Got another one! by hercimer01
Started on: 03-27-2012 07:13 PM
Replies: 78 (4684 views)
Last post by: jediperk on 07-07-2014 08:14 AM
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gonna be my DD, 88 Coupe 4 cyl. I have an extra 4t60 laying around Ill throw in it. what should my gas mileage be?

Yes there's another one in the garage too.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 01-13-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
docholliday

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2012 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dochollidaySend a Private Message to dochollidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

what should my gas mileage be?

Not sure, but it should improve once you get that tire aired up! LOL

------------------
Mike in Indy

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah the guy I bought it from was the original owner. He just pulled it out of storage Where is it has been for the last 10 years. He put a new fuel pump on it and fix a brake line. It needs the full treatment. I have the original title.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 11-11-2012).]

McTamney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McTamneySend a Private Message to McTamneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by docholliday:

Not sure, but it should improve once you get that tire aired up! LOL

Lol I had someone try to tell me you get better gas mileage with lower tire pressure cause its more tire pushing the car? I don't get it
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread will be my maintenance record for the car.

I haven't done anything with the car till now.
Yesterday i swapped out the rear calipers for front ones and I put all new brake pads on it. I really dislike messing around with the 88 rear calipers.

I do have the car up on jack stands. I pulled the gas tank to inspect it. Sure enough it was full of rust on the inside, so I picked up another one. I'm giving it the POR-15 treatment this afternoon before I put it in if I can get up out of this chair. LOL.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 09-26-2012).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008

Actually I forgot. I did put new tires on it when I still had money.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2012 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got the tank cleaned up. There was a pinhole under the strap so I put some PR-1440 B-2 (fuel tank sealer) on it.
I got some POR-15 also to paint it.

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2012 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by McTamney:

Lol I had someone try to tell me you get better gas mileage with lower tire pressure cause its more tire pushing the car? I don't get it

Wow weren't they misguided. Over inflate your tyres and you get a rougher ride, but better mileage.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
POR-15

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008

My new camera in this new phone stinks. I'm getting another one.
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that looks really good!
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on the brake lines now. Heres the P/N for the brake lines. The fronts and rears after the splitter are 3/16" and the main one to the rear is 6mm. The lines have bubble flares and can be made using a double flare tool. Just don't do the second step.

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it now has new tires, a restored gas tank, and all new brake lines with new pads now.
I'm glad i went through it, the guy I bought it from tried to use prefab double flare lines on it for patches spliced in.
He put a new fuel pump in it but I just didn't trust the guy as a mechanic. So I dropped the tank and sure enough it was rusty inside.
I should be able to tear up the streets of Chicago with no problems now.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2012 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually it's not ready. I was bleeding the brakes and discovered a bad rear brake hose. I'll be able to pick up a new on Saturday.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can some one take a look at my trouble shooting thread please for the infamous Duke stumble?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/125553.html
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2012 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm pretty sure I fixed it. It had a stumble when it was cold when you would goose the throttle.
I started with the vacuum lines which one was bad.
Then I checked the EGR valve, it wouldn't hold enough vacuum to activate it. It was definitely bad so I replaced it.
That didn't fix it so I took the MAT sensor out and it was all clogged up. I replaced it and it accelerates 98 percent better.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moving on to more stuff to fix. Now that its running somewhat OK, I found this. A big hole! the catalytic converter is going bad too.

I have the exhaust from my 86 GT. I wonder if its worth it to cut that up and use that or just buy a muffler. I haven't priced one yet.

Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a cherry Bomb from Ebay for around 50.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the the 86 GT exhaust a direct replacement? Will it just bolt in? I don't know how the manifold bolts up between the two?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 exhaust is different than my 86 out in the shed. I ended up just putting a straight pipe in to replace the cat and a Thrush Turbo muffler.

I changed the fuel pressure regulator plus did an Idle reset on the IAC. This completely solved the stumble.

However there is still an issue when I try to start it hot or cold.. The fuel pressure only got up to 8PSI on the first key cycle, the second time trying to start it would get the pressure up to 10 PSI, then it would start.
When I shut the engine off the pressure would drop to zero in 3 seconds.
Then the pressure gauge I was using crapped out at this point. I got a replacement gauge and it did the same thing, the schrader valve wouldn't work right on the GM TBI adapter.
I changed the fuel pump and still no change and now I don't know what the pressure is doing because I can't find a good pressure tester.
The fuel injector doesn't appear to be leaking, the connector hose between the pump and sending unit are brand new and there are no leaks in any fittings.
It's late and Im tired.
PFF
System Bot
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the exact same problem with start up on our '94 4.6 v-8 thunderbird.
(It is an injector problem in my opinion.)
One or more of your injectors is possibly bleeding down when the car is off.
I found two of mine that were leaking, one badly.
I replaced the whole set because of their age.
Even one of the new ones turned out to be bad. turned it back in for another.
Voila'
Replaced them and the pressure is up first turn of the key. Starts like a top, hot or cold.
Also improved my accelleration response.

(I too used to jhave to crank long till I had done the doublekey trick. No more problems.
Check them out.)

Other possibilities:
If that is not it, have your pcm (ford) checked. it controls the injectors. they start to act up when they get very old.
Don't know if Pontiac used a pcm or what they called it to control the injectors.
Are your injector 'o'rings all good making a tight seal, not letting air in? I always replace mine every time I get a new =(used) car.

Good luck .
~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 11-05-2012).]

DaveC

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaveCSend a Private Message to DaveCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a pretty straight car. You should see mileage in the lower to mid 30's. Best year for a 4 cyl. car too. Nice score!

[This message has been edited by DaveC (edited 11-06-2012).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed the fuel injector Orings and screens. It wasn't fully seated when I went to pull it out. Now it starts at the end of the first crank try. Albeit a long one.
Edit; It fires right up now, two revolutions and its ON!

I just have to put in a muffler hanger and silicone the brake pads to the calipers or something so they dont drag so much.
Edit; I had a caliper that was dragging, and I put a Thrush turbo muffler on it. I would rather have a good muffler but this one will have to do for now.

Then well see what else turns up the closer I get to putting it on the road. Fingers crossed.

The interior smells like a twenty year old ash tray, somebody chain smoked in it. Pew.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 12-13-2012).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
Double post

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I started it up this morning, and it started on the first try!

Edit: It runs great too!!

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 11-11-2012).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I drove it 30 miles to work today! It made it just fine. It ran a little cold, I need to check the antifreeze level. Other than that it ran great.

Edit, The thermostat was stuck open. I can see light through it when hold it up to a light.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 11-29-2012).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the oil fill cap and that stopped most of the oil that was leaking down the passenger side of the engine.

However, theres a coolant leak down the passenger side of the engine. I assume the way its leaking down onto the cradle under the battery from the pulley area that its the pump. It has like 93K miles on it. I just ordered a pump from Rockauto.

Thanks Dave for the compliment.

bkfly1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkfly1Click Here to visit bkfly1's HomePageSend a Private Message to bkfly1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be leaking from the tensioner too. There's a coolant passage behind the tensioner arm. Be careful with the tensioner too...those can be hard to find.

BK

------------------
86 GT 5-speed, 88 Coupe Auto
Technical Director, NIFE
www.fierofocus.com

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You were right Bill. It was the tensioner. The bolts were loose as a goose. I redid the gasket and cleaned it up. The water pump is dry.
Edit; I ran it tonight and let it got up to temp. I pulled it into the garage and let it run after I drove it some, not a drop of anything underneath. Yay!

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 12-29-2012).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a good car. Should make a great dd. I plan on using my Indy as a dd in the summer to save on gas. Have you driven enough to tell what you are getting for fuel mileage?

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove it 60 highway miles then fueled up again. I figured 28-29 MPG. I have a 4-speed auto I want to put in but we'll see.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
This is my Christmas present to me! I am going to put power locks and windows in it so i can take Max my dog with me for rides. His breath really stinks so I figure the power windows will help!

The panels cleaned up nicely.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 12-31-2012).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well. I got the drivers side working. I ended up swapping in the guts off the donor door.

The lock relay on the passenger side wouldnt ground very well so I put in a ground stud. I will put up a pic later.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hercimer01

2289 posts
Member since Mar 2008
I got the passenger side in.
I had an 88 Formula where the windows and locks were really slow to act. I even changed the switches with no effect.
Now seeing how everything is grounded I can see why.
These locks and windows pull great. the locks go on one pull, and the windows act brand new.
If your reading this and your stuff is slow, clean up the grounds in the passenger side before you waste money on new switches or the gizmo to speed things up.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 01-14-2013).]

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work on those door skins! Howd you get them so clean?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2013 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

Nice work on those door skins! Howd you get them so clean?

Clorox Cleanup with bleach. LOL

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 02-17-2013).]

hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2013 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on the stereo while I have the interior apart. Also putting in a remote start w/ keyless entry. And I've been building new Dew Wipes of my own creation.
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I got the Dew Wipes fabricated today and installed. They came out perfect.
I also tinted the windows today and got them installed.
I gave up on the aux stereo jack, I cant believe someone hasn't figured that out yet.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock