Vinyl wrapping the Fiero GT by jwrape
Started on: 03-14-2012 05:18 AM
Replies: 71 (7771 views)
Last post by: 85sliverGT on 06-15-2014 11:18 AM
jwrape

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started the Vinyl process on my Hood on Monday....
It went pretty well, I learned a few things and got a groove for it. It's definately not for the faint at heart, but it works and looks cool.
I bought gloss black vinyl but in reality it looks more like a Satin black. In the pics it looks slightly more glossy but it's Satin.

One thing is, IT"S VERY TIME CONSUMING. it took me 2 hours to do the hood.
Here's the pics

When I started, my hood looked like this:
Black Rustoleum wet sanded and smooth, with the exception of the drivers side light lid

You lay it half on starting from the middle and squeegy it out towards the ends.

Have it laid here but not all the bubles worked out

GOt it laid, 95% of the bubbles out, stretched a little where I had to.

I continued throughout the day watching it for bubbles and re-heating corners that might have come up after it sat. I drove it to work today.
Looks better after a day of sitting and laying down more.

THe one thing, if there are any un-smooth imperfections on your the body below it, it will show through.
I am going to re-do the driverside headlight cover due to rough paint under the vinyl.....
BUT it's one and really cool looking. Gonna get some more and start doing the rest of the car. BUT in my case I need to wet sand the rest of the body to get the trash out of the paint to lay the vinyl down nice.
I could leave it and cover it but then it looks like a bad paint job with trash all in it and that's what I'm trying to get away from.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For some reason I thought it would be glossier?
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

For some reason I thought it would be glossier?

ME TOO!

I emailed the guy I bought it from and asked if he might have sent the wrong kind..... We will see. It's easy to re-do, just time consuming. It's kinda fun to do. Like painting real quickly with less prep.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to work with vinyl for a living, even did many a wrap.

I am thinking of doing my GT in flat black this summer.

A couple pieces of advice, there are some great vinyls out there for vehicle wraps, much more forgiving than the older stuff (Cast vs Calendered and 2mil vs 3 mil thickness), make sure you are getting the correct kind. 3M make great vinyls but so do other companies such as AVERY. Ask the vendor for what they would sell for complete wraps. Often they have vinyls that have "conform" technology and air channels so bubbles are almost a non issue these days.

Get a good vinyl installers "squeegee" and as you pointed out the surface of the substrate being overlayed must be immaculate. a good idea is to wipe the surface with 99% rubbing alcohol.

I believe there is another "sign shop" guy that contributes to the site, he may have some suggestions as well.

oh and looking good so far!!
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

I used to work with vinyl for a living, even did many a wrap.

I am thinking of doing my GT in flat black this summer.

A couple pieces of advice, there are some great vinyls out there for vehicle wraps, much more forgiving than the older stuff (Cast vs Calendered and 2mil vs 3 mil thickness), make sure you are getting the correct kind. 3M make great vinyls but so do other companies such as AVERY. Ask the vendor for what they would sell for complete wraps. Often they have vinyls that have "conform" technology and air channels so bubbles are almost a non issue these days.

Get a good vinyl installers "squeegee" and as you pointed out the surface of the substrate being overlayed must be immaculate. a good idea is to wipe the surface with 99% rubbing alcohol.

I believe there is another "sign shop" guy that contributes to the site, he may have some suggestions as well.

Thanks, yea the guy just responded back about the color. He said he has a glossier version from 3m. This is 3m material, but the other is called Oracal black, it is glossier. I like the black that I have, although I was intending on it being glossier. It will be more of a Satin black than a gloss, but actually the further you step away the glossier it looks. Kinda strange. But either way I will get a solid durable color on the car for the next 5-8 years. Don't think I will keep it that long but it should preserve the car for whom ever has it when I ever I decide to get rid of it.

The stretch of it is pretty good. Can pull it about 2" before it discolors. Found that out the hard way. Past 2" it will break as well.
------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

[This message has been edited by jwrape (edited 03-14-2012).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The down side could be stone chips. It will be interesting. What is the thickness? I have 3M clear protective film on the front of one vehicle, but that stuff is pretty thick.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

The down side could be stone chips. It will be interesting. What is the thickness? I have 3M clear protective film on the front of one vehicle, but that stuff is pretty thick.

It's pretty tough and protective,
Check this out
http://youtu.be/2KqmblaSHt4

They also make the wrap in clear to be used as a stone guard

[This message has been edited by jwrape (edited 03-14-2012).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your whole car gonna be black or are you doing any graphics, or different colors? Seems this is perfect for graphics they could print them on the vinyl just like the advertisement cars ya see driving around.

The pontiac lettering on the headlight door will be too small for it to sink into?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-14-2012).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I missed it but what's the point to wrapping it? I would do it in a heartbeat if a sponsor was paying me, but on my own not so much.
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Where can you buy 99% Isopropyl alcohol? Highest I've seen is 91% at Walgreens in here in the states.

^This! Though I did love your gunmetal paint job, at least from your pictures. Though I do know what you mean when you say it was a 10 footer, as mine is a 10-15 footer itself and I would love to re-paint it.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Where can you buy 99% Isopropyl alcohol? Highest I've seen is 91% at Walgreens in here in the states.

Electronics supply stores for one... It's used for cleaning circuit boards and such. Doesn't leave a residue like the stuff you buy in the store that has skin conditioners or whatever in it. It's a "bit" more expensive than the store stuff though.

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 03-14-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I had mine done by a local company. For my next one I will do a better job preping. After several weeks of being my daily driver there have been no problems.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow SSN669chris that car looks Awesome can we see pics from all sides and how much did they charge for the wrap if you dont mind me asking

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-15-2012).]

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

The pontiac lettering on the headlight door will be too small for it to sink into?

No it sunk into it. With a heat gun this stuff fits to any uneven surface. It stretches really well

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jwrape

1000 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Originally posted by jscott1:

Maybe I missed it but what's the point to wrapping it? I would do it in a heartbeat if a sponsor was paying me, but on my own not so much.

I get to put a durable straight color on the car the is rock chip resistant and although my car looks good the color it is, there are tons of chips where the factory RED comes through the gray and the gray also has tons of trash as well as being very uneven.
This gives me a even solid color and will look clean and newer. I want the car to be clean and not look like a 25 yr old car..
EDIT: Oh and it will be about $2500 less than a real paint job. I never wanted to spend $3000 on a $1500 car. Doesn't seem reasonable. Rather put the other money into upgrades otherwise.

[This message has been edited by jwrape (edited 03-15-2012).]

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jwrape

1000 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Originally posted by SSN669chris:

I had mine done by a local company. For my next one I will do a better job preping. After several weeks of being my daily driver there have been no problems.

Where are your seems? I am doing my best not to have seems but it does look like I will have two seems on the roof since it is one continuous panel from the side up to the roof.
The rest will be seemless.

I am can only afford to do a solid color. Although I might add some Carbon Fiber on the Mirrors, hood and Deck, just for a slight contrast. But can remove it if I don't like it.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

[This message has been edited by jwrape (edited 03-15-2012).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What was the cost?
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

99% is not a necessity, 91% would work as well, just something to take any grease or contaminants off. I've used Methyl Hydrate and other high alcohol type cleaners.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

newf

8704 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by jwrape:

Where are your seems? I am doing my best not to have seems but it does look like I will have two seems on the roof since it is one continuous panel from the side up to the roof.
The rest will be seemless.

I am can only afford to do a solid color. Although I might add some Carbon Fiber on the Mirrors, hood and Deck, just for a slight contrast. But can remove it if I don't like it.

A couple of small seams on the pillars shouldn't be too noticable. Your biggest challenge in my opinion is going to be doing your front and rear bumper, convex curves can be very tricky especially if you are not using a premium vinyl.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 03-15-2012).]

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

currently for sale on craigslist chicago .

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
88 Yellow GT

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A couple of small seems on the pillars shouldn't be too noticable. Your biggest challenge in my opinion is going to be doing your front and rear bumper, convex curves can be very tricky especially if you are not using a premium vinyl.

It will be slightly more challenging but the vinyl I'm using is 3M. It should take it and work out well.
Although I have not tried it yet, I have seen it done a few times. It's not too bad. The Fiero front end is really not a super challenging front end compared to others I've seen.

Yea, a couple of Pillar seems were what I was thinking as well. Shouldn't be very obivous. Mayeb 12" away you can see them, but not too much further away.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

PFF
System Bot
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

currently for sale on craigslist chicago .

I saw that one. I like it but it's not worth $6500

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jwrape:

It will be slightly more challenging but the vinyl I'm using is 3M. It should take it and work out well.
Although I have not tried it yet, I have seen it done a few times. It's not too bad. The Fiero front end is really not a super challenging front end compared to others I've seen.

Yea, a couple of Pillar seems were what I was thinking as well. Shouldn't be very obivous. Mayeb 12" away you can see them, but not too much further away.

I like the confidence!! Good luck man, let us know how you make out, with pics of course.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2012 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the confidence!! Good luck man, let us know how you make out, with pics of course.

Thanks, Yea, I will post pics as I go

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea of vinyl you can get a custom look for a fraction of the cost and if you have a accident the graphics can be repaird to good as new if you store all the info . I wish i had the artistic tallent to design paint scheems i think that one could develop the skills to wrapp the vehicle all though i will say some are better than others doing thing's
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a nice alternative to paint. I would entice the idea of doing this myself. Jwrape, where did you get your vinyl from? Does O'Reilly's carry it?
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

This is a nice alternative to paint. I would entice the idea of doing this myself. Jwrape, where did you get your vinyl from? Does O'Reilly's carry it?

No, it's not sold at local stores. I got it off Ebay, but there are sign stores and custom stores that sell it.
PontiacStephen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacStephenSend a Private Message to PontiacStephenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow i like this idea. How much would it cost to maybe get a vehicle wrapping place to do it. Like the ones that do the wraps for businesses.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damn it where is my like button
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how many sq feet did you buy to cover the fiero
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2012 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Damn it where is my like button

Yeah I just can't stop looking at that awesome Pegasus!!
PFF
System Bot
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2012 05:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PontiacStephen:

Wow i like this idea. How much would it cost to maybe get a vehicle wrapping place to do it. Like the ones that do the wraps for businesses.

From what I have heard/read, it's $2000-$3000 to have it done. If you take the leap of faith and do it yourself, the material is about $450-$500 for a standard color. Designs are more from what I have read.

I am sure you can get it a little cheaper around town if you shop it, but it's not cheap to have it done for you due to the labor involved. Very Labor intensive. Took me about 1.5 or 2 hours to do the hood, but then again it would get a little quicker as you get used to it, but you still have to work it until the bubbles and creases are gone.

I'm buying it one piece at a time. A 60"x60" piece at a time. Cost $54 shipped for plain black or Matte Silver. Depending upon the color the cost goes up. I am really going for the cheapest wrap out there and will add a little Carbon fiber for accents, but not too much. I'm not a HUGE Carbon Fiber fan but I like it when it's toned down and simple.

The Matte Black and the Carbon Fiber are the cheapest wraps because they sell more of them than the other colors. My hood is "called" Gloss black but it's more of a Satin.

I would say the only thing I didn't realize was the finger prints that you have to wipe off every time you touch it. But other than that, I love just looking at it. Looks like you have a coating on the car and it's really durable.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2012 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jwrape

1000 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Just found a good deal on a 20 ft. x 60" roll for $134
http://www.amazon.com/Carbo...-Sheet/dp/B005KO5XP8

I'm not much for Carbon Fiber, but I like the Silver Carbon Fiber. I think I might have to try it.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2012 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see a fiero owner taking on the vinyl wrap project. I kinda like the satin look its almost got a suede kind of look found on older hot rods.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like this Blue Chrome and the car is all right to

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-17-2012).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2012 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Metro has the chrome but it is only 2 ft wide so if you make your seams at trim level on the sides you can make it look all right and cover the othe seams with racing stripes it could be done for about $600 i think http://www.metrorestyling.com/

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-17-2012).]

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2012 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

Metro has the chrome but it is only 2 ft wide so if you make your seams at trim level on the sides you can make it look all right and cover the othe seams with racing stripes it could be done fore about $600 i think http://www.metrorestyling.com/

Yea, that's rich folk Wrap. I'm cheap as they come, LOL
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2012 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might try there black chrome and add 2 red or blue 6 inch wide stripes down the middle
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So how has this project been progressing?

Also, I may have missed it but where did you get your wrap from? Which product is it specifically? I like the satin look it has. Should be really nice when you finish it.

[This message has been edited by GraterFang (edited 03-29-2012).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is awesome.

I had a di-noc on my roof but have painted it satin black now looked too cheesy for me. Vinyl decals on sides.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock