Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  DC Plasma Build Thread - 9 Second Fiero (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
DC Plasma Build Thread - 9 Second Fiero by dcplasma
Started on: 01-15-2012 05:34 PM
Replies: 92 (5470 views)
Last post by: buddycraigg on 03-11-2024 08:07 PM
PURPLE REIGN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Its your own damn fault you are using gas.

WTF ????? and yours runs off what ????

actually mine runs off corn
IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

WTF ????? and yours runs off what ????

actually mine runs off corn

E98, and the other 2% is not gas.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure thats exactly available around here....
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

Not sure thats exactly available around here....

Look around enough and you will probably find something.

I havent paid much more than 2bucks a gallon yet.
normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2012 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
picture of Johns car starting out, without head light buckets

Another front with headlight buckets, for comparison. Thanks Norm

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the moderator is going to have to change the name of the thread topic to DC Plasma - Nine Second Fiero

We ran a 9.898 at 134.4 mph in Bradenton Florida on Feb 23rd at the NEDRA Nationals.
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dcplasma:

Well, the moderator is going to have to change the name of the thread topic to DC Plasma - Nine Second Fiero

We ran a 9.898 at 134.4 mph in Bradenton Florida on Feb 23rd at the NEDRA Nationals.

Fluff yeah!!!!!

Congrats!!!!

Crazy flippin fast!!!!
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the time slip.

We ran against Shawn Lawless in his S11 Lemonjuice pickup. He ran in the tens. It was the quickest pro-modified electric drag race of all time.
This 9 second run makes DC Plasma the fastest Electric Conversion "Car" in the world.
I met someone who also had a Fiero there. I wonder if he is on this forum? Maybe he could chime in.

[This message has been edited by dcplasma (edited 02-29-2012).]

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Makes me teary eyed seeing a Fiero hit 9's.

Congrats again!!!!

You have 37 posts on this Forum and you're already changing the whole scene.

[This message has been edited by TheRealShadowX (edited 02-26-2012).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!

You should PM Cliff and ask him to change the title to 9 Second Fiero!
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome run man.... congrats on being what I consider the first full body fiero into the nines!! I kinda figured you would make it from the looks of your previous runs and knowing what little I know about this stuff. So is this faster than the white zombie now? I know you said you were the fastest in class ever just not sure of the classes. Very impressive power that is for sure. Only problem I have here is THERE IS NO VIDEO FOR US TO WATCH!!! what the hell man? Don't hold out on us....haha peace

Pete

PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great job! Where is the video???

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is so awesome! Great job!!
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
much congrats sir.
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

I have a 270MB gopro mp4 that is having trouble uploading and I know there were others, I promise I will post as soon as people get back home and upload them.
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2012 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump and congrats!!!
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

OK, here is the first video processed on youtube.

Happy viewing....

[This message has been edited by dcplasma (edited 04-29-2012).]

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK, here is the first video processed on youtube.

Happy viewing....

That just put the biggest grin on my face ever! CONGRATS MAN!
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that is what I call haulin' ass!! Amazing what electric power can do and nearly silent.... that is just too cool. I know that there are some on here who discount the electric car issue but personally I welcome the day when my daily driver is electric and I can tweak it to haul ass on the weekends... Bring on the technology!! Very Cool stuff. that pickup was no joke either it was not far behind and I am sure it was probably heavier overall... Peace

Pete
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:
So is this faster than the white zombie now? I know you said you were the fastest in class ever just not sure of the classes. Only problem I have here is THERE IS NO VIDEO FOR US TO WATCH!!! Pete

Yep, faster single run that the Zombie(10.2), he can still do his several times a night. I have to learn that. I don't have a big enough team to do all the maintenance required to get it turned around, recharged, cleaned, to run multiple times like that.

I hope you got your video fix in.

Metric

PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nioce.......Damn thing is moving.......
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hehe Yeah man I'm all good now.... Nice runs and I am sure we are all looking forward to you GOING FASTER!! Just crank up the kilowatts and let's see a mid nine okay How much would you say it has cost you to build this car to go that fast? Sure is smokin' and thanks for doing it with our beloved fiero....peace

Pete

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at that accel out of the hole! That's haulin' something serious!

Im now kinda curious again, since you mensioned a lack of team support for turnaround passes; What all is required for turnarounds and what kind of maintenance do you find you need? I imagine your commutator brushes tend to only last "X" number of passes?
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on this huge achievement

Nothing but respect!
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:
Very Cool stuff. that pickup was no joke either it was not far behind and I am sure it was probably heavier overall... Peace
Pete

The pickup is the fastest conversion truck in the world. here is a the gopro video from my car pointing at his. He weighs 3500lbs.

I am on facebook "John Metric" and our racing team is on facebook "Lonestar EV Racing"
you can see some other peoples videos on there.
why does the youtube brackets trick not work sometimes?

------------------
DC Plasma - 800 Battery HP 10.4 128mph
http://www.youtube.com/dcplasmaracing/

[This message has been edited by dcplasma (edited 03-18-2012).]

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Request sent from Tom, I'm going to be following your progress for sure. Can't wait to see whats next!
LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations! Now fix your signature

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

New combo : Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, otherwise stock L36.

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

Congratulations! Now fix your signature

Test

------------------
DC Plasma
900 Battery HP 1.551 6.321 112mph 9.898 134.4mph

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dcplasma

90 posts
Member since Apr 2011

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:
What all is required for turnarounds and what kind of maintenance do you find you need?

Yes, the motors need to have the carbon blown out. We put on about a months worth of wear in 10 seconds.
Recharging the main battery, the 12V auxiliary battery (especially at night), my netbook computer that I use for datalogging, checking tire pressure, axle nuts, lug nuts, downloading and analyzing data, camera reset, dry/heat windshield

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:
I imagine your commutator brushes tend to only last "X" number of passes?

Haven't seen the end due to other failures ending their life first. But I will check them this week and see what we have.

I haven't yet worn out a set, something else usually happens like insulation break down that leads to scrapping the motor

------------------
DC Plasma
http://www.youtube.com/dcplasmaracng/

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2012 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

why does the youtube brackets trick not work sometimes?

That time it was either because of the spaces between the tags and the url, or because you used the URL from your video page, instead of the regular URL.

Anyways, this video makes his 10 second run look slow!

PFF
System Bot
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweeeet!
i had to watch that vid 3 times!

congrats!
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgive me if you have mentioned this somewhere already, I looked and didn't see it explicitly listed: what's this thing weigh in race trim?
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2012 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ManMadeChickens:
Forgive me if you have mentioned this somewhere already, I looked and didn't see it explicitly listed: what's this thing weigh in race trim?

Weighed at home and at the track. 2750lbs with me in it. 2550 without me. 40/60 front/rear weight bias. nearly on center left to right bias.

With the 1.551 60 ft with 27" tires, I am swapping out the 3.08 for a 2.73. So I can try the Texas Mile in Beeville later this month.
Thats 2.73 IRS with a 28 spline spool.

------------------
DC Plasma

nitroheadz28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2012 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn I can't wait to see what it runs there!!!

Will you have to add any batts/ make any major changes apart from a gear swap for that run?

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 03-06-2012).]

dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2012 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:
Will you have to add any batts/ make any major changes apart from a gear swap for that run?

Yes, I am going to run the batteries and motors at 1/2 current level as I do for normal drag racing.
The heat build up is square of the current and I figure I can half the current, cut the heat build up in 1/4 and get to the one mile in about 4 times the elapsed time.
I expect about 140-160mph. That is faster than the top speed of the $130,000 TESLA. So i will have beat the Tesla on the dragstrip and the top speed and been competitive on the slalom course. They still get me for a host of other areas. range etc...

------------------
DC Plasma
http://www.youtube.com/dcplasmaracng/

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2012 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DC,
That is what I call a balls out badass EV fiero man, I am anxiously awaiting your performance in the measured mile. Good luck and go kick some EV ass!! haha peace

Pete
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2012 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DC,
I would love to be part of your "pit crew" at the TX mile!!
just let me know or even stop by in Austin on the way there and pick me up!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2012 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thread title changed from "DC Plasma Build Thread - 10 Second Fiero" to "DC Plasma Build Thread - 9 Second Fiero" per request of OP.
dcplasma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2012 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcplasmaClick Here to visit dcplasma's HomePageSend a Private Message to dcplasmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
Thread title changed from "DC Plasma Build Thread - 10 Second Fiero" to "DC Plasma Build Thread - 9 Second Fiero" per request of OP.

WOOT!!!

anyway here is some new video from that night, this time from the top of the stands.

There is also some new in car video but very foggy do to dew. I was very nervous, if you watch to the end you can hear me decompress on the ramp back in the pits.

Metric

------------------
DC Plasma

[This message has been edited by dcplasma (edited 04-29-2012).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: