Started on: 03-09-2012 07:23 PM
Replies: 35 (1728 views)
Last post by: XThirtySeven on 10-31-2013 04:25 PM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so I have been looking at swapping out the stock mirrors for a while. I looked at A LOT of options, like the new Camaro, and even some foreign cars. I knew I was not going to be able to afford the exotic $500 options. I wanted to use the small triangle area that we don't use for anything, and other makes use for the mirror mounting location. I also knew that I could not just mount the mirror up to that triangle piece of plastic, so in my head, I designed a metal plate that I would mount to the door and put the mirror it. Now, before I started, I had to get the mirrors. As I drove around for the last few months I would note which mirrors looked like they were a close fit to the area I wanted to use. A lot of really great looking mirrors looked close, and unfortunally they were always the expensive ones. Finally I noticed that the 97 Chevy Lumina mirror was a close fit. I got lucky and a few weeks ago, a 97 Lumina was parked next to a 88 Fiero coupe in the junk yard. I did some initial measuring, and it was a perfect fit. I removed the drivers/passengers side mirrors and paid $26 buck each. Now I had my mirrors.

So first I removed the stock ones, and then I had to remove the plastic triangle piece to make room. Once the plastic trim piece was removed, I could see I had lots of room. A cardboard template was made and transfered to steel and then after a lot of trial and error, the brackets were done. The pictures below show the driverside bracket being fitted, and was taken after the passenger side was done. The driverside was a lot faster once we figured out all the small details. The bracket does not show the support added to keep it from flexing. The side picture with the mirror mounted was taken in my garage late last night (because I forgot to take one of the car in the shop with all the lights and room). Also, just for kicks, I photoshopped over the hole in the door just to get an idea of what it will look like. The other shots show the hole still in the door skin.

Anyway, just wanted to post these. Overall, I just love the look. It is exactly what I was looking for.

More pictures when I can.

Special thanks to Asa at Outlaws Rod and Customs. http://outlaws.smugmug.com/

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 03-09-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it !
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!

Is that an expired sticker? Don't give em a reason to pull you over!

Jim
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

Looks good!

Is that an expired sticker? Don't give em a reason to pull you over!

Jim

yep, I had to get the mirrors on. If the wx is good in the AM, im headed out for a new sticker
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like one of the better swaps I have seen. Have any more pictures from different angles?
SSN669chris

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you planning on some kind of trim cover on the inside to finish it off?

Nice job!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Are you planning on some kind of trim cover on the inside to finish it off?

Nice job!

yea, its not done yet, these pics were taken as we were mocking it up, getting the shape right and the fitting of the mirrors. I still have to do the paint and finish work.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001
some daylight shots. Lighting is not the best, its high noon so lots of shadow. Its a very subtle mod, most will not even notice it. Overall shape and location is very close to stock.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 03-10-2012).]

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

some daylight shots. Lighting is not the best, its high noon so lots of shadow. Its a very subtle mod, most will not even notice it. Overall shape and location is very close to stock.

Rob

Sweet! I just saw these same mirrors a few weeks ago and wondered if anyone had tried them. Nice mod

Dr. W.

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen III replacement GT trunk seals with solid molded corners are now in production. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

before and after shots

Rob
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by infinitewill:
Sweet! I just saw these same mirrors a few weeks ago and wondered if anyone had tried them. Nice mod

Dr. W.

Thanks
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

before and after shots

Rob

Nice. The mirror cleans up the ugly triangular area of our cars. Is the newer mirror lighter? You should post your pics on the mirror thread.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Nice. The mirror cleans up the ugly triangular area of our cars. Is the newer mirror lighter? You should post your pics on the mirror thread.

Thanks. I posted to that thread earler.

Yes, they are way lighter then the stock ones. They are made of plastic vice the metal stock ones. Also, I removed the wire harness, because I am using them as maual mirrors now. Manual in the sence that I have to manually move the mirror to the correct position by hand.

Rob
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look great! Do they stick out from the body a little more than stock? Also, how's the viewable area through the mirror? I would imagine that the mirror itself has a little more surface area but visibly noticeable from the drivers seat?
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2012 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is an awesome car.
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2012 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice mod, How much more bracing was needed?
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, this bracket is only 16 gauge, and it does flex. It has a tab welded on in the "L" area and that stops the flexing for the lower half. When the door is closed the bracket contacts the frame just before full closed, so it forms a nice tight seal against the frame. There is no way to push the mirror up (into the frame of the car) when closed and if you push down on the mirror then yes, you could just bend the bracket. It only moves a few MM before the bottom of the mirror touch's the door skin, so it can only "bend" so much. It would have to break off the car first.

Only issue right now is that the metal area I mounted the bracket too is thin and bends very easy. Just below this top thin gauge metal is a very thick metel area that supports the door hinge. We had to drill through the thin door skin area with some self tapping screws just to get the bracket to stay. The top metal area of the door is more for looks than support.

Its ugly when open, but closed it looks good. I was looking over the other thread about "modern mirrors" and I love the Red GT on page 5. The 3/16 steel brackets he made for the mirrors is perfect, and for my "version 2.0" I am going to do up some brackets and weld them on the door just like he did.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

That is an awesome car.

Thanks.

Rob
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have yet to look at that area of the a-pillar, but is there any reason you couldn't remove the inside trim and simply bolt them to the pillar? It's not easy to tell from the pics whether or not there would be interference with the window while the door is open.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2012 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doober:

I have yet to look at that area of the a-pillar, but is there any reason you couldn't remove the inside trim and simply bolt them to the pillar? It's not easy to tell from the pics whether or not there would be interference with the window while the door is open.

There would be interference with the window.
The door swings forward just enough to contact a fixed mirror.
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

There would be interference with the window.
The door swings forward just enough to contact a fixed mirror.

Yep, the area will not work for a mirror like this. Others have done it, but they have used mirrors that have a longer support arm. Im still watching for others I like, if I find some smaller ones, I'll use them too. Now that I have done this much, it should be easy to modify another set of brackets to fit other mirrors. More on "version 2.0"

Rob
CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the inside, maybe you can modify and use the plastic triangle from the opposite side? Attach securely to the inside of your plate and it might even help to strengthen the entire assemby.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What holds the triangular Black plastic piece on?
I found one small phillips screw on the underside, but I couldn`t see any more.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are also screws up under the door seal.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2012 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, thanks!!
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your welcome!
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2012 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I can get to two of the three screws and the one on front was difficult because it is up under the plastic for the pillar.
The top one looks most difficult to reach, but I decided not to push it until I got my mirrors in, which I just ordered.
In case anyone wonders, I made a template of the triangular piece on the Fiero and compared it to the piece on my son`s BMW 318I and they are almost identical.
Thus, I ordered M-3 mirrors, which the mid 90`s M-3 and the 3-series are basically the same body.
When I start to adapt the M-3 mirrors to the Fiero I will start a new thread.
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just love the occasional thread where all the pictures are red X's.................
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny, I don't see a single red X. Must be on your end.
docholliday

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dochollidaySend a Private Message to dochollidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

I just love the occasional thread where all the pictures are red X's.................

Must be a problem with your PC and/or service provider. I am getting all of them too.
PFF
System Bot
Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks great. I honestly hate the stock mirrors on the Fiero. The fact that they don't collapse makes them even worse. They are the perfect height for a 6yo kid who isn't paying attention. We've had many an injury in this family.

I wonder, instead of using metal to hold it, what if you fabricated the same shape using a piece of 1/4" Lexan?
That stuff is strong, rigid, and can take a pounding. Hell they use the stuff to make bullet-proof windows.

Thanks for the contribution.

-Tod
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-24-2012 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ayrow:
I wonder, instead of using metal to hold it, what if you fabricated the same shape using a piece of 1/4" Lexan?
That stuff is strong, rigid, and can take a pounding. Hell they use the stuff to make bullet-proof windows.

Lexan is too rigid/stiff to be good for this. It is incredibly hard to bend or shape to the correct angle. Anyone doing it really needs to be someone who does it professionally for a living, and has been doing it for a while. Trying to bend a flat sheet of lexan in your garage at home will probably result in it breaking, or getting ruined by heat. Steel and aluminum are much more forgiving here. I don't see any reason to not use them for this, unless investing a significantly large sum of money to lose a few ounces of weight right there is somehow worthwhile to you.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input guys. The 16 gauge metal is too thin, but its working fine. I found another thread that has info on upgraded mirrors and posted a few other pics there. I like the metal bracket that is being used on the Red GT in the last few pics on that thread. I plan to do that on version 2.0 As for the removal of rhe plastic triangle, I could not get it off either, so I cut it off. I knew I was going to do this, so I didn't care that I was cutting it off. After it is removed, you see how much room you have to work with. While I didn't measure any other mirrors, from my observations many look as if they fit, the more expensive, the better.

Rob
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I found another thread that has info on upgraded mirrors and posted a few other pics there.

Rob

Here's the link
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074449.html

Jonathan

XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love this car and the mirror mod

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock