Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles (Page 16)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 88 Fiero GT 14k miles by BV MotorSports
Started on: 03-16-2012 02:48 PM
Replies: 1936 (68270 views)
Last post by: BV MotorSports on 01-13-2017 07:45 PM
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

in fact it would never start, and it most likely wouldnt move very well.

It ran like crap and the exhaust smell (fuel) was so strong, I have probably been poisoned.
IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You probably have a mechanical issue leaning it out to some degree then... vac leak, etc...

It really shouldnt run with almost double the fuel being delivered. What I dont get is how you didnt notice this on the wideband?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You probably have a mechanical issue leaning it out to some degree then... vac leak, etc...

It really shouldnt run with almost double the fuel being delivered. What I dont get is how you didnt notice this on the wideband?

What wideband? The only extra gauge in my car is the Aeroforce. While it supports a WBO2, I didn't purchase it. Once the car is tuned, there isnt any real need for plastering the dash with gauges.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 10-11-2012).]

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

What wideband? The only extra gauge in my car is the Aeroforce. While it supports a WBO2, I didn't purchase it. Once the car is tuned, there isnt any real need for plastering the dash with gauges.

I beg to differ. A wideband is basically a car's bible. Without it you are asking for trouble. A wideband and an Aeroforce scan gauge are the 2 most important gauges on a car like that. If I didn't have those gauges in my car, I'd be lost. Once the car is tuned, well you are going to have different air conditions changing the AFR on a daily basis.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rare87GT (edited 10-11-2012).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 10-14-2012).]

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would pick a wideband over any other gauge if I could only have one.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a wideband is extremely handy in times of diagnosis... and the second you wonder "hmm my car is running weird" to be able to look over at a gauge to see why is nice.

I will say that I hardly look at mine anymore... but my car has not given me a motor related issue in awhile.... At the track i usually reference the wideband info every run, but I am looking for peak performance.....

The narrowband voltage if the car has one should give you an idea of what is going on as well as the LTFTs. All points an "experience turbo'er" should know to check before driving their car.... and you just said you have an areoforce.
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yo have your way, I have mine. Once the car is tuned properly, there is no need for any additional gauges IMO. I have been into turbo cars for 15yrs. I have never had a NEED for a WBO2 AFTER the car was tuned. I am not saying running one is a bad idea. I am not saying that having some way to monitor the critical outputs is a bad thing... I am saying its not something I feel I NEED to do.

YMMV

Edit, BTW you have a bad ass notchie! What is your front wheel & tire size? How much neg camber are you running?

I understand what you mean by once it's properly tuned, but there are different air conditions, lean spikes for no reason, etc, etc. To know the car is running lean in a run, to get out of it, or to even make additional changes for the track and be able to monitor it, it's a lifesaver. Just my opinion especially since I have HP Tuners always to adjust tunes on the fly.

The wheel size in the picture is 275/40/17 Mickey's on the back and 215/45/17 up front. Wheels are 17 x 7's. Now I'm running just a Nitto 555R Drag radial in a 245/45/17 tire size on the back as I liked something that fit a bit better on my rims.

-Amir

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by Rare87GT:
I understand what you mean by once it's properly tuned, but there are different air conditions, lean spikes for no reason, etc, etc. To know the car is running lean in a run, to get out of it, or to even make additional changes for the track and be able to monitor it, it's a lifesaver. Just my opinion especially since I have HP Tuners always to adjust tunes on the fly.

The wheel size in the picture is 275/40/17 Mickey's on the back and 215/45/17 up front. Wheels are 17 x 7's. Now I'm running just a Nitto 555R Drag radial in a 245/45/17 tire size on the back as I liked something that fit a bit better on my rims.

-Amir

I agree with everything you said. Its definitely not a bad thing to have. Again, I just dont see the need for one (once the car is tuned). I don't road trip my car and I am no tuner.

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

-Amir

I'm running the same... 215/45/17 up front on 17 x 7's and 245/45/17's on the rears on 17 x 8's, staggered for my '88. I think this is a good size for our cars.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went all the way back to page one and found it..

17x7 5x100 ET 40 front
18x8 5x100 ET 35 rear

Wrapped in Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports
225/45/17 front
255/40/18 rear

I do agree, I think the 215 section width is the better size up front.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
done blowed up

------------------
11.54@132.7

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2012 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably a little late to edit IMHO.

Tony
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Probably a little late to edit IMHO.

Tony

Not for reasons you think.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2012 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I still stand by my PMs. I hope that it works out correctly for BOTH parties.

Tony
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Well, I still stand by my PMs. I hope that it works out correctly for BOTH parties.

Tony

Fair enough Tony, thanks.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thinking of reasons.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BV, been thinking about the mileage and mod things...14 days and 100 miles per day would still only make it a 15.2k mile car. This shouldn't change its value or damaged it that much. I do agree that no maintenance/mod facility should drive a customers car without the customers knowledge. Definitely should not unplug the speedo! Not saying it did or did not happen. Just saying it should not.

When you talk of costs and body mods, and the fact that paint would be very expensive, how would you account for Dean having it painted at such a low quote? To me it would appear that it only included the mod to be set in primer ready for you to paint.

Lastly, I don't think (and this is just my opinion) that anyone doubts you have an issue that needs to be addressed. Sometimes expectations and communications don't meet in the middle and the two parties have totally different pictures in their head. Let me use the military as an example of what I mean. Tell all four branches to secure a building. The Marines begin supressing fire while moving two man assault drills enter the 90 degree side clearing room by room. The Army starts roving patrols while stationing men at each door as a check point for entry parameters. The Navy does a walk around locking up each window and door ensuring no entry without permission. The Air Force secures a lease with the option to buy. All have done exactly what the message states. Did they do what the message inteded? That depends on the requester. What is for certain is that the intent was not clearly communicated.

My explaination means simply this: sometimes the delivery of the message is as important as the content. The majority of your posts here are very condescending and trivializing. Very attacking and demeaning you might say. I have never met you so I will cast no judgement on you. In fact, I would always help a Fiero owner in need. My intent is just to maybe give you some insight into why people consistently "challenge" you. Not meant as a slam or anything. Just trying to help and maybe give you a different perspective on events and reactions.
PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I just found about these threads some how... I really hope your car gets back in track after all that extra work on your part, what happened is so not cool. On the plus side your engine looks freaking cool! I'm doing my swap 3800sc just by myself so when I hear was it 13k+? I flipped! Then again mine isn't too custom just pretty looking, Goodluck I want to see more progress!

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

BV, been thinking about the mileage and mod things...14 days and 100 miles per day would still only make it a 15.2k mile car. This shouldn't change its value or damaged it that much. I do agree that no maintenance/mod facility should drive a customers car without the customers knowledge. Definitely should not unplug the speedo! Not saying it did or did not happen. Just saying it should not.

True... it wasn't his to drive, it wasn't his place. There was ZERO justification for driving the car. Period. Disconnecting the VSS is fraud.. actually the legal term Mike used eludes me atm.

When you talk of costs and body mods, and the fact that paint would be very expensive, how would you account for Dean having it painted at such a low quote? To me it would appear that it only included the mod to be set in primer ready for you to paint.

The paint & body were extra. Once I got a quote from his guy, I passed. It was way too expensive just to paint a few panels. We are talking full re-spray cost. The desicion was made not to touch the paint or stock body panels. The main rule was NOT to alter or cut my VIN# matching panels. Spare panels were to be used. Of course that didnt happen, my stock panels were modified.

Lastly, I don't think (and this is just my opinion) that anyone doubts you have an issue that needs to be addressed. Sometimes expectations and communications don't meet in the middle and the two parties have totally different pictures in their head. Let me use the military as an example of what I mean. Tell all four branches to secure a building. The Marines begin supressing fire while moving two man assault drills enter the 90 degree side clearing room by room. The Army starts roving patrols while stationing men at each door as a check point for entry parameters. The Navy does a walk around locking up each window and door ensuring no entry without permission. The Air Force secures a lease with the option to buy. All have done exactly what the message states. Did they do what the message inteded? That depends on the requester. What is for certain is that the intent was not clearly communicated.

I lol'd at the USAF bit.. Dean and I spoke at great length about what I wanted and expected. Dean is very good at making promises, its the follow-thru that is lacking.

My explaination means simply this: sometimes the delivery of the message is as important as the content. The majority of your posts here are very condescending and trivializing. Very attacking and demeaning you might say. I have never met you so I will cast no judgement on you. In fact, I would always help a Fiero owner in need. My intent is just to maybe give you some insight into why people consistently "challenge" you. Not meant as a slam or anything. Just trying to help and maybe give you a different perspective on events and reactions.

You are right. Its kind of funny how it would work. I'd call or text for an update, I'd get nothing. I post a passive aggressive comment here, and BAM, I get an update.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 10-15-2012).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I, for one, want to see that turbo car finished up and painted!!! I think it looks massively cool and can't wait to hear it finished! I would think, since you are a detail junkie like me, no matter what was done I would have found something that we be revamped. You appear to have much more mechanical capabilities than I do so mine are usually small where yours might be more involved/indepth.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-01-2016).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

Steve, I cut your badges in very thick material so they could be filled with translucent resin (yellow) and back lit (like a side marker) the details will push it over the top.

That will be a very interesting detail!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

Steve, I cut your badges in very thick material so they could be filled with translucent resin (yellow) and back lit (like a side marker) the details will push it over the top.

Now that would be cool... any info on this? The badges themselves are insanely detailed, that would put them right over the top!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
AFR was 20:1. Static FP was 22psi. Charlie can not get the FP to raise, so either the Aeromotive 300lph pump or Aeromotive RRFPR is defective. Regardless, the smoking issue is terminal. The rings are not sealing. Freggen awesome.

Thanks Dean.. thanks a lot. Fire your engine builder.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unlikely that the pump is causing issues if the fuel pressure is steady. The fuel pressure reg should be adjustable... if it seems to be stuck you might want to tap on it a bit.

As far as the rings not sealing... the only real cause for that could be really bad fueling for a significant amount of time.... Its really hard to screw up oil rings on pistons....

I would still suspect your turbo is smoking if it is only at specific rpms.... bad oil rings would create a smokeshow at all times. I would also like to see you drive it with real AFR going out the exhaust for a very extended period of time.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel pressure is probably a FPR problem. Whenever I've had a vacuum line off the wideband reads 20:1. Can't be a vacuum leak though cause everyone knows to do a boost leak check when you put stuff together.

------------------
11.54@132.7

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie wants to pull the engine and send it to his engine guy. He also wants to move the turbo to the back left of the engine bay. This would allow the drain to be routed properly, the exhaust could be routed correctly and I agree with the idea. LOL Thats where I wanted it all along. However, I should have built the car in the 1st place, so now I am going to do just that.

For those that DO care, its going to be a while before the 88 hits the streets.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 10-16-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Git' er dun!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Git' er dun!

Why do you act nice over here yet support Dean in his thread? We all know Dean aint gonna do jack about my engine...
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Charlie wants to pull the engine and send it to his engine guy. He also wants to move the turbo to the back left of the engine bay. This would allow the drain to be routed properly, the exhaust could be routed correctly and I agree with the idea. LOL Thats where I wanted it all along. However, I should have built the car in the 1st place, so now I am going to do just that.

For those that DO care, its going to be a while before the 88 hits the streets.

Something smells fishy here... I really doubt the engine has bad oil rings... throwing money at problems is hardly ever the best way to fix a problem.

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I take no sides in this arguement. I am educated enough to know there are not two, but three sides to this story...your version of the truth, Dean's version of the truth, and the actual truth somewhere in between.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Something smells fishy here... I really doubt the engine has bad oil rings... throwing money at problems is hardly ever the best way to fix a problem.

You are right about that. Its not about throwing money at the car... lol been there, done that, its about repairing it. The absolute last thing I want is to have to tear it apart. I am dead serious about that.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001

I take no sides in this arguement. I am educated enough to know there are not two, but three sides to this story...the truth, Deans story, and the crap some PFF members want to believe.

Fixed!
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow just wow. I havent posted in either thread. Just been reading. I wish both of you luck in working things out.

But even with the smiley man. Misquoting someone to suit your agenda is wrong. No matter if it was supposed to be in jest.

Good luck with your car.

[This message has been edited by HIOSILVER! (edited 10-16-2012).]

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I actually saw your neg ratings bar move....
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah seriously.... it doesnt matter if I am right. Anyone that even remotely hints at agreeing gets neg'd. It not that I dont appreciate the support, I just dont want those of you to get slammed in the process. Look at realshadow, he was almost speed banned.

Silver, its a common method to quote and change what someone wrote. The whole "Fixed" thing is old school interwebz stuff. And yes, its typically tongue-in-cheek. I tossed you a + but my one rating isn't going to help you much.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 10-16-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 49 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock