Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  19's and 22's. No silly, windshield wipers. :) (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
19's and 22's. No silly, windshield wipers. :) by Tony Kania
Started on: 01-14-2012 10:37 AM
Replies: 43 (3564 views)
Last post by: zzzhuh on 11-11-2014 09:42 PM
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2012 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gave search a try? Is this a new idea?

I don't drive my GT in crappy weather if I don't have to. But lately the weather has been very dry up here, and I have been getting her out for some runs. Thing is, I never really use my wipers. Until recently, I probably popped them on a couple of times. It is like driving a Jeep. The wipers are 18", but the swept area is attrocious. Nothing like a newer car.

I took a look at our Audi, and noticed that the wipers were staggered? I did a little measuring on the Fiero, and figured that can be done here. So, after buying new wipers like 7 years ago, I went and grabbed a 19" for the passenger side, and a 22" for the driver side. The 19" is direct replacement. The 22" needs the plastic fastener off of the wiper before it. Just interchange the plastic fasteners, and installed the 22" wiper on the driver side.

What a difference in swept area. Like night and day. I needed to tweak the passenger side a bit, but only to stop it from hitting the hood. It did not need much. Even after a highway test, the wipers are just an interesting upgrade.

Tony

------------------

Fieroking Customs

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Gave search a try? Is this a new idea?

I don't drive my GT in crappy weather if I don't have to. But lately the weather has been very dry up here, and I have been getting her out for some runs. Thing is, I never really use my wipers. Until recently, I probably popped them on a couple of times. It is like driving a Jeep. The wipers are 18", but the swept area is attrocious. Nothing like a newer car.

I took a look at our Audi, and noticed that the wipers were staggered? I did a little measuring on the Fiero, and figured that can be done here. So, after buying new wipers like 7 years ago, I went and grabbed a 19" for the passenger side, and a 22" for the driver side. The 19" is direct replacement. The 22" needs the plastic fastener off of the wiper before it. Just interchange the plastic fasteners, and installed the 22" wiper on the driver side.

What a difference in swept area. Like night and day. I needed to tweak the passenger side a bit, but only to stop it from hitting the hood. It did not need much. Even after a highway test, the wipers are just an interesting upgrade.

Tony

Best thing I've ever seen you post on PFF. + for you.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2012 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the weekday crew.

Tony
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! I haven't really noticed a lack of area with my wipers on my Fiero, but that looks like a much larger area. This is kind of a dumb question, but is the wiper motor doing OK with the extra resistance of larger wiper blades?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job with posting your idea Tony.

Actually, I did this several years ago to a couple of my Fieros but, didn't think to tell anyone. Just goes to show who's using their head. Kudos to you.
Now, I'm searching for another wiper arm that will fit on our Fieros. I hate the old style pin arms and would like to move on to the newer U shaped designed. Much easier to change and a lot better wiper designs are available.

Again, nice post.

------------------
Ron
The key thing is to wake up breathing! All the rest can be fixed. (Except Stupid - You can't fix that)

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
find a friend and go halves
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol speeking of jeeps you should have seen me at pepboys with my buddy.... 13in blades are a joke.. they dont even have rainx laditudes for my jeep
Shill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is that your car? Did you get it painted? It looks very red.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

lol speeking of jeeps you should have seen me at pepboys with my buddy.... 13in blades are a joke.. they dont even have rainx laditudes for my jeep

lol i feel your pain pk have similar problems with mine. I will try that on the fiero, i don't drive mine in foul weather but rain happens. I wonder if there are any arms that use the hook type but will line up with the splines on the fiero's wiper studs.

ManMadeChickens

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2012 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn, Tony... you're like the Smartest Fiero guy I know. Why didn't I think of this?!
PFF
System Bot
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has never been posted?!? I have been doing this for years on all my cars and I could have contributed but didn't?!? At one point I even figured out how much extra area was cleared by the bigger wipers and it was impressive. IIRC it was over 100 sq inches. My only fear was extra load on the motor but pressed on anyway since I don't drive in the snow.

This brings up the question of why do automakers install the largest windshield that works with the design and then install wipers that will only clear ~50% of it?
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2012 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xyster:
This brings up the question of why do automakers install the largest windshield that works with the design and then install wipers that will only clear ~50% of it?

I wondered that myself... My only guess is they have 18 million wiper blades sitting in there parts bin
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2012 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

I wondered that myself... My only guess is they have 18 million wiper blades sitting in there parts bin

I would buy that except wipers have always been undersized.

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgot about this thread.

My F150 has been down for a week or so. I have been driving my Fiero in the weather, and I am so very happy that I did this. What a difference in swept area.

I have straightened out the drivers side wiper since the pic.

I see no issue with extra strain on the wiper motor. My old wipers chattered (I never, ever used them. ), and the new ones are super smooth. I even wipe snow off of the windsheild yesterday.

Thanks for the compliments. Those that drive their Fieros in weather should definately do this. Literally night and day with the addition of a few inches. (At least that what Amy says. )

Tony

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I even wipe snow off of the windsheild yesterday.

Snow? I was sitting in beautiful 63 degree, sunny weather here in this California winter. If you get tired of the snow, feel free to take the plunge into Cali

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-09-2012).]

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2012 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Supposed to be 51 degrees tomorrow. I wil be doing the heater core on my pick em up truck in my T shirt.

Did I ever mention that I hate you?

Tony
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2012 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread inspired me to try a bigger windshield wiper on my Fiero. As it turns out, a 24" wiper blade just barely fits on the driver side. The difference in "swept area" is huge!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blacktree if you are using 24" on drivers side are you using 19" on passenger side? How about a picture???
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero doesn't have a passenger side wiper arm, so I'm not sure if there are any clearance issues. But I do know that the 24" wiper blade covers almost the entire driver's side of the windshield, plus some of the passenger side. I actually don't need a passenger side wiper arm now, which was the goal from the start.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2012 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm? I would like to see a pic also. Interesting.

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 09-23-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting idea...something I would never consider on my own, I must admit. Our '03 Grand Am has staggered wipers which is a pain except if you just buy one set of each side the wipers only seem to last 6 months anyway and it's hard to find refills so usually end up replacing the whole blade.

I was actually considering switching to the beam type blades that most of the newer cars use. They seem to be very smooth and less prone to streaking even thought they are expensive and dont last very long in my experience. I am pretty picky about squeeky, chatering wipers. Looking forward to more pics of non-stock wipers.
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2012 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been refilling Bosch Icon wiper blades for years now, even though you "cant".. (ie: they don't want you to) I have yet to actually drive a Fiero in the past 4 or 5 years now, but I've had them on the Scion tC since new. If I ever get the Fiero back on the road I plan to do the same, with the largest blades I can get on there. I buy PIAA Super Silicone wiper refills (fairly cheap online, and work well), just remove the worn rubber from the Icon's and slide the PIAA's in. Helps to lube them up with a little dish soap as they're a tight fit (make sure to get the skinny refills!), and I think you need to nick the rubber in one place, it's fairly obvious when installing them. I like the flat Bosch design but can't see spending that much money on new blades every year when it's just the rubber that wears out.

Edit.. I think the Icon's only come in the "hook" type mounting style (could be wrong), so you'd need to do the wiper arm upgrade that's posted in another thread here somewhere. Another "to do" on the list...

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 10-02-2012).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-02-2012 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice,, sadly I'll have to wait on this as I just put new ones on...
want a good laugh, my 71c-10 wipers..lol
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I've waited a year to try this out, great idea! Thanks it makes a huge difference!
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy back from the dead Batman!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 21 & 19 works good.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also put the longer one on drivers side. Works a lot better.
CogFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CogFieroGTSend a Private Message to CogFieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also do this on all my vehicles, if I can.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What 22" wipers are you finding with a 3/16 pin mount? I can only find 1/4".
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

You could always just switch to the modern Hook-Style arms for more and better options.

------------------
'11 Subaru WRX
'04 Mazda RX8 Build Thread
My former Fiero- '88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph (Sold and gone now)
GM Tuners

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:
You could always just switch to the modern Hook-Style arms for more and better options.

Yes, RWDPLZ did a really great writeup about different arm styles.

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I switched over the pin to place the 22" wiper on, if that is what you are asking?
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, thanks!
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for a friend...
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought this was one of those 'free' Fiero upgrades everyone knew about already?
VF1Skullangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VF1SkullangelClick Here to visit VF1Skullangel's HomePageSend a Private Message to VF1SkullangelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was about to get my flaming on until you said Windshield wipers.
If I was still out in the midwest I would consider doing this to mine. But california RARELY gets rain.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Wrong thread!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 02-25-2014).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this yesterday. I used the cheepie Duralast from AutoZone. Drove threw a one hour storm this morning. What a difference.

The Duralast cheepie's had the 3/16 and the 1/4 inch holes. I just had to flip the little retainer 180*. I can add a photo tomorrow of the packages.
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know it's an old thread but has anyone tried dual 19s to see how they work.

The general rule (not sure where it came from) is that automakers used to leave a 1 inch tolerance with wipers so anything with an 18 can safely use a 17 or 19 without issues. That doesn't always seem true though as I'm pretty sure the Grand Am drivers side wiper is as large as it can be without hitting the outside of the windshield. I know when I worked at a shop we would often upsize blades one inch and I think there was a formula for staggering them but I can't remember it for sure.

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see what size works

In Arizona, you use your wipers about 5 days out of the year...
... then you replace them the following year because of dry rot from the sun, because they've been sitting and break the first time you use 'em.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock