Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Very happy with this firewall insulation!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Very happy with this firewall insulation! by Boostdreamer
Started on: 04-09-2012 06:38 PM
Replies: 11 (1279 views)
Last post by: Notalented on 03-22-2016 09:02 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just received my order for my firewall insulation and I'm very pleased. I ordered it from eBay and it arrived quickly. I pulled it out of the box and unrolled it and it feels like it is very high quality. I think it will look great and it should perform great as well. The product is called MightyMatt and I got the 1/2 inch thickness with reflective foil on one side. I'm not associated with the company in any way. Here is a link to the eBay auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140...id=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'll be putting it into my '85 and I'll be sure to show pics in my build thread linked in my signature.

------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie w/ 88 cradle, '87 2.8/Getrag, Air, PW, PDL, PM - Still under construction
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was searching Ebay and found this product as well, and ordered some today. They now make it with foil on both sides, and you can get 1/4" or 1/2" thickness. I wanted something to give some heat protection as well as be resistant to underhood temps. This stuff is Heat resistant up to 1200 degrees. They have a great video showing how well it protects on You-Tube.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vmJ_lU33M

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything was better than the crappy OEM stuff that did nothing but get filthy. I took it out of all mine and just left it plain. But your stuff looks pretty good.
slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any good way to paint or coat this stuff black so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in the engine compartment?
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would imagine that this could be painted- it's just aluminum foil, so standard paint prep ( maybe use sand free instead of sanding)

I found a different product that was black (Dynaliner made by Dynamat), but it doesn't have the same high heat capability. It is sold as an Underhood Insulator in black, or available in silver as Hoodliner-- good to 225F or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYN...eXL8ze2jkIuQ&vxp=mtr

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't used it yet, but I baught some of this Lava Mat. It has a carbonfiber look and has good heat protection.
I'm going to do my bumper exhaust pockets in it. If it goes good I'll do the whole firewall in it too. Not cheap stuff though!
https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/lava-shield

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 01-30-2016).]

paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2016 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats not cheap for heatshield product? Sounds good for some of my work.
Ron T

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2016 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Double post

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 01-30-2016).]

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2016 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That stuff looks like regular HVAC duct wrap. You can get a 4ft x 25ft roll of pipe wrap for about $40- http://www.buyinsulationpro...uct-wrap-insulation/
or if you wanted the white fiberglass, it is about $70- http://www.zoro.com/johns-m...d7U8DeA&gclsrc=aw.ds
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see a LOT of firewalls on different cars, along with fenderwells, at car shows now painted with bedliner. As for just painting the aluminum, rubberized undercoating will work just fine, and can be painted over with even body color if you want. NO prep required other than cleaning off grease and oil.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reporting back after installing my Lava sheild insulation. It's nice stuff to work with and installs easy. It looks nice once it's in. Similar to carbon fiber. It reminds me of the carbon tubs used on exotics. I haven't put the engine in to get impressions on sound/heat suppression yet. I'll report back once the engine is in.

PFF
System Bot
Notalented

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotalentedSend a Private Message to NotalentedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a little bit more work with sanding and prep but lizard skin would do what you're looking for as thermal and sound proofing.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock