bouncing the retainer ring was broke had to repair and put back together.

Then I added a little something new to make things look good

One bad thing the trunk popper switch went bad so I will have to have that replaced .
" If you are not working on it all the time it's not a Fiero "
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kendallville:

See thru mat protectors

This product saved my mats during the bad weather we had at Daytona this year.
I can't tell you how much I love this product.

It still lets you show off your mats while protecting them and keeping them brand new.

That's actually pretty funny when you think about it. Mats are to protect the carpet. Now there are "see through mat protectors". What's next, covers for the mat protectors?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-15-2014).]

kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still don't have the money to switch to my new rims , and now I lost a hub cap
looks sad with only 3 . I have been looking along the road but no luck. there is always
some thing not working or missing.
edit to add now I went out to the car and found my driver side seat ripped, just fell apart.
Looks like the material dried out and started falling apart, maybe the heat got to it.

[This message has been edited by kendallville (edited 07-22-2014).]

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an extra seat belt buckle if you need it. 10 bucks plus what ever shipping is and it's yours
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car will probably stay in storage a lot this year ( no income and way to many medical bills )
however I did get some center caps for my gt rims if I ever get tires. I like them they add color.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great thread! You've don't amazing work...starting as someone who seemed nervous to touch anything mechanical, to ending up tackling absolutely anything and everything! I like how you've managed this without just throwing money at it. It proves that with a little bit of skill, time and effort, you can really give new life to a car whilst sticking to a tight budget. Great job!
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

showing off the new shoes , hope to go back to replaceing parts . hope fiero store
gets thier new fuel level sending units soon.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on the A/C to get it to work before it gets hot . I replaced the compressor when I replaced the Duke, but never
replaced anything else to get it to work. Now I replaced the accumulator and the orifice tube. Next will be a vacuum test,
and if it holds fill with R134. I hope I do not have to replace the condenser or lines.
I hope everything works

kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far this spring I installed a new fuel gage sending unit from the Fiero Store. It's nice having a gage that works.
worked on the speedo.
I also replaced the Auto Lock-Up Solenoid. firsts time to open up a tranny.
If I can get it to post pics I will do a write up. It is a lot different for the 87,
88 duke than it is for a six cyl. Not real hard but time consuming. You have to support the tranny from underneath and take
out the support that encases the entire end of the tranny, and the mount it sits on.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow just read up on the thread!!! Really impressed with your progress! Most of the stuff you did already I am putting off because I am weary of having my Fiero out of commission for any amount of time since I love driving it so much!

Keep up the good work!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PFF
System Bot
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2018 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow can't believe that I have not posted any progress for two years.
Not doing much now just installing new locks from the Fiero Store doors and deck lid, new dew wipes, and taking
the old tint off of the windows while I have every thing apart. The PO had installed it and it has gone bad over time.
I was surprised to find it was purple and not gray ( thought they were all gray ). I like the look of the tint and it cuts
down on the light in the car so I will be replacing it. not sure what one I want , I got a kit with both 20 % and 35 %.
I don't have my camera ( one of my kids took it ) so I am taking pictures with my phone . I just don't know how to get them out.
I would like to change the metal brake lines but doubt the budget goes that far.
I do need to work on the calibers. I think the slides are rusted they are sticking some.
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2018 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does take time to do these refurbishments. But you saved another one and it looks really nice! Good job.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2018 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
going to try to post some pics of replacing the dew wipes and locks .

deck lid lock

driver door
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2018 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great to see you posting again. I was worried about you.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't believe it's been 10 years . This year I would like to replace the steel brake lines , slides in the break calibers , might have to have the radio worked on ,
got to track down why the speedometer acts up. The big one is I never got the A/C to work and that would be nice.
Maybe some more paint touch up like the rear bumper. Now if I can stay healthy long enough, plus I pretty much gave up on The 86 Gt more work than I
can do. I have missed being on here so may be I can stay this year.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock